Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gascoigne 09:28 - Jun 3 with 8377 viewsSwailsey

Texters post about the Platt goal has led me to rewatch the BBC 1990 documentary this morning.

Gazza was some player wasn’t he? Christ. I was only 2 at the time so only really clocked him in ‘96.

Lovely Sunday morning lazy viewing.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Gascoigne on 09:33 - Jun 3 with 6020 viewsStokieBlue

Yep, brilliant player.

Some great highlights reels from around that time, him and Le God especially.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Gascoigne on 09:35 - Jun 3 with 6013 viewsLord_Lucan

Gazza was phenomenal, has to be Englands best ever player.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Gascoigne on 09:42 - Jun 3 with 5989 viewsFtnfwest

Best England player I’ve ever seen, but that’s 1973 or 4 onwards really. Destroyed by the cup final injury really but when he regained fitness with Lazio was briefly on another level to Serie A, which then was much stronger a league than it is now.
Gascoigne on 09:45 - Jun 3 with 5969 viewsSitfcB

There's some great bits in the Sir Bobby film about 1990.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Gascoigne on 09:46 - Jun 3 with 5970 viewsBetablocker

Gascoigne on 09:35 - Jun 3 by Lord_Lucan

Yep agree between him and best as Britain's best ever players.

It's time like that you realize how lucky you were to have witnessed him (gazza) first hand

Twtd
Gascoigne on 09:52 - Jun 3 with 5954 viewsLord_Lucan

Gascoigne on 09:46 - Jun 3 by Betablocker

Yep agree between him and best as Britain's best ever players.

It's time like that you realize how lucky you were to have witnessed him (gazza) first hand

Twtd

I can't have seen enough of George Best because the little of what I have seen doesn't stand up as that brilliant - millions of people can't be wrong though.

By pure luck I saw he last ever game for Man U at QPR, he wasn't at his best!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Gascoigne on 09:59 - Jun 3 with 5925 viewschristiand

Find it hard that we still cling on to those near misses of 90 and 96 when we reached the semi final. When you look at a country like Germany who reached 4 World Cup finals out of 5 from 1974-1990 we'd all be self-combusting if that was England!

Gazza was indeed some player, but not convinced Robson fully trusted him at first for England. He just came of age during that tournament. Just remember him running the show against Holland in that second group match and leaving Gulitt, Koemen and Van Basten in his wake. Would love a Gazza in our midfield for Russia this summer, but a once in a generation player unfortunately.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Gascoigne on 09:59 - Jun 3 with 5926 viewsstrikalite

...and fans loved him because he was an ordinary guy who just loved football, you know that he'd play his heart out for nothing, fans connected with him..
Login to get fewer ads

Gascoigne on 10:31 - Jun 3 with 5861 viewsSteve_M

That season afterwards for Spurs too, he was utterly unplayable. and then the silly fool did his cruciate making a dreadful tackle and was never quite the same. Still an amazingly talented player but none of the acceleration on the ball.

I see from Facebook that he was at a sporting dinner in Bolton yesterday, bet he is an amusing speaker. But getting out and doing things like that, even being on social media, will hopefully help him keep his demons away. There have been times when it's looked like he wouldn't make 40, let alone 50.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Gascoigne on 10:36 - Jun 3 with 5842 viewsHerbivore

And to think he could have been a Town player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gascoigne on 10:37 - Jun 3 with 5843 viewsSuperfrans

Great shout. Just put it on myself now. Even the opening credits send a shiver down my spine....

And yes, Gascoigne. What a player. I saw him play in Euro 96, we went to all England’s games, so lucky,
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 10:38]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Gascoigne on 10:37 - Jun 3 with 5837 viewsfactual_blue

Although before even my time, Duncan Edwards is thought to have been England's greatest player.

Jimmy Armfield, who played with him, and was a pundit I have great respect for, reckoned that with Edwards England would have won three consecutive World Cups.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gascoigne on 10:40 - Jun 3 with 5817 viewsBlue_Order

My boyhood hero.
Gascoigne on 10:42 - Jun 3 with 5805 viewsSuperfrans

Gascoigne on 10:37 - Jun 3 by factual_blue

Although before even my time, Duncan Edwards is thought to have been England's greatest player.

Jimmy Armfield, who played with him, and was a pundit I have great respect for, reckoned that with Edwards England would have won three consecutive World Cups.

Bobby Charlton is up there too imho. And, well before our time, Matthews and Finney were both exceptional too apparently.

In my lifetime, Gascoigne was right up there. Unfortunately, our other greatest player wasn’t truly trusted by any England manager - Hoddle. He was a great player too. If he’d been Italian he would have played 100-plus international games.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 10:47]

Gascoigne on 10:46 - Jun 3 with 5790 viewsSuperfrans

Gascoigne on 09:52 - Jun 3 by Lord_Lucan

I can't have seen enough of George Best because the little of what I have seen doesn't stand up as that brilliant - millions of people can't be wrong though.

By pure luck I saw he last ever game for Man U at QPR, he wasn't at his best!

Have to disagree on Best. Yes, he screwed his career up, so didn’t fulfil his potential, but what he could do on the ball, fantastic close control and speed... Messi is the only comparison I can think of.

Gascoigne on 11:07 - Jun 3 with 5751 viewsLord_Lucan

Gascoigne on 10:46 - Jun 3 by Superfrans

Have to disagree on Best. Yes, he screwed his career up, so didn’t fulfil his potential, but what he could do on the ball, fantastic close control and speed... Messi is the only comparison I can think of.

I didn’t say he wasn’t brilliant, I just said I didn’t see enough of him to form that opinion. Obviously not as much TV coverage and footage back then.

Gascoigne on 11:12 - Jun 3 with 5748 viewsbrazil1982

Best England player ever. He could run at players, beat players, play an exquisite pass, score, do things with a ball that many couldn't.
Gascoigne on 11:37 - Jun 3 with 5702 viewsSuperfrans

Gascoigne on 11:07 - Jun 3 by Lord_Lucan

I didn’t say he wasn’t brilliant, I just said I didn’t see enough of him to form that opinion. Obviously not as much TV coverage and footage back then.

Worth checking this out. Given the conditions he was often playing in, some of the skill he shows here is incredible. Some of these goals, players didn’t score goals like this 40-50 years ago, certainly not British players.

Gascoigne on 11:42 - Jun 3 with 5685 viewsrickw

Comment here to remind myself to watch this later!! ;-)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Gascoigne on 12:13 - Jun 3 with 5648 viewspatrickswell

Gascoigne on 10:31 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

That season afterwards for Spurs too, he was utterly unplayable. and then the silly fool did his cruciate making a dreadful tackle and was never quite the same. Still an amazingly talented player but none of the acceleration on the ball.

I see from Facebook that he was at a sporting dinner in Bolton yesterday, bet he is an amusing speaker. But getting out and doing things like that, even being on social media, will hopefully help him keep his demons away. There have been times when it's looked like he wouldn't make 40, let alone 50.

You do wonder how things may have panned out for Gascoigne if Roger Milford had had the courage to red card him in the first minute of the final when he karate kicked Garry Parker in the chest - thus saving him from making that later tackle.
Gascoigne on 12:40 - Jun 3 with 5578 viewsIllinoisblue

Did Gazza ever play at Portman Rd? Either for Spurs or Newcastle? I recall one early season night game at home v Spurs around 93 or 94 when a Klinsmann-inspired team ripped us a new one but think Gazza may have already left for Lazio by then

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gascoigne on 12:43 - Jun 3 with 5575 viewsSteve_M

Gascoigne on 12:40 - Jun 3 by Illinoisblue

Did Gazza ever play at Portman Rd? Either for Spurs or Newcastle? I recall one early season night game at home v Spurs around 93 or 94 when a Klinsmann-inspired team ripped us a new one but think Gazza may have already left for Lazio by then

He might have done for Middlesbrough or, later, Everton, he definitely played against us in the away match in 01-02 as I remember Holland having his shirt.

Edit: According to Soccerbase he didn't although he played against us in both away wins at Everton in 00-01 and 01-02.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 12:48]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Gascoigne on 12:48 - Jun 3 with 5556 viewsIllinoisblue

Gascoigne on 12:43 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

He might have done for Middlesbrough or, later, Everton, he definitely played against us in the away match in 01-02 as I remember Holland having his shirt.

Edit: According to Soccerbase he didn't although he played against us in both away wins at Everton in 00-01 and 01-02.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 12:48]

Forgot he played for both of those!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gascoigne on 13:05 - Jun 3 with 5529 viewsFtnfwest

Gascoigne on 12:13 - Jun 3 by patrickswell

You do wonder how things may have panned out for Gascoigne if Roger Milford had had the courage to red card him in the first minute of the final when he karate kicked Garry Parker in the chest - thus saving him from making that later tackle.

Lot of underlying mental issues with gazza, largely connected with the death of a friend little brother who he was briefly looking after when he was about 11 I think and the little lad was 7 or 8. The notorious running out from behind an ice cream van. Don’t think he was ever over it and led to all his insomnia issues and always having to be doing something, leading on to alcoholism etc.
Gascoigne on 13:05 - Jun 3 with 5526 viewschristiand

Great link, just watched this. Must have seen this before, but honestly can't remember!! That Irish side under Jack Charlton, the most boring and one dimensional side and we wonder where MM got his managerial approach from?!

Top work Chrisswailes!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024