Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 01:56 - Jun 19 with 3791 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Here we go again! The best flat meeting of the year kicks off with the single best day of flat racing in the British calendar. I will be donning my suit and shoes for the first two days before watching the latter three on the tele. My NAP of the week runs on the Wednesday so I will cheer her on trackside.

2:30 — Queen Anne (Group 1)
The week kicks off in great style as the older milers take centre stage for the curtain raiser. Rhododendron will go off favourite after her Lockinge success last time. The Aiden O’Brien filly finished runner up in two classics last year and should go well again. Lightning Spear was only beaten a head in the aforementioned Lockinge but that was his seasonal debut which is often when he’s at his best. The fast ground is at least in his favour though. Beat The Bank and Limato struggled in the Lockinge and the former wants softer ground whilst the latter doesn’t appear to stay the mile at this level. BENBATL (9/2) often gets overlooked by many but is a consistent sort with a touch of class. He won at this meeting last year and the straight mile, likely run at a fast pace, will play to his strengths here. He won three of his four starts in Meydan this winter and gets the nod here. Recoletes represents France for this and goes in search of a hat trick this term, though may have preferred some rain. Yoshida is the other international runner but, quite frankly, the standard of American turf racing is far below that of the European circuit and I would be stunned if he was to win here. Lord Glitters is an improving handicapper but this is a big ask. The each way play could be Accidental Agent who started slowly but finished well in the Lockinge last time and this stiff mile will suit. He could run on for a place.

3:05 — Coventry (Group 2)
Calyx has been all the rage for this since devouring a decent field on his debut a fortnight ago. The son of Kingman showed his sire’s lightning turn of foot to win by five lengths. I have to say his lack of experience would worry me though. It’s a big jump in class in such a small space of time and as classy as he may be, this could come too soon for him. His main market rival is SERGEI PROKOFIEV (11/4) for Aiden O’Brien who goes in search of his ninth win in the race. The Scat Daddy colt has won his last two starts with the minimum of fuss and has progressed like a good horse in the making. The step up in trip to six furlongs will probably suit but his cruising speed will be his main weapon here. He may just have too much speed for these in what looks to be a superb renewal of Royal ascot’s premier two year old race. Cosmic Law won impressively in the Woodcote at Epsom on Oaks Day but that was on soft ground. Advertise could be anything after winning on his debut, beating some of these in the process. One of those, BURJ (25/1) won his next start impressively and plenty of him is thought of at home. I’ve had a small bet on him at a huge price as I think 25s is somewhat large. Ninetythreetwenty has won both of his starts but will need to improve again against this field. Shine So Bright won a Nottingham maiden on his only start and their maidens very often work out well. The step up in trip will suit and I can see him running well at a big price too.

3:40 — King’s Stand Stakes (Group 1)
LADY AURELIA (15/8) won this in tremendous fashion last year for Wesley Ward. I have her at 7/2 here but am not as confident in her as I was last year. She clearly relishes Ascot and has her ground again. She romped home in the 2016 Queen Mary so goes in search of a Royal Ascot hat-trick. Her main rival in the betting is the Prix De L’Abbaye winner Battaash who, unlike Lady A, won on his reappearance despite missing the start. He’s a very classy horse in his own right but has temperament issues. In both his two year old race here and in the Nunthorpe at York last season, he boiled over massively beforehand. I’ll be watching him in the parade ring before the race to see if he can keep his cool. He doesn’t appear to enjoy the large crowds and the slow canter to the start on the big occasion. If keeping calm, he will surely run a massive race. Kachy has shown some flashy form whilst Blue Point is surely better over six furlongs. Mabs Cross is improving but will need to step up again to go well in this company. Washington DC will finish the race strongly and could run into a place. Overall, it’s a truly brilliant race and the head to head of Lady Aurelia against Battaash could turn out to be the race of the entire week.

4:20 — St James’ Palace (Group 1)
I was on WITHOUT PAROLE (11/4) for the 2000 Guineas — thankfully at non runner no bet — but he missed the race with a minor foot injury. He reappeared at Sandown on ground softer than he would have liked but looked workmanlike to maintain his unbeaten record. Whilst his price is probably on the short side now, I do expect him to show himself as one of the best milers in Britain here with a good performance. On form basis alone, Tip Two Win deserves to be the favourite after his second in the 2000 Guineas. That form is red hot with the third winning the Derby and the fifth filling the runner up spot at Epsom. Assuming that was no fluke, he will go well again here for Richard Teal. Romanised beat Dewhurst winner US Navy Flag in the Irish Guineas and connections of both will be hopeful of big displays again. Jim Crowley has said that Gabr has been crying out for good ground but will need to improve again from his run last time behind the selection. Gustav Klimt was expected to be O’Brien’s best miler during the winter by many but has been beaten in both Guineas comfortably and would need a career best to feature here whilst Wootton represents the French after losing his unbeaten record when fourth in their Guineas. It’s an open race this year without an obvious superstar in the lineup beforehand. Perhaps afterwards, that may have changed.

5:00 - Ascot Stakes (Handicap)
Willie Mullins tends to hold a strong hand in this annually with three winners in the last six runnings of this race. He runs five this year with the unknown quantity of Chelkar getting the vote of confidence from Ryan Moore. That choice of ride from Moore is eye-opening as he clearly believes the unexposed five year old to be Mullins’ best chance. This is a major step up in trip though and it’s hard to back him with any confidence. Of Mullins’ other raiders, Stratum is consistent but has stamina to prove whilst Whiskey Sour is a classy horse but would’ve wanted some cut in the ground. With the ground against him, I will have to look elsewhere from the top weight here. Marie Devie is talented and relishes big field handicaps over hurdles which should bode well. He may have wanted some rain ideally but is capable on this ground too. Lagostovegas was third in the Cesarewitch at Newmarket in this spear and is another of Mullins’ battalion that can’t be ruled out. White Desert is another unknown quantity in the race with the step up in trip and class uncertain to suit. Look My Way held on at Chester from the rapidly closing COEUR DE LION (8/1). The latter sneaks in at the bottom of the weights here, goes well on good ground and the extra two furlongs will suit him down to the ground. Dannyday is a danger with the former Northumberland Plate winner set to be sharper after his solid reappearance last time at Goodwood.

5:35 — Wolferton Stakes (Listed)
Owen Burrows has said that Laraaib is his best chance this week and will be tough to beat in his opinion. He was beaten by a good horse on his return after a hat-trick last season in lower company before ending his campaign with a decent third in a group 3. He deserves his place at the head of the market but it’s an open race and, despite his trainer’s bullish comments, I’ll be taking him on here. For a race full of older horses, there are plenty towards the top of the market on the upgrade. Sir Michael Stoute is the king with older horses and he got Mirage Dancer firing last time at Goodwood to win a similar event. He has a good draw in one and did place at Royal Ascot last year so a big run can be expected. Yucatan drops down in class after playing as the pacemaker on his last few runs for other horses at the yard. Monarchs Glen looked to be going places when ending last season with a double but ran a shocking race last time in Dubai. That run may have been a blip but it tampers confidence of any backers here. Morando should reverse Sandown form with the Queen’s horse Fabricate with a clear run whilst Kidmenever will need to improve on his win at Meydan last time. Big Country is a game sort off the front but will need a career best to figure here and Autocratic is as inconsistent as he is talented. The final bet of the day for me goes to SHARJA BRIDGE (7/1) who I actually backed NRNB at 20/1 antepost for the Royal Hunt Cup for this week. He is instead upped into listed class for the first time and, whilst only a maiden, he ran a fantastic race in a competitive handicap on his return to finish a close second and could go onto bigger things after this.

Bets:
2:30 — BENBATL @ 9/2
3:05 — SERGEI PROKOFIEV @ 11/4 & BURJ @ 25/1 (small bet)
3:40 — LADY AURELIA @ 7/2 (antepost)
4:20 — WITHOUT PAROLE @ 11/4
5:00 — COEUR DE LION @ 8/1
5:35 — SHARJA BRIDGE @ 7/1

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 02:01 - Jun 19 with 3754 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't mean to preach but you can be a sports fan with getting dragged into horse racing which is basically only to bet on. Spend the time and money elsewhere, you know it makes sense.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 03:45 - Jun 19 with 3716 viewsbluejake78

The Lady....yes please.....I just wish Frankie was on board.
I've still lumped on.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 03:47 - Jun 19 with 3716 viewsbluejake78

Brilliant Romster...Enjoy
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 06:47 - Jun 19 with 3673 viewsBenters2

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 02:01 - Jun 19 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't mean to preach but you can be a sports fan with getting dragged into horse racing which is basically only to bet on. Spend the time and money elsewhere, you know it makes sense.

He wont like that.

Its only fun.

Something like that.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 07:19 - Jun 19 with 3646 viewsRIPbobby

I was talking to the stable lad for calyx and he said that he is certainly one to keep an eye on. But always says cracksman is the best he has ridden.
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 08:20 - Jun 19 with 3593 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

(In the interests of balance and fairness)......who is this Romford fellow you refer to?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 10:51 - Jun 19 with 3525 viewsJ2BLUE

Cheers Rommers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 12:33 - Jun 19 with 3438 viewsRyorry

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 02:01 - Jun 19 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

"Don't mean to preach..."

But you went ahead and did so anyway

And it's not "basically only to bet on" - the global bloodstock (thoroughbred horse breeding) industry, rooted in the UK, is basically one worth billions & a massive net bonus to the UK economy.

Great write-up Rommers, g'luck.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 12:43]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:02 - Jun 19 with 3406 viewsabingdon_blue

Great review as always. Have a good day there Rommers. My selections on day 1 are:

2.30 Recoletos
3.05 Advertise (e/w)
3.40 Mabs Cross (e/w)
4.20 Tip Two Win
5.00 Coeur de Lion
5.35 Autocratic (e/w)
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:12 - Jun 19 with 3395 viewsJ2BLUE

Someone should tell all the people who pay to attend. If it was purely about betting people would stay at home and have every bookie at their fingertips to get the best price.

Truly impaired.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:37 - Jun 19 with 3373 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:12 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

Someone should tell all the people who pay to attend. If it was purely about betting people would stay at home and have every bookie at their fingertips to get the best price.

Indeed

I’m here in me suit all dressed up enjoying the crowds flocking in. Currently in the sun with a nice cold cider and the footy on the screen.

[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 13:42]

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:41 - Jun 19 with 3364 viewsJ2BLUE

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:37 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Indeed

I’m here in me suit all dressed up enjoying the crowds flocking in. Currently in the sun with a nice cold cider and the footy on the screen.

Enjoy it

Truly impaired.

on 13:48 - Jun 19 with 3352 views_

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 13:37 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Indeed

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:02 - Jun 19 with 3328 viewsfooters

Indeed

Tie UNDER the collar, Rommy! Have a good day mate.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:02 - Jun 19 with 3328 viewsJ2BLUE

on 13:48 - Jun 19 by _

That tie is a shocking effort.

Truly impaired.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:41 - Jun 19 with 3301 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘The each way play could be Accidental Agent who started slowly but finished well in the Lockinge last time and this stiff mile will suit. He could run on for a place. ’

I didn’t have a penny on him despite liking him each way and he p1sses up at 33/1. Ouch.

on 15:36 - Jun 19 with 3228 views_

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 14:02 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

That tie is a shocking effort.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 16:13 - Jun 19 with 3195 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You missed a bit, an important part of race meets it seems;

Wheres the best place to score some coke and have a fight?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 16:36 - Jun 19 with 3165 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 16:13 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

You missed a bit, an important part of race meets it seems;

Wheres the best place to score some coke and have a fight?

In fairness to them, they emailed everyone about the sniffer dogs in operation because of the fighting from the cokeheads.

This is too posh a meeting for them I think anyway. They won’t want to pay £75 a ticket for a punch up when they can go to tracks like Windsor for a tenner to do it.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:20 - Jun 19 with 3126 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 16:36 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

In fairness to them, they emailed everyone about the sniffer dogs in operation because of the fighting from the cokeheads.

This is too posh a meeting for them I think anyway. They won’t want to pay £75 a ticket for a punch up when they can go to tracks like Windsor for a tenner to do it.

Thats good.

Not sure there is such a thing as a posh race meeting, but I know what you mean.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 17:59 - Jun 19 with 3092 viewsWestover

Indeed

Looking good Rommy but Google how to tie a Windsor knot, so much better😎
Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 19:10 - Jun 19 with 3029 viewsSpruceMoose

Indeed

Looking sharp, Rodders.

Although, what the fook is going on with that tie? It's sticking out from under your collar, and have you got one end tucked into your shirt? No, no no, that's not how you do it.

It also looks like you've got your willy out and your trying to hide it.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 19:13]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 19:55 - Jun 19 with 2959 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 19:10 - Jun 19 by SpruceMoose

Looking sharp, Rodders.

Although, what the fook is going on with that tie? It's sticking out from under your collar, and have you got one end tucked into your shirt? No, no no, that's not how you do it.

It also looks like you've got your willy out and your trying to hide it.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 19:13]

Shirt is tucked in my trousers.

Cock is tucked in my sock.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:17 - Jun 19 with 2940 viewsJ2BLUE

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 19:55 - Jun 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Shirt is tucked in my trousers.

Cock is tucked in my sock.

A detachable cock? Whatever next.

Truly impaired.

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:49 - Jun 19 with 2905 viewsWestover

Romford's racing preview - Royal Ascot - Day 1 on 20:17 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

A detachable cock? Whatever next.

No just very long socks ;-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024