Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it 07:20 - May 24 with 2163 viewsPopeye

Club in free fall, two relegations in two seasons. OK he will have the biggest budget in league one but he is also inheriting players on big money with long contracts. I believe some sunderland players had clauses in their contracts if club was relegated from premier league but doubt they had one if club was relegated from championship so I’m sure a lot of them still on £20k+ per week which is way above top league one wages. He has got to get rid of those players before he can sign new players as club cannot afford them but who will take them. Rodwell is allegedly on £70k a week and won’t move unless he can get the same elsewhere which is his right but who is gonna pay him that in championship or premier league? £350k a year Ross is allegedly getting at Sunderland is way above what he gets at st Mirren but not a lot considering the size of the task ahead of him. Managing Sunderland is worlds away from managing st Mirren, fan expectation, crowd size, quality of player etc. Good luck jack you’re gonna need it!
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 07:25 - May 24 with 2139 viewsDeano69

Anything less than 100 points and 100goals for them next season is a failure.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 07:50 - May 24 with 2085 viewsdavblue

It's a risk for him but a fantastic opportunity for him also.

The new owner has been involved with football at Oxford and he was part of turning that club around. Yes they are used to losing but they have a chance of a fresh start. Short's regime was pretty awful, but that's been cleared out.
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:13 - May 24 with 2038 viewsitfcjoe

It's a big risk but a huge opportunity - he must back himself to make it work.

In some ways it is easier going in there now than it would have been had they stayed up, but agree it's a big risk

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:22 - May 24 with 2014 viewspeterleeblue

Its certainly a big season for them and I would have thought Hurst was probably a better option for them with knowledge of the league etc.

Sunderland fans see the appointment as progressive and that the new owners haven't surrounded themselves with southern "mates".

It will be interesting to see how they get on.

Most of Sunderlands high earners are now out of contract with just Cattermole and the frankly useless Rodwell still on the books on decent money. The debts are now cleared so they can probably ride with a few high earners and still have a more than competitive team at that level.

Another view on Ross is that he could have and I quote "Gone to Ipswich and hovered around midtable until the fans got bored of him or come to Sunderland and be part of something progressive"
From what I'm seeing the new owners budget may be Ok for league 1 but once in the championship they will be no better placed than Ipswich financially without further backing. So Ross could be still hovering in mid table. On the other hand if he is the next Fergie melt down on here I guess!
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:38 - May 24 with 1991 viewsflimflam

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:13 - May 24 by itfcjoe

In some ways it is easier going in there now than it would have been had they stayed up, but agree it's a big risk

No one expected them to finish bottom of the Championship following finishing bottom of the Premiership and I believe only the second club to do that is successive seasons.

Nothing is for certain and if they start badly in League 1 then he might find himself tarnished goods. Dont expect League 1 to be a walk in the park as Sunderland were relegated for a good reason, they were garbage all season.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:40 - May 24 with 1978 viewshomer_123

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:38 - May 24 by flimflam

No one expected them to finish bottom of the Championship following finishing bottom of the Premiership and I believe only the second club to do that is successive seasons.

Nothing is for certain and if they start badly in League 1 then he might find himself tarnished goods. Dont expect League 1 to be a walk in the park as Sunderland were relegated for a good reason, they were garbage all season.

Actually, they weren't garbage - they, at times, played half decent football.

The bigger issues is they are a complete basket case of a club from top to bottom .

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 09:20 - May 24 with 1922 viewsx123456789

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:13 - May 24 by itfcjoe

I think it makes perfect sense for Ross:
- he can go in to the club and forge his own team
- in an easier League
- with higher relative budget to be League, and probably actually higher than ipswich
- in a League where his own players from Scotland are more likely to make the grade
- and thereby if he gets promotion he will have his own team in place to take on the championship with a year more experience under his belt
- all while closer to home and on good money
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 09:30 - May 24 with 1908 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Quite right. Things could very easily get even worse there with a new owner with vague financial backers coming from a small non-league club walking into an absolute car crash. Feels like he's dazzled by the opportunity to own a relatively big club and hasn't really fully assessed the circumstances. The fact that they've offered Ross 7 times his wage at St Mirren does not suggest any lessons being learnt by the new owner - 2 or 3 times what must have been a fairly modest wage would surely have done the job, with a new contract to follow if he does well in the short term.

I wish Ross luck but he will need every ounce of it. A strange decision for a young, ambitious manager
Login to get fewer ads

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 09:36 - May 24 with 1891 viewsPhilTWTD

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 09:30 - May 24 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Quite right. Things could very easily get even worse there with a new owner with vague financial backers coming from a small non-league club walking into an absolute car crash. Feels like he's dazzled by the opportunity to own a relatively big club and hasn't really fully assessed the circumstances. The fact that they've offered Ross 7 times his wage at St Mirren does not suggest any lessons being learnt by the new owner - 2 or 3 times what must have been a fairly modest wage would surely have done the job, with a new contract to follow if he does well in the short term.

I wish Ross luck but he will need every ounce of it. A strange decision for a young, ambitious manager

And looking at it from the other angle, brave for Sunderland to appoint a relatively inexperienced manager from a comparatively very small club given the challenges on and off the field. Sunderland should win that division at a canter but the issues outlines in the OP mean it might not be quite as easy as all that.
good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 09:59 - May 24 with 1839 viewsflimflam

good luck to jack Ross at Sunderland as he’s going to need it on 08:40 - May 24 by homer_123

Actually, they weren't garbage - they, at times, played half decent football.

The bigger issues is they are a complete basket case of a club from top to bottom .

I went home and away and they were garbage.

Any team can have flashes of looking good but over the course of the season they finished bottom of the league with the remnants of a premiership squad so I still say they were garbage.
Teams finish bottom of the league for a reason.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024