Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight 23:05 - Jun 7 with 4435 viewspatrickswell

I really enjoyed it. The Ipswich stuff was well known of course, but always nice to see us winning cups in CinemaScope. Also felt stupidly proud at the shot of McGoldrick, Ward and Sears shaking Mark Robson’s hand when he was guest of honour for the Newcastle game.

Found the stuff about his year at Barcelona very compelling - I knew nothing about that bonkers Copa del Rey tie with Athletico Madrid - and was inwardly punching the air for Bobby that just as the Louis Van Gaal shaped vultures were circling, his team pulled out a stunning comeback - engineered partly by him making a bold double sub at 3-0 down.

The England stuff reminds you that with a shade more luck it would be Ipswich 2 Rest of the World 0 on the global stage.

“I left a beautiful job, surrounded by beautiful people to try and win the World Cup” - that’s our club he’s talking about, folks.

Of all the talking heads, Gazza moved me the most when he said, “I felt safe with Mr. Robson. Safer than I felt with anyone else.” and he came up with the title too. But leave it dear old Jose to come up with a perfect summary, “A person is only dead, when the last person who loved them dies”. Bobby Robson will live on for decades to come.

See it.
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 08:41 - Jun 8 with 4281 viewsfergalsharkey

I have, you can get it on Amazon tv for a tenner and its worth every penny if you are a football fan of any kind.
#legend.

Poll: Cook out?

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 12:52 - Jun 8 with 4209 viewsTLA

I watched it last night and have repeated the same quotes you've posted to anyone who'll listen.

Gazza's words about feeling safe with Sir Bobby really got to me - he clearly isn't an angel but he's needed that kind of guidance throughout his life and, for a while, he had it. The relationship those two men had was amazing.

Great post!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 14:57]
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 13:14 - Jun 8 with 4186 viewscrazyblue68

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 12:52 - Jun 8 by TLA

I watched it last night and have repeated the same quotes you've posted to anyone who'll listen.

Gazza's words about feeling safe with Sir Bobby really got to me - he clearly isn't an angel but he's needed that kind of guidance throughout his life and, for a while, he had it. The relationship those two men had was amazing.

Great post!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 14:57]

l have it on dvd to watch tomorrow when the other half is at work. Am looking forward to seeing it, after all the comments about it on here over the last few days.
even your post is giving me goosebumps on 13:18 - Jun 8 with 4181 viewsDyland

Can't wait to see it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 14:45 - Jun 8 with 4125 viewsMVBlue

I bought it on Google Play after the chap on here posted about it.
What a documentary for an Ipswich fan. Indeed the Barcelona season was very interesting, not going to spoil it for anyone with events, but what a team:

13 Spain GK Carles Busquets
24 Portugal DF Fernando Couto
15 France DF Laurent Blanc
20 Spain DF Miguel Ángel Nadal
4 Spain MF Josep Guardiola
5 Romania MF Gheorghe Popescu
7 Portugal MF Luís Figo
10 Brazil MF Giovanni
21 Spain MF Luis Enrique
8 Bulgaria FW Hristo Stoichkov
9 Brazil FW Ronaldo

TBH a lot of this doco made me tear up :'( Bobby is so well thought of.

The legacy he leaves is ubelievable, even now in 2018 the top two club managers were in that Barcelona side with Boby Robson, Pep and Jose, one as assistant coach, and they both feature heavily in the film.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 14:48]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 16:55 - Jun 8 with 4072 viewsnshearman1

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 14:45 - Jun 8 by MVBlue

I bought it on Google Play after the chap on here posted about it.
What a documentary for an Ipswich fan. Indeed the Barcelona season was very interesting, not going to spoil it for anyone with events, but what a team:

13 Spain GK Carles Busquets
24 Portugal DF Fernando Couto
15 France DF Laurent Blanc
20 Spain DF Miguel Ángel Nadal
4 Spain MF Josep Guardiola
5 Romania MF Gheorghe Popescu
7 Portugal MF Luís Figo
10 Brazil MF Giovanni
21 Spain MF Luis Enrique
8 Bulgaria FW Hristo Stoichkov
9 Brazil FW Ronaldo

TBH a lot of this doco made me tear up :'( Bobby is so well thought of.

The legacy he leaves is ubelievable, even now in 2018 the top two club managers were in that Barcelona side with Boby Robson, Pep and Jose, one as assistant coach, and they both feature heavily in the film.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 14:48]

Totally agreed, just watched my DVD which arrived today. The Town years are a bit skated over and it employs a complicated narrative structure which can make it feel a tad disjointed at times, but that dotting about gets abandoned in the final third of the film, it settles down beautifully and is very very moving. The footage of Ronaldo, Guardiola and Shearer is fab. Sir Bobby was a god.
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 20:04 - Jun 8 with 4006 viewsnshearman1

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 16:55 - Jun 8 by nshearman1

Totally agreed, just watched my DVD which arrived today. The Town years are a bit skated over and it employs a complicated narrative structure which can make it feel a tad disjointed at times, but that dotting about gets abandoned in the final third of the film, it settles down beautifully and is very very moving. The footage of Ronaldo, Guardiola and Shearer is fab. Sir Bobby was a god.

Also loved the bit early on when Sir Bobby is sending the Town boys out with last words of wisdom & Viljoen is behind him checking his hair and face in the mirror!
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 20:19 - Jun 8 with 3986 viewsWD19

Where did you watch it patrickswell?

I too watched it last night in a tiny little cinema screen in Bloomsbury. Only about 10 people there, but it was fantastic.
Login to get fewer ads

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 22:37 - Jun 8 with 3935 viewspatrickswell

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 20:19 - Jun 8 by WD19

Where did you watch it patrickswell?

I too watched it last night in a tiny little cinema screen in Bloomsbury. Only about 10 people there, but it was fantastic.

Same screening. I was the bloke in the brown corduroy jacket in the second row. Came in during the trailers. Leave No Trace looks quite good doesn’t it.
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 23:08 - Jun 8 with 3913 viewsvilanovablue

Fantastic documentary, I just felt Ipswich were slightly underplayed. Hanging it on the year in Barcelona was quite smart...
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 23:23 - Jun 8 with 3908 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Fantastic film. Not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 23:36 - Jun 8 with 3893 viewspatrickswell

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 23:08 - Jun 8 by vilanovablue

Fantastic documentary, I just felt Ipswich were slightly underplayed. Hanging it on the year in Barcelona was quite smart...

I think the reason for us being underplayed was quite simple - and from the filmmakers point of view, understandable - a lack of dramatic tension. They were, as Bobby himself once said, the happiest years of his life. I thought there was some good footage and it was a lovely touch to come back for the Bobby Robson Day game with Newcastle with that brief but touching shot of Mark Robson shaking our players’ hands, which was a perfect counterpoint to the sequence of Lady Elsie taking her seat at St James’s Park.
The one area where they missed a trick with us was not including any mention of John Cobbold’s support of Bobby after the League Cup defeat to Man Utd in 1971. That encouraged Bobby to work even harder to bring success to the Cobbolds and the club and played a part in him rejecting overtures that were made to him by bigger clubs than us through the 70s and early 80s. I also think that the memory of Mr.John may have been what inspired Bobby to turn down Newcastle when they first approached him, given that he felt he had a job to do at Barca and had been promised by their president that his job was safe. Naive thinking in the boardrooms of Spanish football perhaps, but planted in the boardroom at Suffolk. Even Mourhino alluded to Bobby passing on the Cobbold mantra of “By losing today, we have given someone else the pleasure of winning”. At least with Bobby, that clear-eyed perspective was balanced by the fact that it wouldn’t be too long before you could celebrate winning, and it would be all the more sweeter for the setbacks you had gone through.
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 00:49 - Jun 9 with 3853 viewsMVBlue

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 23:36 - Jun 8 by patrickswell

I think the reason for us being underplayed was quite simple - and from the filmmakers point of view, understandable - a lack of dramatic tension. They were, as Bobby himself once said, the happiest years of his life. I thought there was some good footage and it was a lovely touch to come back for the Bobby Robson Day game with Newcastle with that brief but touching shot of Mark Robson shaking our players’ hands, which was a perfect counterpoint to the sequence of Lady Elsie taking her seat at St James’s Park.
The one area where they missed a trick with us was not including any mention of John Cobbold’s support of Bobby after the League Cup defeat to Man Utd in 1971. That encouraged Bobby to work even harder to bring success to the Cobbolds and the club and played a part in him rejecting overtures that were made to him by bigger clubs than us through the 70s and early 80s. I also think that the memory of Mr.John may have been what inspired Bobby to turn down Newcastle when they first approached him, given that he felt he had a job to do at Barca and had been promised by their president that his job was safe. Naive thinking in the boardrooms of Spanish football perhaps, but planted in the boardroom at Suffolk. Even Mourhino alluded to Bobby passing on the Cobbold mantra of “By losing today, we have given someone else the pleasure of winning”. At least with Bobby, that clear-eyed perspective was balanced by the fact that it wouldn’t be too long before you could celebrate winning, and it would be all the more sweeter for the setbacks you had gone through.

Great post. I think this thread should stay current throughout the summer as more people see the documentary.

Im not ashamed to say, I only love football because of sir Bobby. My own father was indifferent to football. 1990 England so close, so passionate, world in motion, cemented my admiration of the beautiful game. I then realised I had a half decent team down the A12 and came to a few matches. The crowd, the spirit, I got hooked. Only after a couple of years did I realise, Bobby WAS the Ipswich manager that built the Pioneer stand and the previous long heritage. Previous managers are not a part of becoming a club fan. So full circle, my team, my passion, the greatest English manager. SIR BOBBY.

[Post edited 9 Jun 2018 20:37]

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 07:35 - Jun 9 with 3791 viewsWD19

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 22:37 - Jun 8 by patrickswell

Same screening. I was the bloke in the brown corduroy jacket in the second row. Came in during the trailers. Leave No Trace looks quite good doesn’t it.

Doh! My fat fingers on my phone downvoted this when I meant to upvote. I will make it up to you....and it was not a comment on the jacket....honest.
Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 15:29 - Jun 9 with 3718 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Atletico Madrid comeback was inspired by what AZ did to Town in Amsterdam.

He pushed 5 up front just like they had done in the second leg when all seemed lost. Once you peg a team back with those tactics they find it very hard to relieve the pressure.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 20:39 - Jun 9 with 3652 viewsMVBlue

Saw the Bobby Robson documentary at the cinema tonight on 15:29 - Jun 9 by The_Last_Baron

The Atletico Madrid comeback was inspired by what AZ did to Town in Amsterdam.

He pushed 5 up front just like they had done in the second leg when all seemed lost. Once you peg a team back with those tactics they find it very hard to relieve the pressure.

Great fact

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024