Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals 05:36 - May 17 with 7405 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To be cut to £2 maximum per spin. On the whole, it’s the correct decision imo.

It’s a killer blow for the greyhound industry and a hammer blow to horse racing with the latter losing an estimated £50 million of funding.

For me personally, I’ve said on here on the past I don’t use the machines as they are, to sports gamblers like myself, a disgrace to the entire gambling industry. I’m pleased they have been limited as a massive percentage of gambling addicts are addicted through these machines rather than sports betting.

The only tint of sadness for me on the decision is that it may be the final nail in the coffin for the Greyhound scene in the UK. With Sky dodging the sport this year, the main income to the industry was bookmakers sponsoring tracks and competitions. Many beloved Romford Dogs is owned by Coral for a start.

That’s my for and against argument but in the end, it’s the right call I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44148285
[Post edited 17 May 2018 5:41]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:04 - May 17 with 1351 viewsVaughan8

Sorry for being thick, but how does limiting these machines mean its a blow to horse racing and greyhound racing?

Is it that those machines were somehow funding those sports?

Those machines can make you lose £'000's in a few minutes so I think it is the right call.
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:12 - May 17 with 1343 viewsimsureazzure

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 08:01 - May 17 by BloomBlue

Good greyhound racing is cruel the number of greyhounds dumped on the streets because they didn't make the grade has been terrible over the years. Thankfully as greyhound racing has declined so has the number of dumped greyhounds.

Yep can not move for greyhounds around here, look on the plus side if greyhounds are dumped it will ensure there are less fledgling killing cats around.
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:29 - May 17 with 1317 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:04 - May 17 by Vaughan8

Sorry for being thick, but how does limiting these machines mean its a blow to horse racing and greyhound racing?

Is it that those machines were somehow funding those sports?

Those machines can make you lose £'000's in a few minutes so I think it is the right call.

FOBTs are around 50% of bookies profits every year.

Those profits are what they use to pay for sponsorship and ownership of tracks in greyhound racing. For example, Romford Stadium is owner by Coral.

For horse racing, races are so very often sponsored by bookies. There are a few different reasons but primarily, the £50 million loss of earnings will be a blow to horse racing.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:31 - May 17 with 1310 viewsVaughan8

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:29 - May 17 by The_Romford_Blue

FOBTs are around 50% of bookies profits every year.

Those profits are what they use to pay for sponsorship and ownership of tracks in greyhound racing. For example, Romford Stadium is owner by Coral.

For horse racing, races are so very often sponsored by bookies. There are a few different reasons but primarily, the £50 million loss of earnings will be a blow to horse racing.

Ah I get it now.

Now you explained it, it seems obvious!
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:33 - May 17 with 1304 viewsbaxterbasics

Even this libertarian can see sense in the move. Good call.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:35 - May 17 with 1302 viewsSpruceMoose

Considering your new ornithological obsession, perhaps you could look to get into betting on pigeon racing?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:55 - May 17 with 1285 viewschicoazul

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 10:01 - May 17 by GavTWTD

This is truly excellent news today. The only negative is that some people may lose their jobs as a result, which is unfortunate, but if some of the bookies disappear from our high streets that can only be a good thing.

They say that people will switch to online gambling which then needs to be looked at. I'd personally do credit checks, and make sure all bookies operate from within the UK if they want a gambling license in the UK. At least the taxes will stay and benefit the country then.

Shame the government then seem to have screwed up over cladding, but that's for another thread.

I often feel the cry of lost jobs is a smokescreen for the industry concerned. The Industrial Revolution didn't put us all out of work. Service workers will adapt and get other jobs.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:59 - May 17 with 1276 viewsNo9

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 13:55 - May 17 by chicoazul

I often feel the cry of lost jobs is a smokescreen for the industry concerned. The Industrial Revolution didn't put us all out of work. Service workers will adapt and get other jobs.

They are probably all S.E. etc. & won't show on the unemployment register?
That's the way things are isn't it?
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:14 - May 17 with 1234 viewsIpswich1984

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 09:53 - May 17 by Ryorry

FOBT and online are 2 completely different things.

[Post edited 17 May 2018 17:17]

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 17:16 - May 17 with 1229 viewsJ2BLUE

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:14 - May 17 by Ipswich1984

[Post edited 17 May 2018 17:17]

Admittedly it's not very effective but one of the first things you have to do when opening an account is set loss and deposit limits. Obviously this only really works if you're honest with yourself.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 17:21 - May 17 with 1218 viewsIpswich1984

Fixed Odds Betting Terminals on 17:16 - May 17 by J2BLUE

Admittedly it's not very effective but one of the first things you have to do when opening an account is set loss and deposit limits. Obviously this only really works if you're honest with yourself.

True but having seen what this can do, I had a family member who got a bit too involved with online gambling a similar limit for online gaming could be tried to see if it is effective.

The member of my family has now signed up for Gamstop which is a online scheme to block you from all sites for 1 year rather than having to do each site individually.

The fact that most in the industry have agreed to sign up in advance of it being mandatory shows that they realise there are issues.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024