Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
****Article on Paul Hurst**** 10:22 - May 28 with 5563 viewswallyvincent

Read this, don’t judge on one game
(Ironic it’s from a Sunderland angle)

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/11/3/16598082/shrews-boss-hur

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:33 - May 28 with 4725 viewsSteve_M

It's almost as if Hurst and Ross are two of bright young managers and either would represent a good appointment for us or Sunderland.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:38 - May 28 with 4674 viewsBrixtonBlue

Interesting stuff. He sounds like a young Mick McCarthy but with the added bonus of flexibility.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:39 - May 28 with 4655 viewsCoco

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:38 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

Interesting stuff. He sounds like a young Mick McCarthy but with the added bonus of flexibility.

No he doesn’t.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:46 - May 28 with 4607 viewsLord_Lucan

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:38 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

Flexibility? If plan A doesn't work try plan A again?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:48 - May 28 with 4587 viewsmonty_radio

Several quotes in that article that contradict previous assertions made on here (although different people within the article itself do the same - e.g. on whether he has a PLAN B, or not).

Given that some have said he doesn't like pressers, or do them well, I found this interesting:

"While in the twilight of his Rotherham career, Hurst studied for a BA in Professional Sports Writing and Broadcasting at Staffordshire University".

Certainly, on yesterday's game, as per Shropshire Star below, he made much of the heat and the sapping final conditions, but also referenced the unbalanced L1 where those clubs just previously in the Championship have more money - that last bit a familiar refrain I wasn't quite so keen on.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/05/27/paul

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:48 - May 28 with 4582 viewsportmanking

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:39 - May 28 by Coco

No he doesn’t.

"Mind, he is very stuck in his ways; it's plan A, and if plan A doesn't work, try plan A again. He creates strong defensive teams. If he does sign, you're not gonna be scoring five goals every game, but the defensive shape is usually great.

His sides can become complacent against 'lesser' teams. We'd go on a good run of form and then lose away at 'Insert Joke Team in the conference here'. He left us because we wouldn't expand our coaching staff (it was needed) and given the support he's smashed it.

I think he'd be great just don't expect “tiki-taka” football."

-------------------------

Sounds just like I feared....
****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:50 - May 28 with 4562 viewspointofblue

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:46 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

I think that shows how he's developed as a manager - IIRC the Grimsby fans said he had no flexibility whilst the Shrewsbury supporters stated he did.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:52 - May 28 with 4543 viewswallyvincent

Later on it says how he’s become more flexible or something like that.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Login to get fewer ads

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:53 - May 28 with 4526 viewsportmanking

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:50 - May 28 by pointofblue

I think that shows how he's developed as a manager - IIRC the Grimsby fans said he had no flexibility whilst the Shrewsbury supporters stated he did.

That may be so, but surely you can understand some people's concerns that it could well be nothing like the revolution-esque 'something different' strategy we were promised by Evans?
****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:53 - May 28 with 4522 viewsCoco

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:48 - May 28 by portmanking

"Mind, he is very stuck in his ways; it's plan A, and if plan A doesn't work, try plan A again. He creates strong defensive teams. If he does sign, you're not gonna be scoring five goals every game, but the defensive shape is usually great.

His sides can become complacent against 'lesser' teams. We'd go on a good run of form and then lose away at 'Insert Joke Team in the conference here'. He left us because we wouldn't expand our coaching staff (it was needed) and given the support he's smashed it.

He’s evolved from that spell at Grimsby. That was what was required there and then and Shrews fans talk of a much more pleasing approach. Im thinking more Dyche than that egotistical chap.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:55 - May 28 with 4502 viewsportmanking

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:53 - May 28 by Coco

He’s evolved from that spell at Grimsby. That was what was required there and then and Shrews fans talk of a much more pleasing approach. Im thinking more Dyche than that egotistical chap.

We can only hope I guess, but I just think it's a shame we're not getting a manager where we can all start on the same page with.
****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:57 - May 28 with 4483 viewsLord_Lucan

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:52 - May 28 by wallyvincent

Later on it says how he’s become more flexible or something like that.

Annoyingly he was my least preferred option of the front runners but what do I know? I wanted Keane!

He seems like a decent bloke though, nice man and all that but it just takes me back to John Duncan.

Let's hope he is given some time amongst the new generation of social media superfans.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:59 - May 28 with 4469 viewsCoco

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:55 - May 28 by portmanking

We can only hope I guess, but I just think it's a shame we're not getting a manager where we can all start on the same page with.

But this guy has been really successful against the odds everywhere he has been and grafted his way up the leagues. He deserves the chance imo.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:03 - May 28 with 4433 viewsportmanking

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:59 - May 28 by Coco

But this guy has been really successful against the odds everywhere he has been and grafted his way up the leagues. He deserves the chance imo.

I don't deny he deserves a shot, but whether he is right for us at this moment in time remains to be seen. Haven't we had enough of five-six seasons of graft? I thought we wanted something a little more than that from the next regime?

Watch this space, I guess.
****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:03 - May 28 with 4432 viewsLord_Lucan

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:59 - May 28 by Coco

Are you his mum or something?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:04 - May 28 with 4424 viewsCoco

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:57 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

Annoyingly he was my least preferred option of the front runners but what do I know? I wanted Keane!

He seems like a decent bloke though, nice man and all that but it just takes me back to John Duncan.

Let's hope he is given some time amongst the new generation of social media superfans.

Gawd Duncan a scary comparison but he was Scottish so more of a Ross.

I know what you’re saying and i have my doubts but he has earned his chance I think. It must be hard for Evans not to be seduced by the Lampards and i think he really likes Parker.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:10 - May 28 with 4380 viewsLord_Lucan

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:04 - May 28 by Coco

Gawd Duncan a scary comparison but he was Scottish so more of a Ross.

I know what you’re saying and i have my doubts but he has earned his chance I think. It must be hard for Evans not to be seduced by the Lampards and i think he really likes Parker.

Must admit I like Parker.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:15 - May 28 with 4344 viewsmonty_radio

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 10:48 - May 28 by portmanking

Selective quoting here (though I appreciate that doesn't deny you the right to form an opinion around them). But here are some quotes you chose not to weigh in the balance:

He took the step up and created a positive atmosphere within the club.

He’s a great man manager, and his players run through walls for him.

He is a great recruiter, he'll sign someone who you think is useless, and that person will become solid and a key part of the team.

With a few shrewd buys, hard work and some swagger at times .......

AND QUOTES REGARDING THE “Does he have a Plan B debate:

He went 4-4-2 every week and got the basics right. We tightened up and then eventually started scoring. It was effective. Over the summer he evolved, with better players and some of the gaps plugged from the year before he has started this season playing 4-5-1.

We have taken apart some of the divisions “big teams” with this flowing style of football and played some magical stuff. When up against the “bus-parkers” he adapts, throws another man up top and keeps banging away until we find a way through, even if like many times this season it’s been very very late. He is pro-active and makes subs when we need it and even throws in the odd different tactic to put other managers off. He’s wiley.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:16 - May 28 with 4346 viewsgmanrom

I'm sorry but it just sounds like Mick, hope it is a success but I can't see how so many can give Mick stick but they won't Paul Hurst.
[Post edited 28 May 2018 11:20]

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:26 - May 28 with 4283 viewsFrimleyBlue

Everything ive been saying and been moaned at for saying.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:30 - May 28 with 4244 viewssolemio

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:10 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

Must admit I like Parker.

He's very fond of you.
****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:32 - May 28 with 4228 viewsmonty_radio

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 11:16 - May 28 by gmanrom

I'm sorry but it just sounds like Mick, hope it is a success but I can't see how so many can give Mick stick but they won't Paul Hurst.
[Post edited 28 May 2018 11:20]

Because it isn't even certain he's coming here yet?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 12:07 - May 28 with 4054 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have you read the whole article about how the football improved later on?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 12:14 - May 28 with 4003 viewsLord_Lucan

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 12:07 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

Have you read the whole article about how the football improved later on?

Of course not.

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 12:17 - May 28 with 3972 viewsBrixtonBlue

****Article on Paul Hurst**** on 12:14 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

Of course not.

Good stuff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024