Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
" His Style creates goals" 15:52 - May 25 with 3272 viewsFrimleyBlue

I saw a thread but can't see it about high scoring Shrews games etc

But, having looked at it. They scored only 17 home goals in 17 league games since January

And over the season, over 80% of games ended with less than 3 goals in the game.

Now, of course results are important. But are these figures something positive to look forward to or wary as the championship is harder and shows that the style of football is based around being hard to beat... they were the 2nd best defence in the league

interesting Oldham scored 2 goals less in the season and got relegated.

Genuinely looking to start a discussion. As lots of people have posted about positive style and entertainment etc. BUT for me, if he does similar here. It's not going to win the fans. as Mick gave us results without entertainment. IMO.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

" His Style creates goals" on 16:27 - May 25 with 3199 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

This reminds me of tall handsome man from yorkshire who looks much older than he actually is.

Also plays awful football and sets up for a draw at home.

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

" His Style creates goals" on 16:31 - May 25 with 3191 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems people just believe whatever they want. If they like the sound of him then he plays good football. If they don't then he's Mick mark 2.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

" His Style creates goals" on 16:31 - May 25 with 3184 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 16:27 - May 25 by SimonCleggsNeck

This reminds me of tall handsome man from yorkshire who looks much older than he actually is.

Also plays awful football and sets up for a draw at home.

I just keep being moaned as I don't see a difference in Hurst to Mick. But it's interesting no one has responded to my post about their goal scoring figures and consequent goals/game ratio

I just don't see how Hurst is any different to Mick? Talks like him, sets sides up like him ( Focus on hard to beat)
What is different and what makes him different when Evans speaks over doing something different?

I hope i'm wrong. BUT results wasn't what drove fans away, it was the lack of entertainment, and I can't see how 17 home goals in 5 months is going in a new direction.

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 16:33 - May 25 with 3175 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

" His Style creates goals" on 16:31 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

I just keep being moaned as I don't see a difference in Hurst to Mick. But it's interesting no one has responded to my post about their goal scoring figures and consequent goals/game ratio

I just don't see how Hurst is any different to Mick? Talks like him, sets sides up like him ( Focus on hard to beat)
What is different and what makes him different when Evans speaks over doing something different?

I hope i'm wrong. BUT results wasn't what drove fans away, it was the lack of entertainment, and I can't see how 17 home goals in 5 months is going in a new direction.

agreed.

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

" His Style creates goals" on 16:33 - May 25 with 3173 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 16:31 - May 25 by J2BLUE

It seems people just believe whatever they want. If they like the sound of him then he plays good football. If they don't then he's Mick mark 2.

I'm just going on what I've seen and read.

As my previous reply reads. I can't see anything different in these results that will end up making Hurst the manager we need. It's a tougher league, He'll be setting up to minimise goals and we know how that can change the overall impact we can have on the league by doing so.

I just think it'll end in tears with Hurst. Not because of him, I think he will be a good manager somewhere. but not for us

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 16:36 - May 25 with 3151 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

" His Style creates goals" on 16:33 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

As my previous reply reads. I can't see anything different in these results that will end up making Hurst the manager we need. It's a tougher league, He'll be setting up to minimise goals and we know how that can change the overall impact we can have on the league by doing so.

I just think it'll end in tears with Hurst. Not because of him, I think he will be a good manager somewhere. but not for us

Scott Parker the one for me. Been a leader at every club he's been to. Highly regarded at Spurs. Definitely a different approach than normal.

No experience but managers have to start somewhere.

" His Style creates goals" on 16:40 - May 25 with 3139 viewsHerbivore

They don't play like a Mick side. Yes they are hard working and well organised but so are all successful teams. What they also do is play the ball on the ground and try to play the game on the front foot. Players have freedom to express themselves, especially the midfield and wide players. What they lack though is genuine quality in the final third to kill games off, that happens when you inherit a side in the relegation zone and don't have the resources to sign quality attacking players.

We get it, you've looked at their goal scoring stats and jumped to a particular conclusion and you don't want him here. Most of us can see the qualities he has as a manager and would be happy to see him here, get over it. You're probably not going to convince many people that you're right no matter how many threads you start.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

" His Style creates goals" on 16:43 - May 25 with 3122 viewsSwansea_Blue

They're not the best stats in the world, for sure. Hard to judge without context though. People would take that if it meant we reached a PO Final, I'm pretty sure about that as it's been proven here in our PO season with Mick (where we were poor after Xmas).

But if someone comes in and sets up with a focus on defensive shape without the ball and starts grinding out draws, I think ME will be quite surprised at how quickly the fan mood will turn sour.

Thinking as I type, I almost feel a bit sorry for whoever comes in. The last 2 years of Mick has largely exhausted fans' patience, so unless there are large, positive changes the newcomer will be on a hiding to nothing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

" His Style creates goals" on 16:45 - May 25 with 3115 viewsJ2BLUE

" His Style creates goals" on 16:33 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

IF we're ever going to go up in our current situation then he's precisely the sort of manager we need. We're never going to be able to play great football and compete with the big guns. If Hurst's teams play a bit more football and set out to win every game then he could be an upgraded MM.

In all honesty Ross was the exciting target but perhaps not the best target for our current situation, as much as I don't want to admit it.

I'm quite relaxed about it now. I assume we'll get Hurst, Parker or Lampard. Any of them are ok with me.

Truly impaired.

" His Style creates goals" on 16:46 - May 25 with 3109 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 16:40 - May 25 by Herbivore

They don't play like a Mick side. Yes they are hard working and well organised but so are all successful teams. What they also do is play the ball on the ground and try to play the game on the front foot. Players have freedom to express themselves, especially the midfield and wide players. What they lack though is genuine quality in the final third to kill games off, that happens when you inherit a side in the relegation zone and don't have the resources to sign quality attacking players.

We get it, you've looked at their goal scoring stats and jumped to a particular conclusion and you don't want him here. Most of us can see the qualities he has as a manager and would be happy to see him here, get over it. You're probably not going to convince many people that you're right no matter how many threads you start.

Don't need to try and be right. I don't hire our next manager.

Forum for discussions Herbi. I get it you want him. You want to convince everyone you're right.

What's the particular conclusion? The Club has lost thousands of fans. Would we win them back by scoring so few goals again? no.

Just so you're aware. We too played football on many occasions. But struggled to kill games off, that's what happens when you inherit a side with a lower budget than most other teams in the Championship without the resources to sign quality attacking players

So my point again. What's going to be different?

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 16:48 - May 25 with 3101 viewsIvanCampo

I'd like to think that is also down to the quality of Shrewbury's strikers and if PH had Waghorn and Garner at his disposal goals will be likely to flow more, especially with the added quality from our ball playing midfielders coming back to fitness.

I think its if PH who takes charge then we have to be optimistic and hope for Klopp/Wagner esque direct football rather than MM/Big Sam direct football.
" His Style creates goals" on 16:49 - May 25 with 3101 viewsNo9

Scored one more away than they did at home.
Looks like a very defence minded team from the league
" His Style creates goals" on 16:49 - May 25 with 3093 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 16:45 - May 25 by J2BLUE

IF we're ever going to go up in our current situation then he's precisely the sort of manager we need. We're never going to be able to play great football and compete with the big guns. If Hurst's teams play a bit more football and set out to win every game then he could be an upgraded MM.

In all honesty Ross was the exciting target but perhaps not the best target for our current situation, as much as I don't want to admit it.

I'm quite relaxed about it now. I assume we'll get Hurst, Parker or Lampard. Any of them are ok with me.

I think for the club, we need someone who can excite the fans again. It's a tough gig playing that form of style, if it works. excellent. But if it doesn't it won't take long before the boos are back. even for a new manager. This is the sad state of modern football. But is the football world we live in.

Obviously i'll support him if he comes in, or whoever it is. But being a non local. Its not an appointment that would make me think lets get down to ipswich

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 16:50 - May 25 with 3091 viewsHerbivore

" His Style creates goals" on 16:46 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

Don't need to try and be right. I don't hire our next manager.

Forum for discussions Herbi. I get it you want him. You want to convince everyone you're right.

What's the particular conclusion? The Club has lost thousands of fans. Would we win them back by scoring so few goals again? no.

Just so you're aware. We too played football on many occasions. But struggled to kill games off, that's what happens when you inherit a side with a lower budget than most other teams in the Championship without the resources to sign quality attacking players

So my point again. What's going to be different?

We do have quality attacking players though, we were amongst the top scorers in the league before Xmas when things then started to go wrong.

You seem to think the reason Shrewsbury don't score many goals is because they set out to not score many goals. That's not the case, at least not based on what I've seen.

Instead of focusing on their goal stats, try focusing on the fact that they accumulated 87 points despite being second favourites for relegation and having one of the smallest budgets in the league. That's a phenomenal achievement and is not a fluke either looking at Hurst's history as a manager.

" His Style creates goals" on 16:59 - May 25 with 3054 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 16:50 - May 25 by Herbivore

We do have quality attacking players though, we were amongst the top scorers in the league before Xmas when things then started to go wrong.

You seem to think the reason Shrewsbury don't score many goals is because they set out to not score many goals. That's not the case, at least not based on what I've seen.

Instead of focusing on their goal stats, try focusing on the fact that they accumulated 87 points despite being second favourites for relegation and having one of the smallest budgets in the league. That's a phenomenal achievement and is not a fluke either looking at Hurst's history as a manager.

But I've not said his achievement isn't great. It is. and he's done well.

I don't feel you can have the 2nd best defensive record in a league but a middle of table goal scoring figures by being adventurous, free flowing etc
I just feel that the fans are crying out for a bit of adventure in our play

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 17:08 - May 25 with 3033 viewsHerbivore

" His Style creates goals" on 16:59 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

But I've not said his achievement isn't great. It is. and he's done well.

I don't feel you can have the 2nd best defensive record in a league but a middle of table goal scoring figures by being adventurous, free flowing etc
I just feel that the fans are crying out for a bit of adventure in our play

Only 6 teams scored more goals than them in League 1, you're overstating the extent to which they don't score many goals quite significantly. You're also ignoring the issue of them lacking a bit of quality to really score freely, their main striker for much of the season has been a Norwich reserve on loan. Norwich aren't exactly loaded with decent strikers so that tells you something about the calibre of their attacking players.

" His Style creates goals" on 17:09 - May 25 with 3029 viewsJ2BLUE

" His Style creates goals" on 16:49 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

I think for the club, we need someone who can excite the fans again. It's a tough gig playing that form of style, if it works. excellent. But if it doesn't it won't take long before the boos are back. even for a new manager. This is the sad state of modern football. But is the football world we live in.

Obviously i'll support him if he comes in, or whoever it is. But being a non local. Its not an appointment that would make me think lets get down to ipswich

I think Ross would have created a wave of optimism and excitement but unless we had a fast start it could quickly decline. Hurst will bring more moderate expectations and excitement but could soon pick up momentum if we get off to a good start.

I get what you're saying and you can obviously have whatever opinion you want. I wanted Ross as well but taking a step back and looking at it rationally it might be a blessing in disguise.

I do wonder if people are giving Evans too much credit in thinking it's a done deal.

Truly impaired.

" His Style creates goals" on 17:11 - May 25 with 3021 viewsFrimleyBlue

" His Style creates goals" on 17:09 - May 25 by J2BLUE

I think Ross would have created a wave of optimism and excitement but unless we had a fast start it could quickly decline. Hurst will bring more moderate expectations and excitement but could soon pick up momentum if we get off to a good start.

I get what you're saying and you can obviously have whatever opinion you want. I wanted Ross as well but taking a step back and looking at it rationally it might be a blessing in disguise.

I do wonder if people are giving Evans too much credit in thinking it's a done deal.

Yep I think that too. Unless it really is a case of speaking behind the scenes. It really could end up being a back to the rest situation.

Waka waka eh eh

" His Style creates goals" on 19:43 - May 25 with 2860 viewsLeoMuff

" His Style creates goals" on 17:11 - May 25 by FrimleyBlue

Yep I think that too. Unless it really is a case of speaking behind the scenes. It really could end up being a back to the rest situation.

Let’s face it if he is successful he will be loved, same as MM was when we made play offs.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

" His Style creates goals" on 19:49 - May 25 with 2842 viewsclive_baker

" His Style creates goals" on 16:40 - May 25 by Herbivore

You know people are allowed a different opinion to you. Of all the posters on here, on just about every thread where someone disagrees with you I see you instantly jumping down their throat.

You’ve got zero chill.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

(No subject) on 19:53 - May 25 with 2815 viewsHerbivore

" His Style creates goals" on 19:49 - May 25 by clive_baker

You know people are allowed a different opinion to you. Of all the posters on here, on just about every thread where someone disagrees with you I see you instantly jumping down their throat.

You’ve got zero chill.

Oh the irony.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 19:53]

" His Style creates goals" on 19:53 - May 25 with 2815 viewsLord_Lucan

Oh God.

It's Mini Mick isn't it?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

" His Style creates goals" on 19:55 - May 25 with 2805 viewsgroovyASH

It's interesting and ironic that most people who wanted us to select an up and coming lower league manager now feel the need to question the style of football.

The vast majority of lower league teams do not play pretty football. We were never going to get a pretty football manager from league 1 or league 2, or the Scottish Championship for that matter.

The best we were going to get was an adaptable manager with potential which is what we get more from Hurst than Ross IMHO.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

" His Style creates goals" on 20:09 - May 25 with 2764 viewsm14_blue

He doesn't talk or set teams up anything like Mick at all (other than in a literal sense being from Yorkshire). His sides aren't wildly expansive but they're good on the ball and set up to win, both home and away.

He's taken one of the pre season favourites for relegation to 87 points and they've still scored more than most in their league.

No doubt they've struggled a bit at home lately but that's mostly down to visiting teams shutting up shop rather than a negative approach from them. They do lack a bit of guile to break teams down sometimes but that's hardly uncommon at that level.

They've also perhaps suffered a bit from fatigue following a good cup run and a wembley trip in the efl trophy. I could cope with those kind of problems.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024