Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Viljoen 08:55 - May 22 with 35246 viewsLord_Lucan

I started watching Ipswich late in 1975 and don't remember much about Viljoen, I think he must have been injured a lot?

Since the Blue Heaven thing I have been thinking about him. I always got the feeling that he never really mixed much with the rest of the team and was a bit aloof.

Anyone got any stories or comments on him?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Colin Viljoen on 19:16 - Apr 9 with 4597 viewsbluefunk

Sir Bobby described him, circa 1975, as having the best peripheral vision of any player he’d ever seen. He was my favourite player from the first time I saw him, simply the best player we had for that late 60’s early 70’s period as SBR developed his first great team. By 1975, other great players were arriving in the first team and CV didn’t stand out in quite the same way - thinking of Woods and Warky for example, in the attacking third as well as Beattie, Burley, Mills at the back.

I’m not sure about his likeability, I’m not sure there was the same rumour mill as there is now, no one really took much notice if player A was in the First Floor club after the game and player B wasn’t - what I do know is tha Viljoen inspired my love of creative midfield players and for that I thank him
Colin Viljoen on 19:21 - Apr 9 with 4594 viewsfooters

Great thread, thanks oldies.

Can anyone explain how we plucked him from obscurity in SA? We must've had some scouting network back then!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Colin Viljoen on 19:32 - Apr 9 with 4574 viewsNBVJohn

Colin Viljoen on 19:21 - Apr 9 by footers

Great thread, thanks oldies.

Can anyone explain how we plucked him from obscurity in SA? We must've had some scouting network back then!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread though there’s not a great deal I can add. When I first started attending games in 1976, Viljoen had been out for some considerable time with a serious (knee I think) injury.

I definitely recall him coming back in an early 1978 FA cup game against Hartlepool and scoring a penalty early in the game. I had heard a great deal about him and was excited that he was playing and that I would finally get to see him.

I recall reading that after he finished playing he ran a pub near Heathrow. Some years later when staying in a local hotel before a flight the next day I attempted to find the pub and failed dismally.
Colin Viljoen on 19:36 - Apr 9 with 4570 viewsTrequartista

I always remember reading a Town program (probably v Man City) in the late 70s featuring the "two Colin's" (Viljoen and Bell) highlighting how they had been injured for a year and thinking what an extreme situation that was for those players. Nowadays at Town that would be a medium term absence.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Colin Viljoen on 19:41 - Apr 9 with 4556 viewsNBVJohn

Colin Viljoen on 19:36 - Apr 9 by Trequartista

I always remember reading a Town program (probably v Man City) in the late 70s featuring the "two Colin's" (Viljoen and Bell) highlighting how they had been injured for a year and thinking what an extreme situation that was for those players. Nowadays at Town that would be a medium term absence.

The article was entitled ‘ A Tale of Two Colin’s’ and I recall reading it too. I think it commented that had they both avoided injury they would surely have both played for England many more times.
Colin Viljoen on 19:49 - Apr 9 with 4542 viewsWeWereZombies

Colin Viljoen on 19:32 - Apr 9 by NBVJohn

I have really enjoyed reading this thread though there’s not a great deal I can add. When I first started attending games in 1976, Viljoen had been out for some considerable time with a serious (knee I think) injury.

I definitely recall him coming back in an early 1978 FA cup game against Hartlepool and scoring a penalty early in the game. I had heard a great deal about him and was excited that he was playing and that I would finally get to see him.

I recall reading that after he finished playing he ran a pub near Heathrow. Some years later when staying in a local hotel before a flight the next day I attempted to find the pub and failed dismally.

I worked in Uxbridge for a couple of years and our IT guy (this was a long tie ago when the IT department for a major construction company consisted of one man) lived in High Wycombe. Knowing I was an Ipswich supporter he mentioned to me that one of our ex.players was running a local pub and, of course, I pressed him for more information so he brought in a newspaper with a picture of Colin Viljoen behind the bar - it was in a village rather than High Wycombe but a good few miles from Heathrow so I can understand your failed endeavour.

I remember the Hartlepool game, 4-1 to us but they had a young striker, Keith Houchen, who impressed that day. However what I remember it most for is the group of crestfallen but friendly Hartlepool fans in The Swan after the game. As well as the penalty Viljoen scored one from open play as well as Mariner and Talbot scoring:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/skipper-relives-1978-cup-run-glory-1-188723

The match I most remember Viljoen for is an emphatic victory over Manchester United, George Best and all, when he bossed the game:

http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/match_data/match_sql.php?my_match_date=1970-09-1
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 19:51]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Colin Viljoen on 20:00 - Apr 9 with 4529 viewsTrequartista

This is from his testimonial program in 1977 (zoom to read)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114058793@N05/25566371253/in/album-721576643396297

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Colin Viljoen on 20:02 - Apr 9 with 4523 viewslongtimefan

Colin Viljoen on 19:49 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

I worked in Uxbridge for a couple of years and our IT guy (this was a long tie ago when the IT department for a major construction company consisted of one man) lived in High Wycombe. Knowing I was an Ipswich supporter he mentioned to me that one of our ex.players was running a local pub and, of course, I pressed him for more information so he brought in a newspaper with a picture of Colin Viljoen behind the bar - it was in a village rather than High Wycombe but a good few miles from Heathrow so I can understand your failed endeavour.

I remember the Hartlepool game, 4-1 to us but they had a young striker, Keith Houchen, who impressed that day. However what I remember it most for is the group of crestfallen but friendly Hartlepool fans in The Swan after the game. As well as the penalty Viljoen scored one from open play as well as Mariner and Talbot scoring:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/skipper-relives-1978-cup-run-glory-1-188723

The match I most remember Viljoen for is an emphatic victory over Manchester United, George Best and all, when he bossed the game:

http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/match_data/match_sql.php?my_match_date=1970-09-1
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 19:51]

I also remember that Man U match well as it was the very first time I went to a first team match. Got to sit on the side of pitch with the other small kids who otherwise wouldn’t have seen a thing!
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 20:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Colin Viljoen on 20:14 - Apr 9 with 4507 viewspickles110564

I loved his free kicks
Colin Viljoen on 20:16 - Apr 9 with 4507 viewsswede

Colin Viljoen on 18:53 - Apr 9 by leon_viljoen

He is currently between Barcelona several months of the year and back home in Cape town the rest He is still working with youth and had been for the longest bringing highly talented youth to the UK to play and he scouted. we do not y’all much these days, usually once or twice a year on my bday as I have been living in California USA since 1985.
ipswich will always be home to be as will woodbridge where i grew up while dad was playing for ITFC.
any other questions feel free to ask. Leon

I used to deliver your daily newspaper!
Colin Viljoen on 20:31 - Apr 9 with 4497 viewsLord_Lucan

He is currently between Barcelona several months of the year and back home in Cape town the rest He is still working with youth and had been for the longest bringing highly talented youth to the UK to play and he scouted. we do not y’all much these days, usually once or twice a year on my bday as I have been living in California USA since 1985.
ipswich will always be home to be as will woodbridge where i grew up while dad was playing for ITFC.

Nice to meet you Leon.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Colin Viljoen on 21:40 - Apr 9 with 4444 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 19:32 - Apr 9 by NBVJohn

my dad‘s pub was called the nine styles in uxbridge London, from 1982 to about 1988
Colin Viljoen on 21:54 - Apr 9 with 4423 viewsNBVJohn

Colin Viljoen on 21:40 - Apr 9 by leon_viljoen

my dad‘s pub was called the nine styles in uxbridge London, from 1982 to about 1988

Thank you Leon.

I see from looking on the internet that the pub is now townhouses. A shame, as I regularly work from an office in Uxbridge and I was planning to go for a quick pint when next in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the most enjoyable TWTD thread for some time. As you can see, 40 years on and your Father is well remembered by Ipswich supporters of 50 odd plus years old.
Colin Viljoen on 22:15 - Apr 9 with 4388 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 15:41 - Apr 9 by leon_viljoen

this has been a ‘very’ entertaining thread! from page 1... about 50% of it true. 50% of it not remotely close about my dad. Some nice things said and without a doubt his skill set.. he was simply gifted. Injuries especially back then with not nearly the rehab technologies we have today.. def took years off his time. both achilles, both hamstrings. thanks for the kind words about him .. cheers Leon

Nice to have you on this thread (from last year?).
Your dad was a very talented player for us and I remember his 3 goals against Portsmouth on his debut and also the 3 that he got in Norfolk.
I remember seeing him play in the youth team and I think I am right in saying that Bill McGarry went out to South Africa to talk him in to coming back for pre season because there was a doubt about him returning.
He is one of many excellent players that I have been lucky enough to see play for us over the last 60 years or so.
Colin Viljoen on 22:20 - Apr 9 with 4377 viewssoclopath

Remember. The Viljoen family living in the White brick cottage close to the Bealings Martlesham Road crossroads,I think Leon went to school in Woodbridge.
Colin Viljoen on 22:48 - Apr 9 with 4359 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 22:20 - Apr 9 by soclopath

Remember. The Viljoen family living in the White brick cottage close to the Bealings Martlesham Road crossroads,I think Leon went to school in Woodbridge.

I did go to school at St. Mary’s in Woodbridge, and then Kingston middle school. We used to live on both Defoe rd and playford road.
i’m sure many of you remember Mc Mills, Paul mariner and Paul Cooper… I was very close and friends with all their kids and we used to play together back in our youth days
Colin Viljoen on 23:25 - Apr 9 with 4333 viewsjeera

Colin Viljoen on 22:48 - Apr 9 by leon_viljoen

I did go to school at St. Mary’s in Woodbridge, and then Kingston middle school. We used to live on both Defoe rd and playford road.
i’m sure many of you remember Mc Mills, Paul mariner and Paul Cooper… I was very close and friends with all their kids and we used to play together back in our youth days

I always claimed your old man was my favourite player as a kid, but in truth I was too young to appreciate him, or the game in general.

I just had Town posters on my walls everywhere and made decisions by those and reputation.

I have often wondered what happened to Allan Hunter's kids, but they'd have been a bit younger than you I suppose. P&L. [I think].

P was a toddler but L was around 9 y/o in 78 and a tidy little footballer for a kid. I thought he may have gone into the game but never heard much.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Colin Viljoen on 04:34 - Apr 10 with 4282 viewsBinner

Colin Viljoen on 05:20 - May 23 by shamboy

No, it is true.
There were some very talented black schoolboys around the town at the time, but none were given a fair chance when they trialled at Ipswich. It was a bone of contention in the black community for many years, but rarely spoken about outside that group.
Speak to any of the key people from Caribbeans FC from that time if you want the truth.

As for Viljoen, tremendous player so smooth on the ball but who can honestly say they have ever met a nice white South African. Their sense of entitlement is legendary.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 5:22]

This post is blatantly racist and the final sentence includes a ridiculous generalisation.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Colin Viljoen on 04:39 - Apr 10 with 4277 viewsBinner

Colin Viljoen on 15:58 - Apr 9 by Father_Jack

You've forgotten under-rated midfield genius Ian Collard.

Late 60s - Danny Hegan, Ray Crawford...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Colin Viljoen on 05:05 - Apr 10 with 4262 viewspablovian

In my opinion, Colin Viljoen was the most skillful player of the early Robson years, and David Johnson was the most skillful player of the middle Robson years. There was so much talent during the later Robson years that I no longer had individual heroes.
Colin Viljoen on 21:54 - Apr 10 with 4142 viewsMisterBlue

Colin Viljoen on 22:48 - Apr 9 by leon_viljoen

Yes, remember you from my school days at both, although I would have been a couple of years older. Do you also recall playing 5-a-side in the sports hall at Farlingaye on a Thursday evening? TWTD!
Colin Viljoen on 04:25 - Apr 11 with 4061 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 21:54 - Apr 10 by MisterBlue

Yes, remember you from my school days at both, although I would have been a couple of years older. Do you also recall playing 5-a-side in the sports hall at Farlingaye on a Thursday evening? TWTD!

I absolutely do! my dad would often come watch and pick me up. then when he moved to manchester I would play out there indoor 5 a side. fun days. :)
Colin Viljoen on 04:31 - Apr 11 with 4060 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 04:25 - Apr 11 by leon_viljoen

I absolutely do! my dad would often come watch and pick me up. then when he moved to manchester I would play out there indoor 5 a side. fun days. :)

for any interested on more on my dad.. I have some history of him and I on my instagram Mp_athlete_ or my facebook ....’leon viljoen physique pro’
cheers Leon
Colin Viljoen on 02:55 - Apr 17 with 3896 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 21:54 - Apr 9 by NBVJohn

Thank you Leon.

I see from looking on the internet that the pub is now townhouses. A shame, as I regularly work from an office in Uxbridge and I was planning to go for a quick pint when next in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the most enjoyable TWTD thread for some time. As you can see, 40 years on and your Father is well remembered by Ipswich supporters of 50 odd plus years old.

Certainly, its always good to reminisce to some of the best football days as well as see everyone’s great knowledge and stories. I much enjoy reading. Stirs up a lot of childhood memories of going to the games with dad, being around the players, inside the locker room, watching practices etc etc. my fave player was always Paul Mariner aside from my dad. :)
Colin Viljoen on 04:19 - Apr 26 with 3692 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 02:55 - Apr 17 by leon_viljoen

Certainly, its always good to reminisce to some of the best football days as well as see everyone’s great knowledge and stories. I much enjoy reading. Stirs up a lot of childhood memories of going to the games with dad, being around the players, inside the locker room, watching practices etc etc. my fave player was always Paul Mariner aside from my dad. :)

11,183 views!? 😳 and only 4 pages of dialogue.. is this correct?? it’s seems as though the 2 nd most viewed thread on the forum?.. Love the die hard ‘Town’ fans. nothing like it. 👍🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024