Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agree with their penalty but.... 19:50 - Jun 18 with 8741 viewschristiand

How did we not get one after Kane got wrestled to the ground?
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 19:55]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Agree with their penalty but.... on 07:14 - Jun 19 with 2661 viewsBrixtonBlue

Agree with their penalty but.... on 20:02 - Jun 18 by jas0999

Both were clear penalties.

It clearly wasn't a clear penalty, else why would there be so much discussion on it!?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:28 - Jun 19 with 2658 viewschristiand

Agree with their penalty but.... on 07:05 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

Again you're repeating yourself. Again I agree!

Last time I looked at the laws of the game 'not defending properly' wasn't an offence. You seem at odds with most of the pundits and most on here in thinking that was a penalty.

I find it odd that an England supporter would be so vehement about it being a pen. Do you have something against Kyle Walker? Genuine question. Not trying to start a row just trying to understand your thinking.

[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 7:11]

What a ridiculous suggestion? The fact I'm an England supporter, I certainly don't expect to have all decisions go our way and will try to look at it objectively. Both Rio Ferdinand and Glenn Hoddle felt it was a Tunisian penalty due to Walker's position, not challenging for the ball and raising his arm to fend off the attacker. Those were my thoughts at the time and in the cold light of day remain the same this morning. VAR certainly wouldn't clear up that decision as it leaves too much to interpretation, look at our discussion now - you think one thing which you repeatedly make reference to and I think another. However, the two rugby tackles on Kane now that's a different story!!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 7:35]

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:56 - Jun 19 with 2636 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:28 - Jun 19 by christiand

What a ridiculous suggestion? The fact I'm an England supporter, I certainly don't expect to have all decisions go our way and will try to look at it objectively. Both Rio Ferdinand and Glenn Hoddle felt it was a Tunisian penalty due to Walker's position, not challenging for the ball and raising his arm to fend off the attacker. Those were my thoughts at the time and in the cold light of day remain the same this morning. VAR certainly wouldn't clear up that decision as it leaves too much to interpretation, look at our discussion now - you think one thing which you repeatedly make reference to and I think another. However, the two rugby tackles on Kane now that's a different story!!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 7:35]

"you repeatedly make reference to" - I'm only repeating because you keep repeating!

I didn't see/hear Glenn Hoddle's view but Rio didn't think it was a pen. He talked about the bad positioning, and like you've been saying "he shouldn't give the ref an option", but he didn't say it was a pen.

The consensus seems to be their attacker ran into Walker's arm. That was my view at the time and it's probably the worst pen decision I've seen against England - which I guess is why I'm so baffled seeing a few England fans on here saying it was a def pen.

I agree the two rugby tackles on Kane were shockers as well!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:56 - Jun 19 with 2602 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:56 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

"you repeatedly make reference to" - I'm only repeating because you keep repeating!

I didn't see/hear Glenn Hoddle's view but Rio didn't think it was a pen. He talked about the bad positioning, and like you've been saying "he shouldn't give the ref an option", but he didn't say it was a pen.

The consensus seems to be their attacker ran into Walker's arm. That was my view at the time and it's probably the worst pen decision I've seen against England - which I guess is why I'm so baffled seeing a few England fans on here saying it was a def pen.

I agree the two rugby tackles on Kane were shockers as well!

I appreciate you might be in denial, but the the fact that you keep responding to anyone that has a different opinion to yours (look throughout this thread) - I'm just trying to establish: 'You didn't think it was a penalty?' shows in evidence alone that you are repeating yourself. Yes, we get it you didn't think it was a penalty. Many others did, regular Joes like you and I and pundits too, Hoddle being another on ITV highlights show last night. Listen again to what Rio actually says. Get over it and move on, you're not going to change people's minds because you think differently and keep reposting. I accept your opinion, you need to accept others too.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 9:00]

Agree with their penalty but.... on 09:06 - Jun 19 with 2597 viewsKeaneish

Agree with their penalty but.... on 21:46 - Jun 18 by BrixtonBlue

Which pundits were you listening to? Linekar, Shearer and co thought it was a shocker, same as me.

Since when has running into someone's arm been a penalty?

Never a pen. Kyle walker is facing the ball. Zero intent to play the man. His arm up high is to hold off his opponent. Farcical decision but the game should have been out of sight before that. We're too naive to go too far in this tournament but enjoyed the game none the less.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Agree with their penalty but.... on 09:19 - Jun 19 with 2589 viewsbadadski

Agree with their penalty but.... on 07:05 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

Again you're repeating yourself. Again I agree!

Last time I looked at the laws of the game 'not defending properly' wasn't an offence. You seem at odds with most of the pundits and most on here in thinking that was a penalty.

I find it odd that an England supporter would be so vehement about it being a pen. Do you have something against Kyle Walker? Genuine question. Not trying to start a row just trying to understand your thinking.

[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 7:11]

I agree with Christiand, I am a defender and to me that was a pen. If his arms were lower i.e. When shielding the ball out of play then it wouldn't have been given but his arms were up in a v shape over his head and not knowing where the player was leading to the cause.

The striker ran into his arm on purpose but got the elbow in the face which shows it was bad defending and a penalty. We should have had about 3 penaltys but it seems like the pundits said, England don't get the rub of the green and rarely will.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:32 - Jun 19 with 2576 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:56 - Jun 19 by christiand

I appreciate you might be in denial, but the the fact that you keep responding to anyone that has a different opinion to yours (look throughout this thread) - I'm just trying to establish: 'You didn't think it was a penalty?' shows in evidence alone that you are repeating yourself. Yes, we get it you didn't think it was a penalty. Many others did, regular Joes like you and I and pundits too, Hoddle being another on ITV highlights show last night. Listen again to what Rio actually says. Get over it and move on, you're not going to change people's minds because you think differently and keep reposting. I accept your opinion, you need to accept others too.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 9:00]

In denial?! In denial of what?! I respond to people because it's a discussion board. That's what you do when you're discussing something. I brought up your repetition because that's what you started doing in our discussion - now you're having a pop at *me* for repetition?!? Unbelievable Jeff!

I have listened to what Rio said, and posted it above. He did not say "that's a penalty".

Funny how the only pundit who DID say it was a pen is one I haven't seen.

There's nothing to "get over", it's just a discussion. I don't expect to change your mind, I'm just responding to your points. If you don't make anymore I won't respond... if you do, I might do!

Agree with their penalty but.... on 09:42 - Jun 19 with 2572 viewsKeaneish

Agree with their penalty but.... on 09:19 - Jun 19 by badadski

I agree with Christiand, I am a defender and to me that was a pen. If his arms were lower i.e. When shielding the ball out of play then it wouldn't have been given but his arms were up in a v shape over his head and not knowing where the player was leading to the cause.

The striker ran into his arm on purpose but got the elbow in the face which shows it was bad defending and a penalty. We should have had about 3 penaltys but it seems like the pundits said, England don't get the rub of the green and rarely will.

Couldn't disagree more. If you're a defender in that situation and the ball is going across the face of goal you're going to raise your arm to hold your opponent off to let it run across your body. Good solid defending and as soft a pen as we've sen at the World cup.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:41 - Jun 19 with 2541 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:32 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

In denial?! In denial of what?! I respond to people because it's a discussion board. That's what you do when you're discussing something. I brought up your repetition because that's what you started doing in our discussion - now you're having a pop at *me* for repetition?!? Unbelievable Jeff!

I have listened to what Rio said, and posted it above. He did not say "that's a penalty".

Funny how the only pundit who DID say it was a pen is one I haven't seen.

There's nothing to "get over", it's just a discussion. I don't expect to change your mind, I'm just responding to your points. If you don't make anymore I won't respond... if you do, I might do!

You're not going to, but if that's the case it's pointless then responding to others which you have done with the same issue. Count how many times you have replied with the same point through this thread to different posters, that's not repetition? Noooo clearly not, only when I do it apparently?

Once again you are in denial, if you believe no pundit had said it was a penalty, even a soft one. Must be nice living in a BrixtonBlue world!? Time to put this to bed now, think we have both exhausted this topic. England won - roll on Sunday!!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 10:47]

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:49 - Jun 19 with 2528 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:41 - Jun 19 by christiand

You're not going to, but if that's the case it's pointless then responding to others which you have done with the same issue. Count how many times you have replied with the same point through this thread to different posters, that's not repetition? Noooo clearly not, only when I do it apparently?

Once again you are in denial, if you believe no pundit had said it was a penalty, even a soft one. Must be nice living in a BrixtonBlue world!? Time to put this to bed now, think we have both exhausted this topic. England won - roll on Sunday!!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 10:47]

I'm having different discussions with different people. That is allowed you know! The difference is your repetition is with me - I already know your view so why keep repeating it in slightly different ways in our chats?

Plenty pundits said it was soft, but none of those on the BBC said it was the correct decision. The only one who has apparently said that I didn't see so I can't really comment on Mr Hoddle's view.

You cited Rio. You seem to have gone quiet on that now.

I was also listening to Terry Butcher on 606 and he didn't think it was a penalty either. Still what does he know eh?

I'm not in denial of anything, I'm with the majority view.

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:11 - Jun 19 with 2512 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:49 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

I'm having different discussions with different people. That is allowed you know! The difference is your repetition is with me - I already know your view so why keep repeating it in slightly different ways in our chats?

Plenty pundits said it was soft, but none of those on the BBC said it was the correct decision. The only one who has apparently said that I didn't see so I can't really comment on Mr Hoddle's view.

You cited Rio. You seem to have gone quiet on that now.

I was also listening to Terry Butcher on 606 and he didn't think it was a penalty either. Still what does he know eh?

I'm not in denial of anything, I'm with the majority view.

and that's the point the majority might think it wasn't, but there are still some that believe it was. I've not gone quiet at all and stand by what I said at the very beginning, just get accused of repeating myself so don't want to bore you again!! You seem to be on some crusade to convert those that think differently to you to change their mind. Bizarre!

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:52 - Jun 19 with 2490 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:11 - Jun 19 by christiand

and that's the point the majority might think it wasn't, but there are still some that believe it was. I've not gone quiet at all and stand by what I said at the very beginning, just get accused of repeating myself so don't want to bore you again!! You seem to be on some crusade to convert those that think differently to you to change their mind. Bizarre!

It's not bizarre because it's not true. I've stated above "I don't expect to change your mind."

It's just a discussion mate, i'm not on some crusade.

Talking of which, here's what Rio actually said, FYI. Straight from the horse's mouth! He begins by saying, "It can be debatable"! (from 2:51:50)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b7d330/motd-2018-world-cup-tunisia-v-eng

Agree with their penalty but.... on 11:59 - Jun 19 with 2480 viewsbrazil1982

Agree with their penalty but.... on 09:42 - Jun 19 by Keaneish

Couldn't disagree more. If you're a defender in that situation and the ball is going across the face of goal you're going to raise your arm to hold your opponent off to let it run across your body. Good solid defending and as soft a pen as we've sen at the World cup.

IMO it's a penalty, as a lower league Ref I probably would have given it, although the attacker certainly makes the most of it to make it look more convincing.

Remember: In the opinion of the referee.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:59 - Jun 19 with 2480 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:52 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

It's not bizarre because it's not true. I've stated above "I don't expect to change your mind."

It's just a discussion mate, i'm not on some crusade.

Talking of which, here's what Rio actually said, FYI. Straight from the horse's mouth! He begins by saying, "It can be debatable"! (from 2:51:50)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b7d330/motd-2018-world-cup-tunisia-v-eng

'Debatable' equates to open to discussion or argument. Therefore enough to have doubt that it wasn't or it was.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - Jun 19 with 2471 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:59 - Jun 19 by christiand

'Debatable' equates to open to discussion or argument. Therefore enough to have doubt that it wasn't or it was.

HURRAH! WE GOT THERE IN THE END!

You said above: "Both Rio Ferdinand and Glenn Hoddle felt it was a Tunisian penalty."

Now you agree with me that he didn't. At most he said it can be debatable.

MY NAME'S BEEN DOLLY, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR GLASSES AT THE BAR, THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!

Agree with their penalty but.... on 12:17 - Jun 19 with 2465 viewsDyland

Agree with their penalty but.... on 21:55 - Jun 18 by Currie10

The second one is a pen to us with Kane.

The first, he is rugby tackled but Stones also pushed their guy in the back quite strongly.

That doesn't seem to have been picked up on in the studio.

Watch the first one back again and spot the Stones push.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 21:56]

If the first penalty box foul on Kane is not given because of Stones' shove, then the Switzerland goal should not have stood. Worth also noting that the player Stones shoves does not at any point appeal to the ref or even look that way as Kane is bundled over, he just gets on with it. The point is even the Stones foul is debatable and it can all be analysed until the cows come home.

We can only judge if VAR has been a success after the tournament. Already though I can say I don't like it, and not just because of the England Tunisia game. There's just so much room for inconsistency it can never be fair, so what's the point?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 12:18]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:20 - Jun 19 with 2458 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

HURRAH! WE GOT THERE IN THE END!

You said above: "Both Rio Ferdinand and Glenn Hoddle felt it was a Tunisian penalty."

Now you agree with me that he didn't. At most he said it can be debatable.

MY NAME'S BEEN DOLLY, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR GLASSES AT THE BAR, THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!

Really? Not sure your comprehension skills are up to scratch, perhaps that's the problem? It doesn't confirm anything other than it was 'debatable' you said early that Ferdinand didn't think it was. Your words: 'I didn't see/hear Glenn Hoddle's view but Rio didn't think it was a pen.'

Oh dear peaked too early, but thanks for the entertainment!!

Agree with their penalty but.... on 12:26 - Jun 19 with 2448 viewsKeaneish

Agree with their penalty but.... on 11:59 - Jun 19 by brazil1982

IMO it's a penalty, as a lower league Ref I probably would have given it, although the attacker certainly makes the most of it to make it look more convincing.

Remember: In the opinion of the referee.

Even though Kyle walker has his back to the striker and is clearly looking at the ball the whole time its in the air? If you give the penalty, you have to say that there was intent. If its an intentional elbow then its a yellow or maybe even a red. I didn't see any intent from Walker to elbow him deliberately.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:38 - Jun 19 with 2435 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:20 - Jun 19 by christiand

Really? Not sure your comprehension skills are up to scratch, perhaps that's the problem? It doesn't confirm anything other than it was 'debatable' you said early that Ferdinand didn't think it was. Your words: 'I didn't see/hear Glenn Hoddle's view but Rio didn't think it was a pen.'

Oh dear peaked too early, but thanks for the entertainment!!

Ha, neatly sidestepping your comment there!

Yes, I said he didn't think it WAS a pen. He didn't. He thought it debatable.

You definitely said he felt it was a Tunisian penalty. Which he didn't, and which I have just proved with his actual words, i win, you lose, thank you ladies and gentleman, I'm sure we all have homes to go to.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:48 - Jun 19 with 2414 viewsDyland

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:38 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

You definitely said he felt it was a Tunisian penalty. Which he didn't, and which I have just proved with his actual words, i win, you lose, thank you ladies and gentleman, I'm sure we all have homes to go to.

I don't think this one's going to go down as one of the great heavyweight TWTD debates tbh.

I.e. get a room somewhere else and stop ruining an otherwise decent thread :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:11 - Jun 19 with 2403 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:48 - Jun 19 by Dyland

I don't think this one's going to go down as one of the great heavyweight TWTD debates tbh.

I.e. get a room somewhere else and stop ruining an otherwise decent thread :)

RUINING?!? You people LOVE this stuff!

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:20 - Jun 19 with 2372 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:38 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

Oh, look whose back that garrulous poster still making his point! Fact is he used the term debatable which you don’t seem to comprehend, it doesn’t mean certain. Perhaps look it up you might actually learn something?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 14:24]

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:33 - Jun 19 with 2356 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:20 - Jun 19 by christiand

Oh, look whose back that garrulous poster still making his point! Fact is he used the term debatable which you don’t seem to comprehend, it doesn’t mean certain. Perhaps look it up you might actually learn something?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 14:24]

Who are *you* to call *me* garrulous? I've made exactly the same amount of posts as you in this discussion!!

I do comprehend the word debatable. I haven't said certain. The irony is you have;

"he felt it was a Tunisian penalty"

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:44 - Jun 19 with 2344 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:33 - Jun 19 by BrixtonBlue

Who are *you* to call *me* garrulous? I've made exactly the same amount of posts as you in this discussion!!

I do comprehend the word debatable. I haven't said certain. The irony is you have;

"he felt it was a Tunisian penalty"

Which was then implied by you that Ferdinand said it defiantly wasn’t but uses the word debatable. Mind you, when you have someone celebrating saying they have won, you know what you’re dealing with!

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:58 - Jun 19 with 2335 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:44 - Jun 19 by christiand

Which was then implied by you that Ferdinand said it defiantly wasn’t but uses the word debatable. Mind you, when you have someone celebrating saying they have won, you know what you’re dealing with!

Why haven't you thrown in the towel mate?

I haven't implied he said it definitely wasn't - I brought the word debatable into the conversation after you said "he felt it was a Tunisian penalty".

We have shown you to be incorrect. I linked to him actually saying it.

Can you link to him saying he felt it was a Tunisian penalty? Well can you? i don't think you can! The ball is in your court, but can you return it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024