Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good luck to all taking their A levels 08:51 - Jun 4 with 2042 viewsCotty

Was going to add this to the other thread but thought it might be useful for more students to see this.

Best of luck with your exams! Some top exam tips.

Study smart. You don't need to study 15 hours a day to succeed. There is only so much useful revision you can do in a day. During those hours, focus hard and remove distractions (phones, laptops etc). But outside of those hours make sure to relax, take exercise, eat well. And sleep. Sleep is probably THE most important thing, alongside revision. So avoid caffeine after 3pm, get a little exercise, avoid screens last thing at night.

As an admissions tutor at a university, here are my top tips.

1. If you just miss out on a grade, and that grade is the difference between getting onto your chosen course and not, send it off to be remarked AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If your school is not willing to pay for it, and you can afford to, I strongly suggest that you do this.

2. If your grades are much better than expected, and you feel you could've got onto a better course if you had only applied, GIVE THEM A RING! They will more than likely be happy to take you on (unless we are talking Oxford or Cambridge, obviously, although even they might encourage you to reapply next year in exceptional cases).

3. If you don't get onto your first choice course, it is not the end of the world! I didn't get into my first choice, and I'm now teaching in a university. In all likelihood, no matter where you end up, if you apply yourself and work hard and have chosen the right course, you will be successful and have a great time.

4. This feels like the most important thing you've ever done, and to be honest it probably is at the moment. But next year it won't be any more. So relax and just do your best.

If anybody is suffering from exam stress or anxiety, please PM, I'm more than happy to talk it through!

Best of luck,

Cotty

xxxx
Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:11 - Jun 4 with 1990 viewsRyorry

Well said Cotty.

The smartest guy (or the one who sailed through exams easily anyway, with a starred double first from Cambridge) told me he did it by writing his revision notes in tiny handwriting, bullet points, onto a single side of postcard, and filing those in logical order into a tray for quick flip-throughs. Have to say it worked for me too.

Would also add that there'll aways be other routes to obtaining a good degree at some later point in your life, so really no need to stress yourself out in the here and now.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:17 - Jun 4 with 1981 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:11 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

Well said Cotty.

The smartest guy (or the one who sailed through exams easily anyway, with a starred double first from Cambridge) told me he did it by writing his revision notes in tiny handwriting, bullet points, onto a single side of postcard, and filing those in logical order into a tray for quick flip-throughs. Have to say it worked for me too.

Would also add that there'll aways be other routes to obtaining a good degree at some later point in your life, so really no need to stress yourself out in the here and now.

I'm a case in point re your last point. My A-Level results back in 2010 were terrible (I was naive and had decided I'd 'had enough' of education and so really didn't put any effort in).

However I've recently completed an Access to Higher Education Diploma which is the equivalent of three A-Levels, which I managed to do in just under six months, so that I can go to uni in October. Awaiting my final grades in the next couple of weeks but all should be fine.

So yeah, your A-Level results aren't necessarily the end of the world, but good luck to everyone taking them!
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 10:18]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:17 - Jun 4 with 1977 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:11 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

Well said Cotty.

Duplicate post.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:32 - Jun 4 with 1939 viewsSuperfrans

Thanks for that. My 18yo has her first exam on Wednesday and is really stressed. I will share this with her - although she already has an unconditional place on her art foundation of choice, so she is relatively fortunate. But her friends have tough results to achieve.

You wouldn't have a problem with me sharing this elsewhere, would you?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:54 - Jun 4 with 1916 viewsVic

Cotters, this is just brilliant. I've got two children at Uni and one who's graduated and I can say that this is just brilliant advice, and so much the more so coming from someone in the uni system.

This needs to be read more widely than by the few that read this footie forum - can I cut and paste it onto my FB page?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 11:08 - Jun 4 with 1898 viewsIpswichKnight

Indeed Good luck!! I know the AQA Geography A Level is today as Mrs Ipswich Knight teaches it at the 6th form college she works at.

I didn't do A-Levels or go to uni as a teenager instead I waited a bit and got my Law degree at a university night school in my late 20's and early 30's.
Good luck to all taking their A levels on 11:45 - Jun 4 with 1874 viewslowhouseblue

your first point is extremely good. some schools seem to do this systematically (typically the posh ones) whereas some schools don't seem to have caught on. a surprisingly high proportion of results seem to be moved up following a remark.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 13:25 - Jun 4 with 1833 viewsJ4ck22

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:17 - Jun 4 by ThisIsMyUsername

I'm a case in point re your last point. My A-Level results back in 2010 were terrible (I was naive and had decided I'd 'had enough' of education and so really didn't put any effort in).

However I've recently completed an Access to Higher Education Diploma which is the equivalent of three A-Levels, which I managed to do in just under six months, so that I can go to uni in October. Awaiting my final grades in the next couple of weeks but all should be fine.

So yeah, your A-Level results aren't necessarily the end of the world, but good luck to everyone taking them!

Like yourself, my A-Levels didn't go too well either. Although after working for a few years I managed to use what I have to get into a decent university course which I'm starting this september.

Like everyone else says, it feels like it at the time but it's definitely not the end of the world!
Login to get fewer ads

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 13:27 - Jun 4 with 1828 viewsCotty

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 10:54 - Jun 4 by Vic

Cotters, this is just brilliant. I've got two children at Uni and one who's graduated and I can say that this is just brilliant advice, and so much the more so coming from someone in the uni system.

This needs to be read more widely than by the few that read this footie forum - can I cut and paste it onto my FB page?

Yes, just prefer to keep my username/details out of it if that's ok.
Good luck to all taking their A levels on 13:52 - Jun 4 with 1793 viewsVaughan8

Just thought I would say, going to Uni isn't the be all and end all. Some careers you can do as an apprenticeship type thing.

I remember at school they would only go on about University as an option (not sure what it is like now), but there are plenty of other route. Obviously there are some things you have to go to Uni for, but I'm not talking about those.

Good luck to anyone taking their A Levels
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 13:53]
Good luck to all taking their A levels on 14:41 - Jun 4 with 1752 viewsSuperfrans

Good luck to all taking their A levels on 13:52 - Jun 4 by Vaughan8

Just thought I would say, going to Uni isn't the be all and end all. Some careers you can do as an apprenticeship type thing.

I remember at school they would only go on about University as an option (not sure what it is like now), but there are plenty of other route. Obviously there are some things you have to go to Uni for, but I'm not talking about those.

Good luck to anyone taking their A Levels
[Post edited 4 Jun 2018 13:53]

Indeed. I didn't go to uni - although I wanted to at the time. I wanted to be a journalist, found a local newspaper pre-entry course in Harlow and started there. Didn't need uni to do the job I wanted to do and not having a degree hasn't once got in the way of my career.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024