Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With hindsight and some supposition 10:08 - May 24 with 1219 viewsSWGF

It's looking like it was Hurst all along.

I find it highly unlikely that we have zero idea of whether Hurst is interested or not. I'd imagine that his representatives are fully aware of what the salary/package is, what the expectations are, what the budget will be and that we've received favourable responses in return.

Hurst and Evans may not have met face-to-face but you'd assume Evans has done enough due diligence/digging around to have a fair idea that Hurst is someone he can get on with. You'd think Hurst would have done the same.

The initial deadline always pointed to the first choice being someone potentially being involved in the Play Offs. Had that particular team failed to reach the final, I'm sure a decision would have been made before now. As it is, I'd expect it to be within the next week. Get Sunday out of the way, celebrations completed and then to business.

Saying all that, the chap from Taiwan will probably wander through the door on 1st June.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:16 - May 24 with 1180 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What you say might be right, and ME may of had an indication that Hurst is interested.

However, we shouldn't be fooled that we will be the only team interested in Hurst, nor that we will be the most attractive option.

There is still the chance that this could all blow up in our faces, that said, I'd be happy with Parker, but would have concerns, with no track record, that he would struggle with no budget.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:16 - May 24 with 1177 viewsLankHenners

You'd really like to think we have at least some indication that Hurst is keen or we'll really have shot ourselves in the foot. I think ME wanted this to be sorted by now but agree he had to say 'late May/Early June' to account for Hurst being occupied until then.

Still not totally convinced that Hurst has necessarily been no. 1 choice all along, although has certainly been seen, alongside Ross, as one of the top 2 options who I'm sure Evans' wishes he could have talked to at a similar time so he had a decision to make (rather than Sunderland making it for him). Would also have meant Ross wasn't made to feel like he's not really wanted as he's got to wait around for Evans to speak to another bloke in case he likes him better.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:22 - May 24 with 1146 viewsKieran_Knows

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:16 - May 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

What you say might be right, and ME may of had an indication that Hurst is interested.

However, we shouldn't be fooled that we will be the only team interested in Hurst, nor that we will be the most attractive option.

There is still the chance that this could all blow up in our faces, that said, I'd be happy with Parker, but would have concerns, with no track record, that he would struggle with no budget.

'However, we shouldn't be fooled that we will be the only team interested in Hurst, nor that we will be the most attractive option.'

Exactly this.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:33 - May 24 with 1112 viewsSWGF

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:16 - May 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

I wouldn't be surprised that there isn't a provisional agreement in place. Who is going to be in for Hurst? Leeds/Derby/Swansea will be looking higher up the food chain, I'm sure. Their targets seem to be out of work or at teams which wouldn't have a knock-on effect (Potter, Stam, MM, Lampard, Pearson, O'Neill).

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:39 - May 24 with 1083 viewsCheltenham_Blue

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:33 - May 24 by SWGF

I wouldn't be surprised that there isn't a provisional agreement in place. Who is going to be in for Hurst? Leeds/Derby/Swansea will be looking higher up the food chain, I'm sure. Their targets seem to be out of work or at teams which wouldn't have a knock-on effect (Potter, Stam, MM, Lampard, Pearson, O'Neill).

None of us has the first clue who any of their targets are. Are you honestly suggesting that one of the brightest managerial talents outside the Premier League and we are the only ones who are interested?

If we have an agreement in place I have no idea how we've managed to keep that secret considering PR, and football in general, has more leaks than the water board.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:47 - May 24 with 1046 viewsSWGF

With hindsight and some supposition on 10:39 - May 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

None of us has the first clue who any of their targets are. Are you honestly suggesting that one of the brightest managerial talents outside the Premier League and we are the only ones who are interested?

If we have an agreement in place I have no idea how we've managed to keep that secret considering PR, and football in general, has more leaks than the water board.

Of the clubs that are currently, actively looking for a manager, I'd say that they would be looking for a higher profile than Hurst.

Just my opinion, obviously.

With hindsight and some supposition on 11:10 - May 24 with 981 viewsjpr_23

When you think back to the Keane appointment which was clearly all in place before Jim got his marching orders, Evans has form for knowing what he wants (regardless of how wrong he was, and how bad a fit Keane was for the club). Sacking someone after beating Norwich looked odd until you realised Keane was waiting in the wings and it made no sense to have Norwich as your first game. Evans had done all of the deal behind closed doors and just announced it a few days after sacking Jim.

It appears now that he has had Hurst in mind for some time. There have clearly been tactical leaks to determine the fans reaction, and the fans have solidly been in favour of a young manager rather then someone on the merry-go-round. Having Ross as a back up to support the negotiations with Hurst would have been nice, but it appears that Hurst now has a strong platform to drive for a good deal. Hopefully, Hurst will push for a bigger transfer budget...

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024