Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. 16:49 - Jun 8 with 7111 viewsJon_456

Why?

They would clearly only make SBR lower a safe standing area and I guess potentially one other part if successful and demand was there.

Can’t understand why anyone would be against an area which always stands anyway, to be made safer for them to do so.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 16:53 - Jun 8 with 5334 viewsSlambo

Yeah, that is pretty baffling. Still, that is 83% in favour - quite a clear mandate, i'd say...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 16:56 - Jun 8 with 5321 viewsJon_456

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 16:53 - Jun 8 by Slambo

Yeah, that is pretty baffling. Still, that is 83% in favour - quite a clear mandate, i'd say...

Agree, very positive.

I just can’t believe there’s nearly 1 in 5 people that don’t want to make it safer for supports to stand.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 16:58 - Jun 8 with 5315 viewsCoco

Maybe it’s the safe bit they don’t want.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 17:18 - Jun 8 with 5287 viewsSlambo

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 16:58 - Jun 8 by Coco

Maybe it’s the safe bit they don’t want.

Maybe. I would certainly rather a return to the old style terracing - I think those rail seats are considerably sh*tter than people realise. There was nothing wrong with old style terracing in principle, it just needed to be modified...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 18:24 - Jun 8 with 5204 viewsbournemouthblue

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 17:18 - Jun 8 by Slambo

Maybe. I would certainly rather a return to the old style terracing - I think those rail seats are considerably sh*tter than people realise. There was nothing wrong with old style terracing in principle, it just needed to be modified...

To have extra rails in, things like that?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 18:56 - Jun 8 with 5157 viewsBOjK

Maybe they currently sit in the SBR lower, with a group of people around them they’ve got to know and don’t want to either move or stand.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 19:03 - Jun 8 with 5142 viewsJon_456

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 18:56 - Jun 8 by BOjK

Maybe they currently sit in the SBR lower, with a group of people around them they’ve got to know and don’t want to either move or stand.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think there is anyone in the SBR lower who sit on their seat, so safe standing wouldn't change anything.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 19:51 - Jun 8 with 5092 viewsBasuco

My big fear is that a safe standing area would be quite small and would result in all other areas of SBR lower being a strictly enforced seated area. There is no way the entire SBR lower would be allowed to stand as they do now, if they wish.
Login to get fewer ads

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 19:53 - Jun 8 with 5088 viewsMattinLondon

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 19:51 - Jun 8 by Basuco

My big fear is that a safe standing area would be quite small and would result in all other areas of SBR lower being a strictly enforced seated area. There is no way the entire SBR lower would be allowed to stand as they do now, if they wish.

Why not?
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:07 - Jun 8 with 5062 viewsSwansea_Blue

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 17:18 - Jun 8 by Slambo

Nothing wrong with simple terracing at all. It would be impossible for a Hillsborough style event today as there are no pens. The recommendations and subsequent rules/laws coming out of the Taylor report are long overdue a complete overhaul.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:13 - Jun 8 with 5049 viewsronnyd

I much preferred going to games when the North Stand was all terracing. When we went to all seating football lost it,s soul.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:27 - Jun 8 with 5040 viewsITFC_Forever

I fully want safe-standing to be introduced at PR.... but it’s far from a foregone conclusion that it would be the SBRL that is converted.

The SBRL was specifically designed for seats, where as the Sir Alf Lower and Co-op Lower were parts of the stadium where seats we installed on top of the previously existing terracing.

And I can’t see ME going for something that will cost money, not until if / when we are promoted.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:40 - Jun 8 with 5019 viewsKievthegreat

Because they want money spent on the team as opposed to railings?
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:43 - Jun 8 with 5012 viewsfloridablue

I gave my vote a couple of weeks ago to MP Rosena Khans petition for safe standing areas in British stadiums and actually received a thank you email today saying its going to be debated in Parliament later this month. Explained to her that the safe standing end works well in Orlando Citys stadium Florida. Also said to her that i'm a guy now in my sixties that was raised on the old style standing terraces of English stadiums. Haven't watched an Orlando game and probably never will from that end but more or less every game i go to i end up leaving my seat and standing and watching from the concourse, where the bars are that circles the stadium with hundreds of others that don't go to their seats.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:46 - Jun 8 with 5011 viewsBurwell_Blue

Things I want in Football.

A) Standing
B) £1k a week maximum wage

Football is fooked
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:17 - Jun 8 with 4966 viewssparks

Suspect most of the 17 percent were around during the 80s and have a reasonable concern as a result

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:18 - Jun 8 with 4962 viewsSpruceMoose

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:46 - Jun 8 by Burwell_Blue

A) Standing

Football is fooked

C) Multi-ball

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:23 - Jun 8 with 4954 viewsITFC_Forever

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:17 - Jun 8 by sparks

Suspect most of the 17 percent were around during the 80s and have a reasonable concern as a result

What would that have to do with safe standing?

The rail seat style safe standing idea is nothing like the sprawling terraces of yesteryear.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:38 - Jun 8 with 4919 viewsJon_456

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:27 - Jun 8 by ITFC_Forever

I fully want safe-standing to be introduced at PR.... but it’s far from a foregone conclusion that it would be the SBRL that is converted.

The SBRL was specifically designed for seats, where as the Sir Alf Lower and Co-op Lower were parts of the stadium where seats we installed on top of the previously existing terracing.

And I can’t see ME going for something that will cost money, not until if / when we are promoted.

I don’t know the specifics of installation but I’m sure they’re installed exactly the same way as seats, so there would not need to be any additional work to be carried out. Simple case of remove seats and installing rail seats.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:47 - Jun 8 with 4913 viewsjas0999

I agree with you, but surely folk are entitled to their opinion, even if they disagree with us?
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:50 - Jun 8 with 4903 viewswkj

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:47 - Jun 8 by jas0999

I agree with you, but surely folk are entitled to their opinion, even if they disagree with us?

entitled and opinions; dangerous words on this forum

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:57 - Jun 8 with 4885 viewstcblue

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 20:46 - Jun 8 by Burwell_Blue

A) Standing

Football is fooked

Why does how much other people earn bother you?
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 22:22 - Jun 8 with 4845 viewsBurwell_Blue

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:57 - Jun 8 by tcblue

Why does how much other people earn bother you?

It doesn’t. Want it does do is impact on ticket prices for the man on the street.
17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 22:46 - Jun 8 with 4821 viewsNthsuffolkblue

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:23 - Jun 8 by ITFC_Forever

What would that have to do with safe standing?

The rail seat style safe standing idea is nothing like the sprawling terraces of yesteryear.

I can see both sides of this argument.

I suspect "safe standing" is significantly safer than the old terracing so I would not number myself among the 18%. However, I can understand anyone who saw what happened having reservations. Perhaps the 18% do not understand what "safe standing" actually is. Perhaps they cannot accept that it truly would be safe? Perhaps they have reservations over the likelihood for it to evolve into something else? Perhaps they have concerns over the future pricing that would result (terracing was always significantly cheaper than seating - will this become an excuse to increase the seating prices while keeping the small safe standing area at a lower price?). Without hearing what their actual concerns are it is difficult to be sure but I can see that a significant minority could easily have some grounds for concern.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 22:50 - Jun 8 with 4812 viewstextbackup

17.9% against safe standing at Portman Road. on 21:17 - Jun 8 by sparks

in which case they'll be old and sat in the other areas, so no concern to them

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024