Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees 08:08 - Jun 19 with 1598 viewsuefacup81

I understand FIFA's desire to widen the influence of the World Cup by bringing in officials from 'lesser' associations, but surely there's a case that you just put together a pool of referees from the top 10-12 nations?

I mean, Ethiopia, Bahrain, and Tahiti? Come on!

If the World Cup is a showcase for the best players in the world, then surely it should also be a showcase for the best referees as well?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 8:44]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Referees on 10:41 - Jun 19 with 1496 viewsnrb1985

Rubbish.

Good refereeing has been a feature of this world cup. Ref made a poor call for the penalty but both linos were excellent.

Further, we have one of the richest leagues in the world and our referees are abject. Hence we have no representatives there.

V poor post.
Referees on 11:17 - Jun 19 with 1457 viewsusm

Referees on 10:41 - Jun 19 by nrb1985

Rubbish.

Good refereeing has been a feature of this world cup. Ref made a poor call for the penalty but both linos were excellent.

Further, we have one of the richest leagues in the world and our referees are abject. Hence we have no representatives there.

V poor post.

When Sterling missed his sitter, the lino did not put his flag up until after Sterling had put it wide - bear in mind it was Lingard, who passed to Sterling, who was offside.

I thought all of the officials - incl VARs - were poor, but we dealt with it well, which is to our credit.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Referees on 11:35 - Jun 19 with 1439 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Rubbish.

V poor post.

While I'd agree the majority of refereeing has been good, I would not praise the linesmen from last night. They got at least two offside decisions wrong - one of which we were fortunate on as their man was flagged when level before shooting almost clean through - and there were a fair few times I felt they gave throws the wrong way on both sides.

The real issue with the officiating last night though was in the VAR booth. I don't know whether there is a similar international pool of officials who take over for each game in that department or whether it's always the same group, but regardless of whether the men on the pitch missed the hassle Kane was getting, the guys with the replays should never have let play continue.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 11:36]
Referees on 11:59 - Jun 19 with 1415 viewsnrb1985

Referees on 11:35 - Jun 19 by NoCanariesAllowed

While I'd agree the majority of refereeing has been good, I would not praise the linesmen from last night. They got at least two offside decisions wrong - one of which we were fortunate on as their man was flagged when level before shooting almost clean through - and there were a fair few times I felt they gave throws the wrong way on both sides.

The real issue with the officiating last night though was in the VAR booth. I don't know whether there is a similar international pool of officials who take over for each game in that department or whether it's always the same group, but regardless of whether the men on the pitch missed the hassle Kane was getting, the guys with the replays should never have let play continue.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 11:36]

The crux of the OP though is that the officiating was poort because they weren't from traditional footballing nations.

The officiating at this tournament has been light years ahead of the dross we get served up in England - the most traditional of all the footballing nations.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2018 12:00]
Referees on 12:07 - Jun 19 with 1398 viewsshoopdelang

Rubbish.

V poor post.

“ very poor post “

It’s an opinion. You don’t have to agree but don’t be a knob about it.

OP has raised a good point in my opinion refs should be appointed on performances not just to be inclusive.
Referees on 12:13 - Jun 19 with 1386 viewsbrazil1982

We haven't got a Ref on the FIFA approved list, that's why there's not a Ref from England there.
Referees on 13:01 - Jun 19 with 1341 viewsuefacup81

Referees on 12:13 - Jun 19 by brazil1982

We haven't got a Ref on the FIFA approved list, that's why there's not a Ref from England there.

We did, though, until Clattenberg moved to Saudi Arabia.

FIFA had already selected their provisional list, so he was removed and no replacement was added.

There's an article from the S*n on the matter if you care to search for it.

Referees on 13:04 - Jun 19 with 1332 viewsuefacup81

Rubbish.

V poor post.

And the referee last night was weak in the extreme. Take for example the incident where Trippier went to take a free kick about three yards further in than the foul took place.

Rather than be decisive about it, he stood on the edge of the area and let Trippier and the Tunisian bloke argue about it for a good couple of minutes instead.

I'm not saying it was because he was Colombian, but you need better referees than that at a World Cup.

Login to get fewer ads

Referees on 15:08 - Jun 19 with 1265 viewsNo9

Lets face it, the Ref's at PR over the alst few season hail from these sceptred Isles & there are more than a handful who are not up to it.

Number of factors creating the problems from the FA to the media
Guess other nations have the same issues
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024