Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ronaldo vs Messi... 21:05 - Jun 21 with 7452 viewsTIB

I always feel like Ronaldo shows more conjones than Messi when up against it in games like tonight.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:08 - Jun 21 with 4292 viewsHerbivore

Or he has a team around him that actually creates chances for him. He didn't show much in the way of cojones when they got done 4-0 in their opening game of the last World Cup. The truth is both are amazing players but neither can do it all entirely on their own and they will have games where they have little impact.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:19 - Jun 21 with 4276 viewsTIB

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:08 - Jun 21 by Herbivore

Or he has a team around him that actually creates chances for him. He didn't show much in the way of cojones when they got done 4-0 in their opening game of the last World Cup. The truth is both are amazing players but neither can do it all entirely on their own and they will have games where they have little impact.

Argentina have more quality around Messi than Portugal have around Ronaldo...tonight though, at 1-0 down after a soft goal I thought Messi would rouse a response from his teammates...but no. Maybe he’s just not as emotional on the pitch as Ronaldo.

All that said, Argentina scraped through qualifying and have looked bang average so far, you’d think their manager would have changed things up.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:21 - Jun 21 with 4265 viewsDarth_Koont

Exactly. They're both great player but the bigger and defining picture is that Portugal have worked well as a unit and Argentina definitely haven't.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:23 - Jun 21 with 4256 viewsRoyKeanesDog

To be fair Messi IS Argentina's playmaker.

Poll: Best Football Song

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:26 - Jun 21 with 4246 viewsLankHenners

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:19 - Jun 21 by TIB

Argentina have more quality around Messi than Portugal have around Ronaldo...tonight though, at 1-0 down after a soft goal I thought Messi would rouse a response from his teammates...but no. Maybe he’s just not as emotional on the pitch as Ronaldo.

All that said, Argentina scraped through qualifying and have looked bang average so far, you’d think their manager would have changed things up.

The difference is that Ronaldo has a solid, organised, well drilled, if unspectacular team behind him to allow him to stand up front and steal the headlines from his teammates.

Messi on the other hand seems to have found himself surrounded by players who struggle to get any of the basics right and look like total strangers. They can't find a way to get it to Messi effectively and when he drops deep to get it himself he's immediately swamped by at least 3 defenders.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:27 - Jun 21 with 4240 viewsTIB

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:21 - Jun 21 by Darth_Koont

Exactly. They're both great player but the bigger and defining picture is that Portugal have worked well as a unit and Argentina definitely haven't.

Portugal definitely the better unit...but doesn’t mean Messi can’t show some passion and give his teammates an earful to up their game, track back and not persistently foul.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:29 - Jun 21 with 4224 viewsjjblue84

There’s not much doubt now after this World Cup on who’s the greatest !
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:34 - Jun 21 with 4199 viewsDarth_Koont

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:27 - Jun 21 by TIB

Portugal definitely the better unit...but doesn’t mean Messi can’t show some passion and give his teammates an earful to up their game, track back and not persistently foul.

But he's never done that. He's got a different style.

If that's lacking then it's the job of the manager to bring in that type of player or players.

Login to get fewer ads

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:34 - Jun 21 with 4197 viewsSimonds92

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:27 - Jun 21 by TIB

Ronaldo would have been galvanizing this team getting them organised and driven with some inspiration, Messi was anonymous.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:37 - Jun 21 with 4186 viewsJakeITFC

Think Cristiano Ronaldo’s game is ideally suited to the style they play, unbelievably clinical, fantastically strong and fit and amazing in the air.

Messi is a 10 in an absolute shambles of a system. It’s difficult to shine in that mess.

That Sampaoli isn’t building a side to get the best out of the best player to ever play is a bit of an odd choice, but here we are.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:38 - Jun 21 with 4183 viewsLankHenners

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:34 - Jun 21 by Simonds92

Ronaldo would have been galvanizing this team getting them organised and driven with some inspiration, Messi was anonymous.

What does any of that mean? Every man and his dog knows that when the going gets tough for Ronaldo's team he throws a hissy fit and acts like a complete berk until his teammates fashion a chance for him to finish then he gets to make it all about him again.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:39 - Jun 21 with 4174 viewsDarth_Koont

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:29 - Jun 21 by jjblue84

Yeah, let's base it on random games (which is half the charm and excitement of major championships) rather than any consistent year-on-year performance.

FWIW I think both are great players but Messi edges it for how he's defined Barcelona for 10+ years and been instrumental in creating a new level of football. Ronaldo is an exceptional winner who may well rise to the occasion better but don't think he's had a bigger effect on football for that.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:40 - Jun 21 with 4164 viewsKeaneish

Or is that you're using hindsight because you saw Ronaldo bag a hat trick last week?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:43 - Jun 21 with 4161 viewsTIB

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:34 - Jun 21 by Darth_Koont

But he's never done that. He's got a different style.

If that's lacking then it's the job of the manager to bring in that type of player or players.

It should be managers job but I feel like when him and Ronaldo are as good as they are and when your team is struggling that much, you need a player of that ability to steps up. At least we can agree how bad of a team Argentina are playing together.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:49 - Jun 21 with 4145 viewsFtnfwest

Portugal sit back and hit teams on the break so there’s usually more space for Ronaldo to show a bit of individual brilliance. With Argentina even tonight they are the ones trying to break the other side down, plus the onus was on them because Croatia won their first match. Either way there’s always less space for messi and particularly tonight against what is a very good side.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:50 - Jun 21 with 4139 viewsmanchego

Based on the keeper handing the game to Croatia.
Sounds legit.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:51 - Jun 21 with 4133 viewsCurrie10

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:26 - Jun 21 by LankHenners

The difference is that Ronaldo has a solid, organised, well drilled, if unspectacular team behind him to allow him to stand up front and steal the headlines from his teammates.

Messi on the other hand seems to have found himself surrounded by players who struggle to get any of the basics right and look like total strangers. They can't find a way to get it to Messi effectively and when he drops deep to get it himself he's immediately swamped by at least 3 defenders.

Disagree.

Ronaldo would have tried various things that Messi didn't try tonight.

Messi with quality players is the best player ever.

Messi minus different players around him - is he capable of dragging a bunch of players as far as Ronaldo along? Not in a million years is he.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:52 - Jun 21 with 4131 viewsCurrie10

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:34 - Jun 21 by Simonds92

This.
Ronaldo vs Messi... on 22:02 - Jun 21 with 4089 viewsLankHenners

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 21:51 - Jun 21 by Currie10

Disagree.

Messi minus different players around him - is he capable of dragging a bunch of players as far as Ronaldo along? Not in a million years is he.

Like what exactly? And if that is the case why (as has already been mentioned) hasn't he done that in the past for Portugal?

He only 'drags' them in the sense that he's an excellent goalscorer who can ruthlessly finish off what others give him.

Messi was under-par tonight but there's not a whole lot more he can really do in a very disjointed looking team full of players that seemed unable to get anything right.

Ronaldo instead of Messi in that team tonight and Croatia still beat them easily.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 22:04 - Jun 21 with 4081 viewsTIB

Disagree.

You get my point Currie. I can’t divide them for quality, Messi maybe marginally scrapes it but seeing Messi tonight made me think, if I was in a team losing, I’d sooner have Ronaldo there than Messi as he seems to thrive and pick players up in those situations.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 22:56 - Jun 21 with 3999 viewsSE1blue

I always wanted to prefer Messi because of Ronaldo’s personality.

However, Messi falls short of ronaldo in my opinion. A large part of that for me is that Messi has only ever played in Spain, where there are two teams who dominate like Rangers and Celtic.

Ronaldo has been prepared to test himself in different countries and still excelled. I wonder if Messi is just used to winning and almost having it too easy with the players who have surrounded him at Barca.

Think this’ll be Messi’s last World Cup.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 23:01 - Jun 21 with 3988 viewsHerbivore

Lolz.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 23:05 - Jun 21 with 3979 viewsHerbivore

Disagree.

Except when he dragged them to the final of the last World Cup.......

They wouldn't have come close to qualifying this time around without Messi. Google their record without Messi versus their record with him. Portugal on the other hand won the Euro final with Ronaldo going off injured early on. Argentina have some good players but they're an awful team in terms of balance and shape.

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 23:06 - Jun 21 with 3977 viewsHerbivore

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 22:04 - Jun 21 by TIB

You get my point Currie. I can’t divide them for quality, Messi maybe marginally scrapes it but seeing Messi tonight made me think, if I was in a team losing, I’d sooner have Ronaldo there than Messi as he seems to thrive and pick players up in those situations.

Does he?

Ronaldo vs Messi... on 03:27 - Jun 22 with 3863 viewsIllinoisblue

who cares, really? can't we just enjoy them both?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024