Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Webster - Absolutely gutted 17:58 - Jun 27 with 6773 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Basically everything to date since end of season has been positive until now. Webster is a player to build the team up from. Gutted. Granted if the deal was huge i would accept it but this is really really poor. He will be worth triple that at the end of this season if he stays fit. Really think it needed to be silly money to get him. If £3.5 mil that is just not good enough. Really dont understand this one personally!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:05 - Jun 27 with 5834 viewsBLUEBEAT

I understand he’s a ‘cultured’ footballer and all that..... but..... he never seemed to be 100% into it and kind of separate to the squad. If that makes sense?

Poll: W or W

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:12 - Jun 27 with 5794 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:05 - Jun 27 by BLUEBEAT

I understand he’s a ‘cultured’ footballer and all that..... but..... he never seemed to be 100% into it and kind of separate to the squad. If that makes sense?

Just feel it was a bit stop start here with niggly injuries but a good preseason and new manager were what he needed. If we are going to pass the ball more than he could have been brilliant. Tough decisions have to be made. I just feel the valuation is all wrong. And with Pompey being set to get 20% of profit it's just really poor business in my opinion. If Hurst pulls a blinder and gets a class replacement in on the cheap.then fair enough i guess but big if and id rather have had Webster and a newbie.

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:13 - Jun 27 with 5788 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Agree totally, I was gutted when it originally broke, but now I can see the logic and understanding surrounding it. To make around 300% return on the original investment is something Evans would not turn down, thats his business model. Buy young players cheap, progress them, sell them on to make a profit to balance the books. The only way we get promoted is through hard work and teamwork, something that was shown at Shrewsbury last year, that's why ME has gone for Hurst.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:15 - Jun 27 with 5772 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:13 - Jun 27 by TheTrueBlue1878

Agree totally, I was gutted when it originally broke, but now I can see the logic and understanding surrounding it. To make around 300% return on the original investment is something Evans would not turn down, thats his business model. Buy young players cheap, progress them, sell them on to make a profit to balance the books. The only way we get promoted is through hard work and teamwork, something that was shown at Shrewsbury last year, that's why ME has gone for Hurst.

Dont get me wrong. I would understand it (still be gutted) if the fee waa too good to turn down. This feels a massive undervaluation.

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:17 - Jun 27 with 5760 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:15 - Jun 27 by Terry_Nutkins

Dont get me wrong. I would understand it (still be gutted) if the fee waa too good to turn down. This feels a massive undervaluation.

Oh I agree completely, I'd have Websters valuation more towards £6million, but I would imagine Evans sees it as £3.5million up front (nice, 300% profit) plus additional £4.5 million over gradual payments as something he simply couldn't bargain around with.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:19 - Jun 27 with 5750 viewsfabian_illness

Really good footballer, but quite lightweight for a centre back and obviously a little injury prone.
Didn’t really show a massive improvement in his time here if anything his playing out from the back went a bit astray.
Don’t forget, he may well have instigated the move himself, no ones to know if he had settled here and may well have alerted his agent to put the word about over the break.
I’m not overly fussed to see him go.
Wish him all the best.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:41 - Jun 27 with 5642 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:17 - Jun 27 by TheTrueBlue1878

Oh I agree completely, I'd have Websters valuation more towards £6million, but I would imagine Evans sees it as £3.5million up front (nice, 300% profit) plus additional £4.5 million over gradual payments as something he simply couldn't bargain around with.

20% of most of that going to Pompey remember. £6 million up front would be minimum. If any of the top up relies on them going up its insane. I am completely all in for Hurst but hope he is thinking long term.

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:46 - Jun 27 with 5600 viewspeterleeblue

Not bothered about him going and its decent business but FFS Bristol City
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 18:48]
Login to get fewer ads

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 19:05 - Jun 27 with 5520 viewsLeoMuff

Everywhere Hurst has been he has built very solid defences, if this is part of the plan then so be it

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 20:06 - Jun 27 with 5311 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:05 - Jun 27 by BLUEBEAT

Injury prone and when played make quite a few mistakes resulting in goals, but going to Bristol City is the bit I don’t understand.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 20:54 - Jun 27 with 5205 viewsHennikerBlu

Would rather he stayed but as others have said injury prone and I am not convinced about his defensive qualities, correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure it was him that put his hand up as he believed the ball was going out for the Norwich away Klose goal, even though Bart was alert to the danger and left his line, a more aware defender would have helped close it out and covered his keeper.

Still if he can keep fit and improve defensively I am sure he will end up a Prem' player, but perhaps on our budget an inconsistent luxury we cannot afford.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:24 - Jun 27 with 5119 viewsxrayspecs

I think how we ultimately view this will depend on how the add-ons are triggered (if appearances great, if England caps not great) and how PH reinvests the money.

I was excited by the recruitment of Webster (thanks MM btw), he has though not yet established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet. He has been hindered by injuries to be fair to him, I am still to be convinced that he is a centre-half we can build a defence around in the way that it was obvious with the likes of Butcher and Bramble when they both broke onto the scene.

PH is going to need to wheel and deal so cashing in on a player of two may be needed to free up funds to bring in four or five players. Burley sold Dyer in the summer ahead of our promotion season to Newcastle for £6m (how much today????). It enabled him to bring in McGreal, Croft, Reuser, J. Wright, and Stewart if my memory is correct . As much as we missed Keiron, his sale enabled us to build a better team.

Perhaps a return to Shrewsbury for a replacement CB is not too far away. Alternatively, there is a promising CB at Portsmouth, Matt Clarke, who could be worth a shout. What I suspect is certain is the PH will have a plan in play already.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:28 - Jun 27 with 5105 viewsxrayspecs

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:46 - Jun 27 by peterleeblue

Not bothered about him going and its decent business but FFS Bristol City
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 18:48]

BCFC are loaded.

Funded by Peter? Hargreaves who co-owns Hargreaves Lansdown.

The spent big two seasons ago and only the last minute sale of Kodja to Villa returned them to a balanced transfer spend.

Did so again last year, albeit had a dreadful season.

They are a money club and only a matter of time before you see them at the top end of the division.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:44 - Jun 27 with 5025 viewsblueislander

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:28 - Jun 27 by xrayspecs

BCFC are loaded.

The spent big two seasons ago and only the last minute sale of Kodja to Villa returned them to a balanced transfer spend.

They are a money club and only a matter of time before you see them at the top end of the division.

I am very disappointed by this. At the end of last season we saw Webster taking the ball from Bart and moving forward to engage the oppsition midfield or passing the ball accurately. Are we really going back to Chambers and hooooof?
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:51 - Jun 27 with 4995 viewsHennikerBlu

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:44 - Jun 27 by blueislander

I am very disappointed by this. At the end of last season we saw Webster taking the ball from Bart and moving forward to engage the oppsition midfield or passing the ball accurately. Are we really going back to Chambers and hooooof?

Fair point, only time will tell. But I would expect/hope Hurst will be alive to the requirement of the need to play more entertainingly. Also lots more to happen pre-season, regarding injury returnees and recruitment I suspect....
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:57 - Jun 27 with 4963 viewsxrayspecs

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:44 - Jun 27 by blueislander

I agree that Luke C is not necessarily the answer, hence who we bring in to replace Webster becomes key.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:59 - Jun 27 with 4958 viewsblueislander

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:51 - Jun 27 by HennikerBlu

Fair point, only time will tell. But I would expect/hope Hurst will be alive to the requirement of the need to play more entertainingly. Also lots more to happen pre-season, regarding injury returnees and recruitment I suspect....

Of course it is too early to make definive judgements, but who of the potential centre backs can actually play football? The only one I can see is Wollfendon.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 22:02 - Jun 27 with 4943 viewsHerbivore

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:15 - Jun 27 by Terry_Nutkins

I really can't see how this is a massive undervaluation to be honest. He's played less than 50 games at this level and has looked a bit iffy in around a third of those, with only a handful of genuinely eye catching performances in the mix. £3.5m with the potential to rise to £8m looks decent money given his injury record and question marks over whether he can be as consistently good as we'd all hoped he might be.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 22:19 - Jun 27 with 4867 viewsbournemouthblue

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 21:28 - Jun 27 by xrayspecs

BCFC are loaded.

Not that they have ever got it right before

They are certainly moving forward but very much a rival potentially

On the face of it, we are getting some return on our investment but if he moves on from Brizzle in a season or so for significantly more than they paid for him, it will be particularly frustrating

If we want to go up, we need to be holding onto players like Webster

Obviously if we end up going up as a result of this money, great but given the lack of money MM was given. I have no confidence Hurst is going to be given any more money.

Hurst really has to be a miracle worker or we are well and truly fecked for the forseable future

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 22:33 - Jun 27 with 4795 viewsxrayspecs

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 22:19 - Jun 27 by bournemouthblue

Not that they have ever got it right before

They are certainly moving forward but very much a rival potentially

On the face of it, we are getting some return on our investment but if he moves on from Brizzle in a season or so for significantly more than they paid for him, it will be particularly frustrating

If we want to go up, we need to be holding onto players like Webster

Obviously if we end up going up as a result of this money, great but given the lack of money MM was given. I have no confidence Hurst is going to be given any more money.

Hurst really has to be a miracle worker or we are well and truly fecked for the forseable future

Lansdown has only started to put serious money into the playing squad in last couple of seasons, after funding the ground redevelopment.

I can see why PH/ME agreed to sell Webster, both what the monies could enable PH to do with the squad and that it is a fair offer for a player who may/not shine at this level in years to come.

I think the big difference between PH and MM is that the former will be looking more at bargains from the lower divisions than MM who shopped higher up the leagues and ended up paying free transfers very decent wages.

I agree that we need to get this right to do well in this league. Despite what ME puts in, we are at a financial disadvantage to the majority of clubs in the league.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 22:46 - Jun 27 with 4744 viewsMelford

It's not even July yet, one player moves on. So what? Already got a CB through the door and he won't be the first in or out. We have a new manager, this is what happens. You have to trust in what he is doing, he obviously has players lined up to come in, the wheels are turning.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:16 - Jun 27 with 4647 viewstractorboy1978

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 18:13 - Jun 27 by TheTrueBlue1878

"The only way we get promoted is through hard work and team work" - and through having some quality.

If this means we don't lose Bart then fantastic but I struggle to see how losing your best players to divisional rivals can be marketed as a positive, particularly if it doesn't lead to any change in budget.
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:26 - Jun 27 with 4610 viewsHerbivore

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:16 - Jun 27 by tractorboy1978

"The only way we get promoted is through hard work and team work" - and through having some quality.

If this means we don't lose Bart then fantastic but I struggle to see how losing your best players to divisional rivals can be marketed as a positive, particularly if it doesn't lead to any change in budget.

You would have to assume that Hurst has been assured that the money will be made available to him to reinvest. I can't imagine any other reason why we'd go ahead with the deal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:30 - Jun 27 with 4597 viewstractorboy1978

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:26 - Jun 27 by Herbivore

You would have to assume that Hurst has been assured that the money will be made available to him to reinvest. I can't imagine any other reason why we'd go ahead with the deal.

I'm sure some will be made available but as we've seen before it won't be the lot (I'll be very surprised if it is anyway) and we will still be shopping in the same market as we would without out.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 23:31]
Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:34 - Jun 27 with 4580 viewslowhouseblue

Webster - Absolutely gutted on 23:26 - Jun 27 by Herbivore

i'm sad to see webster go. but if this means that hurst has a plan and the confidence to pursue it on this scale then that's a big positive. a £5 million / £8 million deal rather dwarfs anything he can have done before, but if he is confident about what follows on form it then it will be very interesting to see.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024