Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... 21:02 - Jun 1 with 6009 viewsstrikalite

Was anyone listening? Basically said all the obvious stuff regarding why ME chose him but interesting making the point strongly about the younger coaches/Managers now using sports science stuff and collecting data on players re fitness and rehab...

Think he mentioned Hurst had the fittest side in League One last year too..

Said that Lampard didn't have the experience of the other candidates and that in every walk of life is crucial..
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 21:04]
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:07 - Jun 1 with 5935 viewsHipsterectomy

The vid I linked to the other day had Hurst talking about the club doing fitness tests on players every 6 weeks.

Not sure how much that helps in the long run and also a bit redundant I would assume as they ended up playing about 60 games.

Also isn't it always going to be that players who are playing are fitter than those not?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:07 - Jun 1 with 5933 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Think Lampard will rapidly gain the experience of receiving his P45 and may have more clubs than Hurst on his CV very soon.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:14 - Jun 1 with 5900 viewsstrikalite

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:07 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Think Lampard will rapidly gain the experience of receiving his P45 and may have more clubs than Hurst on his CV very soon.

Clarridge was talking on there previous to Milne coming on and I agreed totally with him in saying that the players will have huge respect at first but they'll soon work him out whether he can cut it, also the obvious one about the owner being ruthless and nothing less than play-offs will do and also how he's off to the World Cup soon when surely he should be concentrating right now on Derby, even at this early stage....if they start badly that will be highlighted no doubt.
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:26 - Jun 1 with 5789 viewsIllinoisblue

Oh the irony of Milne telling us football experience is vital!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:33 - Jun 1 with 5725 viewsgtsb

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:14 - Jun 1 by strikalite

Clarridge was talking on there previous to Milne coming on and I agreed totally with him in saying that the players will have huge respect at first but they'll soon work him out whether he can cut it, also the obvious one about the owner being ruthless and nothing less than play-offs will do and also how he's off to the World Cup soon when surely he should be concentrating right now on Derby, even at this early stage....if they start badly that will be highlighted no doubt.

He can't be going to the world cup now for a month . That would be madness.
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:46 - Jun 1 with 5623 viewsbentley_blue

Slip of the tongue but did Milne call our new manager Paul Worst?
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:54 - Jun 1 with 5589 viewsstrikalite

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:33 - Jun 1 by gtsb

He can't be going to the world cup now for a month . That would be madness.

Apparently he still is...
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:59 - Jun 1 with 5564 viewsstrikalite

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:46 - Jun 1 by bentley_blue

Slip of the tongue but did Milne call our new manager Paul Worst?

Ha yeah did he say worst? Oh dear..
Login to get fewer ads

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 22:34 - Jun 1 with 5456 viewsFreddies_Ears

In saying "nothing against Mick and Terry" in the same part of the interview as wanting a more sports science approach, he gave every indication of why we're moving on with a younger manager.
He spoke pretty well, nothing new in what he said. I was a bit surprised he did it - it's out of character to do that kind of media... (Lucky it wasn't 24 hours earlier, when he'd been enjoying himself at the Suffolk Show all day)
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 22:54 - Jun 1 with 5378 viewsstrikalite

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 22:34 - Jun 1 by Freddies_Ears

In saying "nothing against Mick and Terry" in the same part of the interview as wanting a more sports science approach, he gave every indication of why we're moving on with a younger manager.
He spoke pretty well, nothing new in what he said. I was a bit surprised he did it - it's out of character to do that kind of media... (Lucky it wasn't 24 hours earlier, when he'd been enjoying himself at the Suffolk Show all day)

He seemed to suggest that the younger coaches like Hurst use technology implying in a way that the game has moved on from how Mick and Terry work, putting it bluntly..
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 23:02 - Jun 1 with 5346 viewsSuperfrans

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 22:34 - Jun 1 by Freddies_Ears

You do have to bear in mind though that he is an utter idiot. He seems to simply say whatever comes into his head at any given time. I wouldn’t pay attention to anything he says tbh. The sooner he’s out of the club, the better. Imho.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 10:47 - Jun 2 with 4747 viewsGuthrum

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 23:02 - Jun 1 by Superfrans

You do have to bear in mind though that he is an utter idiot. He seems to simply say whatever comes into his head at any given time. I wouldn’t pay attention to anything he says tbh. The sooner he’s out of the club, the better. Imho.

I disagree. After all, pretty much everything he said to us in the pub at Bristol turned out to be true, or at least a reflection of what Evans would go on to say in his interview: McCarthy's days being numbered, looking widely at options to replace him, trying something slightly different, not likely to be vastly increased spending and so on. It's said that he does actually convey the opinions of fans back up to Evans (whether or not that's acted upon).

Of course he's inclined towards the bland, "political" answer - but that goes for virtually all senior people in any large organisation. Reading interviews with top business people, they often may as well have been a photocopied press release, they're that similar and safe.

In any case, I much prefer having an MD who is prepared to come down and talk to fans face-to-face, informally, than some distant official who only speaks to us through the media. I think that's one of the reasons things never got completely silly, a la West Ham.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 11:45 - Jun 2 with 4651 viewsbraveblue

Have given up listening to him.
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 17:21 - Jun 2 with 4407 viewsnshearman1

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 10:47 - Jun 2 by Guthrum

I disagree. After all, pretty much everything he said to us in the pub at Bristol turned out to be true, or at least a reflection of what Evans would go on to say in his interview: McCarthy's days being numbered, looking widely at options to replace him, trying something slightly different, not likely to be vastly increased spending and so on. It's said that he does actually convey the opinions of fans back up to Evans (whether or not that's acted upon).

Of course he's inclined towards the bland, "political" answer - but that goes for virtually all senior people in any large organisation. Reading interviews with top business people, they often may as well have been a photocopied press release, they're that similar and safe.

In any case, I much prefer having an MD who is prepared to come down and talk to fans face-to-face, informally, than some distant official who only speaks to us through the media. I think that's one of the reasons things never got completely silly, a la West Ham.

Total respect for your views, Guthrum, but IMHO Milne is purely a PR man, the public face of ME. That's his job, to assuage the fans. However, he is close to the throne and therefore gives us what The Master is thinking from time to time. It's quite clear that ME decided Mick's time had come and gone, and he needed fresh thinking in this club - hence the interesting reference to the criteria ME clearly felt was important during the selection process regarding sports stats and fitness. It seems the injury issues have caused concern at the top and they're hoping Hurst can come in and develop fit, injury-free players. So it was indeed interesting to hear that.
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 17:33 - Jun 2 with 4377 viewsAce_High1

is Hurst in the upper quartile of managers in the world?
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 20:32 - Jun 2 with 4206 viewsSwn98

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 17:33 - Jun 2 by Ace_High1

is Hurst in the upper quartile of managers in the world?

NO
Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 21:38 - Jun 2 with 4127 viewshorsehollerer

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 23:02 - Jun 1 by Superfrans

I tend to agree with the vast majority of your posts, but not this one. Milne comes across as a decent chap to me, and always seems happy to talk to fans. If he appears "clueless" sometimes, I think it's because he is genuinely out of the loop regarding a lot of club matters - Stuart Watson suggested in a Q&A a few weeks ago that he is not usually involved in top-level discussions.

Of course, Milne is paid to shield the owner from supporters and the media, so whenever disgruntled fans start directing their frustrations at Milne instead of ME... well, this is exactly what both of them want you to do.

I think a lot of it is unwarranted and a bit lazy tbh.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Milne on Radio5 talking about Hurst... on 23:34 - Jun 2 with 3996 viewsBLUEBEAT

Milne is better than Clegg fo’sho’

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024