Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Expectations for Hurst next season.... 08:48 - Jun 13 with 3019 viewsitfcjoe

If we can keep players fit we've got a decent chance of achieving something.

Bear in mind we finished 12th last year and only got the following starts out of some of our players:

Chambers - 37 (When he has barely missed a game in his career)
Webster - 25
Bishop - 1
Garner - 29
Adeyemi - 4
Dozzell - 1
Huws - 3

The bottom 3 are the most important, and with a couple of well placed additions there is no reason we shouldn't be looking up the table rather than down

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 08:56 - Jun 13 with 2972 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd just like to see the players you mention (mainly Adeyemi, Dozzell, Bishop and Huws) get back to full fitness to give Hurst plenty of options, plus a couple of decent wingers (ideally permanently), centre back cover, and possibly a new right back (suppose it will depend on how Emmanuel does in pre-season). Then to see an improved style of play, which will no doubt take time to implement from Hurst and Doig, finished with a mid-top half position come May next year.

Is that too much to ask?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 8:57]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 08:58 - Jun 13 with 2963 viewsITFC_Forever

Indeed.

Although it's very possible not all of those you list would be first choice selections every week.

We can't expect Dozzell to play 46 games - if we get 30-35 out of him, it will be fine.

Equally, assuming Hurst goes 4141, I can't see Garner being a regular starter either - Waghorn has the edge on him based on last season.

As for CBs, I said we were criminally under-staffed in this position at the end of the August window last season, we then promptly binned off Smith.... good though CCV was, he was only ever a short-term fix.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:12 - Jun 13 with 2928 viewsBasuco

We need a CB who is strong in the air and see where the likes of Tristan Nydam and Flynn Downes are with regards to being up to regular first team football and at 32 Cole Skuse will need replacing soon, but he has just had another excellent season. I really hope that we get to see a lot more of the players you mention on the pitch as well. I am really looking forward to next season more than ever before.
Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:15 - Jun 13 with 2906 viewsSteve_M

I thought the first half of last season showed that too, it was never quite consistent enough and all fell away badly of course but it was markedly better than the year before in terms of approach and goals scored. If nothing else 2017-18 has given Hurst a much better base to work with.

I want to see us develop a clear style of play, something that ends up being more intuitive than out good spells last year. It's clear from the excitement that some fairly straightforward remarks made yesterday that most fans are looking forward to a change and that should provide a whole load more positivity off the pitch than in the second half of last season.

The great thing is that once the World Cup is over there are only three weeks until the start of the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:33 - Jun 13 with 2853 viewsCuffy81

I think there is every reason for optimism, I do think we need to add some pace into the team, especially in the wide positions. What really struck me was how rarely we get in behind teams, especially at Portman road.

After hearing yesterday comments from Hurst I think we may see a bit of a squad overhaul, if he is going to play 4-1-4-1 and press the top of the pitch I think we need different personal that what we have at the minute.
Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:50 - Jun 13 with 2790 viewsbluesym

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 08:56 - Jun 13 by Kieran_Knows

I'd just like to see the players you mention (mainly Adeyemi, Dozzell, Bishop and Huws) get back to full fitness to give Hurst plenty of options, plus a couple of decent wingers (ideally permanently), centre back cover, and possibly a new right back (suppose it will depend on how Emmanuel does in pre-season). Then to see an improved style of play, which will no doubt take time to implement from Hurst and Doig, finished with a mid-top half position come May next year.

Is that too much to ask?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 8:57]

i think we are a striker short as well to be honest.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:52 - Jun 13 with 2780 viewsDarth_Koont

I agree.

I think you could also add Carayol to that too. Even as a short-term contract we didn't get nearly enough game time out of him.

On that note, I'd have no problem if Hurst went back to his Shrewsbury wingers despite them being over 30. Especially if that longevity means they've played a lot of games per season. With more regulars (even of a lesser quality than we might hope for), we've got a better chance of building a team and some momentum. Obviously the long-term absences were a blow but on top of that it's the constant adjustment and filling gaps in the side every game or two that made last season so uneven.

Pronouns: He/Him

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 10:27 - Jun 13 with 2693 viewsGuthrum

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 09:50 - Jun 13 by bluesym

i think we are a striker short as well to be honest.

Probably half a striker, given how often McGoldrick was injured. Possibly the likes of Folami and Morris could fill the gap, or a reinvigorated Sears.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 10:44 - Jun 13 with 2652 viewsKropotkin123

My expectations are a little more simplistic. Whilst I believe PH has inherited a decent squad, can add his own quality and the players demonstrated under Klug that they can a more progressive style of football, this is a transitional season and I'd be happy with a 1-15 finish.

I think it could well take a bit of time to play the style of football PH want naturally, rather than consciously. We could well have a season like Millwall last season, where they climbed up the league in the later half. It would be hugely satisfying if we had a better 2nd half of the season than the 1st. I mean that in both terms of points and performance.

I also expect the fans to be patient. To realise that although we have huge potential, a reset of our approach to games is needed, and we should be supportive regardless of the initial results.

It is clear that we are aiming to improve on the fitness of our players. And as such I expect to see less injuries.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 10:47 - Jun 13 with 2648 viewsReuser_is_God

If he makes PR an enjoyable place to go & watch football again then he’s doing a good job.

I know it’s easy to get caught up in it all but I really like what we’re doing as a club at the minute. Everything has been spot on since Mick left, let’s just hope it continues to be that way when it really matters.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 10:55 - Jun 13 with 2620 viewsm14_blue

Play decent football, finish around mid table, beat Norwich.
Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:06 - Jun 13 with 2590 viewsdirtyboy

I note that McGoldrick hasn't yet found himself another club.

Is there any chance of him coming in, training and getting offered another contract? Just a thought.

Anyway

Expectations are low, optimism is high.

If Dozzell, Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws are fit, then we have players in the middle who can get you off your seat.

Where the width will come from i'm not sure. If Hurst allows a bit more expression with players to push on, perhaps Ward will enjoy being out wide a bit more? Not sure Rowe will feature, but who knows, clean slate and that's only right.

I've liked seeing the Nathan Winder appointment coming in nice and early and Chris Doig....well, he's certainly got 'something' about him!

Squad wise, it'll need some tweaking and them having respect for Hurst, which given they're good characters, I suspect they will.

Hopefully we'll pick up a few early points to ease minds a little, but it'll certainly be tough to start with.

I'm sure we'll be in good hands though and we'll see what happens after January when he's had half a season to see what it's all about, then time to adjust the squad if required.
Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:18 - Jun 13 with 2552 viewsMach_foreignBlue

My expectation is too see a positive approach with intention of winning match not stop opposition from playing week in week out. Do your best to win a match and see where it takes us.

Hurst has been with us for 5 minutes and he's already spotted lack of width that we have been crying for. Wingers are his priority and that is so encouraging. Had McCarthy still been at the club then a defensive midfielder would have been a prime target.
Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:20 - Jun 13 with 2545 viewsITFC_Forever

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:06 - Jun 13 by dirtyboy

Is there any chance of him coming in, training and getting offered another contract? Just a thought.

Anyway

If Dozzell, Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws are fit, then we have players in the middle who can get you off your seat.

Where the width will come from i'm not sure. If Hurst allows a bit more expression with players to push on, perhaps Ward will enjoy being out wide a bit more? Not sure Rowe will feature, but who knows, clean slate and that's only right.

I've liked seeing the Nathan Winder appointment coming in nice and early and Chris Doig....well, he's certainly got 'something' about him!

Squad wise, it'll need some tweaking and them having respect for Hurst, which given they're good characters, I suspect they will.

Hopefully we'll pick up a few early points to ease minds a little, but it'll certainly be tough to start with.

I'm sure we'll be in good hands though and we'll see what happens after January when he's had half a season to see what it's all about, then time to adjust the squad if required.

McG isn't going to 'pop in for training', he lives a 3 hour drive away.

Think Rowe may well get a chance - Hurst will know of him through his knowledge of the lower leagues and know that he is a player who is one that "should" (according to many who watch the game at that level) be able to make the step up.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:21 - Jun 13 with 2536 viewsJ2BLUE

Expectations for Hurst next season.... on 11:06 - Jun 13 by dirtyboy

Anyway

He's under contract until June 30th so not in any rush.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My only expectation is... on 16:12 - Jun 13 with 2321 viewsunstableblue

... to stay in the division whilst being entertained and excited in more games than when I am being bored rigid.

Hopefully this means we have progressed our playing system, and got the fans back on board.

The following season I'd like to consider a play-off push.

I still think the debacle of the last two season was half injuries to key players as you sight, and half a system and playing style issue. Of the 4ish games we played particularly well last term Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzel and Bishop were not fit.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024