Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. 09:47 - May 18 with 1504 viewsSuperfrans

Or 38 days, if you count from day he actually left.

The only time we've had to wait anywhere near as long as this was before Robson was appointed.

Permanent manager appointments:
1955: Duncan > 1 day > Ramsey
1963: Ramsey > 1 day > Milburn
1964: Milburn > 27 days > McGarry
1968/9: McGarry > 50 days > Robson
1982: Robson > 1 day > Ferguson
1987: Ferguson > 31 days > Duncan
1990: Duncan > 6 days > Lyall
1994: Lyall > 23 days > Burley
2002: Burley > 17 days > Royle
2006: Royle > 25 days > Magilton
2009: Magilton > 1 day > Keane
2011: Keane > 6 days > Jewell
2012: Jewell > 7 days > McCarthy
2018: McCarthy > 50/32 days (29 March/10 April)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:16 - May 18 with 1436 viewsHackneyblueboy

If it's true Evans is waiting to speak to Hurst, I do find it a little strange. You would think in theory it would hurt our chances of hiring Ross dramatically. I cant imagine he or St Mirren will be thrilled to wait another 2 weeks (which is realistic given negotiations with Hurst will start once the playoffs have finished). If I was Ross and I was told after two interviews I had to wait then it would hardly be a ringing endorsement that I was first choice.

If Jack is the man we need to act swiftly. You would hope Evans being a successful businessman appreciates that.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 10:17]
Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:18 - May 18 with 1421 viewsBlueBadger

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:16 - May 18 by Hackneyblueboy

If it's true Evans is waiting to speak to Hurst, I do find it a little strange. You would think in theory it would hurt our chances of hiring Ross dramatically. I cant imagine he or St Mirren will be thrilled to wait another 2 weeks (which is realistic given negotiations with Hurst will start once the playoffs have finished). If I was Ross and I was told after two interviews I had to wait then it would hardly be a ringing endorsement that I was first choice.

If Jack is the man we need to act swiftly. You would hope Evans being a successful businessman appreciates that.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 10:17]

Waiting till all candidates have been interviewed before announcing your decision is fairly standard employment practice across the world.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:21 - May 18 with 1407 viewsBrixtonBlue

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:18 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Waiting till all candidates have been interviewed before announcing your decision is fairly standard employment practice across the world.

Yes, I made this point yesterday.

Some people seem to be getting a little het up.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:24 - May 18 with 1395 viewsLightningboy

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:18 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Not in the football world.
Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:26 - May 18 with 1391 viewsBrixtonBlue

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:24 - May 18 by Lightningboy

Not in the football world.

Which football clubs have you been chairman of to have seen this process in action?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:27 - May 18 with 1393 viewsHackneyblueboy

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:21 - May 18 by BrixtonBlue

Yes, I made this point yesterday.

Some people seem to be getting a little het up.

This is true but this is more akin to headhunting. If you are in a job you are happy with and are approached then I would suggest you want to feel like first choice. It would be different to if he had applied.

Anyway thats my opinion, let's hope we get one of Ross or Hurst and don't end up with a backup option or even worse Sherwood!
[Post edited 18 May 2018 10:28]
Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:43 - May 18 with 1356 viewsSuperfrans

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:27 - May 18 by Hackneyblueboy

This is true but this is more akin to headhunting. If you are in a job you are happy with and are approached then I would suggest you want to feel like first choice. It would be different to if he had applied.

Anyway thats my opinion, let's hope we get one of Ross or Hurst and don't end up with a backup option or even worse Sherwood!

And of course, the standard head-hunting process isn't conducted with media, fans, etc poring over every move. Taking 7-8 weeks is all fine in most sectors, because it is easier to keep quiet about those who have turned down the job, and therefore make the final, successful candidate feel he is the first choice.

Plus, of course, a normal head-hunting process isn't conducted with many thousands of fans following every move.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 12:01 - May 18 with 1281 viewsBlueBadger

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 10:27 - May 18 by Hackneyblueboy

With the headhunting process, one still tends to want to interview ALL the candidates you fancy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 12:11 - May 18 with 1267 viewsNo9

The appointment of Sir Bob took a long while because so many others turned it down.
I don't think Sir Bob was ever on Towns radar originally.
Today is 50 days since McCarthy's departure was announced. on 13:21 - May 18 with 1197 viewsPinewoodblue

not if someone tick all your boxes and you don't want to risk them going elsewhere.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024