Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland 08:40 - May 25 with 2012 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The whole situation there reminds me of Rangers a few years ago.

Some chancer with no money (by footballing standards) buys a crisis club for next to nothing, and no one knows who his backers are.

Starts making big statements in the media which he struggles to back up.

All seems a little amateur.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sunderland on 08:50 - May 25 with 1962 viewsSuperblue95

If Sunderland don't get promoted at the first attempt next season then they could be looking at a long stay struggling around that division

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Sunderland on 08:50 - May 25 with 1963 viewsJohnny_Boy

I agree with your sentiments, but the only thing that reinforces your 'chancer buys club cheap' is the lack of famous ex player managerial appointment. This would have ticked ALL the boxes to bring Lampard in to cut his managerial teeth.

I've read articles about the deep doo-doo of Sunderland's debt. The owners 3yr plan of getting back into the top flight, so very little margin of error to escape L1 & Championship. So with that all in mind, you'd have thought a more experienced manager in English footy (with multiple promotions) would have been drafted in to achieve this.

Ross isn't that man. So theoretically, Lampard would be in the same ball-park here.

*Im sure Ross will do a perfectly good job there - as I think he'd have done here - if I'm being honest.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 8:52]
Sunderland on 09:26 - May 25 with 1869 viewsBasuco

Sunderland on 08:50 - May 25 by Johnny_Boy

I agree with your sentiments, but the only thing that reinforces your 'chancer buys club cheap' is the lack of famous ex player managerial appointment. This would have ticked ALL the boxes to bring Lampard in to cut his managerial teeth.

I've read articles about the deep doo-doo of Sunderland's debt. The owners 3yr plan of getting back into the top flight, so very little margin of error to escape L1 & Championship. So with that all in mind, you'd have thought a more experienced manager in English footy (with multiple promotions) would have been drafted in to achieve this.

Ross isn't that man. So theoretically, Lampard would be in the same ball-park here.

*Im sure Ross will do a perfectly good job there - as I think he'd have done here - if I'm being honest.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 8:52]

I thought that the writing off of the debt was part of the takeover, but these things often not as clear cut as that.
Sunderland on 10:19 - May 25 with 1799 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sunderland on 09:26 - May 25 by Basuco

I thought that the writing off of the debt was part of the takeover, but these things often not as clear cut as that.

My understanding is, Ellis Short is owed the 3yrs of parachute payments & the new owner has to pay him back in instalments - this on top of the £40m he originally purchased the club for.

So for what it's worth, the only assets at their disposal for squad acquisitions are player transfers, sponsorship, merch & gate receipts.

Which 'should' be enough to get out of L1 - but The Championship is a different ball game. 3yrs to achieve top flight status leaves very little room for mistakes.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 10:28]
Sunderland on 10:23 - May 25 with 1775 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Sunderland on 10:29 - May 25 with 1759 viewspointofblue

Sunderland on 10:23 - May 25 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

The guy obviously lacks morals and doesn’t hold much respect for St Mirren considering how he acted - if he can do it to them he can do it to any club.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sunderland on 10:36 - May 25 with 1746 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sunderland on 10:29 - May 25 by pointofblue

The guy obviously lacks morals and doesn’t hold much respect for St Mirren considering how he acted - if he can do it to them he can do it to any club.

In defence of Ross, we don't know for sure if this was his Agent's dealing - or the new Owner forcing the issue ahead with his publicity drive on Talksport.

This hasn't done Ross any favours with the St Mirren or Ipswich fans - and let's not forget Sunderland HADN'T officially asked St Mirren for permission when the rumours were in overload. I'd have thought Ross would have been mortified how it's all been played out....ergo, I think he was stitched-up a bit.

Of course, if that was the case he should tell Sunderland to do one.
He won't. And who could honestly blame him really.
Sunderland on 10:44 - May 25 with 1726 viewsatomuk

Sunderland on 10:19 - May 25 by Johnny_Boy

My understanding is, Ellis Short is owed the 3yrs of parachute payments & the new owner has to pay him back in instalments - this on top of the £40m he originally purchased the club for.

So for what it's worth, the only assets at their disposal for squad acquisitions are player transfers, sponsorship, merch & gate receipts.

Which 'should' be enough to get out of L1 - but The Championship is a different ball game. 3yrs to achieve top flight status leaves very little room for mistakes.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 10:28]

Your understanding is a bit off, Donald paid £40m for the club and Short agreed to wipe the debt and accept the payment in installments so they could concentrate on the investment that needed to be made into the club this summer. The parachute payments do not go to Short - unless Donald and co. fail to pay. There are other investors waiting in the wings too, they were just left out of the initial deal to get the takeover done asap, as there is a lot of rebuilding to do.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland on 10:45 - May 25 with 1716 viewswkj

I have the feeling the new owner is in way over their head, I don't like seeing clubs going through what Portsmouth did, but it does make me appreciate the situation Marcus Evans is in a little more

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Sunderland on 10:52 - May 25 with 1701 viewsOldsmoker

Sunderland on 10:36 - May 25 by Johnny_Boy

In defence of Ross, we don't know for sure if this was his Agent's dealing - or the new Owner forcing the issue ahead with his publicity drive on Talksport.

This hasn't done Ross any favours with the St Mirren or Ipswich fans - and let's not forget Sunderland HADN'T officially asked St Mirren for permission when the rumours were in overload. I'd have thought Ross would have been mortified how it's all been played out....ergo, I think he was stitched-up a bit.

Of course, if that was the case he should tell Sunderland to do one.
He won't. And who could honestly blame him really.

The Football authorities have a history of being useless in ensuring their rules are followed.
Clubs "do the dirty" and then get told off resulting in the club being in a better position than if they'd followed the rules.
West Ham/Tevez/Sheff Utd springs to mind.
The QPR FFP nonsense is the only one I can think of that stuck.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Sunderland on 10:55 - May 25 with 1683 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sunderland on 10:44 - May 25 by atomuk

Your understanding is a bit off, Donald paid £40m for the club and Short agreed to wipe the debt and accept the payment in installments so they could concentrate on the investment that needed to be made into the club this summer. The parachute payments do not go to Short - unless Donald and co. fail to pay. There are other investors waiting in the wings too, they were just left out of the initial deal to get the takeover done asap, as there is a lot of rebuilding to do.

Ah yes. Article in the Sun suggests that. It also suggests Donald has only put £5m upfront!
Sunderland on 10:57 - May 25 with 1669 viewsatomuk

Sunderland on 10:55 - May 25 by Johnny_Boy

Ah yes. Article in the Sun suggests that. It also suggests Donald has only put £5m upfront!

All the article in the Sun says is that Donald made his first payment on the installments on time, it's a non-story. The journalist who wrote it even said so on Twitter. Donald had to show £50m to the EFL as part of the approval process.
Sunderland on 11:01 - May 25 with 1648 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sunderland on 10:57 - May 25 by atomuk

All the article in the Sun says is that Donald made his first payment on the installments on time, it's a non-story. The journalist who wrote it even said so on Twitter. Donald had to show £50m to the EFL as part of the approval process.

But the article suggests he's only worth £8m. Infact, it's his own words. He jokes about it.
You think Ellis 'deposited' £42m into his bank for a short period of time in order to appease the EFL?
Sunderland on 11:03 - May 25 with 1643 viewsatomuk

Sunderland on 11:01 - May 25 by Johnny_Boy

But the article suggests he's only worth £8m. Infact, it's his own words. He jokes about it.
You think Ellis 'deposited' £42m into his bank for a short period of time in order to appease the EFL?

He put over £10m of his own money into Eastleigh, pretty hard to do if he's only worth £8m but if he was only worth £8m then it would mean he's down to his last £3m. Seems a bit unlikely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024