Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... 13:10 - May 31 with 2581 viewsTheBlueBarca

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst 5 years in my view to build his legacy here. My greatest fear at present is that Hurst will be greatly under resourced compared to much of the Championship and that the results will not be immediate, and thus the fans will turn on him, especially if they see Sunderland under Ross or Derby under Lampard do immediately better. I hope Evans doesn’t get nervous too early and fall into the trap of many owners and sacking Hurst before the job is complete.

I’d say Hurst has the toughest job of any Ipswich manager yet, purely based on the squad he’s inherited and the limits placed on him in terms of budget. Over the past 3 years we have sold and released key players such as Mings, Murphy, Berra, Smith, Didz and have had to wait a long time for replacements to be found and even then, it’s sometimes just been patchwork in terms of loans and frees coming in. The positives are we still have Bart, Waghorn and Garner to build around but if we are being totally honest we can’t expect the likes of Chambers & Skuse to be part of a long-term plan here and with Didz and Hyam going already we may need to begin a much needed shake up of the overall squad. Hurst is going to be going into the market with one of the strictest budgets in terms of overall transfer fees and wages in the league. He’s going to have to buy very wisely and make every penny count as anything less could be our overall downfall.

I wish Hurst all the best with building a legacy here, but he needs time and patience. This is a tough job, and although some EADT writers may feel that a few additions and the squad will make playoffs, I and I am sure many others on here feel that the reality is quite different. Hurst is a unique appointment for Ipswich — Sheepshanks worked with Royle, Burley and Magilton who all had a lot of experience in the top league of this country (and internationally) having played and worked with some of the biggest clubs in the country relatively speaking for their era (Ipswich, Everton, Manchester City, Liverpool, Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday among others) and Evans’s appointments of Keane, Jewell and McCarthy had all been in that vein broadly speaking.

So this is something new for the club and we shouldn’t expect instant results, especially with Evans’s clear objective to make the club essentially pay for itself rather than start spending serious money on players and wages in the window.

Give the man time. I wish him the best of luck. He was the most popular choice by far, so let's stick with him.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:14 - May 31 with 2554 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Time IS something that ME definitely gives his managers.

in his 10 years as owner he has not panicked once.

Hurst inherited a better squad than MM inherited. The character is good, and there is the basis of a solid team. Plus some good creative youngsters and one of last seasons best attackers in the league.

telling ME to give Hurst time is definitely a case of telling his grandmother how to suck eggs!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:19 - May 31 with 2548 viewsGuthrum

Nobody has ever accused Evans of sacking his ITFC managers too hastily.

Edit: OK, perhaps Magilton, but even then things had got distinctly stale.
[Post edited 31 May 2018 13:20]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:19 - May 31 with 2539 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Thanks Marcus.

No, I do agree with much of what you’ve said. A lot of it rests on fans’ expectations though - for most (myself included) I think that a top 10 finish, some entertaining football and some decent game time for our youngsters would be a good season.

All very well and good saying this now in May though, will be interesting to see if people still have those expectations if we find ourselves in mid table no mans land in Feb time, like we were this year.
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:25 - May 31 with 2520 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:19 - May 31 by Matt_Netherlands

Thanks Marcus.

No, I do agree with much of what you’ve said. A lot of it rests on fans’ expectations though - for most (myself included) I think that a top 10 finish, some entertaining football and some decent game time for our youngsters would be a good season.

All very well and good saying this now in May though, will be interesting to see if people still have those expectations if we find ourselves in mid table no mans land in Feb time, like we were this year.

I dont think most fans complain about finishing 12th. I think its more about how we get there.

If he plays more entertaining football and finishes 12th, I dont think most fans would have an issue.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:27 - May 31 with 2505 viewswkj

I think Marcus Evans isnt the concerning entity here, the real issue for my money is "The 'vocal' supporters need to give Paul Hurst time"

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:29 - May 31 with 2495 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets not get carried away. Evans always gives managers time and he has a three year deal. There's no need to commit to anything else at this point.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:29 - May 31 with 2484 viewsBluebell

Of course needs to give him time but three years is a lot when you consider other managers.

I am sure he will review the contract when he sees for himself how Hurst does in the Championship.
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:33 - May 31 with 2482 viewsBinner

I think it is a bit early to speculate on when Evans should dump Hurst. It is up to us supporters to be reasonable with our expectations; in my view, if Hurst's spending power is similar to that afforded to his predecessor, then a top-half finish would be a decent return and play-offs (or better) would be a major achievement.

If, however, we are starting the 2020/21 season in League 2, then we may have to consider whether his time is up.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 14:21 - May 31 with 2414 viewsFtnfwest

we all do. McCarthy got 6 years after all. This first year though has to be a bit of a 'free hit' for him. I think with a not too unreasonable aim of matching 12th, maybe a few mow shots on goal and winning a couple of cup games would be nice. But as long as we are not involved heavily in a relegation fight he will have done well tbh
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 21:44 - May 31 with 2190 viewsBlueBadger

He was willing to give Roy Keane time, despite the fact that it was patently clear he couldn't do the job by the end of September 2009.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 21:48 - May 31 with 2185 viewschristiand

ME will, he has with previous appointments can’t see that approach changing. The issue is, as supporters, we have to be patient and give Hurst time to embed his ethos and not start to get disgruntled if things don’t work immediately. If we are trying to play a better brand of football that’s a big step in the right direction for me.
[Post edited 31 May 2018 21:49]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 22:08 - May 31 with 2129 viewsjas0999

This is a given. ME gives managers time. Often too much.
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 22:24 - May 31 with 2105 viewsCurrie10

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 13:25 - May 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think most fans complain about finishing 12th. I think its more about how we get there.

If he plays more entertaining football and finishes 12th, I dont think most fans would have an issue.

Maybe that's what is wrong with football in a nutshell.

While I know where you're coming from, and want X Y Z , 12th is ultimately still 12th?
Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 22:31 - May 31 with 2092 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Marcus Evans needs to give Paul Hurst time... on 22:24 - May 31 by Currie10

Maybe that's what is wrong with football in a nutshell.

While I know where you're coming from, and want X Y Z , 12th is ultimately still 12th?

but for a fan, it is still an entertainment business.

To see my team finish 12th but enjoying watching them has to be much preferable to not enjoying it with the same outcome. One sees me renew my season ticket barring other circumstances preventing it, the other sees me finding something else to do on my Saturday even while I had the ticket.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024