Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Knight 21:20 - Jun 28 with 14555 viewsrayman_10

Apparently gone to Man City for 1 mill

COYB

Ben Knight on 21:24 - Jun 28 with 8389 viewsSuperblue95

Whaaat?! Hurst out

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Ben Knight on 21:26 - Jun 28 with 8342 viewsMullet

That is really galling. Really galling. I'd only seen the bits on social media and England stuff when they came up. So I'm not going to blag being an expert on him, but from everything we'd heard he was going to be the one to continue what we'd seen last season and beyond from the youths coming through.

To lose him now, to get swallowed up in the Citeh factory farm just rankles. I know we have to take the rough with the smooth and this has precious little to do with Hurst (you'd assume) but the fact they can chuck what would be a decent fee for us, on a kid is why it feels like we'll never do more than stay where we are.

Good luck to him, if he makes it there it'd be brilliant, but I wonder how much the fee up front cuts off our potential future earnings on him too. We've seen today how key a sell on is for us and for Pompey and the chains they create.

You're never going to stop the lure being too great, as with Charlie Brown et al. but it makes you wonder if we'll get to a point where we never see our best kids come through because of this.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ben Knight on 21:30 - Jun 28 with 8247 viewsFunge

Ben Knight on 21:26 - Jun 28 by Mullet

That is really galling. Really galling. I'd only seen the bits on social media and England stuff when they came up. So I'm not going to blag being an expert on him, but from everything we'd heard he was going to be the one to continue what we'd seen last season and beyond from the youths coming through.

To lose him now, to get swallowed up in the Citeh factory farm just rankles. I know we have to take the rough with the smooth and this has precious little to do with Hurst (you'd assume) but the fact they can chuck what would be a decent fee for us, on a kid is why it feels like we'll never do more than stay where we are.

Good luck to him, if he makes it there it'd be brilliant, but I wonder how much the fee up front cuts off our potential future earnings on him too. We've seen today how key a sell on is for us and for Pompey and the chains they create.

You're never going to stop the lure being too great, as with Charlie Brown et al. but it makes you wonder if we'll get to a point where we never see our best kids come through because of this.

Fcuks sake - this is the kid Klug said was the best he ever worked with, right?

Almost no point in modern football any more.
Ben Knight on 21:30 - Jun 28 with 8234 viewsGuthrum

Also where this ridiculous and discriminatory "Category 1"/"Category 2" nonsense cuts deep.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ben Knight on 21:31 - Jun 28 with 8209 viewsSWGF

Was told in May that he hadn't signed a contract and his parents were desperate for him to join a premier league club

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Ben Knight on 21:33 - Jun 28 with 8152 viewsblueconscience

Ben Knight on 21:31 - Jun 28 by SWGF

Was told in May that he hadn't signed a contract and his parents were desperate for him to join a premier league club

lets hope it doesn’t all go downhill for him like it has for Sam Ford and Benyu. As he is under pressure to pay his parents mortgage etc by the sounds of it.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Ben Knight on 21:33 - Jun 28 with 8145 viewsgtsb

I can never understand the parents when these decisions come up , unless it's money of course. If I had a son who was gifted at football id rather he played in the championship and proved himself playing games rather than go to a club with numerous players vying for one or two positions.
Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 with 8122 viewsMullet

Ben Knight on 21:30 - Jun 28 by Funge

I believe so, although I'm not sure if that came directly, via Joe or someone else. Certainly very hyped up and highly thought of.

I know players develop at different rates and even not at all, in that transition from u16 to the adult game, however you can sort of see a rational and understandable path when it's Dyer, Bramble, Wickham, and then potentially Andre or Nydam etc.

But to not even glimpse him and know you won't until he's likely on loan to Brizzle after they've spent the GDP of a small dictatorship, or some sh1thouse south coast chancers who are again set about buying a Prem spot, pisses me off.

Login to get fewer ads

Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 with 8111 viewsfloridaboy

It is all about money. Young players only want money. They see the top players on stupid money and want the same.

If he had signed a contract for the Town he would not be on the same money as he will be at City.

Don't blame him and don't blame the club!
Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 with 8096 viewsSWGF

Ben Knight on 21:33 - Jun 28 by blueconscience

lets hope it doesn’t all go downhill for him like it has for Sam Ford and Benyu. As he is under pressure to pay his parents mortgage etc by the sounds of it.

His parents won't have a mortgage from what I heard!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

Ben Knight on 21:38 - Jun 28 with 8038 viewsMullet

Ben Knight on 21:33 - Jun 28 by gtsb

I can never understand the parents when these decisions come up , unless it's money of course. If I had a son who was gifted at football id rather he played in the championship and proved himself playing games rather than go to a club with numerous players vying for one or two positions.

I know firsthand what City will do if they really want your kid to sign. Especially if you're from abroad or a have family in poor countries.

Houses get "given" and all the trinkets to boot. That £1m going to Ipswich will only be part of the story if they really wanted him.

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 with 7993 viewsBrixtonBlue

Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 by floridaboy

It is all about money. Young players only want money. They see the top players on stupid money and want the same.

If he had signed a contract for the Town he would not be on the same money as he will be at City.

Don't blame him and don't blame the club!

"Young players only want money."

Not always true.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 with 7995 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is he the one Joe says is a future star?

The really really good one?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 with 8005 viewsSWGF

Ben Knight on 21:33 - Jun 28 by gtsb

I can fully understand the parents. A life-changing amount of money, setting themselves all up for life before he's started his career.

He could knack his knee next week.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 21:40]

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 with 7987 viewsgtsb

Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 by SWGF

His parents won't have a mortgage from what I heard!

If you are correct then I find that rather sad. At what point does a child become a commodity.
Ben Knight on 21:41 - Jun 28 with 7956 viewsFunge

Ben Knight on 21:35 - Jun 28 by Mullet

I believe so, although I'm not sure if that came directly, via Joe or someone else. Certainly very hyped up and highly thought of.

I know players develop at different rates and even not at all, in that transition from u16 to the adult game, however you can sort of see a rational and understandable path when it's Dyer, Bramble, Wickham, and then potentially Andre or Nydam etc.

But to not even glimpse him and know you won't until he's likely on loan to Brizzle after they've spent the GDP of a small dictatorship, or some sh1thouse south coast chancers who are again set about buying a Prem spot, pisses me off.

Charlie Brown went 2 years ago, right? Has done the cube root of fck-all since, not even Peanuts (sorry...) - really though, he's just vanished into the Chelsea ether. Presumably he might get a loan at Fleetwood or similar if he's lucky?

You'd hope that the club would point to the likes of Nydam, Dozzell & Downes (and Wickham and Rhodes before them) as examples to these kids, that relative paucity in the short-term, can lead to great things in the long term... I don't expect these kids to be at ITFC forever (which in itself is bullsh1t, but there you go....) - they will, however, get a chance here.

Short-sighted and saddening, from all parties involved.

Yeah, fck modern football.
Ben Knight on 21:42 - Jun 28 with 7910 viewsSWGF

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Is he the one Joe says is a future star?

The really really good one?

Yes

Ben Knight on 21:44 - Jun 28 with 7879 viewsSWGF

Ben Knight on 21:30 - Jun 28 by Funge

Was alluded to by Lee O'Neill at one of those fan evening things

Ben Knight on 21:45 - Jun 28 with 7853 viewsMullet

Sounds pretty normal, and I wouldn't want to prejudice or assume anything about them, but unless they're already mega rich they'd have had their heads turned a long time ago knowing they've laid a golden egg so to speak.

Unless they're a Cobbold or a Sheepshanks or something who realistically is going to turn that down out of loyalty to Ipswich, when he could easily get two footed or turn his knee inside out any day.

I taught a kid who was genuinely tagged to go all the way from a young age. They had him as a future Yaya etc. Did a heart scan, found a defect. All gone that instant.

Ben Knight on 21:48 - Jun 28 with 7793 viewsSWGF

Ben Knight on 21:41 - Jun 28 by Funge

Charlie Brown went 2 years ago, right? Has done the cube root of fck-all since, not even Peanuts (sorry...) - really though, he's just vanished into the Chelsea ether. Presumably he might get a loan at Fleetwood or similar if he's lucky?

You'd hope that the club would point to the likes of Nydam, Dozzell & Downes (and Wickham and Rhodes before them) as examples to these kids, that relative paucity in the short-term, can lead to great things in the long term... I don't expect these kids to be at ITFC forever (which in itself is bullsh1t, but there you go....) - they will, however, get a chance here.

Short-sighted and saddening, from all parties involved.

Yeah, fck modern football.

Charlie Brown is 18 & was their Academy top scorer, I believe. See what happens next season.

Ben Knight on 21:48 - Jun 28 with 7760 viewsSlambo

Ben Knight on 21:30 - Jun 28 by Guthrum

Also where this ridiculous and discriminatory "Category 1"/"Category 2" nonsense cuts deep.

This is why football fans need to UNITE and put an end to the despicable EPPP. Just another means for the mega clubs to oppress the smaller ones...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Ben Knight on 21:50 - Jun 28 with 7720 viewsFunge

Ben Knight on 21:48 - Jun 28 by SWGF

Charlie Brown is 18 & was their Academy top scorer, I believe. See what happens next season.

Hmmm.

You have lowered my rant levels from 9 to 7. Fair play, that's quite impressive.

Wish he was doing it for us, though.
Ben Knight on 21:51 - Jun 28 with 7704 viewsIllinoisblue

Ben Knight on 21:39 - Jun 28 by SWGF

I can fully understand the parents. A life-changing amount of money, setting themselves all up for life before he's started his career.

He could knack his knee next week.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 21:40]

exactly this

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ben Knight on 21:51 - Jun 28 with 7685 viewsDubtractor

Ben Knight on 21:48 - Jun 28 by SWGF

He came on in the second leg of the youth cup final for them too.

That Chelsea kids team are unreal too - utterly dismantled Arsenal.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ben Knight on 21:52 - Jun 28 with 7675 viewschristiand

Ben Knight on 21:45 - Jun 28 by Mullet

Sounds pretty normal, and I wouldn't want to prejudice or assume anything about them, but unless they're already mega rich they'd have had their heads turned a long time ago knowing they've laid a golden egg so to speak.

Unless they're a Cobbold or a Sheepshanks or something who realistically is going to turn that down out of loyalty to Ipswich, when he could easily get two footed or turn his knee inside out any day.

I taught a kid who was genuinely tagged to go all the way from a young age. They had him as a future Yaya etc. Did a heart scan, found a defect. All gone that instant.

Just no guarantees. Precocious talents don’t always make it. If this story is true, it could quite easily be another lad that goes by the wayside. He’s now going to be a small fish in a huge pond with many youngsters with that same ability all fighting for that same ‘goal’.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024