Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby loving in laws 20:14 - Jun 22 with 4391 viewsMattinLondon

Firstly, I just want to say that I like watching rugby union despite not knowing a lot of it.

Anyway, my in laws are big rugby union fans and never pass up an opportunity to take the moral high ground when football is mentioned. Does anyone else have the same problem?

The thing I just can’t understand is that despite regularly stating that they don’t like football they seem more obsessed football in terms of going out of their way in criticising it andfirmly believing that if you go to a football match you’re running the real risk of being caught up in a full-on riot. Especially so if my girlfriends brother who rants on and on about it and takes great delight in oddly calling it Wendyball. I don’t get it.
Rugby loving in laws on 20:16 - Jun 22 with 3074 viewsJ2BLUE

Sounds more trouble than she's worth.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rugby loving in laws on 20:17 - Jun 22 with 3071 viewsSpruceMoose

Rugby fan = Norwich

Football fan = Ipswich

Rugby is far more obsessed with Football than the other way round. It the insecurity of being the inferior of the two that causes it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rugby loving in laws on 20:20 - Jun 22 with 3059 viewsMattinLondon

Rugby loving in laws on 20:16 - Jun 22 by J2BLUE

Sounds more trouble than she's worth.

Nah, really get on with the in laws and they are really friendly - apart from this.
Rugby loving in laws on 20:27 - Jun 22 with 3046 viewsDarth_Koont

I love both. But ...

Rugby has been far better over the years at demanding respect for the referee from the players. It’s also far better at responding to the development of the game and making law changes to clarify the shady areas.

But you should mention to them that it’s only in recent years with professionalism that the stakes have been raised and the tensions for players, coaches and fans has risen with it. I certainly wouldn’t take the moral high ground for a sport that has been amateur for the majority of its existence and where by its nature a lot of the aggression is taken out and neutralised on the pitch.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rugby loving in laws on 20:28 - Jun 22 with 3041 viewsSpruceMoose

Rugby loving in laws on 20:27 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

I love both. But ...

Rugby has been far better over the years at demanding respect for the referee from the players. It’s also far better at responding to the development of the game and making law changes to clarify the shady areas.

But you should mention to them that it’s only in recent years with professionalism that the stakes have been raised and the tensions for players, coaches and fans has risen with it. I certainly wouldn’t take the moral high ground for a sport that has been amateur for the majority of its existence and where by its nature a lot of the aggression is taken out and neutralised on the pitch.

Plus, you're far more likely to see the exposed buttocks of a rugby player in public than you ever are with a footballer.

You should point this out too.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 20:28]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rugby loving in laws on 20:32 - Jun 22 with 3023 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Rugby loving in laws on 20:36 - Jun 22 with 3013 viewsfactual_blue

Rugby loving in laws on 20:32 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

Rugby loving in laws on 20:36 - Jun 22 with 3008 viewsfactual_blue

Rugby loving in laws on 20:28 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Plus, you're far more likely to see the exposed buttocks of a rugby player in public than you ever are with a footballer.

And footballers are rarely caught dwarf-tossing.

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby loving in laws on 20:40 - Jun 22 with 3002 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 20:28 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

If you're lucky ...

I only play rugby for the homo-erotic, This is Sparta vibe.

Rugby loving in laws on 21:12 - Jun 22 with 2973 viewsKeno

you can wind them up by mentioning Tom Williams 'bloodgate'

or impress them by comparing David Johnson (the first one) with Wayne Shelford

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Rugby loving in laws on 21:20 - Jun 22 with 2959 viewsSuperblue95

Almost every person who loves rugby and hates football seems to go above and beyond to try and belittle football and big up rugby. It truly is pathetic

As a side note I genuinely can't think of a sport I would rather watch less than rugby

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Rugby loving in laws on 21:25 - Jun 22 with 2947 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 21:20 - Jun 22 by Superblue95

Almost every person who loves rugby and hates football seems to go above and beyond to try and belittle football and big up rugby. It truly is pathetic

As a side note I genuinely can't think of a sport I would rather watch less than rugby

It is pathetic. But aren't you just proving the point the other way?

Rugby loving in laws on 21:30 - Jun 22 with 2927 viewsSuperblue95

Rugby loving in laws on 21:25 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

It is pathetic. But aren't you just proving the point the other way?

Nope because I don't go round telling rugby fans that my sport is better and that theirs is crap, they are free to watch what they want. I just added a comment to a thread on a forum, a thread not started by me.

Quite different I'd say
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 21:31]

Rugby loving in laws on 21:32 - Jun 22 with 2916 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 21:30 - Jun 22 by Superblue95

Nope because I don't go round telling rugby fans that my sport is better and that theirs is crap, they are free to watch what they want. I just added a comment to a thread on a forum, a thread not started by me.

Quite different I'd say
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 21:31]

You just said you can't think of a sport you'd rather watch less than rugby ...

What's the difference between you and a similarly prejudiced rugby fan?

Rugby loving in laws on 21:37 - Jun 22 with 2894 viewsSuperblue95

Rugby loving in laws on 21:32 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

You just said you can't think of a sport you'd rather watch less than rugby ...

What's the difference between you and a similarly prejudiced rugby fan?

It was a comment on a football forum to football fans. I don't go ramming my thoughts about Rugby down a rugby fans throat. However I've known more than one rugby fan to do this to me and other football fans.

Rugby loving in laws on 21:39 - Jun 22 with 2889 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 21:37 - Jun 22 by Superblue95

It was a comment on a football forum to football fans. I don't go ramming my thoughts about Rugby down a rugby fans throat. However I've known more than one rugby fan to do this to me and other football fans.

There are a lot of rugby fans on this forum. It's not one or the other.

Rugby loving in laws on 21:42 - Jun 22 with 2880 viewsSuperblue95

Rugby loving in laws on 21:39 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

There are a lot of rugby fans on this forum. It's not one or the other.

No but people who like rugby and football wouldn't be ramming down my throat that football is crap would they? Would be an odd thing to do

Rugby loving in laws on 21:48 - Jun 22 with 2867 viewsclive_baker

I do like rugby, although I wouldn't say anything close to as much as I love football. International rugby is class, and there's something special about that atmosphere that seems very different to football, particularly when watching England play. Mingling with opposition fans, even sitting next to them, having a beer together after etc, it's a 'nice' day out. Not necessarily better than football by the way, just different. In the cold light of day the segregation of football fans seems so ridiculous that it's even necessary, but, perhaps controversially, it does help to create a bit of an edgy atmosphere that I quite enjoy at football. I'm certainly not one for fighting strangers in the street, in fact I've never thrown a punch in my life outside of a ring. There is something I quite like about that siege mentality though.

As others have said, I don't think I've ever heard a football supporter try to put ruby down. It's an inferiority complex due to football being by far and away the national sport. It's like Wales intense hatred for England but England largely not giving a toss what Wales is up to.

My inlaws are massive Rugby fans too so I feel your pain.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rugby loving in laws on 21:55 - Jun 22 with 2851 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 21:42 - Jun 22 by Superblue95

No but people who like rugby and football wouldn't be ramming down my throat that football is crap would they? Would be an odd thing to do

No. But you've just made a point about saying that rugby is the sport you hate the most.

Just seems hypocritical.

Rugby loving in laws on 21:57 - Jun 22 with 2843 viewsBLUEGOLD

I guess you only need to look at Pepe and Neymar falling over in the last few days to see why it is called Wendyball.

I hate that about football and the lack of respect for the officials.

Football needs to learn that from rugby.

Book every player who dives or who questions an official either during the game or retrospectively if the officials miss it.
Rugby loving in laws on 22:00 - Jun 22 with 2838 viewsSuperblue95

Rugby loving in laws on 21:55 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

No. But you've just made a point about saying that rugby is the sport you hate the most.

Just seems hypocritical.

I don't think I've been a hypocrite at all. Either you've misunderstood my point or chosen to ignore it and take offence that I don't like something you like.

Rugby fans are free to enjoy rugby all they wish with my blessing. I just wish some of them would allow me to do the same with football

Rugby loving in laws on 22:08 - Jun 22 with 2815 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby loving in laws on 22:00 - Jun 22 by Superblue95

I don't think I've been a hypocrite at all. Either you've misunderstood my point or chosen to ignore it and take offence that I don't like something you like.

Rugby fans are free to enjoy rugby all they wish with my blessing. I just wish some of them would allow me to do the same with football

I'm not offended at all. Just trying to understand your logic.

On top of which, I just can't believe that you'd rather watch netball or badminton than rugby. That sounds like a mental disorder.

Rugby loving in laws on 22:22 - Jun 22 with 2787 viewsSuperblue95

Rugby loving in laws on 22:08 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

I'm not offended at all. Just trying to understand your logic.

On top of which, I just can't believe that you'd rather watch netball or badminton than rugby. That sounds like a mental disorder.

Hahaha perhaps I should consult a doctor so. Rugby just isn't my thing, I don't know why, I've just never liked it or been able to watch more than 5 minutes without being extremely bored by it. Perhaps some rugby fans I've encountered have turned me against it more

Popular sport though and enjoyed by many so I don't wish to knock it too much, especially if it makes me sound like a hypocrite

Rugby loving in laws on 22:23 - Jun 22 with 2783 viewsTIB

Ah the classic football vs rugby debate...similar to one I had with a new work colleague recently who said American football was just rugby for wimps. I asked him if he’d played either, he hadn’t so I pointed out he had no right to pass such a bold comment.

The whole footballers are wimps argument from rugby fans is longstanding and massively tedious. I played rugby for years and one of our coaches love a jibe against footballers. To deal with your issue, I’d probably tell them their banter is boring and rugby players are fools for getting so injured for such little pay.

Can I ask, do any of these folk play rugby?

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Rugby loving in laws on 23:08 - Jun 22 with 2724 viewsGodzilla

I like Rugby but it's a minority sport that will always envy the fact that football is the people's sport all over the world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024