Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of Paulie Cooper 23:54 - Jun 4 with 3613 viewspaulleekelly

The last few days I have been watching a lot of old youtube clips of town from 77-79. I was surprised how many errors Paulie Cooper was making. He was the reason i support Town. In the late 1970's i was living in a children's home in Crawley, Sussex and hadn't picked a team to support . One Christmas I got a blue and white scarf as a present.I remember deciding who i was going to follow. The criteria was twofold: a team who plays in blue and white and has a decent keeper ( i was mad on goalkeepers ). I narrowed the choice down to Paulie Cooper and Ipswich, or Peter Bonnetti and Chelsea. I decided pretty quickly it was going to be Paulie Cooper and Town. Also i wanted to be different from the other kids in the home who supported the usual suspects and Crystal Palace. I occasionally wonder how my life would have been if I'd chosen Chelsea (who weren't great at the time.) Anyway shortly after that the children's home moved to Halesworth, Suffolk and i could get to watch Town pretty regularly. This was 81-82 season. My point is this in my 10/11 year old mind Paulie Cooper was god. Was i looking through blue tinted glasses?. Or did he vastly improve from 79 to 82?
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 00:28 - Jun 5 with 3565 viewsfloridablue

Could save a penalty though, and that save in Amsterdam to win us the EUFA Cup 81, Good enough for me.
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 02:16 - Jun 5 with 3530 viewsharlingblue

Paul Cooper, not our best Ipswich Town keeper, (Roy Bailey and Bart would get that accolade), but always brave, and our best penalty saving keeper ever?
He use to review teams penalty takers, use to psyche them out, standing away from centre and closer to the side that they preferred, while suggesting with his arm to shoot at the larger area available. Paul was normally the winner.
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 06:43 - Jun 5 with 3424 viewsColin_Viljoen

I remember him saving a penalty away at West Ham from Ray Stewart who was a renowned penalty taker.
He was also the tightest player at buying a round, I used to drink with the town players after a Saturday home game, Cooper was always the last to put his hand in his pocket.
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 08:23 - Jun 5 with 3285 viewsfactual_blue

Peter Bonetti - the man who lost us the World Cup.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 08:48 - Jun 5 with 3237 viewsRadlett_blue

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 02:16 - Jun 5 by harlingblue

Paul Cooper, not our best Ipswich Town keeper, (Roy Bailey and Bart would get that accolade), but always brave, and our best penalty saving keeper ever?
He use to review teams penalty takers, use to psyche them out, standing away from centre and closer to the side that they preferred, while suggesting with his arm to shoot at the larger area available. Paul was normally the winner.

I think he was also an early adopter of the "move a yard forward from your goal line" strategy.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 12:08 - Jun 5 with 3138 viewsitfctim

That 'I got a blue and white scarf one Christmas in a children's home' comment and then made a decision of who to support, melted me, I'm not ashamed to say.
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 13:50 - Jun 5 with 3017 viewsJimmyJazz

Who the bejesus is Paulie Cooper? Was he in the same team as Paulie Mariner?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 14:00 - Jun 5 with 2998 viewssolemio

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 13:50 - Jun 5 by JimmyJazz

Who the bejesus is Paulie Cooper? Was he in the same team as Paulie Mariner?

JimmyJazz wrote a Paulie phrased posting.
Login to get fewer ads

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 14:35 - Jun 5 with 2968 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 08:23 - Jun 5 by factual_blue

Peter Bonetti - the man who lost us the World Cup.

Bit harsh!

He didn't have a great game and you could blame him for two of the goals. But would England have beaten a fine Italy side and the great Brazil in the final?

They lost to Brazil in the group stage and even if the got past Italy it would have been a tough final to win.

By the way I watched the 1970 final a few years ago from start to finish and Italy were the better side for first hour. They ran out of steam due to having played extra time in the semi final. Very good side, probably on a par with the 82 side which won the World Cup.

As for Town goalkeepers, we probably haven't had a great keeper in the last 50 years. I never saw Bailey but people speak in great terms about him.

Wright, Forrest, Cooper, Davis all good. Bialkowski my favourite in modern times for the amount of fantastic saves he makes. If his kicking was as good he'd be a top six Premier League keeper.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 22:35 - Jun 5 with 2772 viewsBurwell_Blue

A memory from my very first match at PR was some wag shouting “get back in your kennel Cooper” as he dared venture out of his area.

Always stuck with me that has.
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 22:53 - Jun 5 with 2740 viewsconnorscontract

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 14:35 - Jun 5 by The_Last_Baron

Bit harsh!

He didn't have a great game and you could blame him for two of the goals. But would England have beaten a fine Italy side and the great Brazil in the final?

They lost to Brazil in the group stage and even if the got past Italy it would have been a tough final to win.

By the way I watched the 1970 final a few years ago from start to finish and Italy were the better side for first hour. They ran out of steam due to having played extra time in the semi final. Very good side, probably on a par with the 82 side which won the World Cup.

As for Town goalkeepers, we probably haven't had a great keeper in the last 50 years. I never saw Bailey but people speak in great terms about him.

Wright, Forrest, Cooper, Davis all good. Bialkowski my favourite in modern times for the amount of fantastic saves he makes. If his kicking was as good he'd be a top six Premier League keeper.

Alexander was just hitting very good form when he headed north to Rangers.

And Begovic was real quality, although it doesn't seem right to include loan keepers.

Richard Wright: if only he had stayed!
Memories of Paulie Cooper on 09:37 - Jun 7 with 2594 viewsJimmyJazz

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 22:35 - Jun 5 by Burwell_Blue

A memory from my very first match at PR was some wag shouting “get back in your kennel Cooper” as he dared venture out of his area.

Always stuck with me that has.

Just shows, we've always had numbskulls following us

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Memories of Paulie Cooper on 09:46 - Jun 7 with 2590 viewsMarkP1

personally thought he was a great keeper. He saved 2 penalties in the first game I saw at PR against Derby
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024