Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clueless World Cup comments thread 16:43 - Jun 19 with 1079 viewsDanFord

The beauty of the World Cup is of course that people who have no interest in football for the last 4 years suddenly become experts. I've heard a few crackers today that I thought are worth sharing and no doubt others have had similar comments made by those experts at work or in your family that have popped up since last Thursday:

Work colleague 'I don't think Kane should start next game. He only touched the ball twice and I know he scored but if you had someone better up front like Lindgard, who made loads of chances, then he would have scored a lot more than two'.

A different work colleague 'I don't understand why they haven't just put the Liverpool team in when they got to the Champions League final. Why would they play people that play for Leicester and Leyton Orient who aren't even Premier League clubs'.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Clueless World Cup comments thread on 16:47 - Jun 19 with 1069 viewsJ2BLUE

Idiot on a forum - The World Cup win in 1966. I just can't be proud of it. There is absolutely no way the whole of the ball crossed the line when we went 3-2 up. I've seen it a thousand times and it looks like 80% of the ball was over but there was still a bit that hadn't gone in. So for me, I am proud that we won it, but not that proud because it feels a little tainted. You could argue that we may have won it in 1986 if we hadn't been cheated by Maradona or in 1998 when Campbell's perfectly good goal against the Argie's was ruled out. As I say, you never know. But to have only won the big prize once and for it to be that controversial bothers me. When we won the UEFA Cup, the League, the FA Cup we did it fair and square. It's always annoyed me that England didn't win the final in the correct manner, by the ball clearly crossing the line. Am I alone here? I expect so!

PS - I have seen the videos that claim to reconstruct it and they show it was over the line, but without the cameras in place at the time, these reconstructions can be flawed. The best photo I have ever seen of it showed that landed on the grass of the white line. The reconstructions tend to show it a fraction after it bounced up, where there is then a gap which makes it look like it has crossed the line as you can see a gap between the line and the ball.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Clueless World Cup comments thread on 16:49 - Jun 19 with 1056 viewsDanFord

Clueless World Cup comments thread on 16:47 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

Idiot on a forum - The World Cup win in 1966. I just can't be proud of it. There is absolutely no way the whole of the ball crossed the line when we went 3-2 up. I've seen it a thousand times and it looks like 80% of the ball was over but there was still a bit that hadn't gone in. So for me, I am proud that we won it, but not that proud because it feels a little tainted. You could argue that we may have won it in 1986 if we hadn't been cheated by Maradona or in 1998 when Campbell's perfectly good goal against the Argie's was ruled out. As I say, you never know. But to have only won the big prize once and for it to be that controversial bothers me. When we won the UEFA Cup, the League, the FA Cup we did it fair and square. It's always annoyed me that England didn't win the final in the correct manner, by the ball clearly crossing the line. Am I alone here? I expect so!

PS - I have seen the videos that claim to reconstruct it and they show it was over the line, but without the cameras in place at the time, these reconstructions can be flawed. The best photo I have ever seen of it showed that landed on the grass of the white line. The reconstructions tend to show it a fraction after it bounced up, where there is then a gap which makes it look like it has crossed the line as you can see a gap between the line and the ball.

Fair play J2. You've done me there son. Although I stand by my comments that I'd have preferred to have won it in a manner that wasn't able to be questioned. But after last night with all the video technology that exists but was blatantly ignored by corrupt officials they can all sod off and I will happily take 1966 and claim it as my own!

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Clueless World Cup comments thread on 18:50 - Jun 19 with 970 viewsBlueBadger

Magnificent TWTD-ing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Back of the net. (n/t) on 18:52 - Jun 19 with 966 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024