Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Day 57 of the managerial search.... 08:10 - May 24 with 5154 viewsitfcjoe

Where are we?

W have had reportedly 80-100 applicants

There were a large number of informal chats with potential candidates.

A number of interviews have been held, and around 4-5 candidates have had second interviews.

All seems fairly sensible so far.....

But despite all that, we now seem to have one stand out candidate, and this candidate is yet to be interviewed at all? This candidate may or may not have been the favourite a couple of days ago.

It seems an incredibly flawed and risky process for me.

There has presumably been an indication between Hurst or his representatives and Evans that he is interested in the job. But until they sit down and see the whites of each others eyes an indication he would like it isn't worth a lot.

There is also he spanner in the works that Shrewsbury could win at Wembley and Hurst gets swept away by the emotion and decides to stay on - going to be hard to walk away.

I'm personally very concerned that what has at times appeared to be a very methodical and thought out process, has lead us to this position which is on a knifes edge now.

I hope nothing goes wrong, and Hurst can be appointed next week like all other ITFC fans because whilst I preferred Ross it is clear that Hurst is an excellent candidate. But I can't say I'm filled with any confidence it will happen.

If we don't end up with Hurst, this process where we had a huge head start on the market will have been a total f*ck up.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:08 - May 24 with 1598 viewsdavblue

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:27 - May 24 by blueislander

It seems to me that there is a lack of appreciation of the difficulties of recruiting a high level employee in a competitive situation. Evans obviously has a process which he is following , but the process will get hijacked by circumstances beyond his control. It is not just a question of selecting a candidate, and giving them everything thay ask for.

That process has to be flexible also.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:09 - May 24 with 1600 viewsITFCBlues

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:28 - May 24 by itfcjoe

It also seems that it hasn't reacted to external factors, like other jobs becoming available who are fishing in the same talent pool.

As I said, if it's Hurst then it's all tickety-boo and even if that means we've got away with it then it doesn't matter a jot.

If it isn't Hurst and we appoint someone who was available 4 weeks ago then we've given the new manager a hospital pass to start the season when they could have been working on the job.

What a load of rubbish. When recruiting for a managers role there will ALWAYS be competition and other clubs looking for managers. It’s not really a case of reacting/panicking because another club is looking for a manager.

It would appear that Hurst is the number one choice, even if you don’t agree with that!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:09 - May 24 with 1600 viewsdavblue

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:30 - May 24 by textbackup

FWIW - I have been told it is Hurst.
was number one choice from the off but ME wanted to interview a range of people to broaden his own knowledge of what to look for in managers/coaches, and also possibly have names for future appointments
I was a little gutted to see the news yesterday, about Ross, but, i'm going to trust ME on this one.

Be prepared, i don't think the football is going to be anything special to watch.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:14 - May 24 with 1589 viewsslideaway

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 08:47 - May 24 by christiand

Not sure if there are that many football managers around with that level of integrity. I do worry that we are no nearer on - two months in - to making an appointment and now putting all our eggs in one basket thinking it will be Paul Hurst and waxing lyrical about his credentials, after Jack Ross' decision to join Sunderland. Not many are considering that he might in fact turn us down too. If so, we're rapidly going down that reputed managerial shortlist of ME's!! Just seems strange that after being in a position of strength regarding the timing of MM's departure we now appear to be allowing the grass to grow under our feet while other clubs react. Not sure what message this sends out to our candidates either, 'We couldn't secure our 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice manager, but now we'd like to offer you the job Mr Warburton!' Have to say I do look at Stoke City with a bit of admiration outline their interest in a candidate and get the deal done for their new manager within a couple of days......not 57+ days later, but that's ME's Ipswich Town for you!!!

You are right in what you say, everyone seems to going all in regarding Hurst as he appears to be the best we can get based on what he has done at Grimbsy and Shrewbury. However he technically is not available and we need to prepare for talks to fall through due to promototion etc.

I certainly believe there some better managers out there we can go for, out of a job or not that we can be more realistic about. I think too many people are judging some of the available managers harshly on prehaps a rubbish run with one team thats remembered but actually have a quite a good CV. Coleman or Pearson perhaps.
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:14 - May 24 with 1590 viewsITFCBlues

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:09 - May 24 by davblue

Be prepared, i don't think the football is going to be anything special to watch.

Maybe not Barcelona but they’re not goofing the ball forward and into the channels like Mick.

They certainly had the ball on the ground in the play-off games...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Day 57 and still nothing (n/t) on 09:17 - May 24 with 1579 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Day 57 and still nothing (n/t) on 09:19 - May 24 with 1573 viewsKieran_Knows

Day 57 and still nothing (n/t) on 09:17 - May 24 by Swansea_Blue

Ha! Made me chuckle!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 09:20 - May 24 with 1571 viewsSWGF

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 09:01 - May 24 by unstableblue

Now I’m no expert here... but the Shrews fans seem to suggest its much more of a management team than I’ve read anyone mention.

So the question is has Marcus really been able to sound out his assistant as well... either directly or via Hurst... as they close out play-off semis and prepare for Wembley.

And with that team having lost at Wembley this season... with a stated desire to rectify that... are they really distracting themselves with talk of new roles

Doesn’t add up to me!?

Why wouldn't we bring in the "management team"?

We'll be looking to fill roles of DoF, manager, assistant manager, fitness coach and GK coach. Shouldn't be an issue, should it?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:03 - May 24 with 1530 viewschristiand

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 09:02 - May 24 by Bluefish

Stoke tried to get to the same manager last time round, they failed and appointed someone else and got relegated. They have now gone back and appointed him after he has failed in his current job and walked out. Lots to be admired obviously.

The voice of reason has spoken.........not!! However, missing the point spot on as usual Truce. The fact that Stoke City are decisive in their decision making was my point in the wake of an important season for them (not who they have appointed), where we just continue to tip toe around the elephant in the room!!
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:31]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:06 - May 24 with 1525 viewsBluefish

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:03 - May 24 by christiand

The voice of reason has spoken.........not!! However, missing the point spot on as usual Truce. The fact that Stoke City are decisive in their decision making was my point in the wake of an important season for them (not who they have appointed), where we just continue to tip toe around the elephant in the room!!

Keep up your negativity. You are doing a fine job as a supporter......much like Stoke

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:06 - May 24 with 1525 viewsblueislander

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:03 - May 24 by christiand

So it is more important to make a quick decision than a correct one?
Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:09 - May 24 with 1519 viewsBluefish

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:06 - May 24 by blueislander

This one complains about everything, a proper sky generation type fan.

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 10:18 - May 24 with 1500 viewsunstableblue

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 09:20 - May 24 by SWGF

Why wouldn't we bring in the "management team"?

We'll be looking to fill roles of DoF, manager, assistant manager, fitness coach and GK coach. Shouldn't be an issue, should it?

I think the point I was making to Phil, Joe and others is this.... he is clearly a full fat assistant manager, rather than assistant coach (which is often badged assistant manager). And Shrews fans were suggesting they get him to stay if Hurst leaves to start his stand alone career.

Doig does a lot of stand alone media - the examples being provided certainly did not.

I just feel we should be talking Hurst/Doig rather than just Hurst.

And in all the media I don't feel this has bee aired enough, and I do think it adds a tad more complexity - maybe not much - to the dealings

I could of course be talking out of my ear?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:37 - May 24 with 1474 viewschristiand

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:06 - May 24 by blueislander

At least be decisive in your convictions. ME has had 57 days to make his decision and act decisively for his next managerial target and still we are no closer to appointing. Who knows after 57+ days whether it will be the correct one?! Got my fingers crossed like everyone else it is, but the length of time this whole process is taking is a concern.

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:43 - May 24 with 1465 viewschristiand

Day 57 of the managerial search.... on 10:09 - May 24 by Bluefish

This one complains about everything, a proper sky generation type fan.

You still here Mrs McCarthy?

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:33 - May 24 with 1432 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 10:18 - May 24 by unstableblue

I think the point I was making to Phil, Joe and others is this.... he is clearly a full fat assistant manager, rather than assistant coach (which is often badged assistant manager). And Shrews fans were suggesting they get him to stay if Hurst leaves to start his stand alone career.

Doig does a lot of stand alone media - the examples being provided certainly did not.

I just feel we should be talking Hurst/Doig rather than just Hurst.

And in all the media I don't feel this has bee aired enough, and I do think it adds a tad more complexity - maybe not much - to the dealings

I could of course be talking out of my ear?!

I see your point and Doig may well have ambitions of his own longer term. However, it's worth noting that Rob Scott was Hurst's partner at Ilkeston, Boston and Grimsby, he was joint-manager, before he linked up with Doig. I'm not sure much should be read into Doig doing a lot of media stuff, some are more comfortable doing it than others and Chris Hutchings did it a fair bit here, as did John Gorman when Jim was at his most aloof.
Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:36 - May 24 with 1423 viewswkj

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:33 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

I see your point and Doig may well have ambitions of his own longer term. However, it's worth noting that Rob Scott was Hurst's partner at Ilkeston, Boston and Grimsby, he was joint-manager, before he linked up with Doig. I'm not sure much should be read into Doig doing a lot of media stuff, some are more comfortable doing it than others and Chris Hutchings did it a fair bit here, as did John Gorman when Jim was at his most aloof.

as do I get Marcus Stewart to do all my pressers on FM because that's boring

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:38 - May 24 with 1417 viewsBluefish

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:33 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

Leave Jim alone!!

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 12:15 - May 24 with 1370 viewsKieran_Knows

Joe - see my other thread... bit of a curve ball on 11:36 - May 24 by wkj

as do I get Marcus Stewart to do all my pressers on FM because that's boring

Indeed. Edgar Davids is great to send to my press conferences. Top bloke!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024