Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? 09:19 - Jun 12 with 2277 viewsITFC_Forever

In our office, we're pretty evenly split.

Some think we'll only just make it out of the group (if at all), others genuinely seem to think we can get to the Semis / Final.

Given the group and who our likely Second Round and Quarter Final opponents would be, I personally think the Quarters will be par..... anything less would be under-achieving, anything more would be an over-achievement.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:23 - Jun 12 with 2261 viewsvapour_trail

Anyone who thinks we can get to the final must be on LSD.

Second round for me, quarters at a push, hopefully playing some decent stuff.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:25 - Jun 12 with 2254 viewsKieran_Knows

In agreement with yourself, I think we'll get to the quarters. Can't see us going any further than that (don't mean that in a downhearted way, just think we'll come undone against the better sides).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:29 - Jun 12 with 2241 viewschicoazul

We'll lose to the first good team we play, same as always. I have a strong feeling we will qualify from the group and Poland will do us (that's who we are going to play right..?).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:29 - Jun 12 with 2242 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I make that about right a reasonable possibility of the Quarter finals if we play well.

Of course, the thing about tournaments is momentum and confidence: win the group with seven points or nine and then build on that. There's normally at least one team that hits a bit of a run and out does all expectations.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:42 - Jun 12 with 2211 viewspoppiesman

I think we may actually surprise people. Quarter finals at least and who knows what might happen if we reach them.
Thing is there don't appear to be any teams that are dominating world football at the minute, so if the likes of Kane, Alli, Rashford click in the tournament, then I honestly believe we have as good a chance as any.
Nice to go into a World Cup without too much expectation, unlike with the previous so called world class players that failed to deliver on so many occasions.
How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:43 - Jun 12 with 2211 viewsbrazil1982

Second round minimum, if we fail at that stage again then something is seriously wrong.
Anything beyond second round is a massive bonus. I too think Poland will beat us at that stage.

I also imagine the "neutral" crowd to be against us in quite a vociferous manner.
How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:44 - Jun 12 with 2204 views26_Paz

Relatively respectable quarter final exit to Germany or Brazil for me.

The Paz Man

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:44 - Jun 12 with 2201 viewsvapour_trail

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:43 - Jun 12 by brazil1982

Second round minimum, if we fail at that stage again then something is seriously wrong.
Anything beyond second round is a massive bonus. I too think Poland will beat us at that stage.

I also imagine the "neutral" crowd to be against us in quite a vociferous manner.

Eh? Something is seriously wrong if we fail at the second round, but a massive bonus if we go through to the quarters. How does that work?

Login to get fewer ads

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:45 - Jun 12 with 2198 viewsbrazil1982

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:44 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

Eh? Something is seriously wrong if we fail at the second round, but a massive bonus if we go through to the quarters. How does that work?

Sorry, meant if we don't get through the group stage something is seriously wrong.
How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:47 - Jun 12 with 2192 viewsGlebeTractor

The way it falls, couldn't it be
Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Columbia, Germany?

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:50 - Jun 12 with 2186 viewsvapour_trail

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:45 - Jun 12 by brazil1982

Sorry, meant if we don't get through the group stage something is seriously wrong.

Ah yes, a group stage exit again would be a sorry state of affairs.

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:00 - Jun 12 with 2162 viewsitfcjoe

It's so hard to tell, tournament football means if you get a bit of luck you can go far - but I'd say anything less than the quarter finals is under par.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:03 - Jun 12 with 2151 viewsSitfcB

Head says we'll lose to Brazil in the quarters.

Heart says no reason why we can't go all the way!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:30 - Jun 12 with 2095 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Semi finals for me. Although Southgate isn't an unbelievable manager, I feel he has us playing with our own style. Having Walker at CB and playing 3 behind 1, I like it. I am optimistic.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:42 - Jun 12 with 2070 viewsSuperfrans

If we get out of the group, we'll play Poland, Senegal, Japan or Columbia, which I reckon we're likely to get through. So, QF (if we get out of the group).

But, in the quarters we could play Brazil or Germany. That said, if the cards fall for us it could be someone like Mexico, Costa Rica, S Korea, Sweden. If that's how it pans out, anything could happen.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:43 - Jun 12 with 2067 viewsDubtractor

We're going to win it.

on an unrelated note, I got England in our office sweepstake.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:45 - Jun 12 with 2060 viewsSuperfrans

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 09:29 - Jun 12 by Steve_M

Yes, I make that about right a reasonable possibility of the Quarter finals if we play well.

Of course, the thing about tournaments is momentum and confidence: win the group with seven points or nine and then build on that. There's normally at least one team that hits a bit of a run and out does all expectations.

How other teams do will make a massive difference. It's all about how the knockout draw falls for us (assuming we get out of the group, of course).

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:51 - Jun 12 with 2045 viewsFtnfwest

we'll stumble out of the group and maybe manage to beat one of the 4 teams mentioned below in the second round but that's the top limit of our ambition i would say. Quarter finals are not par, we are something like 15th ranked in the world (which is generous, we should be 20-25 i would say) but a 15th placed sides par is therefore the last 16.
We're 12th - just checked - still say second round is therefore par.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2018 10:53]
How do you expect England to get on in the World Cup? on 10:53 - Jun 12 with 2029 viewsTheSelkirk

I will be happy (ish) if we don't go out with a whimper - at least give it a good go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024