Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM 10:17 - Jun 7 with 4700 viewsNo9

or has he finally realised that tory polciies since 2010, if continued may well cause a number of serious domestic issues that will create even more problems for the party?

This should concern every right minded individual -
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/food-banks-uk-how-many-people-ad

The high street business troubles don't go away - HoF now
https://news.sky.com/story/house-of-fraser-aims-to-cut-6000-jobs-in-rescue-plan-

Is it this that is causing Mr Goves concerns or is he just out to usurp his rivals?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/michael-gove-capitalism-crony-reform_uk_5

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 10:54 - Jun 7 with 3641 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting points that you raise on issues that occurred in the aftermath of Labour bankrupting the country, however;

1. Food banks:

Yes, it is bad that some people have to use them. But how accurate is the story they tell? Are ALL the people who use food banks genuine, or does a proportion of them just fancy some free shopping.

2. Retail:

There are major changes happening in how retailers operate, mainly down to the internet. Most of the retailers who are going into CVA's are doing so because they are poorly run, and crucially they are underinvested, HoF is in trouble because it is a poor, outdated retail offer, not because of government policy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 10:58 - Jun 7 with 3635 viewsfactual_blue

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 10:54 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Interesting points that you raise on issues that occurred in the aftermath of Labour bankrupting the country, however;

1. Food banks:

Yes, it is bad that some people have to use them. But how accurate is the story they tell? Are ALL the people who use food banks genuine, or does a proportion of them just fancy some free shopping.

2. Retail:

There are major changes happening in how retailers operate, mainly down to the internet. Most of the retailers who are going into CVA's are doing so because they are poorly run, and crucially they are underinvested, HoF is in trouble because it is a poor, outdated retail offer, not because of government policy.

1. Labour didn't bankrupt the country.

2. You can't just rock up at a food bank for 'free food' - you have to be referred. Most of the referrals relate to benefit issues, and in particular benefit sanctions and the waiting period for UC. If you had a family, no savings and suddenly no prospect of income for ten weeks, how would you manage?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:02 - Jun 7 with 3633 viewsNo9

1. Food banks:

2. Retail:

"Interesting points that you raise on issues that occurred in the aftermath of Labour bankrupting the country, however;"

If you still beleive that then you are not very well educated in recent British history.

Basically you are saying the charities are lieing.

There are two major issues facing retailers 1/ the public is hard up - see the Independent article - people who got o food banks don't have money to spend do they? 2/ The increases in business rates (government policy) has created serious cash flow problems for many retailers (how many collapses this year already?) internet sellers pay little or no business rates.

2 is all governemtn policy and you should recall the tories in opposition were goign to re-vitalise the high street instead, in government, they are killing it.

But the real issue for all businesses and football clubs is the falling levels of disposable income of the British public.

You are not a small businessman are you?
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:16 - Jun 7 with 3600 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:02 - Jun 7 by No9

"Interesting points that you raise on issues that occurred in the aftermath of Labour bankrupting the country, however;"

If you still beleive that then you are not very well educated in recent British history.

Basically you are saying the charities are lieing.

There are two major issues facing retailers 1/ the public is hard up - see the Independent article - people who got o food banks don't have money to spend do they? 2/ The increases in business rates (government policy) has created serious cash flow problems for many retailers (how many collapses this year already?) internet sellers pay little or no business rates.

2 is all governemtn policy and you should recall the tories in opposition were goign to re-vitalise the high street instead, in government, they are killing it.

But the real issue for all businesses and football clubs is the falling levels of disposable income of the British public.

You are not a small businessman are you?

1. I acknowledged the fact that desperate people use food banks, and its bad that they need to. I only suggested that some users will be doing it as it just makes sense to get food for free to save some cash. You really should read my posts properly, you might learn something.

2. Business rates are an issue for operators, as is living wage etc. But the retailer failures are not due to business rates in the main. Have you studied whether the failed retailers had significant increases in Business Rates? Also Business rates are not a conservative policy.

I work in senior management at a medium - large private business, so I do understand the pressures of the economy. I also understand that its not all down to the tories.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:18 - Jun 7 with 3595 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 10:58 - Jun 7 by factual_blue

1. Labour didn't bankrupt the country.

2. You can't just rock up at a food bank for 'free food' - you have to be referred. Most of the referrals relate to benefit issues, and in particular benefit sanctions and the waiting period for UC. If you had a family, no savings and suddenly no prospect of income for ten weeks, how would you manage?

I dont doubt that foodbanks are useful, and many users are genuine. I just suggested that some people may not be quite so genuine.

Thats all. ;-)

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:23 - Jun 7 with 3587 viewsNo9

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:16 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

1. I acknowledged the fact that desperate people use food banks, and its bad that they need to. I only suggested that some users will be doing it as it just makes sense to get food for free to save some cash. You really should read my posts properly, you might learn something.

2. Business rates are an issue for operators, as is living wage etc. But the retailer failures are not due to business rates in the main. Have you studied whether the failed retailers had significant increases in Business Rates? Also Business rates are not a conservative policy.

I work in senior management at a medium - large private business, so I do understand the pressures of the economy. I also understand that its not all down to the tories.

Your 1/ is totally incorrect, you can't just rock up at a food bank for a freebie.

Your 2/ doesn't take into account the public don't have sufficient disposable income to keep retailers afloat - too many are goign to the wall to be purely bad management althiugh I do acknowledge it plays a part.

Business rates are very mcuh part of the tories current polciies which is why they increased them substantially.

If you are in managment you should have seen that tory policies are creatign most of todays problems for the populatiom who are largely in the low & very low paid group's. Polcies relative to these low wages, rent controls and lending are all within government control and are the root cause of many issues
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:29 - Jun 7 with 3582 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:23 - Jun 7 by No9

Your 1/ is totally incorrect, you can't just rock up at a food bank for a freebie.

Your 2/ doesn't take into account the public don't have sufficient disposable income to keep retailers afloat - too many are goign to the wall to be purely bad management althiugh I do acknowledge it plays a part.

Business rates are very mcuh part of the tories current polciies which is why they increased them substantially.

If you are in managment you should have seen that tory policies are creatign most of todays problems for the populatiom who are largely in the low & very low paid group's. Polcies relative to these low wages, rent controls and lending are all within government control and are the root cause of many issues

1. Interesting, you dont think that people find a way around the system. Naive to say the least.

2. I agree, there is pressure on income, but name me a retailer / leisure operator that has had a CVA this year that was well operated and well invested? Its a competitive world.

I voted Tory the last couple of times, because I didnt like the alternative. But to be honest, I dont rate any of the political parties. Its a real pity that Labour are a piss poor opposition party.

The time is nigh for a new Macron type movement. Unfortunately there isnt an obvious contender.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:44 - Jun 7 with 3568 viewshomer_123

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:23 - Jun 7 by No9

Just on point 2.

Your point about disposable income (see the links below), that illustrate the move away from the high street to online spending. This has been happening for years and it's something that High Street retailers are struggling to deal with. It's not primarily down to a drop in disposable income as the UK continues to increase it's spending online. So you are incorrect here.

The main issue for High Street retailers are rent and rates. Rent being the primary problem. Note how many retailers have looked to landlords to reduce rent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/08/online-retail-booms-high-street-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39655039

Go back a few years and the issue for the High Street was 'Out of Town' shopping....the Internet and Online shopping is simply continuing the trend. It isn't an issue with disposable income.

See the ONS study here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances

This shows that for the year ending 2017 disposable income was up 2.3% on the previous year (after accounting for inflation and household composition).

also

Between FYE 2016 and FYE 2017, both retired and non-retired households have seen increases in their median disposable incomes, though the growth has been larger for non-retired households (3.5%) than for retired households (1.2%).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:47 - Jun 7 with 3557 viewsgrimboy

If Tories want to win the next election they should put Rees Mogg as the next leader easy as.
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:48 - Jun 7 with 3554 viewsNo9

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:29 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

1. Interesting, you dont think that people find a way around the system. Naive to say the least.

2. I agree, there is pressure on income, but name me a retailer / leisure operator that has had a CVA this year that was well operated and well invested? Its a competitive world.

I voted Tory the last couple of times, because I didnt like the alternative. But to be honest, I dont rate any of the political parties. Its a real pity that Labour are a piss poor opposition party.

The time is nigh for a new Macron type movement. Unfortunately there isnt an obvious contender.

Your 1/ - you don't believe what the charities say, you think they are liars, can you provide any evidence to show JFR or TT are doing that?

Your 2/ - was/is it necessary for a government to make large increases to business rates for the small retailer, often family businesses who rely on the low paid for custom at the same time giving large tax payer funded hand-outs to the likes of Amazon in terms of facilities, infrastructure (& questionable tax deals)?

History shows you that tory governmetns actively work to damage the poor and do nothing for SME's

What have you studdied about labours policies ? Cameron deliberately had a referendum on the EU & in the way he did to make it very difficult for anyone to make a serious challenge to 'the will of the people' that move was planned decades ago
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:55 - Jun 7 with 3542 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:48 - Jun 7 by No9

Your 1/ - you don't believe what the charities say, you think they are liars, can you provide any evidence to show JFR or TT are doing that?

Your 2/ - was/is it necessary for a government to make large increases to business rates for the small retailer, often family businesses who rely on the low paid for custom at the same time giving large tax payer funded hand-outs to the likes of Amazon in terms of facilities, infrastructure (& questionable tax deals)?

History shows you that tory governmetns actively work to damage the poor and do nothing for SME's

What have you studdied about labours policies ? Cameron deliberately had a referendum on the EU & in the way he did to make it very difficult for anyone to make a serious challenge to 'the will of the people' that move was planned decades ago

1. Oh dear, I clearly didnt say that. As I have repeatedly pointed out. I dont know what else to say on this point.

2. You previously used the CVA's of large businesses as an example, now you are using small businesses. The two are very distinct. I dont deny that its a difficult climate. I'm sure youre well aware that large corporates will always be courted by governements due to the employment benefits etc that they bring.

Labour have a very poor leader who tries (and fails) to bribe his way into power, and he failed to win an election against one of the poorest governments in living memory. That speaks for itself of what a shambles they are. On the flip side, I 100% believe that had David Miliband been voted as leader of the party, they would now be in power. Ah well.

re Brexit..... Corbyn is almost as much to blame as Cameron. If he actually fought for remain, then the vote may have swung the other way. Unfortunately he didnt have the balls, and is a brexiteer.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:56 - Jun 7 with 3537 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:44 - Jun 7 by homer_123

Just on point 2.

Your point about disposable income (see the links below), that illustrate the move away from the high street to online spending. This has been happening for years and it's something that High Street retailers are struggling to deal with. It's not primarily down to a drop in disposable income as the UK continues to increase it's spending online. So you are incorrect here.

The main issue for High Street retailers are rent and rates. Rent being the primary problem. Note how many retailers have looked to landlords to reduce rent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/08/online-retail-booms-high-street-

Go back a few years and the issue for the High Street was 'Out of Town' shopping....the Internet and Online shopping is simply continuing the trend. It isn't an issue with disposable income.

See the ONS study here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances

This shows that for the year ending 2017 disposable income was up 2.3% on the previous year (after accounting for inflation and household composition).

also

Between FYE 2016 and FYE 2017, both retired and non-retired households have seen increases in their median disposable incomes, though the growth has been larger for non-retired households (3.5%) than for retired households (1.2%).

Well said.

But that doesnt suit No9's agenda.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:10 - Jun 7 with 3516 viewsjaykay

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 11:29 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

your number 1. these are poor people,not business men who know how to work systems
times ive seen that on here tories saying we have a piss poor opposition so i cant vote for them.
who says labour are piss poor,the sun and the mail etc. its not football its like snooker if you not at the table there's nothing you can do. so please explain where labour are poor as well as the other opposition parties. you can leave out gb past smears out

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:12 - Jun 7 with 3509 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:10 - Jun 7 by jaykay

your number 1. these are poor people,not business men who know how to work systems
times ive seen that on here tories saying we have a piss poor opposition so i cant vote for them.
who says labour are piss poor,the sun and the mail etc. its not football its like snooker if you not at the table there's nothing you can do. so please explain where labour are poor as well as the other opposition parties. you can leave out gb past smears out

Lol. How partonising to 'poor' people that they cant work around a system. i'll leave that one there.

labour have proven to be poor opposition, They failed to beat an extremely poor Tory campaign, despite all the bribes they offered. It was such a weak performance. What more proof do you need.

I would love to see a strong opposition. Unfortunately there isnt one.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:15 - Jun 7 with 3505 viewsmrshallisfit

1. Food banks:

2. Retail:

The comment about food banks just shows how clueless you are.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 12:18]
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:21 - Jun 7 with 3486 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:15 - Jun 7 by mrshallisfit

The comment about food banks just shows how clueless you are.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 12:18]

So you don't think that ANYONE abuses the system??

To clarify, AGAIN, I dont doubt that food banks are necessary and the majority of users are in desperate need. I just suggested there would be some abuse of the system.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:27 - Jun 7 with 3483 viewsNo9

Just on point 2.

also

These are the UK tax thresholds-

Taxable Income Tax Rate (Band) Tax Rate
Up to £11,850 Personal allowance 0%
£11,851 to £46,350 Basic rate 20%
£46,351 to £150,000 Higher rate 40%
Over £150,000 Additional rate 45%

You should see that the majority of the Uk public are in either the low paid or very low paid bracket.
You should also be aware that since 2008 the UkK has had the lowest pay increases in the industrialised workld - Greece excepted.
This has led to the UK having the highest levels of houswehold debt in the industrialised world
Much of the poverty is caused not only by low wages but by high rents, council tax, utilities and transport.
The average wage is still said to be circa £27k it has been that for a number of years while property prices have soared average over £200k the housing charities state it will take 19 years for the average Joe to be able to save a deposit for the average house.
I know this goernment believe that pensioners are wealthy as I was at a conference where the then PM's policy advisor told the meetign to - gnore young people they don't have any money, it is the pensioners who are rich and they are who you should target.
As a (now) pensioner I can say he is wrong accordingly I don't beleive your last paragraph = from experience
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:39 - Jun 7 with 3466 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:27 - Jun 7 by No9

You should see that the majority of the Uk public are in either the low paid or very low paid bracket.
You should also be aware that since 2008 the UkK has had the lowest pay increases in the industrialised workld - Greece excepted.
This has led to the UK having the highest levels of houswehold debt in the industrialised world
Much of the poverty is caused not only by low wages but by high rents, council tax, utilities and transport.
The average wage is still said to be circa £27k it has been that for a number of years while property prices have soared average over £200k the housing charities state it will take 19 years for the average Joe to be able to save a deposit for the average house.
I know this goernment believe that pensioners are wealthy as I was at a conference where the then PM's policy advisor told the meetign to - gnore young people they don't have any money, it is the pensioners who are rich and they are who you should target.
As a (now) pensioner I can say he is wrong accordingly I don't beleive your last paragraph = from experience

The reliance on the pensioner vote will be the undoing of the Tories.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 13:28 - Jun 7 with 3434 viewshomer_123

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:27 - Jun 7 by No9

You should see that the majority of the UK public are in either the low paid or very low paid bracket.

Incorrect: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-tota

Yes, real wages has dropped, agree with you there on your second point.

Your third point is already accounted for in the calculations I provided about disposable income and therefore is moot for the purposes of this discussion

What's property got to do with disposable income, which was your OP about High Street spending at al?

Finally, are you refuting the ONS findings based on just your sole personal experience?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 13:48 - Jun 7 with 3407 viewsElderGrizzly

Just on point 2.

also

I'll save Fred a response:

"But Maggie......."
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 13:56 - Jun 7 with 3391 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 13:28 - Jun 7 by homer_123

You should see that the majority of the UK public are in either the low paid or very low paid bracket.

Incorrect: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-tota

Your third point is already accounted for in the calculations I provided about disposable income and therefore is moot for the purposes of this discussion

What's property got to do with disposable income, which was your OP about High Street spending at al?

Finally, are you refuting the ONS findings based on just your sole personal experience?

Property Prices? - No9 changes is agenda throughout a thread, its very hard to have a 'discussion' with him.

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 14:00 - Jun 7 with 3384 viewsBlueNomad

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:21 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

So you don't think that ANYONE abuses the system??

To clarify, AGAIN, I dont doubt that food banks are necessary and the majority of users are in desperate need. I just suggested there would be some abuse of the system.

There is abuse of every system. Why make a point of bringing up what might be a very small minority in order to make a point? There are banks, corporations and companies who also abuse "the system" but that doesn't mean they are all corrupt.

You made a bad point badly.
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 14:29 - Jun 7 with 3373 viewsDurovigutum

1. Food banks:

2. Retail:

I am heavily involved with the running of a Foodbank.

There are about 5% of people in our centre that take the biscuit. They tour around the area and are known, so generally get given the near date stuff. They still have vouchers issued by the refering agencies however. That 5% figure is supposed to match the benefit "take the biscuit" figure. Food parcels are three days emergency supply, perhaps £30-35 in value? A day trip on a bus (coz they're rubbish too) for a £30 food parcel? You must be in need...

The stories of people being let down by the system are truly heartbreaking. Professional couple, married, good jobs, baby arrives, partner suffers stroke out of nowhere, benefits completely messed up, good savings pot used, family and friends run out of money supporting, turn to Foodbank as a last resort. Our local MP (Tory) doesn't even want to turn up to see a foodbank as he thinks they are making it all up. Ivory towers comments from the Foodbank"deniers", like many of the other problems real people face that rich people don't, and I speak as someone without money pressures.
Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 16:57 - Jun 7 with 3327 viewsjaykay

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 12:12 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lol. How partonising to 'poor' people that they cant work around a system. i'll leave that one there.

labour have proven to be poor opposition, They failed to beat an extremely poor Tory campaign, despite all the bribes they offered. It was such a weak performance. What more proof do you need.

I would love to see a strong opposition. Unfortunately there isnt one.

wheres is your proof just your words. again a weak performance rubbish .how many polls got it right.
maybe it was worded wrong but poor people dont have financial advisers to work the system is what i was getting at. like business people do .

tractorboyjames is it possible for you to offer anything in any debate apart from up and down arrows

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 17:13 - Jun 7 with 3318 viewsNo9

Is Mr Gove making a play to be PM on 13:28 - Jun 7 by homer_123

Currently there is a disagreement between a number or organisations including charities that are contradictory.
The tax threasholds are from the government. If the majority aren't low or very low paid why isnt the national average higher?
Property prices have everythign to do with peoples disposable income unless you take the total wage less statutory deductions as disposable income.

If people don't have money they can't spend it without getting into debt the levels of debt in the UK are now, according to charities and the BoE dangerously high.

I know a lot of pensioners who are not in the catagory you beleive them to be

Are you doubting the honesty of charities also? But please tell me how someone on the average East Anglian wage of circa £20k can afford a £200k house ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024