Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cost of managerial change 09:28 - May 22 with 851 viewsmonty_radio

I know that some of you guys have a finger on the financial pulse. I have read that West Ham turned away from the idea of Benitez because he would have cost £6m to prise away from Newcastle.

I understand that managers do not carry the possibility of being a saleable asset in the same way that players do, but it still seems irrational when clubs, including the likes of W Ham, readily spend 8-figure sums on players who they hardly utilise, and then sell on, often at far greater losses than the £6m that would give them someone like Benitez.
[Post edited 22 May 2018 9:29]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Cost of managerial change on 09:41 - May 22 with 800 viewsGuthrum

I can't see why Benitez would have left Newcastle for West Ham in any case. It's not really a step up and he's well liked on Tyneside.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cost of managerial change on 09:49 - May 22 with 780 viewsButterbing

Perhaps it would be thought that players are investments but managers are not. A large outlay on a player would normally either keep the player in the squad for the duration of his contract or give rise to potential transfer fees. Maybe those running clubs don't want to part with cash for a manager they are more likely to sack within a year and in doing so pay large amounts of compensation.
Cost of managerial change on 09:50 - May 22 with 774 viewsSwansea_Blue

I agree, the most valuable member of the club and the least valued (in terms of fees). It's a bit of a strange way to carry on and shows the power of players and their agents.

But yep, not sure why he'd want to go from Newcastle where he's clearly happy and well-respected.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cost of managerial change on 10:32 - May 22 with 731 viewsmonty_radio

Cost of managerial change on 09:50 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

I agree, the most valuable member of the club and the least valued (in terms of fees). It's a bit of a strange way to carry on and shows the power of players and their agents.

But yep, not sure why he'd want to go from Newcastle where he's clearly happy and well-respected.

Yep certainly, I'd be surprised if Benitez jumped ship for that lot (though the weather is better).

I get that if a club dispenses with a manager after one season, there's compensation, and no saleable asset. Even so, when you consider what Benitez would bring to a club, if allowed the time and space that West Ham would be unlikely to grant, it still seems an undervaluing of what the top man brings.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024