Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bowls 10:04 - May 12 with 6379 viewswkj

Having moved spending many years in relative isolation I realise my friends have gone and had lives that have moved on, and while they are all still dear friends, they're rarely available, that and I don't live in Ipswich any more.

One thing our dear village does have is a good Bowls green, and I am noticing its a game getting more popular with younger folk and not just a game that seems exclusive to the older generation.

I have no clue really how to play it, but I know the rules as I've always had an interest in it. I am nervous going to the bowls club and asking to sign up (as well as an extreme fear of people), especially with flip all skill and experience. However, to help aide my recovery I really need to start integrating more and following up some hobbies, and bowls seems a good thing to look into.

Any of you chaps ever joined a bowls club on a whim, we're you seen as an inconvenience of an outsider, or made to feel welcome?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Bowls on 10:40 - May 12 with 5901 viewssoupytwist

I have no experience of bowls as an adult (my dad played a lot when I was a kid) but I thought I would reply to just encourage you to give it a go. The first step is often the most difficult but once you've made it things should get easier. Most village sports clubs are desperate for new members so you should get a reasonable welcome and it's not for you then you try something else but you will at least know you can make that step.

Go for it.
Bowls on 10:45 - May 12 with 5882 viewsWD19

Played it a couple of times in Felixstowe as a teenager and on holiday in my 20s in Tenerife. Very pleasant way to spend a bit of time.
Bowls on 10:46 - May 12 with 5881 viewsclive_baker

I know of a few people (late 20’s / early 30’s) that play bowls. It’s a good sport and one you can keep playing well into later life.

That’s the practical bit, as for just turning up I think you should go for it. Stand on the side and watch to begin with if it’s easier, rather than bowling over (pun intended) and having a chat. I’m sure someone will say hi and you could just say you’re there to see how it works etc.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bowls on 10:47 - May 12 with 5878 viewsconnorscontract

A middle aged man who I have worked with was a complete agoraphobic with confidence issues. Amongst other things I helped put into place to support him, he joined a Bowls Club. Within a year he was in the team and won the mixed doubles tournament. Now he is Club Captain, travels to games with others and is going away on a mini tour with other bowlers from the District League this summer.

All of this would have seemed impossible to him six or seven years ago.

I'm not saying you're the same as him- everyone is unique- but he found it a very welcoming and encouraging sport to enter as an extremely nervous person and it has been a big part of his recovery.
Bowls on 10:54 - May 12 with 5864 viewsconnorscontract

Bowls on 10:47 - May 12 by connorscontract

A middle aged man who I have worked with was a complete agoraphobic with confidence issues. Amongst other things I helped put into place to support him, he joined a Bowls Club. Within a year he was in the team and won the mixed doubles tournament. Now he is Club Captain, travels to games with others and is going away on a mini tour with other bowlers from the District League this summer.

All of this would have seemed impossible to him six or seven years ago.

I'm not saying you're the same as him- everyone is unique- but he found it a very welcoming and encouraging sport to enter as an extremely nervous person and it has been a big part of his recovery.

And, to add, the Bowls world is divided into Crown Green (typically found more in Northern areas, a format with greens with "humps" in the middle) and Flat Green, which itself has Outdoor and Indoor clubs. This means that Flat Green bowlers can play all year round- benefitting from the fresh air and sunshine when available, but keeping up the social contact in wetter and colder weather, both of which are factors in helping with mental well-being.
Bowls on 11:08 - May 12 with 5844 viewsHarryfromBath

My Dad was secretary of the local lawn bowls club in the 1980's and we played on the same quartet for several years. It's a pretty gentle and quiet game involving a good degree of skill and especially concentration. As with any sport, your mind can be completely immersed in a game.

As will all sports it depends on how competitive you want to be. The senior team at our club took league games very seriously, but we played in the less intense junior league games on a Monday night. The convention was that after a game you bought your opposite number a drink and they reciprocated.

Tactically there are different roles. The lead and number two in a quartet are usually good at drawing shots (getting the bowl near to the jack / white target ball). As the head (the area around the jack) becomes more crowded, the number three and four (the skip, or captain of the quartet) will either have to play a drawing shot or cannon off the bowls already there to get closest to the jack.

I still have my bowls and flat-soled shoes in a holdall in the loft. I'm not sure I would go back to it now as footie takes up my time, but going for a roll-up (as it's called) on a sunny afternoon or summer evening and in good company is very enjoyable. From what I remember, it's a pretty gentle world.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Bowls on 11:14 - May 12 with 5832 viewsbobwya

Most bowls clubs are always looking for new members and many will have an open day at the start of the season - end of April or beginning of may - so you may have missed that but don't be worried about making an an approach because their will invariably be someone who will take you under their wing, show you the ropes and so on. Give it a go!
Bowls on 11:29 - May 12 with 5819 viewsmrshallisfit

Get yourself a Thai bride.
Login to get fewer ads

Bowls on 11:50 - May 12 with 5791 viewsfloridablue

I realize you've specifically asked about Bowls and if you find out that's not for you consider joining in a free '5k parkrun event' normally held on Saturday mornings. All levels from walkers, slow joggers to the runners. Always looking for volunteers to man the course as well...good luck.
Bowls on 12:12 - May 12 with 5743 viewsDarth_Koont

Bowls on 11:29 - May 12 by mrshallisfit

Get yourself a Thai bride.

One with bowls?

Pronouns: He/Him

Bowls on 12:21 - May 12 with 5719 viewshoppy

Bowls.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Bowls on 12:21 - May 12 with 5719 viewswkj

Bowls on 12:12 - May 12 by Darth_Koont

One with bowls?

i do enjoy a good curry, thank you for the replies above to all

Crybaby

Bowls on 12:23 - May 12 with 5712 viewswaveneyblue

Mum and Dad are bowls mad - Their club always wants new members - especially younger ones - Seem's a good way to become part of the village life - Careful though - The old un's take their bowls very seriously :)
[Post edited 12 May 2018 12:23]
Bowls on 13:23 - May 12 with 5649 viewsBasuco

Many bowls clubs have open days to get new members in so I would give the secretary a ring and ask the question, I played a few times with my father and really enjoyed it, we went to a "roll up" session where you turn up and see who is around and have a fun game, if you have decent ball to eye coordination you will enjoy it. Many clubs also have a good social aspect to them as well.
Bowls on 15:23 - May 12 with 5569 viewsplaythewayyourfacing

Great sport that has given me over 40 years of fun and many long time friends, I'd highly recommend giving it a go :-) Clubs are actively seeking new members. Which club you thinking of approaching? some have active web/facebook pages where you can contact the Secretary to 'have' a go :-) Good luck and enjoy
Bowls on 15:27 - May 12 with 5563 viewsplaythewayyourfacing

Bowls on 15:23 - May 12 by playthewayyourfacing

Great sport that has given me over 40 years of fun and many long time friends, I'd highly recommend giving it a go :-) Clubs are actively seeking new members. Which club you thinking of approaching? some have active web/facebook pages where you can contact the Secretary to 'have' a go :-) Good luck and enjoy

https://www.bowlsengland.com/
https://www.fedbowls.co.uk/
Bowls on 15:30 - May 12 with 5559 viewsJ2BLUE

You'll pick it up very quickly. It's pretty easy to play.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bowls on 16:17 - May 12 with 5510 viewssolemio

Our friend who lived in Luton and had many friends moved to Aberystwyth and became rather lonely, especially after his wife died.

Joining the bowls club has changed his life. He is the lively character we used to know once again.
Bowls on 16:47 - May 12 with 5474 viewsWonky

Bowls is great , give it a go for sure, it's a very social sport.
Bowls on 17:03 - May 12 with 5447 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Somebody in Framlingham coop is advertising their lawn bowls gear on the noticeboard.........it's a sign! (Literally)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bowls on 17:06 - May 12 with 5435 viewswkj

Bowls on 17:03 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Somebody in Framlingham coop is advertising their lawn bowls gear on the noticeboard.........it's a sign! (Literally)

are you turning into hoppy?

Crybaby

Bowls on 17:39 - May 12 with 5393 viewshoppy

Bowls on 17:06 - May 12 by wkj

are you turning into hoppy?

Are you saying he’s not already a rather nice person?

Bowls on 17:48 - May 12 with 5364 viewswkj

Bowls on 17:39 - May 12 by hoppy

Are you saying he’s not already a rather nice person?

Touché; one merely was impressed at how he effortlessly rolled that pun out

Crybaby

Bowls on 22:34 - May 12 with 5233 viewshoppy

Bowls on 17:48 - May 12 by wkj

Touché; one merely was impressed at how he effortlessly rolled that pun out

Bowls.

Bowls on 23:04 - May 12 with 5198 viewsVic

Go for it WKJ.

SEveral years ago I went along to my village bowls club, they welcomed me with open arms.

An hour later I’m not sure they liked me much when I’d won the nearest the jack, plus the main bowls competition on my first evening!

Really nice sport - competitive without being physical. Plenty of time to chat and be as sociable or private as you like.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024