Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources 09:42 - May 24 with 2228 viewsStokieBlue

Pretty interesting concept from Musk here. Obviously unhappy at some media coverage (rightly or wrongly) he’s going to start a website where the public can rate the core truth of an article or source. No bots will be allowed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44233811

Spurred on by these comments he made:

"Problem is journos are under constant pressure to get max clicks & earn advertising dollars or get fired," Mr Musk tweeted.
"Tricky situation, as Tesla doesn’t advertise, but fossil fuel companies & gas/diesel car companies are among world’s biggest advertisers."

I’m think in general Musk really contributes and is driving innovation forward, however I know a few on here really don’t Musk at all. What are peoples thoughts on this new website?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:45 - May 24 with 2213 viewsKeno

So is he looking to sort out the crap Def Info in relation to the Town managers job?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:48 - May 24 with 2197 viewstcblue

Existential Comics (@existentialcoms) Tweeted:
It's becoming increasingly clear that Elon Musk is an intensely mediocre nerd who got his life philosophy from Rick and Morty, his political philosophy from South Park, and his business philosophy from that 80s guy with boneitis on Futurama.
Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:52 - May 24 with 2188 viewshomer_123

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:48 - May 24 by tcblue

Existential Comics (@existentialcoms) Tweeted:
It's becoming increasingly clear that Elon Musk is an intensely mediocre nerd who got his life philosophy from Rick and Morty, his political philosophy from South Park, and his business philosophy from that 80s guy with boneitis on Futurama.

And yet, he's doing alright isn't he?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:54 - May 24 with 2186 viewshomer_123

I agree, I think Musk contributes greatly, although he's clearly a business first - I can't fault what he's done with Tesla, battery storage, Space X etc. I really like HyperLoop etc.

He's investing where others won't (not can't but won't) and making things happen.

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:57 - May 24 with 2178 viewsStokieBlue

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:52 - May 24 by homer_123

And yet, he's doing alright isn't he?

SpaceX is certainly doing very well indeed. It's the tech company which now finds it easiest to raise funding through private investment.

In 2018 SpaceX has more than 60% of the global launch contracts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/spacex-leading-the-space-race-to-launch-humans-t

Tesla might not be doing as well but it was disruptive. It forced the major car companies to take electric vehicles seriously and has spurred them all on to produce much more environmentally friendly cars and better electric ranges.

SB

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:59 - May 24 with 2166 viewsSteve_M

"Problem is journos are under constant pressure to get max clicks & earn advertising dollars or get fired," Mr Musk tweeted.

He has also identified exactly why this won't work. One only has to look at automated bots on Twitter for example to see that weight of numbers doesn't equal accuracy or honesty.

As for Musk, well he's egotistical and driven. I'm not sure those traits make him a person I've any desire to spend time with but they do mean that he is likely to be successful in more things than he isn't. Which is good for society as a whole.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:00 - May 24 with 2165 viewschicoazul

No bots will be allowed

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The funny thing is that the Washington Post and others on 10:02 - May 24 with 2154 viewsunstableblue

.. have been doing something similar on Fox News and Trump protestations.

A database almost of falsehoods.

And yet when the publish latest totals it gets lambasted, despite it being the truth. I actually they are a very trustworthy outlet, just don't align with Trump's agenda.

I think what Musk may bring is an impartiality, a fresh name, a Wikipedia of sorts (albeit thats not always right!)

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:04 - May 24 with 2147 viewsNo9

I note he has registerd Pravda in Delaware - to avoid tax?
Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:08 - May 24 with 2141 viewsLankHenners

Musk is a big spoiled baby who doesn't like it when people see through the 'nice billionaire' facade he puts on. Creating a site where anyone can rate the 'truth' of something based on whether they like it or not (which, let's face it, is what's going to happen) is as Trumpesque as you can get.

His comments show up his naivety as whilst getting clicks is important, so is reporting the truth (which is his issue here as the truth is inconvenient for him). Reveal is non-profit anyway so to claim they're all about the money is stupid for one thing. And as for describing the them as "just some rich kids in Berkeley who took their political science prof too seriously" - wtf does that even mean (other than an obvious attempt to discredit them)?!

Good couple of Twitter threads by people who know more than me and can explain it better:

[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:09]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:09 - May 24 with 2133 viewsStokieBlue

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:04 - May 24 by No9

I note he has registerd Pravda in Delaware - to avoid tax?

Your first thought is always that someone has done something wrong.

I suspect many websites/companies are registered there. As for tax, it's a website to highlight fake news, it doesn't seem like something he would be running for a huge profit (he has SpaceX and his other companies for that).

Edit: That BBC article says it was incorporated in California.

SB
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:11]

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:23 - May 24 with 2104 viewsHurleyBurley

Interesting all round, especially the fact that the Beeb has allowed readers' comments on this one. Great reading.

Shame that Musk gives no indication of how this "rating of the core truth" will be done. Good luck to him though as there's nothing wrong with his idea in principle.

The first test will be how his "Pravda" ranks news reports of Tesla's failing to meet production targets.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:24 - May 24 with 2097 viewsJ2BLUE

Is the truth the truth or is mass opinion the truth?

I think it will see the most powerful and organised group on social media dictate what truth is regardless of accuracy.

The truth is irrelevant if the majority of people believe a lie.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:29 - May 24 with 2079 viewsHurleyBurley

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 09:59 - May 24 by Steve_M

He has also identified exactly why this won't work. One only has to look at automated bots on Twitter for example to see that weight of numbers doesn't equal accuracy or honesty.

As for Musk, well he's egotistical and driven. I'm not sure those traits make him a person I've any desire to spend time with but they do mean that he is likely to be successful in more things than he isn't. Which is good for society as a whole.

How do you know when a tweet or post is from an automated bot?

Everyone seems to accuse everyone else of "fake news", so is it all fake, or just the stuff that either side disagrees with?

It's a lovely idea of his, but like you say, it won't work.

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:33 - May 24 with 2074 viewshomer_123

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:24 - May 24 by J2BLUE

I think it will see the most powerful and organised group on social media dictate what truth is regardless of accuracy.

Perception is reality.

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:34 - May 24 with 2065 viewsNo9

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:09 - May 24 by StokieBlue

Your first thought is always that someone has done something wrong.

I suspect many websites/companies are registered there. As for tax, it's a website to highlight fake news, it doesn't seem like something he would be running for a huge profit (he has SpaceX and his other companies for that).

Edit: That BBC article says it was incorporated in California.

SB
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:11]

"The California Secretary of State’s website shows a Pravda Corp. was registered in October in Delaware. The filing agent and the address listed -- 216 Park Road, Burlingame, California -- are identical to the name and location used for at least two other Musk entities: brain-computer interface startup Neuralink Corp. and tunnel-digging company Boring Co."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-22/musk-s-stock-option-tweet-may

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musks-pravda-media-company-already-exists-1826271755

I never said he'd done anything wrong did I?
Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:36 - May 24 with 2063 viewsHurleyBurley

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:24 - May 24 by J2BLUE

Don't know why, but your post made me think of some great quotes attributed to Churchill about TRUTH.

This is one such quote, regardless of whether he actually said it:

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:37 - May 24 with 2053 viewsStokieBlue

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:29 - May 24 by HurleyBurley

How do you know when a tweet or post is from an automated bot?

Everyone seems to accuse everyone else of "fake news", so is it all fake, or just the stuff that either side disagrees with?

It's a lovely idea of his, but like you say, it won't work.

On the actual voting side there are ways to try and tell if something comes from a bot (apart from the obvious of not providing an API). For instance in this case if the voting is done via a click then the mouse movements on the site can be analysed and used to determine if a bot was controlling the mouse of a person (smooth movements vs erratic but still sensible human ones). Obviously it would only be a matter of time until a bot could be programmed to fool such a system though.

From a few years back:
https://www.wired.com/2014/12/google-one-click-recaptcha/

Things could be done but then everything can likely also be defeated by a determined enough group.

Obviously determining whether the initial article which is being voted upon was posted by a bot is outside the control of any such website.

SB

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:45 - May 24 with 2026 viewsitfcjoe

He's had some bad press and is in a sulk about it, it's not a good diea in my view. I think Nate Silver sums it up well.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 10:51 - May 24 with 2011 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's going to let the public rate the core truth of an article or source? Can't see that working.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 11:10 - May 24 with 1978 viewsFather_Jack

Snopes?

Less is more.

Musk to launch website to assess credibility of news stories and sources on 11:40 - May 24 with 1941 viewstcblue

Its all getting a bit weird. Zuckerberg also wants to have a hand in controlling the news.

I'm sure there's great intentions behind it, but this looks like a way to influence media in a different way than traditional means. But it'll still be influenced. Even if the credibility is crowd sourced, there's ability to influence.

Stick with saving the planet by sending a car into space (I'm just being facetious here, I understand there's showmanship required for his brand).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024