Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball 08:52 - May 24 with 3003 viewsunstableblue

Been on the Shrews fans boards... see below commentary around Ipswich rumours

Nice people who get along! Also don’t toe the ‘thought police’ line that Ipswich’s mick were ‘punching above our weight’ - no we were sh!t.

Generally the fans like Hurst and have a lot of respect for him. Working wonders. Think he’d help Ipswich.

I will tell you this... and it’s goes against the ‘thought police’ again - they DO NOT think they play particularly ‘vintage football’... and indeed many think they haven’t played well for months, including the Charlton games!! So why are people B-sh!tting on here?!?

Also the Lincoln loss at Wembley in the cup is seen as a Hurst negative as they just didn’t turn up.

But the curve ball in the research is this - this is a management team rather than just Hurst; Chris
Doig (sp?!) is pretty influential- and many hope he might takeover. Has Marcus factored the need to bring him in as well!!!!??

SHREWS FANS VIEWS:

“Living 10 miles from Ipswich and working with many Ipswich fans I've followed their slow decline closely. They are a club in decline. Attendances down to as low as 13k, bored fans, toxic atmosphere etc. Also got a chairman who is afraid or unable to invest so their season is usually over by Christmas. Too good to go down, nowhere near good or consistent enough to challenge promotion. In this context Hurst is exactly the kind of manager they need, able to work wonders on a budget”

“I'd echo stowmarket shrew too...plus we chatted about this during the journey today to the game!
Ipswich are in a real need for a team who'll work hard and hungry players looking to prove people wrong.
Limited budget but Hurst has shown what he can do and how to spend money wisely”

“It’s a minor miracle that we have managed to keep hold of Hurst this long. I really thought someone would have tried poaching him by now.
Hasselbaink was gone by December when Burton were in a similar position. “

“No good us losing sleep about whether Paul will stay or go. He has been a breath of fresh air at the Meadow and his achievements in such a short time without spending a lot of money are remarkable.

We would all love him to stay but if he does not you cannot do any more than wish him well and thank him very much.

I do hope this is not too big a distraction for him and Chris with the upcoming play offs. It could be argued he has not won anything and the Check a Trade final loss and missing out on automatics mean all our eggs are in one basket to have something tangible to show for our seasons efforts.

Either way Paul, Chris and all involved with this squad, have given us a fabulous season and I hope it continues, it has been far better than fighting the battle to avoid relegation. Thank you Paul, Chris et al”

Sadly if he goes, he goes and there is nothing we can do. It would be good to see him stay and build on this year but we can't blame him if he moves on. Perhaps we will offer Chris Doig a chance if he doesn't go as well.”

[Post edited 24 May 2018 8:55]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:00 - May 24 with 2872 viewsRadlett_blue

The point about backroom "teams" is well made. I think one of the biggest mistakes Evans made was to let Keane turn the club inside out & whoever we recruit should be allowed to bring in one trusted lieutenant, but no more.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:03 - May 24 with 2837 viewsIpswichKnight

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:00 - May 24 by Radlett_blue

The point about backroom "teams" is well made. I think one of the biggest mistakes Evans made was to let Keane turn the club inside out & whoever we recruit should be allowed to bring in one trusted lieutenant, but no more.

Isn't one of ME's rules that no one he bring in is allowed to touch the academy set up? Pretty sure Sherwood wanted to run everything and that's one of the reasons why it never went any further ( along with the massive negative reaction from the Town fans! )

We are going to need a new GK and fitness coach no reason why the new manager can't bring those with them if they wish.
Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:04 - May 24 with 2831 viewsunstableblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:00 - May 24 by Radlett_blue

Agree... but I think the point I’m making is that just saying ‘Paul Hurst’ and guesstimating whether we’ve managed to sound out him joining whilst he prepares for Wembley... is not sufficient. We are bringing on TWO people... that is if we are wanting a repeat of the success at Shrewsbury- which is the attraction.

Think a lot of people are not seeing the full picture here. It’s complex.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:06 - May 24 with 2805 viewshomer_123

They've described what we need as a Mick team there, rather well as well! LOL

"Ipswich are in a real need for a team who'll work hard and hungry players looking to prove people wrong.
Limited budget but Hurst has shown what he can do and how to spend money wisely"

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:07 - May 24 with 2773 viewspointofblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:04 - May 24 by unstableblue

Agree... but I think the point I’m making is that just saying ‘Paul Hurst’ and guesstimating whether we’ve managed to sound out him joining whilst he prepares for Wembley... is not sufficient. We are bringing on TWO people... that is if we are wanting a repeat of the success at Shrewsbury- which is the attraction.

I'm not sure, but are Hurst and Doig a duo, like McCarthy and Connor, or did Hurst just join him at Shrewbsury? Was Doig at Ilkeston and Grimsby with Hurst too?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:11 - May 24 with 2746 viewsunstableblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:06 - May 24 by homer_123

They've described what we need as a Mick team there, rather well as well! LOL

"Ipswich are in a real need for a team who'll work hard and hungry players looking to prove people wrong.
Limited budget but Hurst has shown what he can do and how to spend money wisely"

I know!!! I was thinking that exactly.

Beginning to have some concerns here.

Brian Klugg and the academy are basically producing very technical, on the floor, players who are often lightweight....

They need to move into a team with a certain philosophy in my view.

Not a repeat of Micks mentality.
We need to win by out smarting and out fighting!!

But on the positive they do really like Hurst!!

Doig came from Grimsby with Hurst... that’s the point on 09:15 - May 24 with 2698 viewsunstableblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:07 - May 24 by pointofblue

I'm not sure, but are Hurst and Doig a duo, like McCarthy and Connor, or did Hurst just join him at Shrewbsury? Was Doig at Ilkeston and Grimsby with Hurst too?

Lots of experts on here have missed the point...

Doig in fact often speaks to the media... and seems more front and centre that Micks side kick... who was more a coach than an assistant manager.

So we ask again - is Marcus bringing in both? You would assume so. But is there a risk Doig wants to start his own career?

We just don’t know and it’s just not been reported or considered enough.

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:16 - May 24 with 2679 viewsPhilTWTD

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:04 - May 24 by unstableblue

I don't think there'd be any issue with the assistant coming in, is standard that that happens, as per Mick and Terry, Paul Jewell and Chris Hutchings, Roy Keane and Tony Loughlin. Ross would have been joined by James Fowler here, as I assume he will be at Sunderland.

We also need a keeper-coach and a fitness-coach as well, of course, so Danny Coyne and Marc Lindsey may well join them here.
Login to get fewer ads

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:17 - May 24 with 2651 viewsKieran_Knows

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:16 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

I don't think there'd be any issue with the assistant coming in, is standard that that happens, as per Mick and Terry, Paul Jewell and Chris Hutchings, Roy Keane and Tony Loughlin. Ross would have been joined by James Fowler here, as I assume he will be at Sunderland.

We also need a keeper-coach and a fitness-coach as well, of course, so Danny Coyne and Marc Lindsey may well join them here.

Am I correct in saying that Paul Hurst is on a rolling 1 year contract?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:19 - May 24 with 2635 viewsPhilTWTD

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:17 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Am I correct in saying that Paul Hurst is on a rolling 1 year contract?

They've been less than forthcoming publicly on the terms of his deal from what I've read.
Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:39 - May 24 with 2510 viewsm14_blue

If you can show me a single post where anyone has aid Shrewsbury play 'vintage football' that would be great.

It's the old false dichotomy that everyone either plays like Mick or like Barcelona.

Of course watching Shrewsbury isn't like watching Man City, they have one of the smallest budgets in league 1 and were amongst the favourites to go down. They are hard working, organised and tough to beat.

However, they are also decent on the ball and generally play on the front foot.

I get that you don't want Hurst and he maybe wouldn't be my first choice, but not sure I understand why you're so dramatically opposed.

Who would you prefer?
Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:48 - May 24 with 2419 viewsitfcjoe

I'm certain that Evans will be aware of this - most managers will bring a small backroom team with them.

Manager and assistant are a pair, and both will be aware of that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I DO WANT HURST?!? on 09:50 - May 24 with 2398 viewsunstableblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:39 - May 24 by m14_blue

If you can show me a single post where anyone has aid Shrewsbury play 'vintage football' that would be great.

It's the old false dichotomy that everyone either plays like Mick or like Barcelona.

Of course watching Shrewsbury isn't like watching Man City, they have one of the smallest budgets in league 1 and were amongst the favourites to go down. They are hard working, organised and tough to beat.

However, they are also decent on the ball and generally play on the front foot.

I get that you don't want Hurst and he maybe wouldn't be my first choice, but not sure I understand why you're so dramatically opposed.

Who would you prefer?

But felt Ross was maybe a better fit.

I was sharing positive posts about Hurst.

The thread I referenced was about them ‘not’ playing vintage football; but as you say difficult on their budget.

I think Hurst plays much more on the front foot than Mick, in that want to get to the by line.

I am pointing out Hurst is actually part of a managemen team.

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:57 - May 24 with 2335 viewsunstableblue

Some Shrews fans comments Hurst and Ipswich ..... assistant manager curve ball on 09:16 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

Absolutely Phil. They’re always Management teams.

But of interest is the suggestion by 4 Shrews fans that they should persuade him to stay stand alone.

Also I don’t recall seeing this guy mentioned in any stories. As he is clearly much more senior in the set up than the likes of Terry, Hutchins and Loughlin. i.e. Multiple interviews, opinions, stories.

I’m sure you’d agree.

I DO WANT HURST?!? on 10:04 - May 24 with 2282 viewsm14_blue

I DO WANT HURST?!? on 09:50 - May 24 by unstableblue

But felt Ross was maybe a better fit.

I was sharing positive posts about Hurst.

The thread I referenced was about them ‘not’ playing vintage football; but as you say difficult on their budget.

I think Hurst plays much more on the front foot than Mick, in that want to get to the by line.

I am pointing out Hurst is actually part of a managemen team.

Fair enough, I obviously misread the tone.

I would agree with all of that.
Doig came from Grimsby with Hurst... that’s the point on 12:59 - May 24 with 1905 viewspointofblue

Doig came from Grimsby with Hurst... that’s the point on 09:15 - May 24 by unstableblue

Lots of experts on here have missed the point...

Doig in fact often speaks to the media... and seems more front and centre that Micks side kick... who was more a coach than an assistant manager.

So we ask again - is Marcus bringing in both? You would assume so. But is there a risk Doig wants to start his own career?

We just don’t know and it’s just not been reported or considered enough.

So was Doig Hurst's go to man when he was having success at Ilkeston and Grimsby too?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024