Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to get something off my chest 16:58 - Jun 13 with 7365 viewsDanFord

The World Cup win in 1966. I just can't be proud of it. There is absolutely no way the whole of the ball crossed the line when we went 3-2 up. I've seen it a thousand times and it looks like 80% of the ball was over but there was still a bit that hadn't gone in. So for me, I am proud that we won it, but not that proud because it feels a little tainted. You could argue that we may have won it in 1986 if we hadn't been cheated by Maradona or in 1998 when Campbell's perfectly good goal against the Argie's was ruled out. As I say, you never know. But to have only won the big prize once and for it to be that controversial bothers me. When we won the UEFA Cup, the League, the FA Cup we did it fair and square. It's always annoyed me that England didn't win the final in the correct manner, by the ball clearly crossing the line. Am I alone here? I expect so!

PS - I have seen the videos that claim to reconstruct it and they show it was over the line, but without the cameras in place at the time, these reconstructions can be flawed. The best photo I have ever seen of it showed that landed on the grass of the white line. The reconstructions tend to show it a fraction after it bounced up, where there is then a gap which makes it look like it has crossed the line as you can see a gap between the line and the ball.

*ADDENDUM - While all the downvotes FFS. It's how I feel about it! I'm also not trying to troll. See the videos below for where I am coming from. The best angle that they have seems to suggest it was nowhere near over the line.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:06]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Time to get something off my chest on 19:50 - Jun 13 with 3040 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Time to get something off my chest on 17:39 - Jun 13 by strikalite

Let it go, you have decisions go for you(in this case in your opinion)and against you, plenty against us, Lampard's goal that never was was 18 inches over the line, the hand of god....etc etc..

I'm not proud, proud is the wrong word, it was 42 years ago so we're hardly all walking around with our head held high :), we should now feel slightly embarrassed that we've never really come close to winning it again.

"Never" come close to winning it again?

I suppose the semi-final v Argentina when it took the Maradonna handball (in addition to his wonder goal) to beat us was a million miles away.

What about England (aside from the media) suggests we ought to have ever won it (let alone won it once and made the semi-final too)? Our record is the 7th best in the world and ranks better than Holland and alongside Spain!

I am also immensely proud that the only time we won it and the closest we ever came to doing so again were with a manager (and several players in the latter case too) made in Ipswich.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Time to get something off my chest on 20:14 - Jun 13 with 3035 viewsBrixtonBlue

Time to get something off my chest on 19:44 - Jun 13 by jaykay

great i'm only 58 not 68

Any plans for your 60th in a couple of years?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Time to get something off my chest on 20:23 - Jun 13 with 3023 viewsbahri

Time to get something off my chest on 17:52 - Jun 13 by Pendejo

WTF? 52years ago man.

Ok, here goes. Roger Hunt turns and celebrates the goal = ball over line. He was nearest to it, boy do I wish he had made sure by slamming it in. All his fault.

Besides we scored another, on the counter & whether 2-2 or 3-2, they'd still be going for the win. So it is still a pure win. Untainted.

Spot on

redandella

Time to get something off my chest on 20:33 - Jun 13 with 3015 viewswkj

Even if it wasn't over the line, you have to take a bit of luck as you'll lose a fair few, namely Maradonna's hand of Knob, SBR said had we gone through that game he believed we won the cup. Then you had that Germany goal, though contrary to what many want to believe, I doubt the resulting bottle job would have been any different had they called it a goal.

If we fluked some how to win the playoff final I doubt many of our fans would be writing a letter of complaint to the FA in real time, or feeling any lessproud of it in later years. As an England supporter the same sentiment applies, god knows weve had ups and downs in the luck department.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Time to get something off my chest on 20:34 - Jun 13 with 3008 viewsFtnfwest

Time to get something off my chest on 19:50 - Jun 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

"Never" come close to winning it again?

I suppose the semi-final v Argentina when it took the Maradonna handball (in addition to his wonder goal) to beat us was a million miles away.

What about England (aside from the media) suggests we ought to have ever won it (let alone won it once and made the semi-final too)? Our record is the 7th best in the world and ranks better than Holland and alongside Spain!

I am also immensely proud that the only time we won it and the closest we ever came to doing so again were with a manager (and several players in the latter case too) made in Ipswich.

Quarter final but agree with your point
Time to get something off my chest on 20:44 - Jun 13 with 3000 viewsbackwaywhen

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....stop the world I want to get off !
Time to get something off my chest on 20:53 - Jun 13 with 2986 viewsstrikalite

Time to get something off my chest on 19:44 - Jun 13 by jaykay

great i'm only 58 not 68

We'll find you a job in no time

My bad..
Time to get something off my chest on 20:55 - Jun 13 with 2980 viewsitfcjoe

Time to get something off my chest on 17:16 - Jun 13 by DanFord

Absolutely and like I say I am proud we won it, but it feels slightly tarnished because there is that doubt and other World Cup finals like 1998 and 2002 and 1978 were just settled. Much rather we'd have just thumped them and not had any controversy over the final itself, especially at 2-2. Did they have penalties back then? Can you imagine if we'd beaten them on pens what might have happened. Euro 99, Italia 90 ......... maybe it would have been them that crumbled in those situations instead!

What about the supposed military intervention in the '78 WC that made sure the Argies went thru with a 6-0 win vs Peru?

Or the fact that Ronaldo had his incident before the '98 final?

You can't win the World Cup without having a bit of luck along the way

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Time to get something off my chest on 21:23 - Jun 13 with 2955 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Time to get something off my chest on 20:34 - Jun 13 by Ftnfwest

Quarter final but agree with your point

History always looks better as time passes doesn't it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Time to get something off my chest on 22:25 - Jun 13 with 2926 viewsHennikerBlu

Well having watched, I mean suffered, virtually all the England games that have been played since I was old enough to appreciate football, I will take a slice of luck, if indeed it was and not look back for second.

England have been more than on the thin end of the wedge in plenty of games. Perhaps ask France how they feel about Germany? As for the '86 game we were well in that game with an incredible off the line headed save with minutes or seconds to go. The Sol Campbell's goal on another day would have been a goal, hand of god, Paul Parker deflection, sending offs, penalty shoot outs......Oh the pain!

We must be the only nation on planet that would have the odd citizen take this view point, sure its a talking point, but not much more than that.
Time to get something off my chest on 01:12 - Jun 14 with 2896 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Let's just agree England would not have won the 66 World Cup had they not hosted it. Rattin was unfairly sent off in the quarter final and even then England scraped through. That was the biggest favour England received in the tournament as the Argentinians were an excellent side.

Argentina wouldn't have won in 78 had they not hosted it. Same with West Germany in 74. There is a lot of theories about Argentina's win in 78.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Time to get something off my chest on 08:45 - Jun 14 with 2845 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Doesn't this count as treason?

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Time to get something off my chest on 11:07 - Jun 14 with 2809 viewsOxford_Blue

Shall we arrange a replay?
Time to get something off my chest on 11:17 - Jun 14 with 2805 viewsWickets

Watching it at the time(on telly) i was sure it was in, think Roger Hunt's actions of turing round to celebrate speaks volumes as i seem to remember he was very close to it.
Time to get something off my chest on 11:29 - Jun 14 with 2804 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Are you aware they didn’t have goalline technology back then?
Time to get something off my chest on 11:37 - Jun 14 with 2797 viewsgosblue

It is what it is. Take a look at this Alan Hudson Goal from 1970. This was never a goal but the result stands. Chelsea still beat Ipswich 2-1. That’s football.

Btw. I’m with Roger Hunt on the England goal.
Time to get something off my chest on 11:40 - Jun 14 with 2796 viewsusm

When we won the FA Cup in 1978, Bristol Rovers had a perfectly good goal disallowed which would have put them 3-1 up, with not too much time left, and would almost certainly have knocked us out.

Its swings and roundabouts - 1975 Clive Thomas disallowed two Bryan Hamilton goals in the S/F replay against West Ham.

The 1981 FA Cup S/F - it was never a foul from which City scored the winner.

Lampard's goal v Germany. Maradona's against us etc etc.

The record says that England won the WC in 1966. Thats all that matters.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2018 11:45]

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Time to get something off my chest on 11:53 - Jun 14 with 2789 viewsdidsburyblue

Sums up the entirety of the original post quite succinctly

[Post edited 14 Jun 2018 11:54]
suq (n/t) on 12:08 - Jun 14 with 2781 viewsDyland

Time to get something off my chest on 11:40 - Jun 14 by usm

When we won the FA Cup in 1978, Bristol Rovers had a perfectly good goal disallowed which would have put them 3-1 up, with not too much time left, and would almost certainly have knocked us out.

Its swings and roundabouts - 1975 Clive Thomas disallowed two Bryan Hamilton goals in the S/F replay against West Ham.

The 1981 FA Cup S/F - it was never a foul from which City scored the winner.

Lampard's goal v Germany. Maradona's against us etc etc.

The record says that England won the WC in 1966. Thats all that matters.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2018 11:45]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024