Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! 06:33 - May 26 with 7493 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I say this because it’s relevent today off all days. I went through a time in secondary school where I supported Liverpool (everybody else did) and although my dad was v strict on this matter and calmly but with a stern under tone said if I do continue to support Liverpool he wouldn’t take me to watch Ipswich anymore. I chose Ipswich therefore missing FA Cup finals, uefa cup finals and today what would be the third champions league final. I still made the right choice and wouldn’t swap being a town fan for anything and it will make it all the sweeter when success finally comes.
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:36 - May 26 with 5185 viewsitfcjoe

I used to have a soft spot for Man U as my Dad is a closet fan. Went too far once and got a shirt, and when I got home reality of it dawned on me and I wore it about twice and gave up.

I always liked them, but realised that was just Fergie as the football they played was great and lots of English. Would rather City beat them now as have no tie to them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:45 - May 26 with 5162 viewstrncbluearmy

Long story short,even though I was born in Ipswich, moved around a lot.
Old Man was on the books at West Ham so it was the only footie club I know,at about the age of 4, even though we lived in Hungerford at the time, I realised I was born in Ipswich,and even then felt it was important to support your home town club so from there on it was ITFC for me.
Unfortunately due to a freak of nature my daughter was born in naaarwiiich,I explained to her at a very early age there are exceptions to every rule!
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:49 - May 26 with 5151 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:45 - May 26 by trncbluearmy

Long story short,even though I was born in Ipswich, moved around a lot.
Old Man was on the books at West Ham so it was the only footie club I know,at about the age of 4, even though we lived in Hungerford at the time, I realised I was born in Ipswich,and even then felt it was important to support your home town club so from there on it was ITFC for me.
Unfortunately due to a freak of nature my daughter was born in naaarwiiich,I explained to her at a very early age there are exceptions to every rule!

Close call that one!!!
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:59 - May 26 with 5132 viewsGeoffSentence

In primary school at about the age of 6, Leeds. One of the big boys jumped on me and made me crossing heart and hope to die that I supported Leeds. At that age I honestly believed that I would die if didn't support them. It took me a couple of years to realise that I wouldnt, during which time my old man took me to watch T owen.

A sad story,yes, but that Leeds bully i inadvertently showed me that superstition was nonsense at an early age, so it had a double happy ending.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 07:04 - May 26 with 5120 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:59 - May 26 by GeoffSentence

In primary school at about the age of 6, Leeds. One of the big boys jumped on me and made me crossing heart and hope to die that I supported Leeds. At that age I honestly believed that I would die if didn't support them. It took me a couple of years to realise that I wouldnt, during which time my old man took me to watch T owen.

A sad story,yes, but that Leeds bully i inadvertently showed me that superstition was nonsense at an early age, so it had a double happy ending.

Actually even as adults Leeds fans are shocked when you tell them you DONT support Leeds. In your case you had a lucky escape.
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 07:37 - May 26 with 5069 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was a serial shirt collector for a while. Had Leeds(!) and L’pool shirts before moving to Ipswich when I was 7. Was quite interested in Spurs, but largely because Hoddle was a footballing God. Followed England more closely for same reason too. But only ever went to watch us when I was growing up. So not really as I never had the chance to see anyone else, and with Robson'sboys why would I want to?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 07:55 - May 26 with 5033 viewsWD19

I Had a soft spot for Everton on the basis that EVERYONE else supported Liverpool and I am a contrarian.
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:00 - May 26 with 5020 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 07:55 - May 26 by WD19

I Had a soft spot for Everton on the basis that EVERYONE else supported Liverpool and I am a contrarian.

Several kids at my school jumped on the Everton bandwagon when they were arguably the best side in the country for a couple of seasons. A couple of them justified it by saying they wore blue.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:00 - May 26 with 5015 viewsHerbivore

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 07:55 - May 26 by WD19

Same here, back in the 80s I was an Everton fan for a couple of years at primary school. I didn't live in Ipswich (or nearby) so didn't have any pressure on me to support Town. I soon chose the righteous path though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:06 - May 26 with 5005 viewsKuqicoo

I went through a strange phase when I was about 8 or 9 when I decided I supported West Ham. I'm really not sure why...I think one of my mates decided he supported Forest at the same time. I even got a West Ham bag. All very bizarre.

It didn't last long thank goodness. All I can do is offer my apologies!
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:08 - May 26 with 5003 viewsSporall

Supported Southampton until the age of about 7 as I'm in Hampshire. Switched to Town as had family in Suffolk who were Town fans and box holders so got to attend games.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 8:09]
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:09 - May 26 with 4990 viewsMJR101

Born in Southend so soft spot for them. Moved to Blackpool aged 8 and supported them for a while. Still hate Preston. Moved to Ipswich aged 11 as the Robson years unfolded.
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:10 - May 26 with 4990 viewsPlums

I had a one season dalliance with Forest at primary school but soon saw sense.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:12 - May 26 with 4981 viewsHerbivore

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:06 - May 26 by Kuqicoo

I went through a strange phase when I was about 8 or 9 when I decided I supported West Ham. I'm really not sure why...I think one of my mates decided he supported Forest at the same time. I even got a West Ham bag. All very bizarre.

It didn't last long thank goodness. All I can do is offer my apologies!

I think you should really think about your future on this message board.

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:16 - May 26 with 4972 viewstextbackup

I had a couple of shirts when really little, Liverpool (as the cool bigger kids at school supported them) then a Manu shirt because I liked Giggs and thought I was a left winger.... then got to about 9/10 and the natural "you're an Ipswich fan from Ipswich" just happened. no pressure from the family, it just happened.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:19 - May 26 with 4960 viewsKuqicoo

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:12 - May 26 by Herbivore

I think you should really think about your future on this message board.

I think I've done that quite frequently in the past few weeks tbh!

I blame my cousins. They were/are massive Spammers. Bad influence on me clearly.

And the bag was hideous by the way...
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:30 - May 26 with 4927 viewsm14_blue

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 06:59 - May 26 by GeoffSentence

Typical Leeds...
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:33 - May 26 with 4917 viewspoppiesman

I supported Tottenham as a kid (no idea why as such) I was probably the only one in my primary school that didn't support Ipswich. It was only when I got into my teens that I really started actually supporting my home town Ipswich.
I still follow Spurs with great interest though. Even though not been to a game for about 4 years now.
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:34 - May 26 with 4917 viewsSlambo

I have to confess to having been an Aston Villa fan when I was a kid..! I moved to Ipswich from America when I was 6 and obviously had no idea about 'soccer'; but I was sporty, so was always going to get into it, but again had no cultural reference point. So I saw Aston Villa on telly and thought they had the nicest kit - and I guess that's what matters to a 6 year old..!

But as I got older I started to feel a lot more of an affinity with my home town and, subsequently, started taking an interest in my local footy side. When I was about 14, I bumped into a lad I went to school with on my paper round - an absolute Ipswich fanatic he was - and he regaled me some stories about an away day he'd been on. And I thought: 'I need this club in my life'...

True story.

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:41 - May 26 with 4893 viewsHerbivore

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:16 - May 26 by textbackup

I had a couple of shirts when really little, Liverpool (as the cool bigger kids at school supported them) then a Manu shirt because I liked Giggs and thought I was a left winger.... then got to about 9/10 and the natural "you're an Ipswich fan from Ipswich" just happened. no pressure from the family, it just happened.

Funnily enough I was pretty much exactly the same age as that when I accepted that I was a Town fan.

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:52 - May 26 with 4868 viewsdickie

I followed Spurs for a bit because the first match I remember watching was the 91 fa cup final where Gazza crocked himself. By 93 I was a town fan though once I started going - plus everyone at school supported Ipswich except for one budgie (and NewcyBlue who if I recall supported Hearts at the time!). Nowadays my father in law is a die hard spurs fan so I rejoice in the knowledge that we won the league more recently than them!
Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:53 - May 26 with 4866 viewsReuser_is_God

Had a few hand me down United shirts from my cousin but that was it.

Always Ipswich.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:55 - May 26 with 4862 viewstextbackup

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:53 - May 26 by Reuser_is_God

Had a few hand me down United shirts from my cousin but that was it.

Always Ipswich.

and murray rangers....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:56 - May 26 with 4855 viewsKieran_Knows

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:55 - May 26 by textbackup

and murray rangers....

The mighty Murray Rangers!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Anybody close to supporting anybody else as a kid!!!! on 08:58 - May 26 with 4845 viewsKieran_Knows

Was Arsenal for me. Dad is an Arsenal fan (used to have a ST back in the day, before I came along!), so was brought up as an Arsenal fan. Got to about 10 years old when my Auntie said enough was enough, and started to take me to Town games, and haven’t looked back since. My old man wasn’t too happy about it, but hey ho, much prefer it this way!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024