Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My England Test team 09:14 - May 15 with 2171 viewsgordon

Keaton Jennings
Jonny Bairstow
Alastair Cook
Joe Root
Joe Clarke
Ben Stokes
Ben Foakes (wk)
Sam Curran
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson
Amar Virdi / Dom Bess

James Vince can sod off.
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:15]
My England Test team on 09:24 - May 15 with 2142 viewsTLA

That looks like a good call, although I really like Mark Wood and would try to find a place for him.

Is that your preferred batting line-up? Jonny Bairstow is so good at bringing the best of the lower order and deserves to bat at 5 or 6 if he's not keeping.
My England Test team on 09:25 - May 15 with 2137 viewspoppiesman

Cook very lucky to keep his place based on his winter scores. Averaged barely 10 over 8 tests if you take out his double century.
I feel Moeen Ali will get back in and not another spinner.
I hope Dawid Malan keeps his place as deserves another go after doing better than the rest of the batsmen in the Ashes.
I fear James Vince will keep his place, a double century yesterday would have helped him.
And Tom Curran instead of his brother Sam.
The likes of Sam Northeast and Jack Leach getting injured at the wrong time for them to be considered.
My England Test team on 09:25 - May 15 with 2129 viewsMaySixth

Why would people drop Vince after he got 80 odd under pressure in his last Test?
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

My England Test team on 09:26 - May 15 with 2127 viewsMaySixth

So you have seen Joe Clarke actually bat then?
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:26]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

My England Test team on 09:31 - May 15 with 2109 viewspoppiesman

My England Test team on 09:25 - May 15 by MaySixth

Why would people drop Vince after he got 80 odd under pressure in his last Test?

There lies the problem with the England team.
Half centuries seem to keep batsmen in the team, when they should be scoring centuries.
Vince and Stoneman played nearly 30 tests between them and yet to score a century. SImply not good enough for Test cricket, but they continue to get picked!
Harder to get dropped from the clicky England squad than it is to get in it.
My England Test team on 09:38 - May 15 with 2091 viewsgordon

My England Test team on 09:24 - May 15 by TLA

That looks like a good call, although I really like Mark Wood and would try to find a place for him.

Is that your preferred batting line-up? Jonny Bairstow is so good at bringing the best of the lower order and deserves to bat at 5 or 6 if he's not keeping.

Yeah, obviously not sure about Bairstow opening. The other option for the top seven would be this, but suspect then the top order would be more vulnerable, I'd like to see Cook coming in at three to give him a new challenge. I think if he opens and has a few bad scores that'll be that.

Cook
Jennings
Malan
Root
Clarke
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:50]
My England Test team on 09:52 - May 15 with 2067 viewshomer_123

My England Test team on 09:25 - May 15 by MaySixth

And what else has he done at Test level?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

My England Test team on 09:54 - May 15 with 2063 viewsKeno

My England Test team on 09:52 - May 15 by homer_123

And what else has he done at Test level?

Roads, Bridges, clean water .......

oh sorry that was the Romans

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

My England Test team on 09:57 - May 15 with 2055 viewsgordon

My England Test team on 09:25 - May 15 by poppiesman

Cook very lucky to keep his place based on his winter scores. Averaged barely 10 over 8 tests if you take out his double century.
I feel Moeen Ali will get back in and not another spinner.
I hope Dawid Malan keeps his place as deserves another go after doing better than the rest of the batsmen in the Ashes.
I fear James Vince will keep his place, a double century yesterday would have helped him.
And Tom Curran instead of his brother Sam.
The likes of Sam Northeast and Jack Leach getting injured at the wrong time for them to be considered.

Jack Leach definitely would've played, that's a big blow for him.

Can't see how Moeen Ali gets picked, like Tom Curran he's mostly been a spectator at the IPL for the last couple of months.
My England Test team on 10:06 - May 15 with 2035 viewsTLA

My England Test team on 09:38 - May 15 by gordon

Yeah, obviously not sure about Bairstow opening. The other option for the top seven would be this, but suspect then the top order would be more vulnerable, I'd like to see Cook coming in at three to give him a new challenge. I think if he opens and has a few bad scores that'll be that.

Cook
Jennings
Malan
Root
Clarke
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:50]

That looks a bit stronger to me.
My England Test team on 10:14 - May 15 with 2026 viewsIpswichKnight

Don't think England want to pick Virdi or Bees this early in the year against a team as good against spin as Pakistan are, wouldn't be surprised to see either Ben Coad or Jamie Porter picked either.

Joe Clarke deserves a chance along with Dan Lawrence and Ollie Pope sadly none of them open which means do England throw out Vince and Malan to make way for one or two of them.

Both Bess and Virdi are going to be excellent spinners not sure we will find much help from a test match pitch in May against Pakistan! Suspect Ali will get a call up but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play ( probably better in the long run that both Virdi and Bess play county cricket rather than act as drinks carriers )
My England Test team on 10:24 - May 15 with 2012 viewsgordon

My England Test team on 10:14 - May 15 by IpswichKnight

Don't think England want to pick Virdi or Bees this early in the year against a team as good against spin as Pakistan are, wouldn't be surprised to see either Ben Coad or Jamie Porter picked either.

Joe Clarke deserves a chance along with Dan Lawrence and Ollie Pope sadly none of them open which means do England throw out Vince and Malan to make way for one or two of them.

Both Bess and Virdi are going to be excellent spinners not sure we will find much help from a test match pitch in May against Pakistan! Suspect Ali will get a call up but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play ( probably better in the long run that both Virdi and Bess play county cricket rather than act as drinks carriers )

Dan Lawrence probably hasn't done enough this year so far, problem is England have a lot of young talented middle-order batsmen, less so openers or number three. Pretty sure Jennings will come back in, and wonder whether Gubbins will be given a go as well.

You're probably right that it'll be an all-seam attack now Leach is injured, Ben Coad would be picked ahead of Porter I think, though Coad missed the last round of championship matches, not sure why. If it is five seamers, they've got to pick Sam Curran as well for variation in my opinion, though Mark Wood will probably be selected. Woakes and Ali shouldn't be picked, have been in very poor form over the winter and then chose to play IPL rather than county championship.
My England Test team on 10:31 - May 15 with 2000 viewsIpswichKnight

My England Test team on 10:24 - May 15 by gordon

Dan Lawrence probably hasn't done enough this year so far, problem is England have a lot of young talented middle-order batsmen, less so openers or number three. Pretty sure Jennings will come back in, and wonder whether Gubbins will be given a go as well.

You're probably right that it'll be an all-seam attack now Leach is injured, Ben Coad would be picked ahead of Porter I think, though Coad missed the last round of championship matches, not sure why. If it is five seamers, they've got to pick Sam Curran as well for variation in my opinion, though Mark Wood will probably be selected. Woakes and Ali shouldn't be picked, have been in very poor form over the winter and then chose to play IPL rather than county championship.

Gubbins is the one in form so should probably get the nod, could easily see both Gubbins and Jennings opening with Cook at 3.

We badly need an injection of proper pace in the bowling attack otherwise it is just the same right arm Fast medium.
My England Test team on 10:36 - May 15 with 1997 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

My England Test team on 09:26 - May 15 by MaySixth

So you have seen Joe Clarke actually bat then?
[Post edited 15 May 2018 9:26]

He will move to different county next season, no doubt to a larger county with a test ground budget.

His contract is up and he wants to keep wicket and he won't displace Cox at Worcester.

Can't understand how Hildreth at Somerset doesn't get a mention, sure he is 33 but nearly 16k runs at 44 with 43 tons would be a good selection so the likes of Clarke, Lawrence and Ollie Pope can have another few years to perfect their techniques and gain more experience.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

My England Test team on 13:19 - May 15 with 1910 viewsIpswichKnight

My England Test team on 10:36 - May 15 by BullardsMagicMullet

He will move to different county next season, no doubt to a larger county with a test ground budget.

His contract is up and he wants to keep wicket and he won't displace Cox at Worcester.

Can't understand how Hildreth at Somerset doesn't get a mention, sure he is 33 but nearly 16k runs at 44 with 43 tons would be a good selection so the likes of Clarke, Lawrence and Ollie Pope can have another few years to perfect their techniques and gain more experience.

Telegraph reporting that Butler will bat at 7.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024