Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 12:52 - Jun 7 with 4632 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Was listening to the radio the other day, there was talk about JW Henry seeking more of the overseas TV cash for Liverpool.

One pundit said that if the big 4 (or maybe 6) dont get what they want, then they would eventually leave the Prem and go to a European Super League.

From my point of view, I really couldnt care less if they did. I dont think it would harm our game, it might even do it some good.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

European Super League on 12:53 - Jun 7 with 4615 viewsCaptainObvious

It already exists doesn't it?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

European Super League on 12:55 - Jun 7 with 4602 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European Super League on 12:53 - Jun 7 by CaptainObvious

No.

The champions league runs in parallel to the domestic leagues, and again the big clubs have to share their cash with lesser clubs.

I assume the purpose of a Euorpean Super League would be that the members would leave their domestic leagues and set up a c.20 team league of the 'elite' clubs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

European Super League on 12:55 - Jun 7 with 4600 viewsJ2BLUE

How anyone could look at this and think it won't harm our game amazes me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

European Super League on 12:57 - Jun 7 with 4601 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European Super League on 12:55 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

How would it harm our game?

It depends what you want as a football fan.

The teams would leave, we would miss them for a season, and then a new equilibrium would be found.

The domestic league would see less of the worlds top names.... so what?

Some of Englands top players would go to the Super League.... so what?

We would still end up re-adjusting and having a competitive 92 teams football league.

European Super League on 13:13 - Jun 7 with 4569 viewsStenvict

European Super League on 12:57 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

How would it harm our game?

It depends what you want as a football fan.

The teams would leave, we would miss them for a season, and then a new equilibrium would be found.

The domestic league would see less of the worlds top names.... so what?

Some of Englands top players would go to the Super League.... so what?

We would still end up re-adjusting and having a competitive 92 teams football league.

Some small teams like the opportunity to have a big day out at one of the big clubs in the cup competitions.

Who's to say that if they got rid of the Top 6, there wouldn't be another club that all of a sudden get a massive investment like Citeh and become 'too good' for the new league?

Poll: What will be announced first?

European Super League on 13:14 - Jun 7 with 4558 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European Super League on 13:13 - Jun 7 by Stenvict

Some small teams like the opportunity to have a big day out at one of the big clubs in the cup competitions.

Who's to say that if they got rid of the Top 6, there wouldn't be another club that all of a sudden get a massive investment like Citeh and become 'too good' for the new league?

The other clubs would inevitably become 'bigger'.

Thats not a problem.

European Super League on 14:00 - Jun 7 with 4512 viewsPendejo

As long as there's an promotion and relegation I am all for it.

European Premier League - 20 teams 3 get relegated
Top 2 from England, Germany, Italy & Spain, Champions of Belgium, France, Holland & Portugal. Remaining 8 by way of qualifying competition involving the other teams that would normally have qualified for CL via an end of season tournament like Euros of World Cup

European sub-premier league - 20 teams 3 up 17, yes, 17 drop back into National Leagues.
The 20 best of the rest from above qualifying competition.

Qualification as above for first season, thereafter qualification tournament to settle places in sub-prem.

Champs League to have 4 English champions ( Prem, champ 1 & 2 - this giving the likes of Macclesfield the opportunity of European football)

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

European Super League on 14:01 - Jun 7 with 4515 viewsVaughan8

They would soon all get fed up with playing the same teams all the time. They probably wouldn't have much promotion/relegation if any.

Even some of the Champions League games are no longer novelties, they play each other every other year.

Do you really think Liverpool wouldn't want to play Everton (who surely wouldn't get in a European league?)

One thing it would do is make the English top league a little more competitive. Imagine if the top 6 weren't there, the league would be pretty close.

EDIT: I know this includes results against the top 6 but 7th had 54 points, bottom had 31 so only 23 points difference.

1st to 7th had 46 points difference...……..Even if you exclude Man City, man Utd had 81 points so that's 27 points to 7th. The league is effectively split in 2 anyway!
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 14:05]
Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 14:02 - Jun 7 with 4509 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European Super League on 14:00 - Jun 7 by Pendejo

As long as there's an promotion and relegation I am all for it.

European Premier League - 20 teams 3 get relegated
Top 2 from England, Germany, Italy & Spain, Champions of Belgium, France, Holland & Portugal. Remaining 8 by way of qualifying competition involving the other teams that would normally have qualified for CL via an end of season tournament like Euros of World Cup

European sub-premier league - 20 teams 3 up 17, yes, 17 drop back into National Leagues.
The 20 best of the rest from above qualifying competition.

Qualification as above for first season, thereafter qualification tournament to settle places in sub-prem.

Champs League to have 4 English champions ( Prem, champ 1 & 2 - this giving the likes of Macclesfield the opportunity of European football)

I dont think promotion / relegation forms any part of the plan.

European Super League on 14:03 - Jun 7 with 4510 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European Super League on 14:01 - Jun 7 by Vaughan8

They would soon all get fed up with playing the same teams all the time. They probably wouldn't have much promotion/relegation if any.

Even some of the Champions League games are no longer novelties, they play each other every other year.

Do you really think Liverpool wouldn't want to play Everton (who surely wouldn't get in a European league?)

One thing it would do is make the English top league a little more competitive. Imagine if the top 6 weren't there, the league would be pretty close.

EDIT: I know this includes results against the top 6 but 7th had 54 points, bottom had 31 so only 23 points difference.

1st to 7th had 46 points difference...……..Even if you exclude Man City, man Utd had 81 points so that's 27 points to 7th. The league is effectively split in 2 anyway!

I think Liverpool fans would want to play Everton. I dont think the owners would care.

Liverpool would still have their main derby v Man Utd to look forward too.

European Super League on 14:06 - Jun 7 with 4486 viewsSpruceMoose

European Super League on 12:55 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

How anyone could look at this and think it won't happen eventually amazes me.

The only small delight it will bring is the Scottish cries when Celtic and Rangers don't make the cut.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

European Super League on 14:06 - Jun 7 with 4482 viewsJimmyJazz

European Super League on 13:13 - Jun 7 by Stenvict

There would probably be some team in that 20 elite who were consistently poor, so they would somehow be swapped out for the newly minted team

Although another Citeh would be difficult because their top players would be snapped up by the elite top 20

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

European Super League on 14:12 - Jun 7 with 4463 viewsSlambo

With all the filthy lucre they'd be making they'd soon get over the fact that they were playing the same teams every year..! The Nu-Fans over in Asia would absolutely love seeing the big, glamourous clubs playing each other, and only each other, over and over again, til the end of time...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

European Super League on 14:14 - Jun 7 with 4451 viewsSpruceMoose

European Super League on 14:12 - Jun 7 by Slambo

With all the filthy lucre they'd be making they'd soon get over the fact that they were playing the same teams every year..! The Nu-Fans over in Asia would absolutely love seeing the big, glamourous clubs playing each other, and only each other, over and over again, til the end of time...

Indeed. Doesn't seem to bother Celtic that they play the same old crud teams year in year out and win the league every.single.year.

It's easy to kid themselves that they are a big team under those conditions. A trained chimp could manage Celtic to the league title next year.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

European Super League on 14:18 - Jun 7 with 4446 viewsVaughan8

European Super League on 14:12 - Jun 7 by Slambo

I know. Its all about money which surely this would be the beginning of the end for some of the fans though? These clubs would lose a bit of their core fans in this country, not that they will be bothered if they gain an extra few million elsewhere.

I'm sure it will happen one day unfortunately.
European Super League on 14:21 - Jun 7 with 4441 viewsSpruceMoose

European Super League on 14:18 - Jun 7 by Vaughan8

I know. Its all about money which surely this would be the beginning of the end for some of the fans though? These clubs would lose a bit of their core fans in this country, not that they will be bothered if they gain an extra few million elsewhere.

I'm sure it will happen one day unfortunately.

The traditional fan is now being replaced by the 'select-a-team' fan in the Middle East, Africa and Asia. That's where the real market is for clubs.

Why do you think that Man City have all these 'seed' clubs all over the world. It's more about being a brand.

City couldn't give a monkeys if their support within the city of Manchester falls away. There's enough overseas money to plunder, and enough match day tourists to keep the ground full. They'd rather see a kid in a City shirt in Dubai than in Deansgate.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 14:23]

European Super League on 14:25 - Jun 7 with 4427 viewsRadlett_blue

Top level football these days is all about money & most of that comes from TV & associated sponsorship. Yes, some neutrals & purists would get bored of the big clubs constantly playing each other, but as long as the TV crowd tuned in - and many more watch Man U v Liverpool than Man U v Brighton - the money would keep rolling in.
I think it will definitely happen, but the threat is regularly used by the elite to change the format of the CL or get more of the TV money so right now, the big boys are happy to pick up the CL money as well as their lucrative domestic league money & the elite can afford the squads to cope with both competitions.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

European Super League on 15:17 - Jun 7 with 4381 viewsrickw

I think it will happen one day but hopefully not soon.

It would be very harmfull to our game - people around the world only want to watch the top level, which would result in the super league clubs having their income tripled and the remaining premier league clubs having theirs cut by probably 3/4. (Sky make their money especially internationally on matches like Man Utd vs Liverpool, not Burnley vs Huddersfield...)

This would probably result in most Premier league teams having real financial difficulties and the super league squads having 60+ players all on far more money than we could afford...

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

European Super League on 16:09 - Jun 7 with 4334 viewsSlambo

Personally, i'd love the Sky Cartel to foxtrot oscar over to a European Super League.

THEN the remaining Premier League could be reabsorbed into the EFL and the FA could take back charge of the entirety of English football...

THEN the FA could strike whatever deals with whatever TV broadcasters for rights to show DIVISION 1, 2, 3 and 4 football, with revenue being more fairly distributed throughout the pyramid...

THEN the FA could implement greater financial controls on clubs, specifically (but not exclusively) salary caps, maximum squad size, abolition of the loathsome EPPP system and fan representation on every club's board..

THEN the FA could bring back terracing, being able to drink booze in view of the pitch and make it law that every ground has to offer a percentage of tickets that are affordable to the poorest members of society...

THEN there would be great rejoicing in all of Footballdom...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

European Super League on 16:28 - Jun 7 with 4323 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd be happy with it, however it seems like a fairly empty threat to me. For it to work out for them they would have to persuade top clubs from the rest of Europe and that's no certainty.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

European Super League on 17:06 - Jun 7 with 4303 viewsstrikalite

European Super League on 16:28 - Jun 7 by GeoffSentence

I'd be happy with it, however it seems like a fairly empty threat to me. For it to work out for them they would have to persuade top clubs from the rest of Europe and that's no certainty.

Who would be in, City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea obviously, but what about Spurs with their nice new ground? Arsenal? That's six, how many now from Spain? Germany? Italy? Two from each arguably, will they agree to that seeing there will be possibly six from the England? Would it matter to them?

Though I have been saying for a long time to people that a super league has to come, as said the world only wants to see the big boys on show..
European Super League on 18:14 - Jun 7 with 4248 viewsEastTownBlue

European Super League on 12:53 - Jun 7 by CaptainObvious

I always thought that was the reason behind the Champions League - to prevent a “super league”.
European Super League on 18:27 - Jun 7 with 4227 viewsPendejo

European Super League on 14:02 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think promotion / relegation forms any part of the plan.

I fear you are correct

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

European Super League on 18:44 - Jun 7 with 4172 viewsrickw

European Super League on 18:14 - Jun 7 by EastTownBlue

I always thought that was the reason behind the Champions League - to prevent a “super league”.

It was, however whenever UEFA / FIFA upset the big clubs they threaten to leave them and form their own league

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024