Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy to Derby 10:40 - May 23 with 4110 viewsRudyard83

Looking at twitter, and there's a surprising amount of people saying that they'd want him as their next manager. Baffling that other club's fans rate him so highly, and don't mind his style of football. I accept that he has promotions under his belt, however his style of football is outdated IMO

EDIT: I also see that they think that he is a good choice due to their "limited budget". Are they in financial trouble after all of their spending in recent years?
[Post edited 23 May 2018 10:44]
McCarthy to Derby on 10:41 - May 23 with 4084 viewsHipsterectomy

Think he'd do well there - don't they have Jerome? That's the perfect player for a MM team

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

McCarthy to Derby on 10:42 - May 23 with 4089 viewsReuser_is_God

Ian Holloway has been promoted twice since Mick was last promoted.

& one of those times was with Blackpool who spent even less than we do.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

McCarthy to Derby on 10:42 - May 23 with 4075 viewsSomethingBlue

He's not exactly Dave Bassett.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McCarthy to Derby on 10:46 - May 23 with 4042 viewsRudyard83

McCarthy to Derby on 10:42 - May 23 by Reuser_is_God

Completely agree, although to be fair, prices and overall spending in football have gone up by over 100% in the last few years so I'm not sure it's comparable in terms of spending
McCarthy to Derby on 10:47 - May 23 with 4023 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

McCarthy to Derby on 10:46 - May 23 by Rudyard83

Completely agree, although to be fair, prices and overall spending in football have gone up by over 100% in the last few years so I'm not sure it's comparable in terms of spending

I suspect its comparable in terms of having one of the lowest budgets in the league at the time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

McCarthy to Derby on 10:48 - May 23 with 4019 viewsHeathlander

I went to a grassroots football show at the NEC and they put on coaching sessions with a local college football team. the coaches were Peter Taylor, George Burley, Ian Dowie and Ian Holloway.

Ian Holloway was brilliant. He was so positive. he learnt the boys names in a matter of minutes and called them by their first names. He would be a great manager for us after watching that. But he will never get the job or even be considered.

As an aside Peter Taylor was awful.
McCarthy to Derby on 10:53 - May 23 with 3980 viewsSteve_M

Whilst Holloway was getting Blackpool promoted, MM was keeping Wolves in the Premier League for three years.

There really is no need to keep doing McCarthy down

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McCarthy to Derby on 10:54 - May 23 with 3949 viewshomer_123

McCarthy to Derby on 10:53 - May 23 by Steve_M

Whilst Holloway was getting Blackpool promoted, MM was keeping Wolves in the Premier League for three years.

There really is no need to keep doing McCarthy down

Quite, the continual Mick bashing is depressing.

What's worse is that it gives those fans a sense of power, in that they perceive their actions have forced change which doesn't bode well for the future.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy to Derby on 10:56 - May 23 with 3929 views12th_Man

Don't mention twitter on here

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

McCarthy to Derby on 10:56 - May 23 with 3922 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

The 'limited budget' is based on them planning on reining it in after a few years of overspending. It was apparently always planned if they didn't get promoted.
I can't imagine it will cripple them though and they'll simply return to something closer to "normal" which would mean a couple of million each season, rather than £10 million+ each year

On that basis Mick would be absolutely ideal. He'd have a far more talented squad to work with, so he would get them playing better than he ever did with us (although clearly nothing like expansive..)

Can't see it happening though, but if he was to go there I would fancy them to still finish top 6
McCarthy to Derby on 10:58 - May 23 with 3901 viewshomer_123

McCarthy to Derby on 10:56 - May 23 by 12th_Man

Don't mention twitter on here

Certainly not without going through you first.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

McCarthy to Derby on 11:03 - May 23 with 3870 viewsgoat_man

Personally, I really don't think that Mick is anything to worry about now. He has become so transfixed on defending his own perceived managerial reputation, that he forgets that he also needs to go out and win games if he wishes to add to it. He also won't get the same amount of time to be wrong at other clubs as he was afforded here.
McCarthy to Derby on 11:09 - May 23 with 3806 viewsSteve_M

McCarthy to Derby on 10:54 - May 23 by homer_123

Quite, the continual Mick bashing is depressing.

What's worse is that it gives those fans a sense of power, in that they perceive their actions have forced change which doesn't bode well for the future.

As much as anything else, it does show a complete lack of perspective about our standing as a club at the moment. It was, of course, the right time for a change but trying to pretend that McCarthy is totally past it is wrong.

He would do well at Derby I think, the difference in how we played when he had a fit, effective side (most of 2014-15, quite a few home matches at PR last Autumn) compared to when we didn't is massive. Doubt they will be interested though.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 11:24]

McCarthy to Derby on 11:15 - May 23 with 3758 viewsGeoffSentence

Keroist. If that happens, Benters head will explode

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

McCarthy to Derby on 11:27 - May 23 with 3696 viewsJohnny_Boy

Personally speaking, I'd have expected Mick to get that Stoke job. Properly nailed on. But perhaps after getting stung with a member of the tired old merry-go-round managers (Hughes) it's forced them to go in a different direction.

Maybe there is a feeling that the new crop of managers are the way forward. It certainly feels that way in the Prem, what with the departures of Sam & Moyes.

You take into account those two, Coleman, Mick, Lambert. There are a LOT of potential managers currently out of work.
McCarthy to Derby on 11:34 - May 23 with 3653 viewsSteve_M

McCarthy to Derby on 11:27 - May 23 by Johnny_Boy

Personally speaking, I'd have expected Mick to get that Stoke job. Properly nailed on. But perhaps after getting stung with a member of the tired old merry-go-round managers (Hughes) it's forced them to go in a different direction.

Maybe there is a feeling that the new crop of managers are the way forward. It certainly feels that way in the Prem, what with the departures of Sam & Moyes.

You take into account those two, Coleman, Mick, Lambert. There are a LOT of potential managers currently out of work.

Odd then, wouldn't you say, that Stoke have appointed a manager whose preferred model of play is broadly similar to McCarthy's.

McCarthy to Derby on 11:39 - May 23 with 3629 viewshype313

McCarthy to Derby on 11:27 - May 23 by Johnny_Boy

Read a piece yesterday about all this manager merry go round going on, and the crux of it is that it's not necessarily down to bad management,more a case of bad ownership. These guys are paid handsomely to be scapegoats, interesting how you never see anyone sacked who made the decision to hire them in the first place.

Which makes Fergies comments to any young aspiring manager about choosing the owner rather then the club, even more pertinent.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McCarthy to Derby on 11:46 - May 23 with 3593 viewsJohnny_Boy

McCarthy to Derby on 11:34 - May 23 by Steve_M

Odd then, wouldn't you say, that Stoke have appointed a manager whose preferred model of play is broadly similar to McCarthy's.

But I pointed out yesterday, if Rowett was their ACE card, you'd have thought they'd have been better sticking with Lambert - especially in The Championship.
I'd personally be more confident with his transfer ability compared to Rowett's.

So much can happen in the transfer window till the new season starts. Stoke might offload 15 players in the summer.
McCarthy to Derby on 11:51 - May 23 with 3557 viewsFrimleyBlue

I wish Mick all the best where ever he goes

Only advice I would love to give him face to face - Football isn't all about Mick McCarthy.

Fans are important, even more so the Minorities.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McCarthy to Derby on 11:56 - May 23 with 3536 viewsSaigonTractor

They were all happy to see Rowett go because of his "Awful football". Saw a guy on Twitter earlier say "Derby fans like attractive football, so Rowett wasn't a good pick"

They're in for a shock if they appoint Mick.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 12:04]
McCarthy to Derby on 12:13 - May 23 with 3465 viewsSteve_M

McCarthy to Derby on 11:46 - May 23 by Johnny_Boy

But I pointed out yesterday, if Rowett was their ACE card, you'd have thought they'd have been better sticking with Lambert - especially in The Championship.
I'd personally be more confident with his transfer ability compared to Rowett's.

So much can happen in the transfer window till the new season starts. Stoke might offload 15 players in the summer.

Yes, agree with you there. They paid quite a lot of compensation to Derby as well it seems, Sky quoted something like £1.8m yesterday.

I presume Stoke need to offload anyway, big wages and there are a few attitudes they want rid of.

McCarthy to Derby on 12:59 - May 23 with 3358 viewsJohnny_Boy

McCarthy to Derby on 12:13 - May 23 by Steve_M

Yes, agree with you there. They paid quite a lot of compensation to Derby as well it seems, Sky quoted something like £1.8m yesterday.

I presume Stoke need to offload anyway, big wages and there are a few attitudes they want rid of.

I heard yesterday that Sam got an £11m pay-off from Everton for cancelling his contract.
That is seriously impressive earning skills from that fat c-beak.

You could argue he even engineered that move by publicly having those spats against the fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024