Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rooney rule 16:26 - May 22 with 6837 viewsGeoffSentence

Who do you reckon were the black candidates ME interviewed? I wonder if Sol Campbell got a hearing.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Rooney rule on 16:31 - May 22 with 5171 viewsBinner

Perhaps he asked TC to pop in before leaving.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Rooney rule on 16:33 - May 22 with 5150 viewsCurrie10

The Rooney rule - an absolute load of rubbish....

What do quotas achieve? Absolutely zero.
Rooney rule on 16:34 - May 22 with 5146 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There may not be any BAME applicants and therefore no BAME interviewees.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rooney rule on 16:36 - May 22 with 5131 viewsDarth_Koont

Chris Powell perhaps.

You can read his coaching career in a number of ways but I think he's been a bit unlucky with behind-the-scenes stuff, certainly at Charlton. With a more stable club and time, he might go on to have a very good career in the Championship or above.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rooney rule on 16:42 - May 22 with 5088 viewstcblue

Rooney rule on 16:33 - May 22 by Currie10

Why do you say it's an absolute load of rubbish? It has been a huge success in US professional sports.
Rooney rule on 16:43 - May 22 with 5069 viewsbluewein

Rooney rule on 16:34 - May 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

There may not be any BAME applicants and therefore no BAME interviewees.

A thought echoed by two of our own...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11224598/Ipswich-Town-coaches-Kieron-

"Bramble appreciates the sentiments, but is scathing in his response to the positive discrimination lobbying.

“I used to say at school I’m not getting this and that because I’m black, but I was 10,” Bramble said. “That is such an outdated view. I just see these figures saying there aren’t many black coaches.

“I’d like to see the figures which show how many black players want to go into coaching. I can say that because I’m black and I’m struggling to think of a single black team-mate who showed any interest in coaching. Kieron is the only one.

“How many black people have applied for coaching jobs or management jobs and not got them? We don’t know. We haven’t been shown any proof black coaches and managers have gone for jobs and not got them. We’ve got people saying they’ve been discriminated against, but we’ve not seen any evidence.

“I don’t see my skin colour is going to have any impact on me as a coach, but I haven’t put that to the test elsewhere yet. Ipswich is the club where I started my career and it’s a family club. If we have this conversation in five years, and I’ve gone for other coaching jobs and not got them and people without the same CV as me have, maybe I’ll feel differently.”
[Post edited 22 May 2018 16:44]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Rooney rule on 16:49 - May 22 with 5031 viewsHeathlander

Princess Meghan
Rooney rule on 16:55 - May 22 with 5000 viewstextbackup

Rooney rule on 16:42 - May 22 by tcblue

Why do you say it's an absolute load of rubbish? It has been a huge success in US professional sports.

Huge success?
‘Here mate youre black I’ll interview you, oh but by the way you are about 45th on our list of those better qialified’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Rooney rule on 16:58 - May 22 with 4990 viewsCurrie10

Rooney rule on 16:42 - May 22 by tcblue

If you're good enough you're on the shortlist.

Irrespective of colour - you are on it.

If you're put on a shortlist for the sake of it, what is the ruddy point.

Absolutely pathetic.
Rooney rule on 17:13 - May 22 with 4921 viewsclive_baker

My colleagues mate (black) who I’ve been out on the beer with a number of times has started ‘making waves’ in comedy. He was recently put up for a black comedy award. He told them to remove him from the running, didn’t want the award or any association with it. I asked him why, he said something along the lines of ‘I don’t want to be recognised as the best black comedian. Why can I just be the best comedian? And if I’m not, then so be it. I don’t want to compete in this sub category that discriminates on race’. He went on to offer his view on positive discrimination too, was firmly against it and viewed it as a step back.

Obviously that’s one persons opinion, but having heard him out I’m inclined to agree with him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rooney rule on 17:15 - May 22 with 4909 viewsReuser_is_God

Does he have to interview a black manager even if he thinks/knows they’re not good enough?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Rooney rule on 17:17 - May 22 with 4903 viewstcblue

Rooney rule on 16:55 - May 22 by textbackup

Huge success?
‘Here mate youre black I’ll interview you, oh but by the way you are about 45th on our list of those better qialified’

That's not how it has worked in the US.

It seems weird that we're suggesting that we don't want to encourage this. The Rooney Rule in the US effectively created an environment where there was an element of hope for BAME would-be coaches.

Is it that there's no applicants because somehow there's a disposition against interest in management based on ethnicity? Or would a more reasoned view be that, like Titus, players who retire are so conditioned to the status quo that they don't bother to think about it as a career?

As an aside, I'm in agreement broadly against quotas, it is reductive. But if it is a means or tool to broaden the horizons and challenge the status quo for the better, don't we all have a vested interest? Same as the Draconian measures (ineffectual because they're effectively lip service) to gender pay equality brought in recently - it shouldn't need to be a thing, but if it works, who loses out?
[Post edited 22 May 2018 17:21]
Rooney rule on 17:22 - May 22 with 4860 viewstcblue

Rooney rule on 17:13 - May 22 by clive_baker

My colleagues mate (black) who I’ve been out on the beer with a number of times has started ‘making waves’ in comedy. He was recently put up for a black comedy award. He told them to remove him from the running, didn’t want the award or any association with it. I asked him why, he said something along the lines of ‘I don’t want to be recognised as the best black comedian. Why can I just be the best comedian? And if I’m not, then so be it. I don’t want to compete in this sub category that discriminates on race’. He went on to offer his view on positive discrimination too, was firmly against it and viewed it as a step back.

Obviously that’s one persons opinion, but having heard him out I’m inclined to agree with him.

This is a false equivalence. And good on your black friend.
Rooney rule on 17:22 - May 22 with 4859 viewsDarth_Koont

Rooney rule on 16:58 - May 22 by Currie10

If you're good enough you're on the shortlist.

Irrespective of colour - you are on it.

If you're put on a shortlist for the sake of it, what is the ruddy point.

Absolutely pathetic.

You need to read up on it.

It improves the whole process as it helps you keep an open mind about all candidates regardless of colour. It helps break interviewers out of the automatic and subconscious decisions that are often made before any candidates have even applied.

Rooney rule on 17:27 - May 22 with 4838 viewsDarth_Koont

Rooney rule on 17:13 - May 22 by clive_baker

Is there a belief however subconscious that black comedians aren't funny?

Would be pretty difficult considering Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Hannibal Buress etc. can all be seen as the best comedians in the world. If not the top comedians for a time at least.

With other jobs there isn't that perceived and fully accepted reality to fall back on.

FWIW I think your mate is absolutely right when it comes to comedy.

Rooney rule on 18:11 - May 22 with 4724 viewsCurrie10

Rooney rule on 17:22 - May 22 by Darth_Koont

You need to read up on it.

It improves the whole process as it helps you keep an open mind about all candidates regardless of colour. It helps break interviewers out of the automatic and subconscious decisions that are often made before any candidates have even applied.

I'd rather not - it's a load of rubbish.

If people in 2018 need to be reminded to keep an open mind............ then there is a serious problem with the world.

Quotas are absolutely insulting, and I would suggest especially on this issue - such a quota is likely to ironically cause more racism not less.

Utter madness.
Rooney rule on 18:16 - May 22 with 4708 viewsBloomBlue

How about Wayne Rooney as player manager
Rooney rule on 18:16 - May 22 with 4707 viewsconnorscontract

Maybe you don't fully understand what the Rooney rule is. It's not a quota, it's an obligation to interview at least one BAME candidate.

And it has worked- see this article about the NFL:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/13/rooney-rule-8-minority-head-
Rooney rule on 18:34 - May 22 with 4660 viewsDanTheMan

Rooney rule on 18:16 - May 22 by connorscontract

Maybe you don't fully understand what the Rooney rule is. It's not a quota, it's an obligation to interview at least one BAME candidate.

And it has worked- see this article about the NFL:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/13/rooney-rule-8-minority-head-

Yes but if I say it's absolute rubbish with nothing to back that up, I'm right.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rooney rule on 18:42 - May 22 with 4625 viewsITFC_Forever

Rooney rule on 16:36 - May 22 by Darth_Koont

Chris Powell perhaps.

You can read his coaching career in a number of ways but I think he's been a bit unlucky with behind-the-scenes stuff, certainly at Charlton. With a more stable club and time, he might go on to have a very good career in the Championship or above.

Isn’t he in work at Southend?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Rooney rule on 19:01 - May 22 with 4572 viewsDarth_Koont

Rooney rule on 18:11 - May 22 by Currie10

I'd rather not - it's a load of rubbish.

If people in 2018 need to be reminded to keep an open mind............ then there is a serious problem with the world.

Quotas are absolutely insulting, and I would suggest especially on this issue - such a quota is likely to ironically cause more racism not less.

Utter madness.

You could actually surprise yourself (and me) if you read about it.

As it stands, your opinion doesn't mean anything on its own.

Rooney rule on 19:04 - May 22 with 4560 viewsDarth_Koont

Rooney rule on 18:42 - May 22 by ITFC_Forever

Isn’t he in work at Southend?

Yes. But wonder if he's someone we've inquired about or if he's applied himself.

He's not far off having the right credentials even though he's not as instantly inspiring as some of the others.

Rooney rule on 20:28 - May 22 with 4413 viewsHennikerBlu

Rooney rule on 17:22 - May 22 by tcblue

This is a false equivalence. And good on your black friend.

Yet the music industry has its own black awards and of course this is a hot topic in Hollywood the lack of black selection when it comes to awards and for roles.
Rooney rule on 20:32 - May 22 with 4401 viewstcblue

Rooney rule on 20:28 - May 22 by HennikerBlu

Yet the music industry has its own black awards and of course this is a hot topic in Hollywood the lack of black selection when it comes to awards and for roles.

It's still not relevant here though.
Rooney rule on 20:37 - May 22 with 4387 viewsHennikerBlu

Rooney rule on 17:17 - May 22 by tcblue

That's not how it has worked in the US.

It seems weird that we're suggesting that we don't want to encourage this. The Rooney Rule in the US effectively created an environment where there was an element of hope for BAME would-be coaches.

Is it that there's no applicants because somehow there's a disposition against interest in management based on ethnicity? Or would a more reasoned view be that, like Titus, players who retire are so conditioned to the status quo that they don't bother to think about it as a career?

As an aside, I'm in agreement broadly against quotas, it is reductive. But if it is a means or tool to broaden the horizons and challenge the status quo for the better, don't we all have a vested interest? Same as the Draconian measures (ineffectual because they're effectively lip service) to gender pay equality brought in recently - it shouldn't need to be a thing, but if it works, who loses out?
[Post edited 22 May 2018 17:21]

Good post. I have watched few American documentaries/news items on this and it has been considered very positive and a success. I think we tend to forget that racism (even in glass ceiling terms) is still a significant problem in the States.

It should also be considered that the percentage of black players as a mix is much greater than we see in sports in the UK, Off the top of my head I wouldn't be surprised if it is as much as 50%+ in American football.

Hence, understandably, the very poor black representation with coaches became an issue.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024