Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? 16:49 - May 16 with 6429 viewsSuperfrans

It seems like a huge gamble.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 16:57 - May 16 with 5796 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How many caps did we have at the last tournament?

I don't think we have too much alternative choice.

I welcome the fresh approach.

How much use were Rooney and Hart v Iceland? Caps galore.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:05 - May 16 with 5776 viewsvapour_trail

There's usually one or two isn't there, or that make debuts in the warm ups.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:06 - May 16 with 5774 viewsSuperfrans

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 16:57 - May 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

How many caps did we have at the last tournament?

I don't think we have too much alternative choice.

I welcome the fresh approach.

How much use were Rooney and Hart v Iceland? Caps galore.

But zero caps? It was quite a thing in 1990 when Gazza broken into the England team in the Spring and then went to Italy. But going to the World Cup when you haven't played a single game for your country? I wonder how many, if any, countries will have an uncapped player in their squad.

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:19 - May 16 with 5738 viewsRadlett_blue

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:06 - May 16 by Superfrans

But zero caps? It was quite a thing in 1990 when Gazza broken into the England team in the Spring and then went to Italy. But going to the World Cup when you haven't played a single game for your country? I wonder how many, if any, countries will have an uncapped player in their squad.

There are always quite a few redundant players - the 3rd keeper plus defenders & midfield players who never even get on the pitch so i wouldn't fret.
However, Svern's decision to take 17 years old Theo Walcott to the 2006 World Cup was beyond bizarre, especially as England had very few fit strikers in the squad.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:23 - May 16 with 5730 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah let’s take all the players with loads of caps who have also achieved absolutely nothing for England.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:27 - May 16 with 5720 viewschristiand

It appears very unlikely we are going to win it, so why not give them the experience of tournament football and looking more long term?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:44 - May 16 with 5682 viewsvapour_trail

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:19 - May 16 by Radlett_blue

There are always quite a few redundant players - the 3rd keeper plus defenders & midfield players who never even get on the pitch so i wouldn't fret.
However, Svern's decision to take 17 years old Theo Walcott to the 2006 World Cup was beyond bizarre, especially as England had very few fit strikers in the squad.

That squad also had Carson (0caps), Lennon(1) and Downing (2).

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:49 - May 16 with 5666 viewsvapour_trail

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:44 - May 16 by vapour_trail

That squad also had Carson (0caps), Lennon(1) and Downing (2).

2002 Sinclair, Bridge and Vassell fewest caps (5 apiece)

2010 Dawson (0) Warnock (1) and Hart (3)

2014 Forster and Shaw (both 2)

Login to get fewer ads

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:51 - May 16 with 5661 viewsFreddies_Ears

Better than taking the Old Unreliables, who you can only count on to let us down. Southgate is doing well with a younger team, so I'll give him a chance and forgive anything this time around.
How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:53 - May 16 with 5655 viewsSuperfrans

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:23 - May 16 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah let’s take all the players with loads of caps who have also achieved absolutely nothing for England.

Yes, because that's exactly what I am saying. #eyeroll

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:54 - May 16 with 5652 viewsvapour_trail

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:51 - May 16 by Freddies_Ears

Better than taking the Old Unreliables, who you can only count on to let us down. Southgate is doing well with a younger team, so I'll give him a chance and forgive anything this time around.

This post will be thrown in your face when Delph replaces Kane towards the end of a dour 0-0 against Panama.

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 18:05 - May 16 with 5625 viewsNo9

On the other hand, when we had 'the golden generation' & were tipped for greatness, the failures were very painful due to overegged expectation.
How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 18:39 - May 16 with 5575 viewsTrequartista

Schillaci had 1 cap going into Italia 90

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 19:57 - May 16 with 5498 viewsSuperfrans

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:19 - May 16 by Radlett_blue

I did wonder about Walcott. Didn’t he have a cap by that point?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:06 - May 16 with 5486 viewsvapour_trail

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 19:57 - May 16 by Superfrans

I did wonder about Walcott. Didn’t he have a cap by that point?

He hadn’t even played for arsenal.

League 1 at Southampton I think was his highest level football.

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:32 - May 16 with 5460 viewsLord_Lucan

Good bloody job.

We've been sh1te for nearly 30 years and I've all but given up watching the overpaid, oversexed, overblown t0ssers.

I might even tune in and watch this lot.

Well done Gareth Southgate - very refreshing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:39 - May 16 with 5452 viewswkj

No gamble at all, Arnold is in form and his confidence is sky high. For most of my time on earth many people have more or less always said, we need to think fresh ideas and not do the same ol same ol... well... this is certainly fresh thinking so, why bring the decision into disrepute?

Wayne Rooney has a lot of caps, but achieved very little in tournaments; if anything i think an uncapped player coming on for his team in the most important tournament might have a positive effect- Instead of swanning around like billy big boIIocks (Sterling) seeing a young lad brimming with pride to show the world what he's about... good on you southgate
[Post edited 16 May 2018 20:42]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:53 - May 16 with 5422 viewsSuperfrans

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:39 - May 16 by wkj

No gamble at all, Arnold is in form and his confidence is sky high. For most of my time on earth many people have more or less always said, we need to think fresh ideas and not do the same ol same ol... well... this is certainly fresh thinking so, why bring the decision into disrepute?

Wayne Rooney has a lot of caps, but achieved very little in tournaments; if anything i think an uncapped player coming on for his team in the most important tournament might have a positive effect- Instead of swanning around like billy big boIIocks (Sterling) seeing a young lad brimming with pride to show the world what he's about... good on you southgate
[Post edited 16 May 2018 20:42]

If he’s so good and in form, why didn’t he get any minutes in one of the recent friendlies? Even 5/10 minutes? I’m not against taking young players, if anything I think the squad is short on creative, energetic young players - FFS half of the midfielders are defenders...

But how can a manager feel confident to take a player he hasn’t previously felt confident enough to give a chance to play? Seems odd to me, that’s all.

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:53 - May 16 with 5422 viewsRyorry

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 17:06 - May 16 by Superfrans

Michael Owen, age 17?

Like a few others apparently, I've had enough of the "experienced old goldens" who never seem to get anywhere for us in tournaments. Why keep going down that same old route when it's failed for decades now? Definition of madness, that! Nothing to lose in trying something a bit different, and my initial reaction to this lot was a feeling of strange & irrational optimism. Think they could surprise everyone, ala Denmark - nothing to fear.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:59 - May 16 with 5413 viewsSuperfrans

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:53 - May 16 by Ryorry

Michael Owen, age 17?

Like a few others apparently, I've had enough of the "experienced old goldens" who never seem to get anywhere for us in tournaments. Why keep going down that same old route when it's failed for decades now? Definition of madness, that! Nothing to lose in trying something a bit different, and my initial reaction to this lot was a feeling of strange & irrational optimism. Think they could surprise everyone, ala Denmark - nothing to fear.

He’d made his debut for England about 5 months before the World Cup.

I don’t think we have a chance tbh. It’s an extremely defensive squad.

Again, I’m not against young players. I’d just question selecting a player you’ve never seen play international football before.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 21:01]

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 21:03 - May 16 with 5404 viewswkj

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:53 - May 16 by Superfrans

If he’s so good and in form, why didn’t he get any minutes in one of the recent friendlies? Even 5/10 minutes? I’m not against taking young players, if anything I think the squad is short on creative, energetic young players - FFS half of the midfielders are defenders...

But how can a manager feel confident to take a player he hasn’t previously felt confident enough to give a chance to play? Seems odd to me, that’s all.

Because Southgate will know how the players are training as well as on the pitch. I think its a fantastic bit of thinking, there wont be anyone hungrier to make his mark. As for not picking him sooner, well you can rest assured he's been keeping tabs on him, and seen enough to fit him into the system.

Klopp thinks his ready, Southgate thinks he's ready, I cant argue with that.

As for defensive squad, well, I think he's done the best with what he had available to him.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 21:05]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 21:07 - May 16 with 5389 viewsHurleyBurley

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:06 - May 16 by vapour_trail

He hadn’t even played for arsenal.

League 1 at Southampton I think was his highest level football.

Exactly, he hadn't even played a Premier League match.

Of course, picking him was a complete waste of time as he never even played for a minute at the WC.

And they called Sven "the professor".

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 00:13 - May 17 with 5292 viewsvapour_trail

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 21:07 - May 16 by HurleyBurley

Exactly, he hadn't even played a Premier League match.

Of course, picking him was a complete waste of time as he never even played for a minute at the WC.

And they called Sven "the professor".

He still hasn’t played a minute at a World Cup. Never will now.

Poor old Theo.

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 08:03 - May 17 with 5164 viewsMattinLondon

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 20:32 - May 16 by Lord_Lucan

Good bloody job.

We've been sh1te for nearly 30 years and I've all but given up watching the overpaid, oversexed, overblown t0ssers.

I might even tune in and watch this lot.

Well done Gareth Southgate - very refreshing.

England failed to qualify in both 74 and 78 so at least we’ve qualified. But back then it was mainly just kick-and-rush.
How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 08:18 - May 17 with 5152 viewsRadlett_blue

How many uncapped England players have we taken to the World Cup Finals before? on 08:03 - May 17 by MattinLondon

England failed to qualify in both 74 and 78 so at least we’ve qualified. But back then it was mainly just kick-and-rush.

In 1974, England were pipped by Poland, who fluked a 1-1 draw at Wembley & went on to finish 3rd in the World Cup.
In 1978, England were pipped on goal difference by Italy.
The football then was not kick & rush.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024