Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Viljoen 08:55 - May 22 with 35609 viewsLord_Lucan

I started watching Ipswich late in 1975 and don't remember much about Viljoen, I think he must have been injured a lot?

Since the Blue Heaven thing I have been thinking about him. I always got the feeling that he never really mixed much with the rest of the team and was a bit aloof.

Anyone got any stories or comments on him?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Colin Viljoen on 08:59 - May 22 with 14184 viewsgrimboy

Even though he was from South Africa I think he got Capped by England along with 7 I think fellow Ipswich players under Ron Greenwood.
Colin Viljoen on 08:59 - May 22 with 14180 viewsNo9

At the time there was, from some people resentment becuase he was South African - Basil D'Olivera & all that.

I Believe he married into a well-to-do family & Pa-in-Law ferried him to PR ina Roller.
His golden days were in the 60's he had some good games, particularly V the budgies.
Colin Viljoen on 09:04 - May 22 with 14160 viewsLord_Lucan

Colin Viljoen on 08:59 - May 22 by grimboy

Even though he was from South Africa I think he got Capped by England along with 7 I think fellow Ipswich players under Ron Greenwood.

He was capped under Revie wasn't he.

I know a bit about his career but it's more the person I'm enquiring about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Colin Viljoen on 09:08 - May 22 with 14128 viewswitchdoctor

Colin Viljoen on 08:59 - May 22 by No9

At the time there was, from some people resentment becuase he was South African - Basil D'Olivera & all that.

I Believe he married into a well-to-do family & Pa-in-Law ferried him to PR ina Roller.
His golden days were in the 60's he had some good games, particularly V the budgies.

inded..saw him score a hatrick at Carrot Rd and I’m sure if memory seves two of them were chipped/ lobbbed goals..
Colin Viljoen on 09:09 - May 22 with 14121 viewsNo9

Colin Viljoen on 09:04 - May 22 by Lord_Lucan

I think he played 3 or 4 games for England circa '75 in the home internationals.
He didn't play for Town if the Cup final and then went to Man City after that Chelsea
Shows what a BIG team Town were in those days?
Colin Viljoen on 09:13 - May 22 with 14108 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 09:04 - May 22 by Lord_Lucan

Yes he got 2 caps under Don Revie.

It does seem that he was certainly not all that popular in the dressing room as evidenced by the attempt by SBR to try to see if he was fit enough to play in the Cup Final at the expense of Roger Osborne and what followed in the game at Aston Villa and beyond.
Until that point I do not remember being aware of any problems involving him but the later part of his ITFC career was very much injury related.
He only played 13 times in 75/76, none in 76/77 and 16 in 77/78.
Colin Viljoen on 09:13 - May 22 with 14109 viewsRadlett_blue

He was clearly Town's most skillful player when I first started watching in 1972. Also adept with free kicks & a cool penalty taker. I don't recall him being injury prone until later in his career, notably 1977-78 when he had been out inured & returned for a game at Villa just before the Cup Final. It seemed clear that Robson was giving him a chance to prove his fitness & if he did OK, he would play at Wembley ahead of the more limited Roger Osborne. Now, it was said that Viljoen wasn't too popular with some of his team mates - he was confident to the point of arrogance & he was one of the first Town players to own a car (amazing to think of that now). Apparently, he regularly refused to give other players a lift to the training ground. So, the theory is that a few of the Town players didn't want him back in the team for the final so they didn't want him to look good at Villa & refused to pass the ball to him, although it was normal for players to take it easy with an FA Cup Final a week away. Anyway, we lost 6-1 & Osborne was restored to the team for Wembley. Viljoen didn't kick a ball for Town again & by now aged 30, his career quickly petered out at Man City.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Colin Viljoen on 09:15 - May 22 with 14097 viewsKeno

Didn’t he have a thing about not kicking a ball before he had warmed up and then pulled a hammy doing his stretching exercises before kick off?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Colin Viljoen on 09:15 - May 22 with 14094 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 09:08 - May 22 by witchdoctor

inded..saw him score a hatrick at Carrot Rd and I’m sure if memory seves two of them were chipped/ lobbbed goals..

Also got 3 on his debut at home to Portsmouth in 1967 as an 18 year old-the 3 at Carrot Rud were in 1968.
Colin Viljoen on 09:17 - May 22 with 14087 viewsLord_Lucan

Colin Viljoen on 09:13 - May 22 by PJH

Yes he got 2 caps under Don Revie.

It does seem that he was certainly not all that popular in the dressing room as evidenced by the attempt by SBR to try to see if he was fit enough to play in the Cup Final at the expense of Roger Osborne and what followed in the game at Aston Villa and beyond.
Until that point I do not remember being aware of any problems involving him but the later part of his ITFC career was very much injury related.
He only played 13 times in 75/76, none in 76/77 and 16 in 77/78.

I'm surprised he played that much as I really can't remember him playing.

I remember more of Keith Bertschin.

Colin Viljoen on 09:24 - May 22 with 14058 viewsusm

He was the best player in team when I started going in the late 60's. Mind you, he was only competing with the likes of Derek Jefferson, Colin Harper??? (I liked him) and Rod Belfitt. David Best in goal, as well I think.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Colin Viljoen on 09:26 - May 22 with 14045 viewsBluespeed225

Colin Viljoen on 09:13 - May 22 by Radlett_blue

He was clearly Town's most skillful player when I first started watching in 1972. Also adept with free kicks & a cool penalty taker. I don't recall him being injury prone until later in his career, notably 1977-78 when he had been out inured & returned for a game at Villa just before the Cup Final. It seemed clear that Robson was giving him a chance to prove his fitness & if he did OK, he would play at Wembley ahead of the more limited Roger Osborne. Now, it was said that Viljoen wasn't too popular with some of his team mates - he was confident to the point of arrogance & he was one of the first Town players to own a car (amazing to think of that now). Apparently, he regularly refused to give other players a lift to the training ground. So, the theory is that a few of the Town players didn't want him back in the team for the final so they didn't want him to look good at Villa & refused to pass the ball to him, although it was normal for players to take it easy with an FA Cup Final a week away. Anyway, we lost 6-1 & Osborne was restored to the team for Wembley. Viljoen didn't kick a ball for Town again & by now aged 30, his career quickly petered out at Man City.

Think he got a bit of time in 78/9, think there’s a goal at Man City on MOTD footage? Wasn’t he bought in as the Cobbolds ‘gardener’ in 66’ to get round Visa laws or whatever we had then? Known as ‘Ace’ by Robson, maybe self given, probably had a bit of that Afrikaan arrogance about him that didn’t sit well with the lads. Don’t know about D’avray! There’s footage (maybe used in the upcoming SBR film) in 72/3 of the lads leaving the dressing room, as Robson says ‘cmon Ace’, while Colin is doing his hair in the mirror
There’s a picture in the Daily Mail ‘footballers cars’ article from a few years back of him. For some reason he has a toy penguin on the car!
Colin Viljoen on 09:36 - May 22 with 14007 viewsUB9Blue

He was sent off in the first Ipswich game I saw live. Had a bit of a do with Stuart Munroe (?) from Wolves and they bot got sent off in a game that Town won 2-1.

Wasn't he also given some spurious job for one of the Cobbold's just to satisfy visa requirements at the time?
Colin Viljoen on 09:37 - May 22 with 13995 viewsRadlett_blue

Colin Viljoen on 09:26 - May 22 by Bluespeed225

Think he got a bit of time in 78/9, think there’s a goal at Man City on MOTD footage? Wasn’t he bought in as the Cobbolds ‘gardener’ in 66’ to get round Visa laws or whatever we had then? Known as ‘Ace’ by Robson, maybe self given, probably had a bit of that Afrikaan arrogance about him that didn’t sit well with the lads. Don’t know about D’avray! There’s footage (maybe used in the upcoming SBR film) in 72/3 of the lads leaving the dressing room, as Robson says ‘cmon Ace’, while Colin is doing his hair in the mirror
There’s a picture in the Daily Mail ‘footballers cars’ article from a few years back of him. For some reason he has a toy penguin on the car!

There may well have been a need for a work permit, although a few South Africans featured in English football. However, I don't really see "Ace" mowing Mr John's lawn, do you?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Colin Viljoen on 09:38 - May 22 with 13994 viewsWallingford_Boy

Colin Viljoen on 09:26 - May 22 by Bluespeed225

Nah he left in August 78, so didn't play again for Town after the FA Cup Final.

RIP Sir Bobby

Colin Viljoen on 14:11 - May 22 with 13758 viewsBanburyBlue

He was a good player, great passer but not very aggressive as far as I can remember.

he was good friends with my old boss Steve Whymark the Golf Pro at Ipswich GC, seemed a decent guy the few times I met him.

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Colin Viljoen on 17:51 - May 22 with 13642 viewsMeadowlark

Can't add much but heard he had a pub in London after playing, then moved back to SA.
He was our best player by a mile in late 60s early 70s. If he played well the whole team did.
Leading scorer more than once I believe although often not much competition.
Seems harsh to judge him against the stars that were soon to follow, but he was very good in his day.
Other trivia:.
He used to regularly come near the top of the list of "best looking" which featured in the League Review magazine. A give away inside the match programme.
He was once captioned as "Phil Jones" in one of the footie mags! Football Weekly or Shoot probably. Made me chuckle.
Saw him score a super chipped goal over Gordon Banks's outstretched arms in a cup tie at PR.
Colin Viljoen on 18:00 - May 22 with 13613 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Who?
Colin Viljoen on 18:05 - May 22 with 13601 viewsLord_Lucan

Colin Viljoen on 18:00 - May 22 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Who?

You are 12th Man

Colin Viljoen on 18:06 - May 22 with 13585 viewsSpruceMoose

Colin Viljoen on 18:05 - May 22 by Lord_Lucan

You are 12th Man

On this day, we are all 12th Man.

Wait, what am I saying?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Colin Viljoen on 18:30 - May 22 with 13555 viewsBluespeed225

Colin Viljoen on 09:38 - May 22 by Wallingford_Boy

Nah he left in August 78, so didn't play again for Town after the FA Cup Final.

ah, ok, i stand corrected! Did he score in the game im thinking of then? Maine Rd, may have lost 2-1??
Colin Viljoen on 18:36 - May 22 with 13532 viewsBloomBlue

Maybe Colin felt he didn't fit in. Ipswich were known as the white club by a lot of other fans in late 70s/ early 80s because of our lack of blacks players. I had completely forgotten about that tag until a Chelsea fan reminded me a few months ago, I was going to prove him wrong and double checked our squads from that period to prove it.... hmmmm

Which also reminded me when the other fans talked about the white club Town fans response was often 'we have Colin Vijoen'
Colin Viljoen on 18:38 - May 22 with 13534 viewsBlue_badge

Colin Viljoen on 09:24 - May 22 by usm

He was the best player in team when I started going in the late 60's. Mind you, he was only competing with the likes of Derek Jefferson, Colin Harper??? (I liked him) and Rod Belfitt. David Best in goal, as well I think.

CV immediately excelled alongside some great Ipswich players - Danny Hegan, Frank Brogan, Peter Morris, Ray Crawford, John O'Rourke, Clive Woods, Ian Collard, Jimmy Robertson ...
IMHO it was only Colin Bell of Man City that kept him from getting more caps. Superb passer and able to shimmy past a player at will. Certainly one of the best users of the ball of his day.
Not saying that made him an easy person to play with, but from the stands we were always glad to see him
Colin Viljoen on 20:15 - May 22 with 13447 viewsbritbiker

Viljoen was my first hero when I was a young teen. My brain visualised him as being bow legged. Can anyone confirm this or is my memory failing? As monty python wrote ' my eyes are old and bent'
Colin Viljoen on 20:21 - May 22 with 13435 viewsTrequartista

When he returned from injury in 1977-78, one week before the cup final, Robson selected him at Aston Villa in place of Roger Osborne. The team basically went on strike in protest to him coming in to claim a cup final place and were thrashed 1-6. Rookie keeper Paul Overton kept the score down. Robson backed down and omitted Viljoen from the Wembley squad and restored Osborne to the team.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024