Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Day 57 of the managerial search.... 08:10 - May 24 with 5114 viewsitfcjoe

Where are we?

W have had reportedly 80-100 applicants

There were a large number of informal chats with potential candidates.

A number of interviews have been held, and around 4-5 candidates have had second interviews.

All seems fairly sensible so far.....

But despite all that, we now seem to have one stand out candidate, and this candidate is yet to be interviewed at all? This candidate may or may not have been the favourite a couple of days ago.

It seems an incredibly flawed and risky process for me.

There has presumably been an indication between Hurst or his representatives and Evans that he is interested in the job. But until they sit down and see the whites of each others eyes an indication he would like it isn't worth a lot.

There is also he spanner in the works that Shrewsbury could win at Wembley and Hurst gets swept away by the emotion and decides to stay on - going to be hard to walk away.

I'm personally very concerned that what has at times appeared to be a very methodical and thought out process, has lead us to this position which is on a knifes edge now.

I hope nothing goes wrong, and Hurst can be appointed next week like all other ITFC fans because whilst I preferred Ross it is clear that Hurst is an excellent candidate. But I can't say I'm filled with any confidence it will happen.

If we don't end up with Hurst, this process where we had a huge head start on the market will have been a total f*ck up.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:13 - May 24 with 3492 viewsKeno

I am looking forward to the press conference where "we are delighted to announce after a long and extensive search we are pleased to introduce the man we feel best suited to take Ipswich to a new level ........ Mr Gary Megson

It almost becoming farcical

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:17 - May 24 with 3467 viewsDblock_Debonair

I'd be very surprised if Hurst hasn't already had the first interview.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:17 - May 24 with 3466 viewschicoazul

Joe may I be the one to tell you to calm it down a bit? I appreciate we and you can talk about anything we and you like but you need to let it go. We will have a Manager soon, no doubt about it, and then we can debate the rights and wrongs of the appointment etc but you're as in the dark as the rest of us about the process. No point in getting het up about stuff we have no real clue about other than guessing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:18 - May 24 with 3459 viewsDarth_Koont

You could be right. But the only knowledge we have of who is a candidate or where ME is in the process has come from press conjecture (some of it no doubt very solid) and a few confirmations here and there like St Mirren giving us permission to speak to Ross.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were a number of candidates and discussions that we've heard nothing about. For example, there's been almost nothing about any applicants from overseas.

Pronouns: He/Him

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:18 - May 24 with 3459 viewsdavblue

It feels like this has been a too business focused recruitment process.

Football doesn't work like that.

Really we should have been keeping a dossier of managers who we are interested in and not have to interview so many people.

This is lining up to be a massive egg on face moment and questions will have to be asked.

Of course we could all be wrong and Hurst was the one we wanted but it's a hell of a risk Evans is taking, plus we have missed out on 4 weeks of preparation for the new season as well.

The whole thing has been poor you have to say, Evans for me doesn't quite get the football world as his ownership has reflected, Mick papered over alot of cracks.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:21 - May 24 with 3438 viewstractorboy1978

I think this still has a way to run, particularly if Shrewsbury get promoted. Is he going to pop down for an interview/chat whilst all the celebrations and bus parade are going on? It would take a pretty hard nosed person to leave so swiftly.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:22 - May 24 with 3430 viewsBluefish

Texty can you pass the the flouncer badge over to Joe now please. We have a new leader in town.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:27 - May 24 with 3399 viewsblueislander

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:18 - May 24 by davblue

Really we should have been keeping a dossier of managers who we are interested in and not have to interview so many people.

This is lining up to be a massive egg on face moment and questions will have to be asked.

Of course we could all be wrong and Hurst was the one we wanted but it's a hell of a risk Evans is taking, plus we have missed out on 4 weeks of preparation for the new season as well.

The whole thing has been poor you have to say, Evans for me doesn't quite get the football world as his ownership has reflected, Mick papered over alot of cracks.

It seems to me that there is a lack of appreciation of the difficulties of recruiting a high level employee in a competitive situation. Evans obviously has a process which he is following , but the process will get hijacked by circumstances beyond his control. It is not just a question of selecting a candidate, and giving them everything thay ask for.
Login to get fewer ads

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:28 - May 24 with 3393 viewsitfcjoe

It also seems that it hasn't reacted to external factors, like other jobs becoming available who are fishing in the same talent pool.

As I said, if it's Hurst then it's all tickety-boo and even if that means we've got away with it then it doesn't matter a jot.

If it isn't Hurst and we appoint someone who was available 4 weeks ago then we've given the new manager a hospital pass to start the season when they could have been working on the job.

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:29 - May 24 with 3384 viewschristiand

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:17 - May 24 by Dblock_Debonair

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Paul Hurst has yet to be interviewed by the club, you have to remember this is Ipswich Town under ME!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:30 - May 24 with 3390 viewstextbackup

FWIW - I have been told it is Hurst.
was number one choice from the off but ME wanted to interview a range of people to broaden his own knowledge of what to look for in managers/coaches, and also possibly have names for future appointments
I was a little gutted to see the news yesterday, about Ross, but, i'm going to trust ME on this one.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:32 - May 24 with 3371 viewsBluefish

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:30 - May 24 by textbackup

was number one choice from the off but ME wanted to interview a range of people to broaden his own knowledge of what to look for in managers/coaches, and also possibly have names for future appointments
I was a little gutted to see the news yesterday, about Ross, but, i'm going to trust ME on this one.

This makes complete sense

Ross was exciting but doesn't mean he was 1st choice. Hurst is just as good and a safer bet

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:32 - May 24 with 3367 viewsconnorscontract

If Hurst is the one we want, and if informal discussions were held weeks ago, then what else could ME have done?

Said "No, leave now in the run in and let down the club where you have worked hard, and the players you have shaped into a committed and loyal team and the fans who appreciate all that you have done"?

A manager who would walk out on a club in the promotion hunt and leave them rudderless, to go and join a club with a few meaningless end of season mid-table contractually obligated fixtures to fulfill, isn't the sort who we would want at our club.

Hurst's commitment to fulfill his obligations to Shrewsbury, at the risk of missing out on a bigger contract elsewhere, to want the promotion on his CV, even though he risks failing in the Play Off lottery, and refusal to be drawn into any kind of comment or allow his focus on his job at Shrewsbury to be distracted, are all reasons to see him as a good fit at Town.

And Evans, as someone who gives managers time and space,and is willing to respect the formalities of asking Clubs for permission to talk to managers and not distract them in the fortnight before the biggest game of their career (and the history of the Club) is probably demonstrating to Hurst the qualities that would make him attractive as an owner.

Of course there is risk involved, but we want the kind of manager who wouldn't bail on us mid-season if offered more money elsewhere.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:35 - May 24 with 3354 viewstextbackup

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:22 - May 24 by Bluefish

Texty can you pass the the flouncer badge over to Joe now please. We have a new leader in town.

Oi I only ever moaned about Mick and what I saw his teams produce. had he gone a while back, when he should have been sacked, we'd have a manager in place by now.

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:35 - May 24 with 3356 viewsKieran_Knows

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:30 - May 24 by textbackup

Interesting Texters. Is it Hurst, regardless of their result on Sunday? Or could that change if they win?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:37 - May 24 with 3325 viewsitfcjoe

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:32 - May 24 by connorscontract

If Hurst is the one we want, and if informal discussions were held weeks ago, then what else could ME have done?

Said "No, leave now in the run in and let down the club where you have worked hard, and the players you have shaped into a committed and loyal team and the fans who appreciate all that you have done"?

A manager who would walk out on a club in the promotion hunt and leave them rudderless, to go and join a club with a few meaningless end of season mid-table contractually obligated fixtures to fulfill, isn't the sort who we would want at our club.

Hurst's commitment to fulfill his obligations to Shrewsbury, at the risk of missing out on a bigger contract elsewhere, to want the promotion on his CV, even though he risks failing in the Play Off lottery, and refusal to be drawn into any kind of comment or allow his focus on his job at Shrewsbury to be distracted, are all reasons to see him as a good fit at Town.

And Evans, as someone who gives managers time and space,and is willing to respect the formalities of asking Clubs for permission to talk to managers and not distract them in the fortnight before the biggest game of their career (and the history of the Club) is probably demonstrating to Hurst the qualities that would make him attractive as an owner.

Of course there is risk involved, but we want the kind of manager who wouldn't bail on us mid-season if offered more money elsewhere.

We've left ourselves very exposed - if it comes off the risk was worth taking.

However if it doesn't, it's an absolute balls up - if Evans wasn't the one doing the recruiting the head of the process for such an important role would have their head on the chopping block!

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:39 - May 24 with 3314 viewstextbackup

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:35 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Interesting Texters. Is it Hurst, regardless of their result on Sunday? Or could that change if they win?

sounds as tho he is the man, whatever the outcome. (certainly the man ME wants) and the man is very keen too.... however you never know how he'll feel inside if he takes them up and he's shown all this love....
i'm pretty confident it'll be him though.

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:40 - May 24 with 3300 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:21 - May 24 by tractorboy1978

I think this still has a way to run, particularly if Shrewsbury get promoted. Is he going to pop down for an interview/chat whilst all the celebrations and bus parade are going on? It would take a pretty hard nosed person to leave so swiftly.

This is my view on it.

Promotion Sunday evening, biggest ever achievement for Shrewsbury FC and it's towns folk.

Interview and/or job offer with ITFC Monday morning.

It is not a good time line for manager and football club alike.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:41 - May 24 with 3304 viewsKieran_Knows

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:39 - May 24 by textbackup

sounds as tho he is the man, whatever the outcome. (certainly the man ME wants) and the man is very keen too.... however you never know how he'll feel inside if he takes them up and he's shown all this love....
i'm pretty confident it'll be him though.

Fair enough! Sounds like we must have some sort of indication that whatever the result Sunday, he's willing to come here - hence why nothing was offered to Ross (or he was second choice failing Hurst).

Hopefully we can get it done next week, and then we can get cracking on!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:47 - May 24 with 3278 viewschristiand

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:32 - May 24 by connorscontract

Not sure if there are that many football managers around with that level of integrity. I do worry that we are no nearer on - two months in - to making an appointment and now putting all our eggs in one basket thinking it will be Paul Hurst and waxing lyrical about his credentials, after Jack Ross' decision to join Sunderland. Not many are considering that he might in fact turn us down too. If so, we're rapidly going down that reputed managerial shortlist of ME's!! Just seems strange that after being in a position of strength regarding the timing of MM's departure we now appear to be allowing the grass to grow under our feet while other clubs react. Not sure what message this sends out to our candidates either, 'We couldn't secure our 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice manager, but now we'd like to offer you the job Mr Warburton!' Have to say I do look at Stoke City with a bit of admiration outline their interest in a candidate and get the deal done for their new manager within a couple of days......not 57+ days later, but that's ME's Ipswich Town for you!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:55 - May 24 with 3255 viewsFixed_It

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:32 - May 24 by Bluefish

This makes complete sense

Ross was exciting but doesn't mean he was 1st choice. Hurst is just as good and a safer bet

I'll be honest - I wanted Jack Ross because of the charisma, adventurous philosophy and because he is taller than Paul Hurst apparently!

But putting that aside, I think Hurst's knowledge of the lower divisions and the players who might be able to make the step-up to Championship football would probably make him a more sensible choice given our budget and ME's plan going forward.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:00 - May 24 with 3236 viewsBluefish

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:47 - May 24 by christiand

Not sure if there are that many football managers around with that level of integrity. I do worry that we are no nearer on - two months in - to making an appointment and now putting all our eggs in one basket thinking it will be Paul Hurst and waxing lyrical about his credentials, after Jack Ross' decision to join Sunderland. Not many are considering that he might in fact turn us down too. If so, we're rapidly going down that reputed managerial shortlist of ME's!! Just seems strange that after being in a position of strength regarding the timing of MM's departure we now appear to be allowing the grass to grow under our feet while other clubs react. Not sure what message this sends out to our candidates either, 'We couldn't secure our 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice manager, but now we'd like to offer you the job Mr Warburton!' Have to say I do look at Stoke City with a bit of admiration outline their interest in a candidate and get the deal done for their new manager within a couple of days......not 57+ days later, but that's ME's Ipswich Town for you!!!

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 09:01 - May 24 with 3237 viewsunstableblue

Now I’m no expert here... but the Shrews fans seem to suggest its much more of a management team than I’ve read anyone mention.

So the question is has Marcus really been able to sound out his assistant as well... either directly or via Hurst... as they close out play-off semis and prepare for Wembley.

And with that team having lost at Wembley this season... with a stated desire to rectify that... are they really distracting themselves with talk of new roles

Doesn’t add up to me!?

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:02 - May 24 with 3232 viewsBluefish

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:47 - May 24 by christiand

Stoke tried to get to the same manager last time round, they failed and appointed someone else and got relegated. They have now gone back and appointed him after he has failed in his current job and walked out. Lots to be admired obviously.

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:03 - May 24 with 3224 viewsSwansea_Blue

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:17 - May 24 by Dblock_Debonair

He's probably done the personality test with HR and had an awkward lunch in the staff canteen with the other candidates. Now he's fretting over the 1-to1 grilling he'll get over his CV from Ian Milne....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024