Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
International Albinism Awareness Day everyone 10:34 - Jun 13 with 2452 viewsgiant_stow

http://www.un.org/en/events/albinismday/

Just in case anyone's interested or wants to find out more.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:03 - Jun 13 with 2424 viewsKeno

Cant see the fuss, they seem all white to me

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:07 - Jun 13 with 2422 viewsDarth_Koont

The only white men who can legitimately play the victim card.

Unless they want us to class stupidity as a handicap.

Pronouns: He/Him

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:10 - Jun 13 with 2411 viewsSteve_M

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:07 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

The only ones? Only if we want to ignore poverty in favour only of identity politics.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:14 - Jun 13 with 2404 viewsDarth_Koont

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:10 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

The only ones? Only if we want to ignore poverty in favour only of identity politics.

For being white, yes.

Didn't think it needed saying but I'm not excluding people who are victims of other prejudices than skin colour.

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:35 - Jun 13 with 2381 viewsBorisOrTrevor

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:07 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

Do you get many invites to dinner parties?

You are a bore.

BOT

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:58 - Jun 13 with 2357 viewsDarth_Koont

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:35 - Jun 13 by BorisOrTrevor

Do you get many invites to dinner parties?

You are a bore.

Haha. I do as a matter of fact. No doubt to make everyone else look more interesting.

But strange coming from you. You're not exactly Peter Ustinov yourself.

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:01 - Jun 13 with 2351 viewsCaptainObvious

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 12:03 - Jun 13 by Keno

Cant see the fuss, they seem all white to me

In about 5 years time, when excessive PC has further extended its grip, you will be banned for that remark.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:15 - Jun 13 with 2335 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:01 - Jun 13 by CaptainObvious

In about 5 years time, when excessive PC has further extended its grip, you will be banned for that remark.

that's obviously just a joke though. If you really want to get into it, theres a whole thing in the albinism world about whether the term 'albino' is acceptable or not. One guy I know calls himself a 'bino'. personally, saying 'my son has albanism' seems like your saying he has some affliction, when really its just part of who he is, so I tend to say 'he's an albino'. complicated sh1t.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:21 - Jun 13 with 2324 viewsDarth_Koont

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:15 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

that's obviously just a joke though. If you really want to get into it, theres a whole thing in the albinism world about whether the term 'albino' is acceptable or not. One guy I know calls himself a 'bino'. personally, saying 'my son has albanism' seems like your saying he has some affliction, when really its just part of who he is, so I tend to say 'he's an albino'. complicated sh1t.

Is your son albino, ullaa? Must have missed that if you'd said it before.

I wish you both well. As you say, it seems to be more of a handicap in other people's eyes than it need be for the person him or herself.

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:41 - Jun 13 with 2304 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:21 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

Is your son albino, ullaa? Must have missed that if you'd said it before.

I wish you both well. As you say, it seems to be more of a handicap in other people's eyes than it need be for the person him or herself.

Cheers fella. Yeah he is. Never mentioned it here before, but it's no secret - I'm proud of him.

You're right about other people's perceptions being a problem, although there are a couple of physical issues for him:
extreme sensitivity to sunlight - he has to wear sun glasses all the time, so has to get used to 'cool dude' comments from well-meaning adults.
Also he burns easily in any kind of sunlight, although other albinos have it worse.
The major one though is eye-sight - he's legally classified as blind, although we're convinced he can see as well as any severely short-sighted person. Again, a lot of people with albinism have it much worse.

edit: just to add, we're lucky in this country - there are parts of Africa where albino bones are highly prized by local 'medicine men' types - all sorts of terrible things happen to kids over there.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 13:48]

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:54 - Jun 13 with 2276 viewsDarth_Koont

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:41 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Cheers fella. Yeah he is. Never mentioned it here before, but it's no secret - I'm proud of him.

You're right about other people's perceptions being a problem, although there are a couple of physical issues for him:
extreme sensitivity to sunlight - he has to wear sun glasses all the time, so has to get used to 'cool dude' comments from well-meaning adults.
Also he burns easily in any kind of sunlight, although other albinos have it worse.
The major one though is eye-sight - he's legally classified as blind, although we're convinced he can see as well as any severely short-sighted person. Again, a lot of people with albinism have it much worse.

edit: just to add, we're lucky in this country - there are parts of Africa where albino bones are highly prized by local 'medicine men' types - all sorts of terrible things happen to kids over there.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 13:48]

Sorry to hear that he's got to face those challenges.

But yes, you should be proud. I've known a few people over the years who have physical challenges and they've almost universally been pretty special people. And more for how they handle the rest of life's challenges than their own specific situations.

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:04 - Jun 13 with 2261 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:54 - Jun 13 by Darth_Koont

Sorry to hear that he's got to face those challenges.

But yes, you should be proud. I've known a few people over the years who have physical challenges and they've almost universally been pretty special people. And more for how they handle the rest of life's challenges than their own specific situations.

Yeah, a lot of its about attitude I think. My boy is 5 so old enough to know about his 'condition' but when you talk to him about albinism, he refuses to acknowledge it - just ignores it. That might sound like a problem, but I think it's more of a innate refusal to see himself as different or as having a problem.

Anyway, enough of personal bobbins.

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:10 - Jun 13 with 2254 viewsKeno

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 13:15 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Ulla - you have my sympathy for that situation and all it must involve.

I meant mo offence with the previous comment. If it causes you any I will delete it and hope you will accept an abject apology

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:11 - Jun 13 with 2256 viewsDyland

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:04 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Yeah, a lot of its about attitude I think. My boy is 5 so old enough to know about his 'condition' but when you talk to him about albinism, he refuses to acknowledge it - just ignores it. That might sound like a problem, but I think it's more of a innate refusal to see himself as different or as having a problem.

Anyway, enough of personal bobbins.

That doesn't sound like a problem at all dear Udders. He sounds like a sorted little kid.

The only sympathy I have for the lad is his dad's dreadful football allegiance/s.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:13 - Jun 13 with 2251 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:10 - Jun 13 by Keno

Ulla - you have my sympathy for that situation and all it must involve.

I meant mo offence with the previous comment. If it causes you any I will delete it and hope you will accept an abject apology

Don't be daft! It was a joke and taken as such. No offence taken at all - promise!

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:14 - Jun 13 with 2250 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:11 - Jun 13 by Dyland

That doesn't sound like a problem at all dear Udders. He sounds like a sorted little kid.

The only sympathy I have for the lad is his dad's dreadful football allegiance/s.

he is very confident and sorted! Much brighter than his dad too - his uncle has long since talked him into being an a gooner - a much happier footballing life lies ahead for him!

:) x (n/t) on 14:19 - Jun 13 with 2245 viewsDyland

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:14 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

he is very confident and sorted! Much brighter than his dad too - his uncle has long since talked him into being an a gooner - a much happier footballing life lies ahead for him!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:19 - Jun 13 with 2244 viewsKeno

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:13 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Don't be daft! It was a joke and taken as such. No offence taken at all - promise!

ok cheers

that cant be easy for him or you!!

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:31 - Jun 13 with 2237 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:19 - Jun 13 by Keno

ok cheers

that cant be easy for him or you!!

He's alright - his main bugbear is putting on sunscreen!

I posted the link mainly because of those African kids - they're the ones who really have it tough and it's all a bit under the radar as so few people are affected (1 in 17,000)

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:42 - Jun 13 with 2226 viewsKeno

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:31 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

He's alright - his main bugbear is putting on sunscreen!

I posted the link mainly because of those African kids - they're the ones who really have it tough and it's all a bit under the radar as so few people are affected (1 in 17,000)

I didn't realise it was that common!

does his condition have any other inherent health issues?

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:47 - Jun 13 with 2223 viewsgiant_stow

International Albinism Awareness Day everyone on 14:42 - Jun 13 by Keno

I didn't realise it was that common!

does his condition have any other inherent health issues?

There's a sub-type of albinism where your lungs bascially pack up in your 30s or early 40s and you die, but thank God, he doesn't have that version.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024