Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership 10:53 - Jun 27 with 5182 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Is the headline to an article on the BBC Website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44627990

Discuss..
Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 10:57 - Jun 27 with 3901 viewsDanFord

I'm probably wrong but wasn't a civil partnership giving same sex couples certain rights because they couldn't marry. Then they could marry but they could also not marry and have the same rights. This heterosexual couple could marry have seemingly decided it's not fair that gay people have something they don't, even when they have the exact same benefits available to them through marriage. If you ask me, this shouldn't have been allowed but the civil partnership removed and we go back to the stage of marrying someone if you want to share in all the security that brings. What next? Flat mates claiming on each others life insurance? After all these civil partnerships presumably still need you to sign something saying you are both in it and no doubt need you to sign something saying that you are no longer in it? So what is actually the point of it!

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:06 - Jun 27 with 3881 viewsGarv

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 10:57 - Jun 27 by DanFord

I'm probably wrong but wasn't a civil partnership giving same sex couples certain rights because they couldn't marry. Then they could marry but they could also not marry and have the same rights. This heterosexual couple could marry have seemingly decided it's not fair that gay people have something they don't, even when they have the exact same benefits available to them through marriage. If you ask me, this shouldn't have been allowed but the civil partnership removed and we go back to the stage of marrying someone if you want to share in all the security that brings. What next? Flat mates claiming on each others life insurance? After all these civil partnerships presumably still need you to sign something saying you are both in it and no doubt need you to sign something saying that you are no longer in it? So what is actually the point of it!

Their intention seems to be to break the mould. They seem to be unhappy with the historically sexist nature of marriage, so they've gone away from it. Of course they could have married, taken matters into their own hands and just treated each other equally.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:08 - Jun 27 with 3869 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

From the article:

In a civil partnership, a couple is entitled to the same legal treatment in terms of inheritance, tax, pensions and next-of-kin arrangements as marriage.

So why not get married then? Heterosexual couples have been doing in for hundreds of years.. And if you're not religious then it doesn't have to be in a church (in the eyes of god..) have a civil ceremony, get married in a field, registry office, barn, hotel, castle, tipi etc. the options are pretty broad
Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:09 - Jun 27 with 3865 viewsBrixtonBlue

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 10:57 - Jun 27 by DanFord

I disagree. Why should you have to be 'married' to have the same rights? If they think marriage is an outdated concept and they'd prefer a more modern 'civil partnership' then fair play to them. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is but I don't see why they shouldn't have the same rights.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:10 - Jun 27 with 3861 viewsStokieBlue

Surely just let anyone do whatever they like with whoever they like. Civil partnership or marriage - leave it up to the individuals.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:32 - Jun 27 with 3814 viewsSwansea_Blue

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:10 - Jun 27 by StokieBlue

Surely just let anyone do whatever they like with whoever they like. Civil partnership or marriage - leave it up to the individuals.

SB

Agree; if the system is there is should be applicable to all and people can choose.

What's strange is why we have 2 systems. Surely instead of introducing civil partnerships, the government should have updated marriage laws to allow same sex marriages. Not that it particularly bothers me, but it seems unnecessarily bureaucratic to have two systems that essential achieve the same thing. Which is what we now have off the back of this court ruling.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:34 - Jun 27 with 3803 viewsGavTWTD

From : https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2016/01/what-are-the-difference

What are the Differences Between Marriage and Civil Partnership?

Fundamentally there are no major differences between civil partnerships and marriage but there are some differences including:

Civil partners cannot call themselves “married” for legal purposes.

Civil partnership certificates include the names of both parents of the parties. Marriage certificates include the names of only the fathers of the parties.

Adultery cannot be used as a reason to dissolve the Civil Partnership. In a marriage, if one party is unfaithful this is grounds for divorce. This isn’t the case in civil partnership dissolution. Adultery isn’t recognised in same-sex partners.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:38 - Jun 27 with 3785 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:34 - Jun 27 by GavTWTD

From : https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2016/01/what-are-the-difference

Fundamentally there are no major differences between civil partnerships and marriage but there are some differences including:

Civil partnership certificates include the names of both parents of the parties. Marriage certificates include the names of only the fathers of the parties.

Adultery cannot be used as a reason to dissolve the Civil Partnership. In a marriage, if one party is unfaithful this is grounds for divorce. This isn’t the case in civil partnership dissolution. Adultery isn’t recognised in same-sex partners.

So Civil Partnerships are for Swingers?
Login to get fewer ads

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:41 - Jun 27 with 3772 viewsBlueBadger

It's really something that nobody sane should be getting upset or worried about.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:43 - Jun 27 with 3769 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems to be a new fashion to do something like this. Instead of just treating each other equally and teaching your kids morals and values it's much better to make a big public scene and bring awareness to a point that most people already practice. Seems an attention seeking exercise in pedantry to me.

*waits for Darth or Herbivore*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:45 - Jun 27 with 3757 viewsKeno

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:34 - Jun 27 by GavTWTD

Adultery isn’t recognised in same-sex partners

well blow me, I never knew that

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:45 - Jun 27 with 3755 viewsjeera

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:43 - Jun 27 by J2BLUE

It seems to be a new fashion to do something like this. Instead of just treating each other equally and teaching your kids morals and values it's much better to make a big public scene and bring awareness to a point that most people already practice. Seems an attention seeking exercise in pedantry to me.

Dunno. Is it not more a matter of covering both parties legally in case anything goes wrong?

Like the old 'common law husband/wife'?

I have no idea, just asking.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:47 - Jun 27 with 3742 viewsJ2BLUE

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:45 - Jun 27 by jeera

Dunno. Is it not more a matter of covering both parties legally in case anything goes wrong?

I'm probably being a dick to be fair.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:48 - Jun 27 with 3739 viewsjeera

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:47 - Jun 27 by J2BLUE

Well...

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:49 - Jun 27 with 3727 viewsKeno

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:47 - Jun 27 by J2BLUE

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:53 - Jun 27 with 3714 viewsfooters

It's not new, that's what marriages have always been- big public spectacles.

It often seems to put an unnecessary strain on relationships, too. A mate of mine got married three months ago, I think. Saw a mutual friend last week and heard he'd already filed for divorce! My parents did much the same (thankfully).

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 12:54 - Jun 27 with 3642 viewsflimflam

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 11:45 - Jun 27 by jeera

No such thing as a common law relationship in a court or law which is why this ruling is a good thing as gives couples legal rights without the need to get married.

[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 12:57]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:00 - Jun 27 with 3622 viewsjeera

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 12:54 - Jun 27 by flimflam

No such thing as a common law relationship in a court or law which is why this ruling is a good thing as gives couples legal rights without the need to get married.

[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 12:57]

No, it was just a term people used wasn't it. The common law thing never afforded real protection did it.

I was wondering what the purpose of the civil partnership is as opposed to marriage really.

Poor example, you're right.

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:01 - Jun 27 with 3620 viewsSomethingBlue

Doesn't hurt anyone; I never understand how on earth anyone could get even the slightest bit wound up about such matters.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:14 - Jun 27 with 3587 viewsfactual_blue

Although it will bring Inheritance Tax advantages.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:15 - Jun 27 with 3579 viewsjjblue84

Hilarious, and the sure sign that ‘Equality’ will end up eating itself !!
Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:16 - Jun 27 with 3579 viewsFunge

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:01 - Jun 27 by SomethingBlue

Doesn't hurt anyone; I never understand how on earth anyone could get even the slightest bit wound up about such matters.

Fair point; conversely, tho, I'm not sure why the whole situation is garnering such media attention.
Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:20 - Jun 27 with 3572 viewsjeera

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:16 - Jun 27 by Funge

Fair point; conversely, tho, I'm not sure why the whole situation is garnering such media attention.

Some people go beyond just wanting actual fair rights, and get caught up in it so badly that in their determination will go to all sorts of lengths just to 'be right', or at least to be seen to be right?

I'm not suggesting that's what's happened here.

Just having a moan.

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:23 - Jun 27 with 3549 viewsBlueBadger

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:15 - Jun 27 by jjblue84

Hilarious, and the sure sign that ‘Equality’ will end up eating itself !!

How do you work that one out hen, genius?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:24 - Jun 27 with 3545 viewsfooters

Heterosexual couple win right to civil partnership on 13:23 - Jun 27 by BlueBadger

How do you work that one out hen, genius?

You'll be able to marry a dog next, etc.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024