Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Knight 10:33 - Jun 29 with 1034 viewsHeathlander

It's tough to take especially as he was described as the best player to come out of our academy and we will never see him play for ITFC.

It doesn't always work out. A lad and his family were apparently offered 30K to leave ITFC and go to Arsenal. Was described as the best centre half for his age in the country by the arsenal scout. He decided to stay. He's not here anymore and left for a free transfer.

So taking a million may be the best thing in the long run or it may not. Who's to say. Parents and kids heads do get turned. Can't say I blame them. Good luck to the lad.
Ben Knight on 13:12 - Jun 29 with 907 viewssoupytwist

In all of this I bear in mind the experience of someone I vaguely know. His son was in the Cambridge United academy set up at about 10 years old. A couple of years later ITFC came calling and he switched to us. He's recently been released by us - there's no sentiment on the part of the clubs and the family has to do what it thinks best.

I hope Knight does well.
Ben Knight on 13:18 - Jun 29 with 890 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Also, as much as it's in our club's best interests to keep young players and let them go only how and when it suits us, not sure that's morally right.

I don't like the idea of 15-16 year olds being "owned" or even subject to contractual agreements regarding their football and the path of their careers. 17-18 feels much more reasonable to expect them to make and honour a commitment.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024