Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone read local news websites? 10:19 - May 23 with 1188 viewsGrantland14

Hi! Long time reader and first time poster (season ticket holder for ~17 (long) years!)

I'm doing some research for a project on local news websites, why people pay attention to local news, why they care about local issues and the biggest problems with current offerings. e.g. too many ads, bad content, slow sites, etc.

For context, I'm hoping to write up a quick report on my findings and also test out some ideas on what the future of local publishing might look like 😀

Just wondering if anyone here frequently visits their local site, if so, what it is that prompts you to do so? And how it could be improved?

P.S. if you have a couple of mins, I've set up a quick survey here: https://newsresearch.typeform.com/to/Nnaas3
[Post edited 23 May 2018 10:40]
Does anyone read local news websites? on 10:32 - May 23 with 1165 viewsClapham_Junction

I've largely given up on reading the EADT and Evening Star websites because pages take so long to load and frequently cause my browser to freeze. Either they're really poor websites, or it's the sheer mass of ad content that causes it. My guess is probably the latter, as pretty much every local newspaper website I've looked at for whatever reason has the same problem.
Does anyone read local news websites? on 10:35 - May 23 with 1156 viewsGrantland14

Does anyone read local news websites? on 10:32 - May 23 by Clapham_Junction

I've largely given up on reading the EADT and Evening Star websites because pages take so long to load and frequently cause my browser to freeze. Either they're really poor websites, or it's the sheer mass of ad content that causes it. My guess is probably the latter, as pretty much every local newspaper website I've looked at for whatever reason has the same problem.

Thanks for your feedback. I've definitely had similar experience on many sites (not just local news), sometimes the content is barely readable due to all the popups and ads that appear on the screen.
Does anyone read local news websites? on 10:56 - May 23 with 1109 viewsjpr_23

I don't mind the ads, but get really annoyed by the questions that they ask where you can't seen the content until you have answered the question.

I always lie in my responses to get my own back...

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Does anyone read local news websites? on 11:22 - May 23 with 1076 viewsGrantland14

Does anyone read local news websites? on 10:56 - May 23 by jpr_23

I don't mind the ads, but get really annoyed by the questions that they ask where you can't seen the content until you have answered the question.

I always lie in my responses to get my own back...

Thanks! Ha, yeah those forms can be annoying.
Does anyone read local news websites? on 11:57 - May 23 with 1058 viewsbrazil1982

I've resorted to buying the local paper here in darkest Yorkshire because the website is so poor.
Does anyone read local news websites? on 12:02 - May 23 with 1046 viewsfooters

Didn't Archant undergo some sort of restructuring in recent years that meant 'local' newspapers were being written and printed elsewhere? I think one of the main offices is now in Wales and struggling to attract staff.

I don't really read any local newspapers, if I'm honest. Although, London is an odd place to have a local paper. Surely the Standard Evening and Metro don't count on that score.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024