Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... 09:43 - May 29 with 5131 viewsunstableblue

...that playing style and a yearning for attacking football was one of the biggest factors in the fan's mind with regard this new appointment.

Marcus fulfilling point 5 -‘To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football' - of his strategy was the number 1 aspiration for the majority of fans.

Only time will tell whether Hurst is going to put out the product that the fans crave, and will bring back the lapsed fans and bring success to PR.

I for one think Hurst WILL play a better brand of football than Mick's dirge. And he will inherit a much stronger set of technical players than he has made a success of at the Shrews. I think he will see when assessing the likes of Emmanuel, Downes, Dozzell, Kenlock, Waghorn that we need to play it on the ground and play on the front foot.

He WILL ensure that the gap in playing style between the academy and first team is unsustainable.

BUT I fully understand why fans were very impressed by Ross's demeanour, stated approach, reputation in the game and true adoration of his playing style from the St Mirren fans.

Slating Hurst before he starts is wrong, but raising concerns over missing out on Ross and his potential playing style is completely valid.

Let's all back Hurst, and after 8 games assess whether he has the right style, even if progress has been limited, just as long as we have seen playing system progress.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:49 - May 29 with 4146 viewsSteve_M

I suppose that's eight games longer than you gave McCarthy.

Both Ross and Hurst represent promising young managers, both have done well so far but it;s not certain how either will step up. How much of a difference in style and approach there is at this level remains to be seen.

Either of them represents a better move than a tired old name like Grayson or a walking ego like Sherwood.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:50 - May 29 with 4126 viewsDanFord

Not much seems to be made of the fact that Shrewsbury were expected to go down and were a game away from the Championship. St Mirren were one of four huge clubs in a division of minnows and always had a chance of walking that league with a few new players coming in. Ross did a good job. Hurst did an outstanding one. It's much easier to play attacking football when you have twice the budget of 2/3 of your division like St Mirren rather than half the budget of half the teams in a 24 team division!

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

8 games.......? on 09:52 - May 29 with 4102 viewsBloots

.....careful sunshine, don't overdo it.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:53 - May 29 with 4098 viewsSomethingBlue

I'd give him a season rather than start shrieking and making things up after two months, but I'm already looking forward to reading so don't let this stop you.
[Post edited 29 May 2018 9:53]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:53 - May 29 with 4098 viewsJohnny_Boy

Which nooob down voted that? Oh. That makes sense.

Agree with all of that except the 8 games bit. There's a hellova amount of work to do with his inherited squad.
[Post edited 29 May 2018 9:59]
I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:54 - May 29 with 4090 viewsSuperfrans

The fundamental differences between Ross and Hurst are that Ross had managed around 115 games, Hurst around 500; Hurst has played in English football and will know divisions 1 and 2 like the back of his hand; Ross has been in the Scottish lower leagues his entire career.

They are similar in age (41 and 44), similarly articulate and able to talk well, similarly media savvy, both have degrees outside of football (Ross economics, Hurst journalism), both won manager of the year last season (Ross Scottish league, Hurst League 1).

The stick which some seem keen to beat Hurst on (vs Ross) is style of play - without seeing much more of either managers' teams but for a few clips and a couple of high pressure play-off finals at the end of a 63 game season.

We should be grateful we have got him. He's one of the best young managers in the league and that's what we were after, wasn't it?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 10:00 - May 29 with 4050 viewscbower

He will still be finding his feet after 8 games. After 8 games last season Mick was still playing attacking football and we were one of the leagues top scorers! Any new manager needs time to assess, get his messages across to all at the club and assert his playing style over time. A full season in which we stay nicely out of trouble and show positivity on the pitch would be an excellent start. To start judging after 8 games looks way premature to me.

bluescouser

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 10:00 - May 29 with 4046 viewsmonty_radio

Did Marcus indeed "miss out" on Ross, or was Hurst always his number one?

Anyway, at this moment in time, both are youngish, thrusting managers with enviable starts to their career. Comparisons will yield no real grist for an argument.

What I would note about Hurst though is that he's had nine years of nigh-on unbroken success at each level he's aspired to. That's some early record.

It seems like some people's dream manager unaccountably eluded Evan's attentions, but I'm happy that we have one of these new breed whose early career has been nothing other than a continuous ascent.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

8 games.......? on 10:15 - May 29 with 3988 viewsSWGF

8 games.......? on 09:52 - May 29 by Bloots

Surely we can all agree that those few matches up to the first international break is MORE than enough to show what you can do with new players in your first season managing in the Championship...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

8 games.......? on 10:31 - May 29 with 3921 viewsDubtractor

Up until that point it was a half reasonable post, but that bit lost it completely!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:42 - May 29 with 3792 viewsunstableblue

.... results after 8 games.

I said - "even if progress has been limited, just as long as we have seen playing system progress"

I think that is fair enough?!?!? He has the whole of pre-season to bring in his new ideas, and potentially players. I think after 8 games we should expect to at least have seen some limited progress and suggestion of the long term system of play and ethos.

Even if only in fleeting glances.

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:47 - May 29 with 3770 viewsDanTheMan

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:42 - May 29 by unstableblue

.... results after 8 games.

I said - "even if progress has been limited, just as long as we have seen playing system progress"

I think that is fair enough?!?!? He has the whole of pre-season to bring in his new ideas, and potentially players. I think after 8 games we should expect to at least have seen some limited progress and suggestion of the long term system of play and ethos.

Even if only in fleeting glances.

Think it might take a wee bit more than 8 games to get a system properly working.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 11:54 - May 29 with 3742 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd suggest we've already got the players where style won't be a problem. Put Huws, Dozzell and Nydam in midfield with Skuse sitting and there's plenty of talent. Ditto up front with Waghorn, Garner/Folami.

Not to mention, we'll likely dip into the loan market or perhaps even have a punt on a winger/wide attacker or two.

But as always, it's ensuring that the style brings results and doesn't make us pushovers. In this division, I'd always ensure we've got a team that can grind out a draw or snatch an undeserved win if things don't come off going forward.

That's the base Hurst needs to ensure and build from so if it takes him most of next season to find that balance with entertainment then that's fine by me. Good football isn't and never has been a switch a manager can just flick.

Pronouns: He/Him

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:57 - May 29 with 3703 viewsNo9

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:47 - May 29 by DanTheMan

Think it might take a wee bit more than 8 games to get a system properly working.

It is going to take more than 8 games to sort the wheat from the chaff.
I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:58 - May 29 with 3699 viewsunstableblue

I wasn't suggesting we should be having success or consistent... on 11:47 - May 29 by DanTheMan

yes but I would expect some thing like hoofing without hope and ball retention will have been noticeably improved??

Of course nothing wrong with clearing lines when in danger, but cheap turnover of ball is so counter productive... after 8 games I would expect to see signs (even they are early) that we're improving in a few areas.

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:05 - May 29 with 3665 viewsFrimleyBlue

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 09:54 - May 29 by Superfrans

The fundamental differences between Ross and Hurst are that Ross had managed around 115 games, Hurst around 500; Hurst has played in English football and will know divisions 1 and 2 like the back of his hand; Ross has been in the Scottish lower leagues his entire career.

They are similar in age (41 and 44), similarly articulate and able to talk well, similarly media savvy, both have degrees outside of football (Ross economics, Hurst journalism), both won manager of the year last season (Ross Scottish league, Hurst League 1).

The stick which some seem keen to beat Hurst on (vs Ross) is style of play - without seeing much more of either managers' teams but for a few clips and a couple of high pressure play-off finals at the end of a 63 game season.

We should be grateful we have got him. He's one of the best young managers in the league and that's what we were after, wasn't it?

"Hurst has played in English football and will know divisions 1 and 2 like the back of his hand; Ross has been in the Scottish lower leagues his entire career. "

That's great, maybe he would have been good for Sunderland, the div 1 club?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:09 - May 29 with 3635 viewsSuperfrans

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:05 - May 29 by FrimleyBlue

"Hurst has played in English football and will know divisions 1 and 2 like the back of his hand; Ross has been in the Scottish lower leagues his entire career. "

That's great, maybe he would have been good for Sunderland, the div 1 club?

I've said that all along. Sunderland appointing Ross makes no sense to me, likely to work out bad for both of them imho.

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:11 - May 29 with 3616 viewsFrimleyBlue

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:09 - May 29 by Superfrans

I've said that all along. Sunderland appointing Ross makes no sense to me, likely to work out bad for both of them imho.

I believe it's been done the wrong way round

Hurst would have been ideal for them and Ross for us.

Ross gets the time he needs to make his mark
Hurst knows league 1 and league 1 players to mix with the budget hed have got at Sunderland.

Not sure how Ross will fair in div 1 tho

Waka waka eh eh

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:12 - May 29 with 3608 viewsJ2BLUE

8 games? You really can't wait to turn can you?

Pathetic.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 12:13 - May 29 with 3598 viewsSuperfrans

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 11:54 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

I'd suggest we've already got the players where style won't be a problem. Put Huws, Dozzell and Nydam in midfield with Skuse sitting and there's plenty of talent. Ditto up front with Waghorn, Garner/Folami.

Not to mention, we'll likely dip into the loan market or perhaps even have a punt on a winger/wide attacker or two.

But as always, it's ensuring that the style brings results and doesn't make us pushovers. In this division, I'd always ensure we've got a team that can grind out a draw or snatch an undeserved win if things don't come off going forward.

That's the base Hurst needs to ensure and build from so if it takes him most of next season to find that balance with entertainment then that's fine by me. Good football isn't and never has been a switch a manager can just flick.

At the Shrews, he has consistently played with two wide men too - Whalley and Rodman.

I suspect one move he'll be looking to make is to bring in a couple here. Whalley and Rodman are both in their 30s, so may be looking for younger. Might be good news for Rowe...?

8 games.......? on 12:14 - May 29 with 3580 viewslinhdi

8 games.......? on 10:15 - May 29 by SWGF

Surely we can all agree that those few matches up to the first international break is MORE than enough to show what you can do with new players in your first season managing in the Championship...

Sorry SWGF. Missed the irony and downvoted ya.

Whoosh!!!
I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 13:09 - May 29 with 3468 viewsBlueBadger

8 games? Wow.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 13:20 - May 29 with 3404 viewsTJS

As long as we try and play some attacking football and are not in the bottom 3 he will be getting my full backing for the next 2 seasons.
I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 13:42 - May 29 with 3309 viewsawayfan

Improving the playing style came across very clearly as a priority in Marcus Evans' interview, and I believe Paul Hurst (assuming he joins) will deliver that, given the players he'll have at his disposal. He should be given plenty of time though, before we start making any judgements.

I agree that Jack Ross perhaps sounded the more exciting of the two stylistically, but Hurst is one of the best young managers in the Football League and I'll be delighted if/when he signs. An exciting time to be a Town fan and in recent times we haven't been able to say that very often!
I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 13:46 - May 29 with 3294 viewsFrimleyBlue

I think this board reaction to Hurst and Ross... says one thing to me... on 13:20 - May 29 by TJS

As long as we try and play some attacking football and are not in the bottom 3 he will be getting my full backing for the next 2 seasons.

What if it is pretty much what we have had under mick, just asking

Because we weren't bottom 3.
Occasional football being played
not quite good enough to challenge top end

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024