Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lots of activity at the club 20:47 - May 17 with 4017 viewsazuremerlangus

With contracts being renewed and others being shown the door. My question who is making these footballing decisions when we don't have a manager? Are some of them part of MM's end-of-season plans before he got the heave-ho himself or are they ME's with advice from Klug?
[Post edited 17 May 2018 20:49]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Lots of activity at the club on 20:51 - May 17 with 4015 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick made the senior decisions with ME before he left, hence Bryan K was able to confirm Carayol would have to find himself a new club before the final game having suffered his injury.

Bryan has made the decisions re the development players such as Crowe, Hayes etc.
Lots of activity at the club on 20:56 - May 17 with 3933 viewsazuremerlangus

Lots of activity at the club on 20:51 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

Mick made the senior decisions with ME before he left, hence Bryan K was able to confirm Carayol would have to find himself a new club before the final game having suffered his injury.

Bryan has made the decisions re the development players such as Crowe, Hayes etc.

Thought that was the case.

I know that it is the natural time of the year for this sort of thing but there is a real "clearing of the decks" feel to things at the moment.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Lots of activity at the club on 20:59 - May 17 with 3924 viewsPhilTWTD

Lots of activity at the club on 20:56 - May 17 by azuremerlangus

Thought that was the case.

I know that it is the natural time of the year for this sort of thing but there is a real "clearing of the decks" feel to things at the moment.

Think it's happened in dribs and drabs a bit this year rather than in one go a day or so after the season has ended. Some departures have been reported again having been confirmed previously as well.
Lots of activity at the club on 21:01 - May 17 with 3882 viewsJohnny_Boy

*puts tin foil hat on*

Surely there's a conflict of interest in there somewhere.

MM: Don't renew McG's contract.
McG leaves on a free.
MM gets a plum job at Stoke.
MM acquires McG to Stoke on a free.
Lots of activity at the club on 21:10 - May 17 with 3797 viewsBlueBadger

Lots of activity at the club on 21:01 - May 17 by Johnny_Boy

*puts tin foil hat on*

Surely there's a conflict of interest in there somewhere.

MM: Don't renew McG's contract.
McG leaves on a free.
MM gets a plum job at Stoke.
MM acquires McG to Stoke on a free.

You missed out : McGoldrick gets injured 6 weeks into the season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lots of activity at the club on 07:17 - May 18 with 3442 viewsJohnny_Boy

Lots of activity at the club on 21:10 - May 17 by BlueBadger

You missed out : McGoldrick gets injured 6 weeks into the season.

Yes. There is that thought too!

I dunno. Asking somebody that is exiting the club on important decision making (which might mean we miss out on a few million in transfer fees) - who themselves are equally on the look out for another job & perhaps are keen on the released player(s).

Does seem a bit odd.

Surely Klug would have been a better judge of character. He's still contracted to the club for the foreseeable future.
Lots of activity at the club on 07:24 - May 18 with 3420 viewstractorboy1978

Lots of activity at the club on 07:17 - May 18 by Johnny_Boy

Yes. There is that thought too!

I dunno. Asking somebody that is exiting the club on important decision making (which might mean we miss out on a few million in transfer fees) - who themselves are equally on the look out for another job & perhaps are keen on the released player(s).

Does seem a bit odd.

Surely Klug would have been a better judge of character. He's still contracted to the club for the foreseeable future.

I don’t think anyone would argue with the decisions made on the senior pros. I think we are all expected Hyam, Carayol, Gleeson and McGoldrick to go.
Lots of activity at the club on 07:34 - May 18 with 3388 viewsJohnny_Boy

Lots of activity at the club on 07:24 - May 18 by tractorboy1978

I don’t think anyone would argue with the decisions made on the senior pros. I think we are all expected Hyam, Carayol, Gleeson and McGoldrick to go.

The decision to release McG didn't surprise.
The person making that decision did though.

Like I said, if MM is looking to get back into management in the Championship - it could be seen as a conflict of interest. That's all.
Login to get fewer ads

Lots of activity at the club on 07:38 - May 18 with 3356 viewsBlueBadger

Lots of activity at the club on 07:34 - May 18 by Johnny_Boy

Like I said, if MM is looking to get back into management in the Championship - it could be seen as a conflict of interest. That's all.

'I know what would be a genius move, releasing a highly paid injury prone player so I can sign him again in order to spend lots of the season not being able to use him and having to still pay him. It's the perfect crime'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lots of activity at the club on 08:25 - May 18 with 3248 viewsBrixtonBlue

I didn't know Carayol had been released. I'm not overly surprised given his injuries, but disappointed. He looked lively and in many ways just what we needed - a pacy winger. I don't feel like he's been given much of an opportunity and given that we won't be spending money on players like that, him on a free would've been a good option.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lots of activity at the club on 08:32 - May 18 with 3239 viewsitfcjoe

Lots of activity at the club on 07:34 - May 18 by Johnny_Boy

McG was released after Mick left, so sure if there was any doubt the decision will have been re-considered

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lots of activity at the club on 08:32 - May 18 with 3231 viewsPhilTWTD

Lots of activity at the club on 08:25 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

I didn't know Carayol had been released. I'm not overly surprised given his injuries, but disappointed. He looked lively and in many ways just what we needed - a pacy winger. I don't feel like he's been given much of an opportunity and given that we won't be spending money on players like that, him on a free would've been a good option.

Obviously if the new manager comes in and thinks Carayol, Hyam, McGoldrick, Gleeson or anyone else who is departing could play a part there's nothing to stop him offering them something.
Lots of activity at the club on 08:38 - May 18 with 3212 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lots of activity at the club on 08:32 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Obviously if the new manager comes in and thinks Carayol, Hyam, McGoldrick, Gleeson or anyone else who is departing could play a part there's nothing to stop him offering them something.

Unless they've already signed for someone else by then. But yeah, fair point.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lots of activity at the club on 08:45 - May 18 with 3195 viewschristiand

Lots of activity at the club on 08:25 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

He's not really taken his opportunities. If you are playing to earn a contract, you'd expect a player to play more than sitting on the sidelines with an injury. Yes, he certainly had qualities that we would have benefited from and showed glimpses of his capabilities, but I also get the impression he'd have been on the treatment table rather than on the pitch once he had signed a permanent deal. There's a reason he has had so many clubs in his career and never really held down a starting place long term.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Lots of activity at the club on 08:51 - May 18 with 3174 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lots of activity at the club on 08:45 - May 18 by christiand

He's not really taken his opportunities. If you are playing to earn a contract, you'd expect a player to play more than sitting on the sidelines with an injury. Yes, he certainly had qualities that we would have benefited from and showed glimpses of his capabilities, but I also get the impression he'd have been on the treatment table rather than on the pitch once he had signed a permanent deal. There's a reason he has had so many clubs in his career and never really held down a starting place long term.

You make it sound like the injuries were his fault!

Did he have much of an injury record before then?

Lots of activity at the club on 08:59 - May 18 with 3137 viewsPhilTWTD

Lots of activity at the club on 08:45 - May 18 by christiand

I think that's a bit harsh on him, he came across as a decent bloke, he was very frustrated to pick up what was a freakish groin injury at Sheffield Wednesday just as he was getting into his stride, I was chatting to him about it when he came on the radio with us.

Think injuries have been his big problem though, particularly the cruciate he suffered at Boro. By the time he got back from that the manager had changed and Karanka didn't have him in his plans. Not really settled anywhere since then, wasn't helped by Karanka coming in at Forest early on this season.
Lots of activity at the club on 09:01 - May 18 with 3131 viewschristiand

Lots of activity at the club on 08:51 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

You make it sound like the injuries were his fault!

Did he have much of an injury record before then?

Of course not, but if you are trying to prove yourself to a new club spending less time on the pitch isn't really going to endear you to new employers. If anything it proves that he is injury prone and a risk. Look, if your were Ipswich's manager Brixton Blue - money as we both know is of a premium - Are you are going to waste it on a player that plays 1 in 4 games? You look at his playing history the longest he has been at a club is Middlesboro for 4 seasons where he made 50 appearances - 12 appearances a season (roughly)!!
[Post edited 18 May 2018 9:08]

Lots of activity at the club on 09:22 - May 18 with 3071 viewschristiand

Lots of activity at the club on 08:59 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

I think that's a bit harsh on him, he came across as a decent bloke, he was very frustrated to pick up what was a freakish groin injury at Sheffield Wednesday just as he was getting into his stride, I was chatting to him about it when he came on the radio with us.

Think injuries have been his big problem though, particularly the cruciate he suffered at Boro. By the time he got back from that the manager had changed and Karanka didn't have him in his plans. Not really settled anywhere since then, wasn't helped by Karanka coming in at Forest early on this season.

He might be an exceedingly decent chap Phil, certainly not a character assassination on my part. However, I have to agree with you the injuries have certainly not helped him which emphasises even more that signing him would be a huge risk especially in what you are going to get back in return. Are the odd flashes of brilliance enough to justify offering him a contract with his injury record? For me no, I agree with the club in allowing him to go; wish him well for the future.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 11:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024