Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team 09:01 - Jun 19 with 5001 viewsDanFord

I've seen so much of it already since last night. We played the opening game of a tournament, always nervy, in difficult conditions against the highest ranked African side. We started incredibly and could easily have been 4-0 up inside 20 minutes. Sterling missed a sitter, their keeper produced a couple of stunning saves, we really could have annihilated them with better finishing and people would be getting carried away. We were completely in control and then they got a soft penalty which got them back into it and we lost our way a little bit. The fact is that both challenges on Kane should have been penalties, both should have been seen by the referee but the fact the VAR refs saw them, especially the first, and didn't give them sadly raises considerable suspicion because nobody who has ever watched football would argue that first one should not have been given. In these circumstances, after a second half where Tunisia sat deep, wasted time, regularly stood over free kicks without any action from the ref, we dug deep and found the winner that Brazil and Argentina, Spain and Portugal could not find. Germany lost their opener. We did what was necessary, we didn't panic, we could have hammered them on another day. What's there to actually be down about? Sterling was terrible. Lindgard's finishing was uncharacteristically poor but we now know a win against Panama probably puts us through with a game to spare. I'm extremely pleased with last night but it's so sad to see how many people feel we should have beating teams like Tunisia 5-0 when nations with bigger expectations can't beat similar teams, or in the case of France struggled past inferior teams. Sick of the negativity.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:02 - Jun 19 with 4982 viewsartsbossbeard

Paragraphs and line breaks are your friend.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:06 - Jun 19 with 4958 viewsSaleAway

I'm not seeing a lot of negativity. I think we all know where england are.. a young team, with lots of potential, and a big dose of naivety. There's a level of frustration, because we should have beaten Tunisia 5-0 the way we started yesterday - chances that were squandered will cost us later in the tournament.

When you are shown glimpses of how good the team can be, and then it peters out, then its natural for people to look for how we can improve.

I wouldn't change much for the next game though - probably swap Sterling for Rashford... I reckon Sterling on as a sub might get a bit more space, so he can get some confidence, rather than against fresh legs when he gets crowded out.

But other than that, I'm delighted... as you say - we've done what we needed to do. Got away with it a little bit, but how many times have we conceded a sloppy goal that's cost us, so good to get that out of the way.

Onwards and upwards!

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:10 - Jun 19 with 4932 viewschristiand

Your sentiment is a good one!! The best I have seen England play at a major tournament for a long time during that first half. Refreshing to watch, hope that continues on Sunday against Panama. Nature of the beast, there will always be some negativity; plenty of positives too!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:23 - Jun 19 with 4906 viewssoupytwist

I listened to the Guardian World Cup podcast and the Totally Football World Cup podcasts back to back on the way into work this morning and the contrast was marked. The Guardian lot were mostly positive about England’s performance and prospects in the coming games whereas the Football Weekly lot, largely led by James Richardson were very downbeat.

The truth probably lies more towards the Guardian end of the spectrum and anyway given other results so far coming second in this group might not be the worst thing in the world.
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:25 - Jun 19 with 4899 viewsNo9

Did you see the BBC 2 programme about England manager on Sunday evening 21.00?
Your answer is in the programme
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:25 - Jun 19 with 4899 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Most of the comment Ive heard has been largely positive.

Sounds like youve been listenting to a talk sport phone in

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:32 - Jun 19 with 4867 viewsSuperfrans

Tunisia are 21st in the Fifa rankings, the highest ranked African team. You'd think we would have learned by now. They're a good team.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:35 - Jun 19 with 4848 viewsDeano69

Not sure there has been much, other than people saying things like - 'Sterling was terrible. Lindgard's finishing was uncharacteristically poor'

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:36 - Jun 19 with 4839 viewsPinewoodblue

The truth is England made hardwork of it but got the result they deserved. No negativity there.

Thank goodness we have Kane, who has, in his first game, scored twice as many World Cup Finals goals as Wayne Rooney.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:36 - Jun 19 with 4840 viewsTractorWood

Played well first half but ultimately didn't have much to show for it. Dug in and won, which is the most important thing.

Comfortable win against Panama and we'll be on our way.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:37 - Jun 19 with 4833 viewsNo9

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:35 - Jun 19 by Deano69

Not sure there has been much, other than people saying things like - 'Sterling was terrible. Lindgard's finishing was uncharacteristically poor'

Lingard looked as though he was struggling with nerves.

Sterling shows well in domestic football but he has not showed the same competence in Internationals, needs resting at least, waiting for him to shine could be a serious error
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 10:03 - Jun 19 with 4788 viewsFtnfwest

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 09:32 - Jun 19 by Superfrans

Tunisia are 21st in the Fifa rankings, the highest ranked African team. You'd think we would have learned by now. They're a good team.

and seven of them are french
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 10:56 - Jun 19 with 4731 viewsGogs

Pretty much agree with that. The key for me is not to get carried away with it either way. We weren’t that good (but better than I expected in patches), neither were we that bad. A few players were definitely nervous but that was hardly unusual. Some of the press and some fans just can’t see it that way, and we’re either world beaters or no hopers. In truth we’re neither as of now.

As you say, we got a win in the opener, which is all that should be expected really. On another day we’d have put 5 or 6 last them if certain players didn’t have their boots on the wrong feet. Tunisia were pretty poor. We should have plenty enough to beat Panama, which should see us through.
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:01 - Jun 19 with 4709 viewsFtnfwest

most of it was from keown and whoever that bloke commentating was. Sure the intensity dropped off second half but they kept at it pretty well unlike many previous games like that and got their reward
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:04 - Jun 19 with 4704 viewsSaleAway

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:01 - Jun 19 by Ftnfwest

most of it was from keown and whoever that bloke commentating was. Sure the intensity dropped off second half but they kept at it pretty well unlike many previous games like that and got their reward

Keown's commentary was utter gash... competing with Phil Neville for worst co-commentating performance ever...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:15 - Jun 19 with 4680 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:04 - Jun 19 by SaleAway

Keown's commentary was utter gash... competing with Phil Neville for worst co-commentating performance ever...

He always is. He's just not very bright.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 12:07 - Jun 19 with 4594 viewsPinewoodblue

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 11:15 - Jun 19 by Swansea_Blue

He always is. He's just not very bright.

BBC & ITV are competing for the prize for poorest commentary teams. Shame you cannot get a feed, on the red button, without commentary but including stadium noise so you get the atmosphere.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 12:49 - Jun 19 with 4533 viewsBiGDonnie

It's become fashionable to bash England before a balls been kicked. Does my head in, get behind the boys and you never know how far we could go.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 13:12 - Jun 19 with 4501 viewsTJS

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 12:49 - Jun 19 by BiGDonnie

It's become fashionable to bash England before a balls been kicked. Does my head in, get behind the boys and you never know how far we could go.

Yes it's pathetic. Got in the office this morning to a long tirade from some Charlton fan about how sh1t England were in the second half.
I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 13:15 - Jun 19 with 4498 viewsLeoMuff

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 12:49 - Jun 19 by BiGDonnie

It’s a British thing, stuck for conversation ? Then fall back to discussing the weather and how poor the national side is.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I'm sick of the negativity around the national team on 14:39 - Jun 19 with 4401 viewsMetal_Hacker

It's all if's and buts.....I'd have been my nephew's Aunty if I had a pair of t1ts

Deal with the facts , we managed to beat them , simple as that really

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024