Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 14:57 - May 25 with 4814 viewsSteve_M

Cracking stuff from England today. Aside from the hour before lunch it's been uninspiring.

Currently 350/3 at close doesn't look out of the question.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket on 15:06 - May 25 with 4777 viewsHurleyBurley

Agreed. It makes painful viewing but there's something about P<kistan that always gives you hope even when they're well on top - so it never feels as awful as it would be with most other teams.

I predict 298/7 by the end of play.

EDIT: One more down. 203/4
[Post edited 25 May 2018 15:10]

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Cricket on 15:12 - May 25 with 4761 viewschristiand

Currently, England look a poor side in both departments in test matches. We don't score enough runs, our batsmen get out cheaply and our bowlers don't even look close to getting 20 wickets in a test match and haven't for some time. Pakistan who are ranked 7th in the world are looking a more accomplished unit all round, which is a concern.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Cricket on 15:41 - May 25 with 4729 viewsSteve_M

Well, it looks a bit better 40 minutes later. Stokes very good in that time.

Could still see England bat today I suppose.

Cricket on 18:39 - May 25 with 4638 viewsEastTownBlue

The 350 bit is spot on. Regardless of the number of wickets England have it all to do.
Cricket on 20:12 - May 25 with 4584 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket on 15:12 - May 25 by christiand

Currently, England look a poor side in both departments in test matches. We don't score enough runs, our batsmen get out cheaply and our bowlers don't even look close to getting 20 wickets in a test match and haven't for some time. Pakistan who are ranked 7th in the world are looking a more accomplished unit all round, which is a concern.

England's problems have been there for while & appear to be getting worse:
STILL no viable opener to partner Alistair Cook - now nearly 6 years since Strauss retired.
A vulnerable middle order. Apart from Root & Bairstow, no-one else has established himself as a proper Test batsman.
The attack is led by 2 ageing bowlers, who are both in decline. However, no-one has shown himself to be demonstrably better.
No Test class spinner since Swann retired over 4 years ago.
Stokes is the only light on the horizon - worth his place as either a batsman or bowler.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket on 20:48 - May 25 with 4544 viewschristiand

Cricket on 20:12 - May 25 by Radlett_blue

STILL no viable opener to partner Alistair Cook - now nearly 6 years since Strauss retired.
A vulnerable middle order. Apart from Root & Bairstow, no-one else has established himself as a proper Test batsman.
The attack is led by 2 ageing bowlers, who are both in decline. However, no-one has shown himself to be demonstrably better.
Stokes is the only light on the horizon - worth his place as either a batsman or bowler.

Agree 100% Radlett Blue!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

good day's cricket on 21:04 - May 25 with 4535 viewsDyland

Cricket on 15:41 - May 25 by Steve_M

Well, it looks a bit better 40 minutes later. Stokes very good in that time.

Could still see England bat today I suppose.

First time in yonks it feels there's been uninterrupted play when it's been pleasantly warm all the way through as opposed to chilly or boiling.

Still can't get over some of the batting yesterday. Feeble. Root e.g looked like there was scoreboard pressure when he swiped his one on, er, the first morning... ffs

First visit of the year to HQ though, so whatever. Aaahhh :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cricket on 21:07 - May 25 with 4525 viewsTownly

I'm yet to be convinced of Joe Root's captaincy.

Perhaps he's too likeable.

The fielding has become sloppy on frequent occasions, especially near the bat.
Joe's run getting seems to have suffered a bit and he no longer seems the cast iron certainty that he once was for a high score in most of his innings.
The decisions on appeals are often flawed.

He often does not seem quite aggressive or innovative enough with the use of his bowlers, whilst the batsmen continue to suffer from 20/20 syndrome.

We have slipped down the world rankings since he took over.

All these factors are, to a greater or lesser extent, the captain's job to address and although the players around him are, of course, not blameless the buck stops with Joe, especially on the field of play.

No doubt he'll come good as he seems the obvious choice. Let's hope he comes of age in the role as the summer unfolds and in good time for the Ashes.
Login to get fewer ads

good day's cricket on 23:03 - May 25 with 4442 viewsSteve_M

good day's cricket on 21:04 - May 25 by Dyland

First time in yonks it feels there's been uninterrupted play when it's been pleasantly warm all the way through as opposed to chilly or boiling.

Still can't get over some of the batting yesterday. Feeble. Root e.g looked like there was scoreboard pressure when he swiped his one on, er, the first morning... ffs

First visit of the year to HQ though, so whatever. Aaahhh :)

Yes, was a decent day's play but yesterday's failure hung over it. England needed to be brilliant to make up for it but they rarely got above average.

Cricket on 23:06 - May 25 with 4438 viewsSteve_M

Cricket on 20:12 - May 25 by Radlett_blue

Bright spells from both Stokes and Wood today, both need to do that consistently now though.

We had the same discussion today re: England. Very average and only two players of genuine Test ability we can expect to see in three years.

Cricket on 08:35 - May 26 with 4336 viewsfergalsharkey

To be fair our bowling attack has the cutting edge of a fish and our batsmen think every day is a 20/20.

Utter shambles.

Poll: Cook out?

Cricket on 08:43 - May 26 with 4333 viewsAce_High1

I think there is a lack of intensity and am starting to wonder what Bayliss is adding to the test team.

The whole batting approach is not a skills issue. We don't have anyone better than the ones playing (look at County cricket for that). But its application, apart from Cook the others just don't seem able to assess the situation and know when to knuckle down and bat time. Even Root has lost that ability and looks a walking wicket. Day 1 of the test and he is flashing outside the off stump like we need 4 to win off the last ball of the match of a one day game.

The Bowling is different. I would say this is where we do lack certain skills. Anderson and Broad are getting older and less reliable. They are still worth a place as again no one better but the third and fourth (consider Stokes as a shoe in as the all rounder) need to be better and have an edge.

Wood for me is not good/fit enough. Too early to judge the young spinner but lets be honest we don't have any quality in that department whoever we play. Woakes etc are too similar to Anderson and Broad so its really those back up seamer positions where we need to find the next big thing. I really think they have mishandled Steven Finn over the last 3 years. The guy was a wicket taker, look how quickly he got to 100 test wickets but they never seemed to trust him and he never had a regular run in the side to get confidence. He only seemed to play when others were injured and then they started messing around with his run up.

Its a concern as the current performances/results are reminding me of the early 2000's (pre 2004)!!
Cricket on 08:48 - May 26 with 4326 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket on 08:43 - May 26 by Ace_High1

I think there is a lack of intensity and am starting to wonder what Bayliss is adding to the test team.

The whole batting approach is not a skills issue. We don't have anyone better than the ones playing (look at County cricket for that). But its application, apart from Cook the others just don't seem able to assess the situation and know when to knuckle down and bat time. Even Root has lost that ability and looks a walking wicket. Day 1 of the test and he is flashing outside the off stump like we need 4 to win off the last ball of the match of a one day game.

The Bowling is different. I would say this is where we do lack certain skills. Anderson and Broad are getting older and less reliable. They are still worth a place as again no one better but the third and fourth (consider Stokes as a shoe in as the all rounder) need to be better and have an edge.

Wood for me is not good/fit enough. Too early to judge the young spinner but lets be honest we don't have any quality in that department whoever we play. Woakes etc are too similar to Anderson and Broad so its really those back up seamer positions where we need to find the next big thing. I really think they have mishandled Steven Finn over the last 3 years. The guy was a wicket taker, look how quickly he got to 100 test wickets but they never seemed to trust him and he never had a regular run in the side to get confidence. He only seemed to play when others were injured and then they started messing around with his run up.

Its a concern as the current performances/results are reminding me of the early 2000's (pre 2004)!!

We look a fairly weak side at the moment in red ball cricket. A home test in May is usually cannon fodder for us but we are being owned by Pakistan at the moment who seemed to instantly know where to bowl and got their lengths spot on. It's concerning that most of the side seem to be playing for their places.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket on 08:58 - May 26 with 4314 viewsAce_High1

Cricket on 08:48 - May 26 by gainsboroughblue

We look a fairly weak side at the moment in red ball cricket. A home test in May is usually cannon fodder for us but we are being owned by Pakistan at the moment who seemed to instantly know where to bowl and got their lengths spot on. It's concerning that most of the side seem to be playing for their places.

But are they playing for their places? Who is going to replace them?

If you look at the players who are secure in current side - Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Anderson, Broad all made their debuts years ago. How many players have been successfully integrated into he team in the last 3 years and stayed in? We bring people in, they don't sustain any success and we replace them. That is a concern because it looks like the over all talent pool is much less than it was even 5 years ago when we reached Number 1.

I remember around 5 years ago that we had a real strength of doing just that finding the next cab off the rank and them fitting straight in and becoming a regular. Remember Trott for that last Ashes test and he was a fixture for the next 4 years.
Cricket on 09:11 - May 26 with 4302 viewssohamblue74

Was at Lords on Friday with my Dad. Enjoyed the day as always but am worried about the England test side. Coach and captain lacking focus and form. Batting and bowling look to have no strength in depth. Not sure it is worth such a decline in our Test cricket standards when there is no guarantee of winning the ODI world cup next Summer. Could all change again at Headingley next week give our inconsistency and occasional great Test wins under Bayliss.
Cricket on 09:52 - May 26 with 4264 viewsAce_High1

Cricket on 09:11 - May 26 by sohamblue74

Was at Lords on Friday with my Dad. Enjoyed the day as always but am worried about the England test side. Coach and captain lacking focus and form. Batting and bowling look to have no strength in depth. Not sure it is worth such a decline in our Test cricket standards when there is no guarantee of winning the ODI world cup next Summer. Could all change again at Headingley next week give our inconsistency and occasional great Test wins under Bayliss.

I would rather have a good, winning test side than win the ODI World Cup which does nothing for me. 50 over cricket I think is a waste of time.

If you want proper cricket - Test Cricket.

If you want a short game for some enterainment - T20.

50 Overs is stuck in the middle offering a a few overs (first and last 10 overs = 20 overs - sound familiar!) of entertainment and then a pointless middle period of average bowlers and batsmen knocking it around at 5 an over.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 9:53]
Cricket on 10:25 - May 26 with 4240 viewsSteve_M

Cricket on 09:52 - May 26 by Ace_High1

I would rather have a good, winning test side than win the ODI World Cup which does nothing for me. 50 over cricket I think is a waste of time.

If you want proper cricket - Test Cricket.

If you want a short game for some enterainment - T20.

50 Overs is stuck in the middle offering a a few overs (first and last 10 overs = 20 overs - sound familiar!) of entertainment and then a pointless middle period of average bowlers and batsmen knocking it around at 5 an over.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 9:53]

I think it's very clear that the ECB have prioritised one day cricket which as an idea has some merit because that's where a lot of money is for the players, especially the IPL. However, it really needn't have been to the detriment of the Test side to this extent.

I think we will need a different coaching structure going forwards as the Test issues are becoming chronic now, no-one has been good enough to cement a role but the constant changes don't help.

I disagree on the 50 over stuff though, think it's more tactical than T20 and offers chances to redeem early failures that the shorter format doesn't. The 100 can do one though.

Cricket on 21:58 - May 26 with 4169 viewsHennikerBlu

Cricket on 08:58 - May 26 by Ace_High1

If you look at the players who are secure in current side - Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Anderson, Broad all made their debuts years ago. How many players have been successfully integrated into he team in the last 3 years and stayed in? We bring people in, they don't sustain any success and we replace them. That is a concern because it looks like the over all talent pool is much less than it was even 5 years ago when we reached Number 1.

I remember around 5 years ago that we had a real strength of doing just that finding the next cab off the rank and them fitting straight in and becoming a regular. Remember Trott for that last Ashes test and he was a fixture for the next 4 years.

Good points, I caught a bit of TV, between channel hopping, hearing a chap talking about how hard it is to recruit young players as there is so little interest in the game in the UK at the moment.

Where do you start, is it schools, is it lack of free TV coverage? Though good to see C4 get the highlights back. I remember working in London in 2005 and the interest was huge with the pubs packed in the City at lunch time and you could hear the cheers. Yet we have IPL which is massive in parts of the world. We need to look at this in the UK.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 21:58]
Cricket on 22:13 - May 26 with 4156 viewsconnorscontract

Cricket on 08:43 - May 26 by Ace_High1

In the Ashes, on concrete pitches, Jimmy "83mph" Anderson was given the new ball EVERY FCKING TIME.

On Day One of this Test it was the same story, then Wood came on and bowled at over 90mph with the older ball.

FFS. Anderson is over-indulged. Your fastest bowler should be given the new ball unless there is a very good reason not to. And a medium-fast swing bowler should not have a new Kookaburra wasted on him on a bouncy track in Oz.
Cricket on 22:16 - May 26 with 4149 viewsconnorscontract

Cricket on 22:13 - May 26 by connorscontract

In the Ashes, on concrete pitches, Jimmy "83mph" Anderson was given the new ball EVERY FCKING TIME.

On Day One of this Test it was the same story, then Wood came on and bowled at over 90mph with the older ball.

FFS. Anderson is over-indulged. Your fastest bowler should be given the new ball unless there is a very good reason not to. And a medium-fast swing bowler should not have a new Kookaburra wasted on him on a bouncy track in Oz.

Oh, and the reason England's best batsman still isn't playing is because of the way Anderson and Broad ran the dressing room. And everyone, including the Great British Public sided with them.

If Hoggard had been treated anywhere near as well as Anderson, he'd be the one with all the records. He was discarded for not being quick enough, despite having amazing stats and NEVER having the advantage of the new ball.
Cricket on 22:26 - May 26 with 4137 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket on 10:25 - May 26 by Steve_M

I think it's very clear that the ECB have prioritised one day cricket which as an idea has some merit because that's where a lot of money is for the players, especially the IPL. However, it really needn't have been to the detriment of the Test side to this extent.

I think we will need a different coaching structure going forwards as the Test issues are becoming chronic now, no-one has been good enough to cement a role but the constant changes don't help.

I disagree on the 50 over stuff though, think it's more tactical than T20 and offers chances to redeem early failures that the shorter format doesn't. The 100 can do one though.

I used to hate watching ODI’s but since England have started to get good st it it’s been a lot more watchable.

The champions trophy last summer was superb.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket on 08:41 - May 27 with 4036 viewsAce_High1

Cricket on 22:16 - May 26 by connorscontract

Oh, and the reason England's best batsman still isn't playing is because of the way Anderson and Broad ran the dressing room. And everyone, including the Great British Public sided with them.

If Hoggard had been treated anywhere near as well as Anderson, he'd be the one with all the records. He was discarded for not being quick enough, despite having amazing stats and NEVER having the advantage of the new ball.

Anderson is world class, look at his record. Yes he is nearing the end but its not like we have the likes of Cummins, Stars and Hazlewood waiting in the wings is it? We don't even have a regular third seamer nailing down a place so not sure Broad and Anderson are the problem.

I love KP but don't think you can just blame SB and JA for his omission. He certainly would have improved the batting over the last 4 years though.
Cricket on 08:50 - May 27 with 4031 viewssolemio

Cricket on 08:41 - May 27 by Ace_High1

Anderson is world class, look at his record. Yes he is nearing the end but its not like we have the likes of Cummins, Stars and Hazlewood waiting in the wings is it? We don't even have a regular third seamer nailing down a place so not sure Broad and Anderson are the problem.

I love KP but don't think you can just blame SB and JA for his omission. He certainly would have improved the batting over the last 4 years though.

To be truthful KP alienated every dressing room he was in.
Cricket on 09:56 - May 27 with 4006 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket on 08:58 - May 26 by Ace_High1

I agree there. I said they are playing for their places in the sense that several of them are on borrowed time to show they are test quality. But the cupboard is so pretty bare in terms of who can, and will, come in instead.

I'm very surprised James Hildreth has never got a game to be honest.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024