Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? 09:42 - Jun 18 with 3252 viewschristiand

Well worth a catch up on BBC Iplayer about the demise of England's managers since Sir Alf Ramsey. Just made think what ar*eholes we have in the media to thrive and enjoy someone's downfall. Henry Winter came across as a 100% w*nker in my view!! Be interested to see others' thoughts on the programme.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 09:59 - Jun 18 with 3214 viewsOsborneOneNil

Yeah I thought the same re: Winter. He has no remorse in hammering an individual.

Pretty painful reminder of how many near misses we’ve had too, mainly with pens.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:05 - Jun 18 with 3198 viewschristiand

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 09:59 - Jun 18 by OsborneOneNil

Yeah I thought the same re: Winter. He has no remorse in hammering an individual.

Pretty painful reminder of how many near misses we’ve had too, mainly with pens.

It appeared, though I hope not true, if the media don't like a certain manager then they just find ways of getting rid. Who do they think they are? When Winter said, 'Lets hope England don't slip up against Panama and sneering with a glint in his eye I just found that very disconcerting. At that point, I thought what chance has any England manager got to be successful when you have idiots like this trying to trip them up at the first opportunity?! The job is hard enough as it is without having to deal with these scumbags too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 11:01]

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:14 - Jun 18 with 3168 viewsLord_Lucan

One thing that came across is that losing the England job will be the death of Allardyce.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:17 - Jun 18 with 3161 viewsTJS

unfortunately we are trapped in a bit of a vicious circle when it comes to England.
The team consistently under performs in major tournaments and then gets ripped apart in the media - that has become the default position.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:21 - Jun 18 with 3149 viewsfarkenhell

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:05 - Jun 18 by christiand

It appeared, though I hope not true, if the media don't like a certain manager then they just find ways of getting rid. Who do they think they are? When Winter said, 'Lets hope England don't slip up against Panama and sneering with a glint in his eye I just found that very disconcerting. At that point, I thought what chance has any England manager got to be successful when you have idiots like this trying to trip them up at the first opportunity?! The job is hard enough as it is without having to deal with these scumbags too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 11:01]

I couldn't agree more. You have to question what the pillocks are trying to achieve and why, particularly in the middle of a major tournament.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:22 - Jun 18 with 3150 viewsAce_High1

I found it very interesting. Certainly the Robson years which were before my time and how he was treated was quite revealing into the press and overall approach. What I didn't realise is that he was interested in taking the job again in 98 after Hoddle was sacked.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 10:23]
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:24 - Jun 18 with 3144 viewsBrianTablet

One major problem with the England job is the time-frame.

In club football you move on very quickly and have the next match coming up. Mistakes are forgotten and things can swing around very quickly.
Journos might only have 2/3 days to slate a manager/player before they are 'proved wrong' with a win/good performance, etc. in the next match.

International teams have to wait months with a defeat hanging over their heads, or a goalkeeping error, slip up haunting them. No chance of redemption for another 2/4 years. This gives people like Winter huge swathes of column inches in which to dissect and attack every possible facet of a person's character, both professional and personal.

I've no idea why anyone would want to be England manager.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 10:29]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:27 - Jun 18 with 3134 viewschicoazul

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:14 - Jun 18 by Lord_Lucan

One thing that came across is that losing the England job will be the death of Allardyce.

I was, perhaps surprised is the wrong word, and I would never be disappointed for him, but surprised at how little of a sht he seemed to give about what happened. He never fails to go down in my estimations I suppose is what I mean.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:28 - Jun 18 with 3136 viewsBrianTablet

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:21 - Jun 18 by farkenhell

I couldn't agree more. You have to question what the pillocks are trying to achieve and why, particularly in the middle of a major tournament.

I think it's obvious. Massive egos that needs massaging.

You'd think that they'd like nothing more than to write long pieces about how England won the World Cup, but no, they seem to love all the scandal, politics and negativity.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 10:29]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:30 - Jun 18 with 3127 viewsfarkenhell

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:14 - Jun 18 by Lord_Lucan

He seemed very emotional about it, didn't he? Ditto Roy Hodgson.

I thought Eriksson came across very well (no pun intended). An air of resigned disbelief that the press (and to some extent, the FA) would want to focus incessantly on non-football related matters when the national team were in the latter stages of a major tournament.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:46 - Jun 18 with 3056 viewsheavyweight

It was a great watch - but quite hard to take all those disappointments crammed into an hour.

Apart from the obnoxiuous Winter what struck me was the self delusion of most of the previous managers (Sven, Capello, Taylor, Allardyce,McClaren) - none admitted to any mistakes, always someones else's fault.

The other thing that struck me was the number of goalkeeping errors from
Bonetti, Shilton, Seaman, Carson, Green & Hart which had contributed greatly to exiting from major tournaments.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 11:06 - Jun 18 with 3021 viewschristiand

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:46 - Jun 18 by heavyweight

It was a great watch - but quite hard to take all those disappointments crammed into an hour.

Apart from the obnoxiuous Winter what struck me was the self delusion of most of the previous managers (Sven, Capello, Taylor, Allardyce,McClaren) - none admitted to any mistakes, always someones else's fault.

Bonetti, Shilton, Seaman, Carson, Green & Hart which had contributed greatly to exiting from major tournaments.

Aren't goals always going to come from someone's mistakes? Goalkeepers aren't faultless, they are human too and will make mistakes like everyone else on the pitch. The only difference is, when a keeper makes an error it tends to lead to a goal.

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 12:50 - Jun 18 with 2885 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 11:06 - Jun 18 by christiand

Aren't goals always going to come from someone's mistakes? Goalkeepers aren't faultless, they are human too and will make mistakes like everyone else on the pitch. The only difference is, when a keeper makes an error it tends to lead to a goal.

No - these were complete howlers, one after the other. That combined with penalty shoot outs and the odd freak goal such as Maradona's hand ball followed by his greatest goal of all time, Ronaldinho scoring flukey free kicks and then stuff like Lampard's goal not being given when 3 foot over the line, makes you wonder whether we as a country are paying some kind of price for past/present misdemeanours.

BOT

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 2853 viewsSuperblue95

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 12:50 - Jun 18 by BorisOrTrevor

No - these were complete howlers, one after the other. That combined with penalty shoot outs and the odd freak goal such as Maradona's hand ball followed by his greatest goal of all time, Ronaldinho scoring flukey free kicks and then stuff like Lampard's goal not being given when 3 foot over the line, makes you wonder whether we as a country are paying some kind of price for past/present misdemeanours.

Yep the world is definitely out to get England. It's nothing to do with the fact that England have never been good enough

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:06 - Jun 18 with 2839 viewsNo9

One of the best documentaries on the subject of England manager.
Did the BBC select Henry Winter because he's a plonker ?
The treatment of SBR was disgusting and the views of others such as Sven G E illuminating.

My footnote is simply good luck to Gareth Southgate
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:11 - Jun 18 with 2828 viewsFenboyBlue

In my eyes, with every passing tournament the achievements of Sir Alf and Sir Bobby just keep getting greater (as if they weren't already off the scale). It looks like Sir Alf had the right idea all along.
Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:15 - Jun 18 with 2820 viewsKieran_Knows

Forgot that it was on, will have to watch on catch up this week!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:17 - Jun 18 with 2811 viewsFenboyBlue

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:15 - Jun 18 by Kieran_Knows

Forgot that it was on, will have to watch on catch up this week!

It's repeated on BBC2 tonight at 23:15
The UK press on 13:17 - Jun 18 with 2811 viewsDyland

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:22 - Jun 18 by Ace_High1

I found it very interesting. Certainly the Robson years which were before my time and how he was treated was quite revealing into the press and overall approach. What I didn't realise is that he was interested in taking the job again in 98 after Hoddle was sacked.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 10:23]

We get some of the best and some of the very worst of it over here. There's a genuine duality to our news culture in Britain.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:18 - Jun 18 with 2808 viewsOldsmoker

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 10:46 - Jun 18 by heavyweight

..and Winter said that for balance, each paper would have one journalist whose job it was to praise the team and another to be critical.
It seems that every football journalist thinks they could do a better job than the England manager.
Its a very fine line between hero and zero. There's no middle ground when in fact every England manager has been mostly in the middle - not a zero or a hero - except for our very own Sir Alf and Sir Bobby (and maybe Tel).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:21 - Jun 18 with 2798 viewsKieran_Knows

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:17 - Jun 18 by FenboyBlue

It's repeated on BBC2 tonight at 23:15

Perfect!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 22:28 - Jun 18 with 2616 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Did anyone watch the 'The Impossible Job' last night on the Beeb? on 13:01 - Jun 18 by Superblue95

Yep the world is definitely out to get England. It's nothing to do with the fact that England have never been good enough

Erm we were in 1990, we were in 96 and we were pretty decent in 86 and 98. Don’t think we have had much luck is my point and lack undoubtedly plays a part for all sides. Hopefully with the result tonight and that shocking penalty decision(s) negated things might be looking up.

BOT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024