Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty 13:48 - Jun 21 with 2534 viewsPhilTWTD

Another very contentious penalty via VAR, which I'd assumed was there to end such contentiousness. Got to the stage where the Australian fans seem to be appealing for a penalty each time the ball goes into the box just on the off-chance.
I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 13:56 - Jun 21 with 2438 viewsITFC_Forever

Doesn't sound like a very Australian thing to do.

Oh.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 14:00 - Jun 21 with 2410 viewsStokieBlue

The thing is once the VAR studio have asked the ref to take a look the decision is basically taken away from him. Regardless of whether he thinks it's a penalty or not he can't really go against those in the studio.

I don't think that any ref has done that yet.

O'Neill on ITV adamant that isn't a penalty.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 14:04 - Jun 21 with 2395 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 14:00 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

The thing is once the VAR studio have asked the ref to take a look the decision is basically taken away from him. Regardless of whether he thinks it's a penalty or not he can't really go against those in the studio.

I don't think that any ref has done that yet.

O'Neill on ITV adamant that isn't a penalty.

SB

And even Mark Clattenburg said it wasn't to MO'N's evident amusement. Agree with the point re the referee being left with little option if the VAR studio have given a decision the nod.
I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 14:46 - Jun 21 with 2291 viewsHerbivore

VAR is meant to correct obvious mistakes, I don't see how anyone could conclude that the referee made an obvious mistake by not giving it. It ended up being a very harsh penalty against Denmark and the yellow card was laughable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 18:57 - Jun 21 with 2083 viewsbournemouthblue

the rules seem to gave gone very soft on penalty box fouls

I'd actively encourage one player to fall over in the box during every corner, such as the ridiculousness it has got to now

This needs to be sorted out IMHO, football has got very soft

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 21:21 - Jun 21 with 1965 viewsEly_Blue

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 18:57 - Jun 21 by bournemouthblue

I'd actively encourage one player to fall over in the box during every corner, such as the ridiculousness it has got to now

Unless you are an England player in which case even a full on wwe body slam doesn’t get you a penalty

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 21:30 - Jun 21 with 1941 viewsDarth_Koont

If I could do graphics and Venn diagrams I would. MJAllday, project for you?

I agree that football's got soft but on the other hand the sly, professional niggling fouls have got worse. Where those two overlap you have the contentious decisions.

Maybe a crap, unworkable suggestion but I don't see any need for players to contact other players with their arms unless it's part of a natural movement to kick the ball, head it or slide in for a challenge. That's a whole area that seems like it could be cleaned up with a few directives let alone law changes.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 21:39 - Jun 21 with 1912 viewsStokieBlue

Whereas it's apparently fine to kick the ball at a players head when they are on the ground and just get a yellow.

The whole scale of punishments is off at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 07:24 - Jun 22 with 1708 viewstractorboy1978

Technology should only be used for factual decisions i.e did the ball cross the line or not. I've seen no evidence at this World Cup that the decisions are "more right" because of the introduction of VAR.
I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 10:03 - Jun 22 with 1617 viewsSouperJim

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 07:24 - Jun 22 by tractorboy1978

Technology should only be used for factual decisions i.e did the ball cross the line or not. I've seen no evidence at this World Cup that the decisions are "more right" because of the introduction of VAR.

I agree to a point, but feel VAR could be used for decisions where the ref has blatantly got something wrong or has missed something. I.e. off the ball elbows, mistaken identity handballs in the box etc.

Otherwise, leave it alone and let the ref do his job.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I'm with Johnno on the Australian penalty on 10:53 - Jun 22 with 1584 viewsSwansea_Blue

If that was a penalty we may as well all give up now.

I thought VAR was supposed to be used to correct official's mistakes, not give them opportunities to make more

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024